Tournament of Power - Predictions (theories, deductions, etc)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Tournament of Power - Predictions (theories, deductions, etc)

Post by Kastex » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:47 pm

ever since the idea of an all universe tournament was mentioned back in the u7 vs u7 tournament by zen chan himself, many people have been contemplating how the tournament will begin, what it will be like, who will be participating, what will happen, and how it will end. fortunately, now is the best time for predictions, because all of the most relevant cards are on the table and the youtubers have not received further spoilers to ruin everything for us yet.

we will discuss these things and related things, but more importantly i shall type out my very competent thoughts below.

Alliance:

first of all, we have to think about whether or not universes will have the opportunity to scope each other out for a limited period of time before the actual battle begins. this will give universes the opportunity to size each other up, laugh at how weird other universes look, converse, or even form alliances (if allowed). if there is this brief period of time, universe 7 and universe 6 will definitely come into contact, and most likely form their alliance within that contact (if not, their alliance will be solidified soon after the battle begins). the reason u7 and u6 will form an early alliance together is not only because they are so similar, but they will realize that they need each other to survive early game (since goku is a wait for late game kind of guy).

the reason they will need each other on u7's side is because they will probably be able to tell that most or all other universes don't like them, which is very dangerous. for u6 it's because they really only have hit, and hit isn't stronger than goku anymore. below hit will most likely be either frost, kale, caulifla, or someone else on a similar level, but none of them will be able to match up to even gohan. u6 simply is not close to matching u7.

naturally, this also means there will be no serious battles between u6 saiyans vs u7 saiyans, frost vs frieza, etc (not early in the tournament at least). let's be honest, if frieza were to see frost for the first time on the battle field he'd stomp his ass out almost immediately. he might be intrigued for like 2 seconds, then 5 seconds later frost would be roadkill (assuming frieza knows he is stronger than frost). frieza and frost would never be friends or work together unless it's a temporary alliance, because they know that they are pieces of shit and would only agree to work together if they already planned how to dispose of each other afterwards.

if alliances are simply not allowed, they will most likely form an unspoken temporary non aggression pact.

Strategy:

it's obvious that u7 will receive dirty looks from at least some of the other universes. fortunately, gohan was at the exhibition match to watch his dad talk shit to the deities of other universes, and he was made the team leader, and he is somewhat smart. the best thing team u7 can do as soon as the battle begins is to avoid drawing attention as much as they can. all of the universes will likely be paying attention to the center of the arena, while at least some of them will try to acquire the center for their universe. it's also a safe bet to assume that some universes will be keeping a close eye on team u7 for as long as it's in their best interest. while that is happening, team u7 (and u6 if they are allies) will find the best compromise between the center, and the edge of the arena. this is because if they are too close the center then they will be pulled into the conflict. because of the tension between u7 and the other universes, they will probably just gang up and title wave u7 really quick. if they are too close to the edge, this may have a similar effect. not many teams will leave the center to try and crush u7, but most will be very tempted.

u7 will have to form a defensive figure with u6 (not including goku and vegeta since they will probably be off having their pissing contest). how that will look, i do not know. as long as they keep frost and frieza separated, they should be fine.

Climax:

i firmly believe that the tournament of power will end in a draw between 2 and 4 universes (universe 7 will be part of the draw, of course). instead of going into overtime, the tournament of power will switch to a classic tournament style (like 1v1s on a smaller arena). i'm not sure whether it will involve all 10 members of each team, 5 select members, or only surviving members from the first part of the tournament, etc.

the reason i believe this is because there's no way that the tournament of power will just be a 47 (or 48) minute battle royale and that's it. the dragon ball franchise has never had a cut and dry tournament since goku vs tien.

after this has concluded, the tournament will end in the way that i specified in one of my previous threads.

what do you guys think? any thoughts to my predictions? any of your own?

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Re: Tournament of Power - Predictions (theories, deductions, etc)

Post by Pluto » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:19 am

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38733

not very well taken, people like gossip more :P
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:56 am

Pluto wrote:viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38733

not very well taken, people like gossip more :P
i see. well half of this thread's purpose is served. i needed a medium for my competent predictions. if there is no one else who can stand on this stage then so be it.

that being said, i'm still interested in this kind of discussion, which is why this thread is still important. this thread is quite different from yours.

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:52 am

Previews are saying that:

[spoiler]EP 96: It's almost time for the Tournament of Power! Goku and co. head for the World of Void!!
The Tournament of Power is finally about to begin. Goku and co. head to the World of Void, site of the battle stage! Before they battle against the toughest warriors from other universes, Beerus announces his strategy!! What in the world could this strategy be?!
Omni-Kings This Week: relaxing before the opening of the Tournament of Power!
The Omni-Kings are spending the remaining time until the tournament taking it easy! As they relax, the gods from the universes with the top four highest levels (the ones exempted from the tournament) assemble before them!![/spoiler]

We're in for a treat definitely.
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:59 am

Once the stage is set in Episode #96 -- which will cliff-hanger with a feeling of mounting anticipation -- Episode #97 will feature shenanigans and other stalling tactics before the actual fighting begins in Episode #98 (or #99... ?).

A la DBZ Episodes #175 "Those Who Would Challenge Cell!! The Curtain Rises on the Battle" and #176 "Just a Moment!! The Satan Squad Goes On the Rampage" (which was a brilliantly executed move for a weekly series, imo).

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Super_Divine_Genki wrote:Once the stage is set in Episode #96 -- which will cliff-hanger with a feeling of mounting anticipation -- Episode #97 will feature shenanigans and other stalling tactics before the actual fighting begins in Episode #98 (or #99... ?).

A la DBZ Episodes #175 "Those Who Would Challenge Cell!! The Curtain Rises on the Battle" and #176 "Just a Moment!! The Satan Squad Goes On the Rampage" (which was a brilliantly executed move for a weekly series, imo).
yea the cell vs hercule stuff was pretty interesting for me too.

just to let you guys know ahead of time, posts shouldn't contain any confirmed spoilers unless it's behind the spoiler tag.