Thoughts on Ribrianne?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Thoughts on Ribrianne?

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:13 pm

She would have been great if she had only ACTUALLY BEEN A STRONG FIGHTER. All she does is get thrown around by universe 7's team a bit, not even forcing Goku or Vegeta to use ssj. Then in her final episode she transforms and literally gets one-shotted out. She was an overhyped time-waster.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:15 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:She would have been great if she had only ACTUALLY BEEN A STRONG FIGHTER. All she does is get thrown around by universe 7's team a bit, not even forcing Goku or Vegeta to use ssj. Then in her final episode she transforms and literally gets one-shotted out. She was an overhyped time-waster.
AND she was ugly. Lose/lose
/s
Get Fucked, C_unt

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:28 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:She would have been great if she had only ACTUALLY BEEN A STRONG FIGHTER. All she does is get thrown around by universe 7's team a bit, not even forcing Goku or Vegeta to use ssj. Then in her final episode she transforms and literally gets one-shotted out. She was an overhyped time-waster.
She fought with SSJ Vegeta in episode 102.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:50 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
/s
For plenty of people that's their only reason for hating her, but personally I might have actually liked her if she actually acted as anything other than a minor annoyance to her opponents.

Also, I'm well aware Vegeta was ssj for a bit but I'm prone to hyperbole. Also, Vegeta literally just stopped fighting her because he thought she was gross. Like, how am I supposed to see a character as a serious fight after someone literally stops fighting them because "ew it's a fat pink teletubby. I could beat her easily but I'll just choose not to because that's gross."

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:33 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
/s
For plenty of people that's their only reason for hating her, but personally I might have actually liked her if she actually acted as anything other than a minor annoyance to her opponents.

Also, I'm well aware Vegeta was ssj for a bit but I'm prone to hyperbole. Also, Vegeta literally just stopped fighting her because he thought she was gross. Like, how am I supposed to see a character as a serious fight after someone literally stops fighting them because "ew it's a fat pink teletubby. I could beat her easily but I'll just choose not to because that's gross."
Really that is not a standard to go well by in determining Ribrianne's power early on the the ToP when the writing was still good.

Vegeta Ran from Ribrianne cause of his strange standards of what he thinks makes a lady pretty. It had nothing to do with power or fighting levels, he ran over his standards and never came-back to finish the fight for whatever reasons. So that not truly a decent way to give standards on Ribrianne's power base and strength based on Vegeta's strange standards of the beauty of women is in his eyes and how he acts upon them.

It also seemed like the Writing from in the beginning ToP episodes seem to be playing up a more hard-knocks fight between universes then what we got after. Ribrianne's Power Showings in 102-103 are Impossible to Ignore and show IMO how the standard of writing when downhill by the Super Writing staff shortly after that when the ToP became just a Dancing line of who U7 would eliminate next. When you have SSJ-Vegeta and 17 who are powerful characters Openly give Credit to Ribrianne's power, it is not something to ignore and makes the writing more sub-standard when we get to the base Goku fight with no explanations.

The penalty for this is clearly in the Super Writing staff's corner and not in the persona of the character of Ribrianne or how early on she was written well in how strong she was. We need to hold story tellers to a higher standard and remember that it is them that fail us when a character is not written to the standards that they promised to write them like they did earlier on in the story.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:58 pm

She might have a better showing in the manga version.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:29 pm

Weejus wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:Speaking on Thoughts on Ribrianne, So POST-Super news on the Video Game Front;

A game I am just hearing about, DBZ: Dokkan Battle, Has Just Started an Event Called;

Spread Love! Magical Girl Fighters! 8) :angel: :thumbup:

So Far you can Only Recruit Super Ribrianne to your team, Hopefully the other Fireballs will Follow but now I am interested in this game if I can find it, but PRAISES to this Game from me that it One to Include a FULLY Playable Ribrianne and in her Super Form!!! :thumbup: :D

Life has its little Surprises of Grandness at Times! :wink: :clap:
You better believe I'm farming those SSR Ribriannes. Speaking of card games, are you aware that the Dragon Ball Super TCG has a ToP-themed set coming out (in the US) in May, with some universe 2 themed cards? There's supposedly a few Ribrianne cards (no leader), a Rozie, a Kakunsa, and a 'Maiden Transformation' non-battle card.
I hope your Farming is a success and you are able to get her! I tried to get the game myself but so far not able to find the time yet or the room on my phone to add it in, but I am just Happy to know Ribrianne and the Girls are getting more of a push into DB Games!

Same with that TCG you mentioned, sounds awesome, will be looking forward to it! :thumbup:
My #1 in DB!

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:47 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:She might have a better showing in the manga version.
While indeed I have problems with the power-scaling and how well her portray in her fights where in later episodes, I Greatly enjoyed her character develop and growth as a character. It was more then just gaining a new form or new power, it was taking in new ideals of what love can be and accepting she can do better in her own ideals. Not bitter, but optimistic and mostly caring about the well-being of her Universe above most else after she was eliminated. But what made episodes like 118 so good to as that while Brianne could become better in understanding greater forms of Love, her Own Ideals of Love and her universes ideals of Love where show as genuine good as well, one I felt fully gave a round ideal of her character, she was good and earned her place in her universe by her ideals of Love, but can improve as well like any Magical Girl learns to improve. :wink:

Adding to that, how she rallied her Universe in 118 and shared all she could to try to help the last 3 warriors of U2 win, her pondering about the stakes of losing in 111 and her caring about her friends like we saw in 103, I was generally pleased with Ribrianne/Brianne's personal character development as a starting point for her at the very least in her intro to the DB Mythos.

So overall character wise I felt she had a good showing. :thumbup:

The Manga I hope to for such a character development showings as well, but more then not it be nice to have a better writing showing of her powers and her level to the degree the Anime was doing well with her in the start of the ToP and not how careless they become later on.
My #1 in DB!

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:21 am

She had a good start and good end, it was the middle that seemed off. I loved her introduction making fun of the magical girl trope. I loved her final fight with 18 about their philosophies on love and how gracefully she took being erased. Now it was stuff in the middle that seemed off. Her short fight with Goku was meh although I do appreciate her talk with her friend that love will win when she was breaking down.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:47 am

I loathed Ribrianne with a vengeance until the episode where U2 got erased where I liked her in that episode.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:13 am

She was a terrible character that a mass of people heavily disliked. The biggest flaw with Ribrianne was the amount of screentime she received. This is a character that should have merely been used for ONE magical girl gag scene and eliminated instantly, possibly by Android 17 as she was transforming. That would have been hilarious.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:46 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:She was a terrible character that a mass of people heavily disliked. The biggest flaw with Ribrianne was the amount of screentime she received. This is a character that should have merely been used for ONE magical girl gag scene and eliminated instantly, possibly by Android 17 as she was transforming. That would have been hilarious.
What made her so terrible?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:30 am

Weejus wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:She was a terrible character that a mass of people heavily disliked. The biggest flaw with Ribrianne was the amount of screentime she received. This is a character that should have merely been used for ONE magical girl gag scene and eliminated instantly, possibly by Android 17 as she was transforming. That would have been hilarious.
She was a gag character that got old really quick. Imagine Mr Satan at the Cell Games and the Ginyu Force merged together... that's her.

The sad thing is that the concept of Ribrianne was quite unique with Dragon Ball's confines, but TOEi just did not know what to do with her after Episode 101. This is highlighted by how much her strength swings in various episodes.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:15 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Weejus wrote:
She was a gag character that got old really quick. Imagine Mr Satan at the Cell Games and the Ginyu Force merged together... that's her.

The sad thing is that the concept of Ribrianne was quite unique with Dragon Ball's confines, but TOEi just did not know what to do with her after Episode 101. This is highlighted by how much he strength swings in various episodes.
Oh, I'm well aware of what Ribrianne is (and I think she's fantastic, though I won't discredit those who got sick of her), but I wanted to know what fadeddreams5 thought made her such a bad character. I've already gone at length as to why I feel what many perceive to be her weaknesses are actually her strengths, so I'll spare you that.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:20 am

Criminally one-dimensional with respect to her notions of "love". It would have been just as easy to portray her as an espouser for sensualism and lust because that's what her ideals amounted to. Her adoring fans marched lock-step like some collective hivemind of ants behind her who were incapable of doing anything except venerating the ground that she and her little posse walked on. It was a hollowed out gesture for such a multivariously complicated idea like "love".

Love isn't something that you can just write off as glamourous and sexualising. It's intense, possessing, even destructive... Love can mean so many things to any number of people. There's a love of significant others, romantic companions, obviously. But then you have a love of familial ones, compatriots, or even a distortive love or attachment to enemies for some eccentric sequence of circumstances that lead to such a point. Love isn't relegated to just people, neither -- a person could harbour a love of country, of beliefs. In the right mindset a person can extrapolate the meaning of love to include things such as a neurotic mania for destruction, murder, violence, criminality, and all sorts of nefarious activities which wouldn't normally be characterised with such a descriptive positive term.

Point is, love is an open interpretative ideal with people defining it in so many different contexts to contain some type of meaning with the actions and emotions they feel in their lives. Ribrianne wasn't much better for an idealist of love than Mr Satan's narcissistic filler playboy student, Caroni.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:29 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Weejus wrote:

The sad thing is that the concept of Ribrianne was quite unique with Dragon Ball's confines, but TOEi just did not know what to do with her after Episode 101. This is highlighted by how much he strength swings in various episodes.
That seems to be the major problem and debate amoung Ribrianne, a Tale of Two different character stories.

The 1st Tale I think to many fans just don't seem to look past the Gag-Humor she gave to the series and think that is all her character was about which while yea she had good funny moments it never made sense why that seems to be all anyone talks about when their was plenty more to her character then even what many got by the end.

The 2nd Tale is what Fans of Ribrianne like me and I have seen others too in degreed have been saying what we got from her story in the ToP, what was present in the dialogue and art. In episodes 102-103 you had a Girls that where homages to the Magical Girl Franchises that LETS Not Forget Toei Owns the Biggest 2 in the World, Sailor Moon and Precure. Also before going further, Ribrianne/Brianne was Voice by one of their Precure Actresses who did the Voice of Cure Honey in the Precure Series HappinessCharge PreCure. So I don't think Toei was just making a throwaway character by putting one of their well known recent actresses in one of their Big cash cow shows into such a role for nothing.

Back Now, Pretty clear they where homaging what is known as power of the Emotional Spectrum like in Green Lantern Comics, in this case love. For episodes 102-103 we found out she was the beloved hero of her Whole Universe, their Grand Champion and Even in episode 118 Called Goddess Ribrianne to some of the fans watching. This is WAY Beyond what Mr. Satan was in the Cell Saga who was a Dragon Ball original season level warrior who only was about Spectacle and trying to undermined the Z-Warriors to save his own reputation during the event and stole the spotlight when no one was looking. Yes we need backstory to Brianne and how she become Such an Icon in Universe 2, but we WANT that story to know how and why, but after seeing what she could do against SSJ-Vegeta and Android 17 it was shown she was not lightweight in matters of power unlike Mr. Satan who got 1 slapped by Cell and just spectated for most the rest of his character arcs until Kid-Buu.

Within episode 103 when Kakunsa got ringed out it Greatly Upset Ribrianne showing a great idealism to her is her friendship and connections to her teammates, losing them upset her and she went on to Got Toe-to-Toe with Android 17 impressing him and breaking his bare with one punch, even jumping in to save Rozie over her fight with Android 17, showing like most Magical Girls do that their Friendships and defending their friends matter above most anything else.

Ribrianne also had one of the only deep character moments in taking in what it meant to lose the ToP in episode 111, the moment that Rozie slapped her to snap her out of her doubt and believe again in their ideas of love. In the whole of the ToP arc for Justifiable reasons, MANY Fans I saw on the net where upset many characters, mainly Main Characters like Goku, almost never gave lip service even to their Universes maybe being erased or what that meant. It was frustrating, so to hear Ribrianne give weight to the degree it meant to lose was a welcome breath of fresh and showed development in what she would fight for going forward.

Episodes 117 showed that while Brianne's ideals of Love where genuine, she had to learn new forms of it in the case of Romance love like 18 and Krillian had and Unlike some fighters who in the ToP got upset and even angry on how they lost, Brianne took it at a learning moment to realize she needed to grow in her ideals of love to become better, an really genuine character growth moment that was not about just the next power-up or hair color change.

118 was the Golden Standard of Brianne's character where we found out about how much Universe 2 looked up to her and their warriors and Brianne's 1st concern was not feel bad for me I lost, all is lost, it is that Support the last 3 Warriors of Universe 2 left, give them all your support, prays and love to win. For a character that was labled as hollow, she easily was shown in the role as a lady that leads not just a planet but the ideals of a whole universe on her shoulders and how many look up to her cause of that. She rallyed her Unvierse and even really Told then the Truth by broadcasting the fight to them unlike other Universes that kept secret their coming Doomsday, their is allot of Honor in that showing have transparent Brianne and the U2 warriors where with their Citizens, another heroic ideal. Finally Brianne gave in their last moment of power her prays and the ideal to say out loud pray of love of the last 3 warriors, in the end Given her powers and the other Fireballs powers to the last 3 warriors. This showed a great sense of humility and the ideal that protect their universe was above all else, again for a character that was deemed as hollow and selfish this seems really out of character don't you think. :wink:

As goes too the Finally Erasing of Universe 2 until they are brought back was a noble moment for them, no matter what they went out as a family and kept their ideals of love until the end, not cursing it or saying the U7 way of power is better, but this is who we are and no matter what we go as we live, they did it their way.

These are just some of the moments Fans of Ribrianne like me saw in this, not head-cannon or wishfulness, it was what the story said and spoke to us about Ribrianne. I wish many fans that disliked the characters would open their minds, calm down and just think for about about some of what I said here and re-examine Ribrianne's journey in the ToP Arc. She is not threat in De-Throwning Goku or Vegeta from their positions in the Mythos nor is she a threat to un-establishing most of the main ideals of what many feel dragon ball is about, she is just New, Unique characters that while needed some fine-tuning, is a style of character I and other fans of Magical Girls for over 20 years of know very well about and is why we Love her Character so dearly both the good we see and the fine-tuning we know that is still needed.

Yes their is MUCH more she needs, but for an intro this was more then I thought I would get and it gave me allot to positively chew on. You take what you get and form ones view the best one can from that, in this case the form I saw Toei gave to Ribrianne/Brianne while needed to iron things out, gave a view a Heroic Yet Flawed girl who cared deeply about her Universe and her Friends and her ideals of love, yet is show to stumble in her beliefs but is willing to make them better when she learns a new lesson...........pretty much the basic persona of many Magical Girl Characters that I and others have come to love! :thumbup:
Last edited by CJStriker_CBR on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
My #1 in DB!

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:37 am

I don't hate her, but I certainly don't like her that much either. She's overstayed her welcome and she got progressively more annoying with her long monologues about love that really have no substance to them, I get that she's a joke character, but her shitck isn't funny any more after two or three episodes. Part of what made characters like Dr. Rota hilarious to me was that he didn't overstay his welcome, which helped leave a good impression on me.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:29 pm

If she knocked out the Androids then I would currently like her a lot more. :)

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Lionel wrote:Criminally one-dimensional with respect to her notions of "love". It would have been just as easy to portray her as an espouser for sensualism and lust because that's what her ideals amounted to. Her adoring fans marched lock-step like some collective hivemind of ants behind her who were incapable of doing anything except venerating the ground that she and her little posse walked on. It was a hollowed out gesture for such a multivariously complicated idea like "love".

Love isn't something that you can just write off as glamourous and sexualising. It's intense, possessing, even destructive... Love can mean so many things to any number of people. There's a love of significant others, romantic companions, obviously. But then you have a love of familial ones, compatriots, or even a distortive love or attachment to enemies for some eccentric sequence of circumstances that lead to such a point. Love isn't relegated to just people, neither -- a person could harbour a love of country, of beliefs. In the right mindset a person can extrapolate the meaning of love to include things such as a neurotic mania for destruction, murder, violence, criminality, and all sorts of nefarious activities which wouldn't normally be characterised with such a descriptive positive term.

Point is, love is an open interpretative ideal with people defining it in so many different contexts to contain some type of meaning with the actions and emotions they feel in their lives. Ribrianne wasn't much better for an idealist of love than Mr Satan's narcissistic filler playboy student, Caroni.
Personally, I see this as its own interesting concept. If the Dragon Ball multiverse is so vast, why wouldn't a universe be 'led' by a character with misconceived ideals, as well as having everyone worship her for it? Had the writers perhaps doubled down on this (and had the narrative structure benefited more of a moral disconnect between certain characters to better fit it), she could have made for a compelling antagonist of sorts. In that sense, Ribrianne's false beliefs and ideas are perhaps her greatest asset as a character (I'm talking more on paper, less in execution, but that's its own discussion). It makes her flawed and naive, it gives her a chance to learn. I'm not saying it's a hugely compelling character arc, and one could say her elimination wrapped up said character arc (in terms of her reevaluating the concept of love) too fast for her own good, but at least something is laid there by portraying her as narrow-minded, yet overconfident in her ideals. There no reason she couldn't be a warped sensationalist using 'love' to justify all manner of acts, the same way Zamasu/Black sees his deeds as a matter of 'justice', though not in an outright 'evil' way like Zamasu, more 'incorrect'. What I mean is, the idea of a fleshed out, not-evil Dragon Ball character whose personality is defined by doing things they believe is right, yet driven by misguided views is (in my mind) a compelling one, given that you could say most real people fit that description.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:35 pm

Weejus wrote:
Lionel wrote:Criminally one-dimensional with respect to her notions of "love". It would have been just as easy to portray her as an espouser for sensualism and lust because that's what her ideals amounted to. Her adoring fans marched lock-step like some collective hivemind of ants behind her who were incapable of doing anything except venerating the ground that she and her little posse walked on. It was a hollowed out gesture for such a multivariously complicated idea like "love".

Personally, I see this as its own interesting concept. If the Dragon Ball multiverse is so vast, why wouldn't a universe be 'led' by a character with misconceived ideals, as well as having everyone worship her for it? Had the writers perhaps doubled down on this (and had the narrative structure benefited more of a moral disconnect between certain characters to better fit it), she could have made for a compelling antagonist of sorts. In that sense, Ribrianne's false beliefs and ideas are perhaps her greatest asset as a character (I'm talking more on paper, less in execution, but that's its own discussion). It makes her flawed and naive, it gives her a chance to learn. I'm not saying it's a hugely compelling character arc, and one could say her elimination wrapped up said character arc (in terms of her reevaluating the concept of love) too fast for her own good, but at least something is laid there by portraying her as narrow-minded, yet overconfident in her ideals. There no reason she couldn't be a warped sensationalist using 'love' to justify all manner of acts, the same way Zamasu/Black sees his deeds as a matter of 'justice', though not in an outright 'evil' way like Zamasu, more 'incorrect'. What I mean is, the idea of a fleshed out, not-evil Dragon Ball character whose personality is defined by doing things they believe is right, yet driven by misguided views is (in my mind) a compelling one, given that you could say most real people fit that description.
All I can say is that Ribrianne seemed shortsighted and naive. There wasn't enough gradation to her centralised belief in "love" or how it translates into the actionable questions of life and society for it to be anything compelling. She believes in love, harmony, and... peace? I assume her Kamikaze Fireballs had a monopoly on the hearts, beliefs and minds of everyone in her universe. It doesn't leave much room for nuance or moral shades, does it? They wave their torches in lockstep solidarity as they're getting erased and pledge their unyielding loyalty to this starstruck dazzler with nothing in her eyes except hearts -- and she wants to become a deity?