Thoughts on Ribrianne?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Thoughts on Ribrianne?

Post by Weejus » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:36 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:Yeah I'm not surprised with how well U7 did either as you said they are the main universe. I just wish that they would have given some wins to the other universes because U7 being so dominant throughout the tournament killed a lot of the tension the arc could have had, but that's a issue for another topic. Also I'll agree that it was nice to some of the side characters from U7 get time to shine though I do think Krillin, Tien, and even Piccolo could have done better. And in regards to Ribrianne it's not like at first I wanted her to knockout 18 I had just assumed she would based off of how much they seemed to be building her up, but again that was me just assuming things. Which is why now I hope she at the very least is able to knockout 18 in the manga version. And as much as I would like Ribrianne to come back I think only U6 and U11 will be used in the future of the series.
Honestly I think Universe 2 and Ribrianne have a pretty decent chance of coming back for the next series, if their is one, then we might think. Not only cause of how much development they got or because Toei is the Main house of the Biggest Magical Girl Shows, but at least 2 times I have heard in Japan that Japaneses fans Pretty Much Like Ribrianne's character more then we get in sections on the net here in the west.
While I admire your enthusiasm, do you have any proof that Ribrianne is well liked in Japan? I don't mean like 'magical girls are popular in Japan, therefore Ribrianne must be popular' statements, I mean like actual opinions/statistics from portions of the Japanese DB fanbase.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Weejus wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:Yeah I'm not surprised with how well U7 did either as you said they are the main universe. I just wish that they would have given some wins to the other universes because U7 being so dominant throughout the tournament killed a lot of the tension the arc could have had, but that's a issue for another topic. Also I'll agree that it was nice to some of the side characters from U7 get time to shine though I do think Krillin, Tien, and even Piccolo could have done better. And in regards to Ribrianne it's not like at first I wanted her to knockout 18 I had just assumed she would based off of how much they seemed to be building her up, but again that was me just assuming things. Which is why now I hope she at the very least is able to knockout 18 in the manga version. And as much as I would like Ribrianne to come back I think only U6 and U11 will be used in the future of the series.
Honestly I think Universe 2 and Ribrianne have a pretty decent chance of coming back for the next series, if their is one, then we might think. Not only cause of how much development they got or because Toei is the Main house of the Biggest Magical Girl Shows, but at least 2 times I have heard in Japan that Japaneses fans Pretty Much Like Ribrianne's character more then we get in sections on the net here in the west.
While I admire your enthusiasm, do you have any proof that Ribrianne is well liked in Japan? I don't mean like 'magical girls are popular in Japan, therefore Ribrianne must be popular' statements, I mean like actual opinions/statistics from portions of the Japanese DB fanbase.
It is something I don't put all stock in, but it is interesting. It mostly started when a Fan here said a few months ago they talked to a friend that monitors chatter on fandom and topics about Super and other Anime on Twitter and found that their was allot of positive chatter in Japan and Liking of Ribrianne in Super. Again while cool to hear I only took that as one example and while it is nice to hear, can't put all faith in that until you get more real polling done.

It was also brought up again on Tumbler by a fan they heard as well Ribrianne was popular in Japan too. It adds to the 1st one and gives some more to it, but again it is not the scientific polling I would like. So most of it is is what Fans have been saying those times online, so most of it is by Fans word of mouth. It is good and would not surprise me knowing Japan's long love history with Magical Girls, but more is without a-doubt needed to cement it more, but still good to hear chatter in other areas of the fanbase is on the good side if the word of mouth is true.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:47 pm

Lionel wrote:Criminally one-dimensional with respect to her notions of "love". It would have been just as easy to portray her as an espouser for sensualism and lust because that's what her ideals amounted to. Her adoring fans marched lock-step like some collective hivemind of ants behind her who were incapable of doing anything except venerating the ground that she and her little posse walked on. It was a hollowed out gesture for such a multivariously complicated idea like "love".

Love isn't something that you can just write off as glamourous and sexualising. It's intense, possessing, even destructive... Love can mean so many things to any number of people. There's a love of significant others, romantic companions, obviously. But then you have a love of familial ones, compatriots, or even a distortive love or attachment to enemies for some eccentric sequence of circumstances that lead to such a point. Love isn't relegated to just people, neither -- a person could harbour a love of country, of beliefs. In the right mindset a person can extrapolate the meaning of love to include things such as a neurotic mania for destruction, murder, violence, criminality, and all sorts of nefarious activities which wouldn't normally be characterised with such a descriptive positive term.

Point is, love is an open interpretative ideal with people defining it in so many different contexts to contain some type of meaning with the actions and emotions they feel in their lives. Ribrianne wasn't much better for an idealist of love than Mr Satan's narcissistic filler playboy student, Caroni.
Honestly I think you are asking the right questions their Lionel, but really we have to accept it was never going to be answered in the Timeframe the ToP gave us. Some fans already have complained Ribrianne got to much screen-time, an ideal I am firmly against, the time she got gave her some decent development. So to get down to an answer about what kind of love she represents her character and universe would have needed more time to have a backstory given to towards their ideals, similar towards we would have needed more time towards what does JUSTICE exactly means when Toppo and the Pride-Troopers say that is their highest ideals.

The best way for any story like this would be in an origins storyline, one that takes it time and focuses on the main protagonists like Brianne and the Fireballs and the journey as to why both them and their Universe hold that the Highest ideal of life is that of the emotional spectrum of Love. How did they arive at that point and why do so many believe in it. In the hands of dedicated writers and either a show or manga would be an interesting story I be firmly behind in supporting and discussion if ever made cause I truly want to know the main bases of their ideals of love based on as you put it the different philosophical and emotional ideals of love.

Honestly I don't think we should see U2 or Brianne's ideals of love in either being one-dimensional, vapid or just zombie like by the citizens of U2. What as watchers we need to do is put ourselves into the real life view that this is a universe we just got introduced to and we know nothing of their backstory, journey, path of their idealism of love, etc. Same goes with all the other Universes, we don't know their backstory and why they are who they are, we GET U7 cause we have been with them for 100's of episodes, if we where with U11 or U2 or U6 for even 1/10 of that time we have seen U7 we have more definition as well. As fans we just have to accept for now it is mostly a mystery to us and we should open up to the ideal that we never had enough time to get to know the deeper reasoning of their idealism cause their was not enough story time this time around.

We SHOULD desire however to have more given to us to understand them and that is something like I mentioned early i greatly desire to have.

In the end we should not brush off U2 or U11 or any other universe's ideals yet cause we got fastly introed to them and in fairness of how long we got to see U7 defined to us in depth, we need storytellers if they choose to to tell us more in-depth of U2's ideals of Love or U11's ideals of Justices and so on about other Univeres.

Personally I think their love, as a theory of mine, stems from what we seem from most Magical Girl Shows like Friendship and living in peace with one another, brotherly love 1960's style short of, but that is just my theory, we should want Toei to define this more for us as fans if we want to see that. : :angel:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker