Anyone else can't stand Zen-Oh?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Anyone else can't stand Zen-Oh?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:56 pm

I'm not gonna lie, I find him pretty obnoxious. I'm not a fan of any character whose entire personality consists of how "cute" and "innocent" they are, and the fact that he is able to get away with basically having the entire multiverse at his mercy really rubs me the wrong way.

I've always had a problem with Beerus being able to get away with being a petty asshole who destroys things on a whim as well, but at least in his case, there's always been the implication that one day, people like Goku and Vegeta might eventually surpass him. Zen-Oh on the other hand, seems to be at a level of power that makes him completely invincible (which kind of goes against the general theme of Dragon Ball, but I digress). It just frustrates me that we're apparently supposed to like him for being cute, despite the fact that he's basically an omnicidal maniac who no one can do a thing about. The fact that there's now two of him certainly doesn't help...

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: Anyone else can't stand Zen-Oh?

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:57 pm

I dont mind him as long as his presence goes somewhere story wise. He doesnt bother me since his appearance is the whole point of his character.

I actually just wish we knew more about him.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:14 pm

I'm not a fan. I don't care for his personality or design. The best I can say is at least he has a personality, so I'm not bored by him.

Honestly, I'm just tired of these gods in general and wish Super would do something else for a change. The original db and z had variety in themes at least.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:19 pm

He isn't annoying, he is more along the lines of that scary mentally retarded kid who carries a gun around..
We never had this type of character before so I am interested in seeing where this leads to, I will pass the judgment at the end of super
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:31 pm

I think he's one of the best new characters. Not really because of himself but of how everyone acts around him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:00 pm

sintzu wrote:I think he's one of the best new characters. Not really because of himself but of how everyone acts around him.
I wonder how freeza would act towards him..
Imagine him getting annoyed at his cutsy feel, not knowing who zeno is decides to shoot both of em and actually manages to kill them..

We welcome Lord freeza our new ruler the next arc
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Snakeway Skywalker
Beyond Newbie

Post by Snakeway Skywalker » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:38 pm

I go nuts for any cutesy character from any show. That's why I love Goten, Happy, and Chopper is probably my fav One Piece character. The fact that he's a little blue child who's naive and innocent but has infinite power and rules over all 12 universes is so Toriyama-like, I love it. When I first met him in the manga, which said he "spoke very casually" I thought he was gonna be some super chill jazz-type dude, but I'm still pleased that they chose to go down the childish route. He's quickly become one of my favorite new characters from Super. The only thing I find annoying about him is Future Zen-Oh correcting himself to sound or act exactly like present Zen-Oh, which happened so much in those Zen Exhibition match episodes that it got old fast.

I also really want to know how old Zen-Oh is and how he came to power, like, did he come around before the multiverse or after? How did he become so powerful or was he just born that way? Are there other members of his species out there in the Universe? When did he become the Omni-King? When did he first meet the Grand Priest? What was the event that angered him so much to erase all those universes before? Is he immortal or can he die? All these questions!!! Hopefully some of them get answered, but most likely not.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:04 pm

I love cute and innocent characters. There's a charm to them. I mean not all of them, some characters can be bad, but Zen'ou isn't imo.

Zen'ou is a very Toriyama type of character. The joke is pretty much that the ruler of everything is an innocent child. The intention is clearly comedy. Plus, Satomi Koorogi is absolutely fantastic. Massive props to whoever casted her.

The staff should definitely try to develop the character, but even if they don't I'm fine with it. He's one of the few things I genuinely like about DBS without any complaints.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:16 pm

I'm neutral on him. I don't hate him or love him. He isn't very interesting and I hope he's overthrown at some point and we find out that the Grand Priest has been discreetly working for someone else.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:48 pm

Sometimes I wonder if he could dethrone Pikachu as the cutest anime character loved by everyone, if given enough screen time.
He's surprisingly adorable. His voice actor play a key role though.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:50 pm

I love Zeno. He is super cute and yet he has so much power. And the way everyone behaves around him is always fun.

I wish I owned a Zeno plush.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Snakeway Skywalker
Beyond Newbie

Post by Snakeway Skywalker » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:52 pm

Boo Machine wrote:I love Zeno. He is super cute and yet he has so much power. And the way everyone behaves around him is always fun.

I wish I owned a Zeno plush.
This so much. I really do hope someone starts manufacturing Zeno plushies. That would sell.

Nano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nano » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:00 pm

I'm not feeling Zeno. The sig says it all.
I love Dragon Ball so much that I'm constantly complaining about how horrible Super is.

Black Goku / Future Trunks saga... was/is garbage.

Top 5 Favorite DBS Characters = Beerus, Whis, still waiting on the last 3 lol...

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:28 pm

As he stands now, I like the idea of him, I just hope it leads somewhere or the child-like behavior will just become annoying

He started out as kind of a comedy character, being the strongest in the universe while looking like a child, or even looking kind of like a stuffed animal, and being the ruler of all these gods and universes, and I think they don't really know where to go with it after that.

I think the main thing that really annoys me about him right now is there is no logical reason for him to destroy the universes, especially with his child-like personality I would think he prefers more universe than less universes. This is why I'm strongly leading toward the idea that Grand Priest was just lying about erasing so that people give their 100% effort in the tournament, or to teach them some other type of lesson like respecting the gods' power.

If he's just erasing them for the hell of it (even if he gets convinced otherwise to not erase them later), then that would greatly diminish his character IMO into just another ruthless destroyer who destroys things for no reason, or looking like a kid with a magnifying glass on ants
Last edited by Zagacious on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:35 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Sometimes I wonder if he could dethrone Pikachu as the cutest anime character loved by everyone, if given enough screen time.
He's surprisingly adorable. His voice actor play a key role though.
Yeah, no. Pikachu is probably one of the most popular / most loved animated characters of all time.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Fwiw I dont think Zeno is as dumb as people seem to think. Like...he isnt "smart" but he seems to know what he wants and be entirely capable of making his own decisions as to how to accomplish it. He obviously retains information given to him by the Grand Priest as well.

I think his "stupidity" that people see is actually just a case of being too important to really give a crap. Hes childish because hes so powerful literally everything is just a toy to him.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Zeno is a child character with God powers. That's all he's supposed to be.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:59 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:Fwiw I dont think Zeno is as dumb as people seem to think. Like...he isnt "smart" but he seems to know what he wants and be entirely capable of making his own decisions as to how to accomplish it. He obviously retains information given to him by the Grand Priest as well.
I think what we've seen show he doesn't really make his own decisions though. Grand Priest arbitrarily ended the exhibition matches, made up tournament rules, and more without even talking to Zeno at all at least from what we've seen. It's possible Grand Priest and Zeno are talking sort of telepathically, but we're really not given much of Zeno besides him acting like a naive kid who doesn't really know much of anything. He's not even omniscient or omnipresent based on the times there are many things he didn't even know about it that you would probably expect the highest of all gods to know

The way he's represented now is this sort of impossibly strong being that needs to be parented and guided/controlled by Grand Priest so he doesn't just straight out destroy everything for no reason. I really like the character actually, but they need to expand it a bit beyond this. He needs to display some sort of wisdom or all knowing, because him just being stupidly/impossibly powerful isn't enough to be ruler of everything
Last edited by Zagacious on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Zagacious wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:Fwiw I dont think Zeno is as dumb as people seem to think. Like...he isnt "smart" but he seems to know what he wants and be entirely capable of making his own decisions as to how to accomplish it. He obviously retains information given to him by the Grand Priest as well.
I think what we've seen show he doesn't really make his own decisions though. Grand Priest arbitrarily ended the exhibition matches, made up tournament rules, and more without even talking to Zeno at all at least from what we've seen. It's possible Grand Priest and Zeno are talking sort of telepathically, but we're really not given much of Zeno besides him acting like a naive kid who doesn't really know much of anything. He's not even omniscient or omnipresent based on the times there are many things he didn't even know about it that you would probably expect the highest of all gods to know

The way he's represented now is this sort of impossibly strong being that needs to be parented and guided by Grand Priest so he doesn't just straight out destroy everything for no reason. I really like the character actually, but they need to expand it a bit beyond this.
I agree they need to expand. I dont get the impression the Grand Priest babies him though. I get the impression he lives to carry out his desires. More or less acting on his behalf.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:07 pm

I love the little guy, easily my third favorite character in the series.