Caulifla Explained - Personality, Desires, Misconceptions

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Caulifla Explained - Personality, Desires, Misconceptions

Post by Kastex » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:10 am

i talked about this a little bit in one of my previous threads but i believe this topic is important enough to be its own thread, so i will be going over it in more detail. in this thread i will break down caulifla's personality, deal with some common misconceptions, reveal her desires, etc. let's go.

Misconceptions:

it's a common misconception that caulifla is a "little girl" or "teenager". lel. we know that saiyans retain their youth until about 80 (if i remember correctly from what vegeta stated), but that's just the u7 saiyans. the u6 saiyans evolved healthily in their natural habitat. it only makes sense if their life spans and youth retention are even at least slightly greater than the u7 saiyans. anyway, we know that renzo is caulifla's older brother, and he is a retired soldier due to injury. these things don't usually happen at a young age. also based on the conversation between cabba and renzo, it seemed like it's something that happened a long time ago, and at that time cabba and renzo were already good friends. this makes sense since cabba already seemed to know his sister who was likely not on the force. he wouldn't just introduce a stranger to his rebel sister. these things take years to happen. let's assume that cabba joined the force when he was of age, 3-5 years later renzo retires due to injury, 5 years later cabba visits to request he join the tournament of power. so we can assume that cabba is roughly aged 22-30, renzo is roughly 30-50, and caulifla is roughly 22-40.

it is another common misconception that caulifla is like minded with goku, or shares similar interests to goku. this is completely false. well it's true in a sense, but not in the way most people think. i say this because both caulifla and goku are interested in getting stronger, however they want to get stronger for completely different reasons. goku lives for training and fighting. that's what he loves. when cabba first confronted caulifla about the tournament she seemed uninterested even after mentioning the erasure of the universe, though she was interested in the super saiyan. she was not playing hard to get. the core of her interest was not the battle, and i will go into this more later.

it is also a common misconception that caulifla is arrogant. this is false as well. the definition of arrogant that we are using is "having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities". first of all, we haven't actually heard her say or see her do anything arrogant. one might argue that the scene of her belittling the u7 saiyans was an act of arrogance, but it was not. that was simply part of her personality. i shall explain in more detail soon.

Personality:

it is clear that caulifla's personality is sort of like a tough, aggressive, rebel tomboy. however, there is a reason for why she is like this. these personality traits not only reflect who she is, but also best reflects traits that she desires to see in others. this is the key to understanding her. caulifla is the type of character that desires excellence, almost to the point of ideals (based entirely on her perspective, of course).
this is proven when we analyze her screen time up until now. when cabba first confronted her about the ToP she seemed uninterested, yet she was interested in the super saiyan. this was not just lust for power or curiosity. this is because super saiyan was a plateau of excellence that she had not reached yet.
more proof of this is that she always seems annoyed with cabba (most likely because he simply doesn't meet her standards). the only time she was infatuated with cabba was when she observed his super saiyan transformation up close.

you might wonder, if caulifla desires excellence then why did she take someone like kale under her wing as her protege? this becomes clear after we've seen what kale is capable of. it was her potential that attracted caulifla on an instinctual level. let's not forget that at the time caulifla was introduced to us, all we knew about her was that she was a mass of potential. we saw that potential start to blossom once she achieved super saiyan, and then super saiyan 2 almost instantly. with kale we saw a glimpse of overwhelming potential when she turned super saiyan (for obvious reasons). personality wise, we could only wonder how those two could stand each other. potential wise, it all makes sense. caulifla's desire for excellence drew her to kale.

now this brings us to the reason she decided to participate in the ToP. i already explained that she does not have a particular lust for battle. she declined the first invitation to the ToP for that reason. the answer becomes clear when we consider that she only agreed to enter the ToP AFTER learning the super saiyan transformation, and that cabba told her who he learned the transformation from. it is simply another example of her desire for excellence. she must have at least assumed that the U7 saiyans have known the super saiyan transformation for a long time, so this made her very interested in them. enough to go meet them. in fact, it was the very first thing she did as she arrived at the ToP arena.
after being greeted by goku, she smacked his hand away saying that she wasn't interested in befriending members from other universes, then why even go to them in the first place? it wasn't just to check out the competition because she did not go to meet any other universes. it's because she was seeking excellence. she wanted to test them and size them up. her belittling the u7 saiyans calling u11 "wimps" (if the translation was correct) was also a test.
i believe that she is interested in battling the u7 saiyans to put their powers against hers, but she is biding her time. this is another example of her being very different than goku, since goku is going straight for toppo and jiren as soon as the tournament begins. caulifla wants to test them against herself by surviving for a while in the ToP, and seeing if they can survive too.

i can only assume that the reason caulifla's desire for excellence is almost obsessive is because of her natural talent and potential. it's literally who she is. it's common in anime and manga for characters like her to seek out similar individuals. it's not just about strength or power. she surrounds herself with thugs and kale because of similarities. she believes herself to be special and superior, so aspects of herself that she can find in others will also be seen as excellence. it's not that she is arrogant. the reality (in super) is that she is simply amazing, and she knows it. she doesn't have to show off because it's just who she is.

Which picture do you think best suits this thread?

Image Image
Last edited by Kastex on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 9 times in total.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: Caulifla Explained - Personality, Desires, Misconceptions

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:19 am

This is way too much speculation based on less than 10 minutes of screen time. I'm not saying any of it is "wrong" but I feel like you basically just wrote a fan fiction.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:32 am

Why would Renso have to be this old? The guy might have retired prematurely because of his injury. He could very well be 30, with his sister being in the 19-29 range which would fit with how she acts.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:42 am

Nice analysis :thumbup:
And even if it turns out all wrong, I certainly found it an interesting read anyways!

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:00 am

dbgtFO wrote:Nice analysis :thumbup:
And even if it turns out all wrong, I certainly found it an interesting read anyways!
Very interesting and I dont want my first post to seem jerkish...it jyst seems like a lot of extrapolation for a character we barely know.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:01 am

I'm not sure how adding possible misconceptions on top of misconceptions clears up said misconceptions. That being said you should look into writing fan fiction.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:15 am

There are waaayyyyy too many assumptions in that statement. Especially since we don't know anything about her.. She's barely had that many lines

But it is impressive you have an analytical point of view. Not sure if that kind of analysis works with a simple show like dragon ball, but it's still good to be a deep thinker.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:27 am

That's nice and all but there is a nice big round chance all if this turns out to be 100℅ false..
We are at episode 97 now and she has gotten a screen time of nothing in the grand scheme of things..
You put a lot of effort :thumbup: but it will be in your best interest to wait a little longer for it.. just my two cents..

Anyway, she gotta get into the role of kale's trigger sooner or later and that's all she is good for as a character to me..
When kale learns to transform on her own her use is done, whatever happens to her, happens..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:31 am

Ki Breaker wrote: Anyway, she gotta get into the role of kale's trigger sooner or later and that's all she is good for as a character to me..
When kale learns to transform on her own her use is done, what happens to her happens..
She doesn't HAVE to be Kale's trigger and nothing else. That's just something people are assuming.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:05 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: Anyway, she gotta get into the role of kale's trigger sooner or later and that's all she is good for as a character to me..
When kale learns to transform on her own her use is done, what happens to her happens..
She doesn't HAVE to be Kale's trigger and nothing else. That's just something people are assuming.
Well Yeah, that's why the bolded part...
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:46 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:This is way too much speculation based on less than 10 minutes of screen time. I'm not saying any of it is "wrong" but I feel like you basically just wrote a fan fiction.
Um, going to have to agree here. :? This definitely felt like I was reading a fan fiction. In your attempt to clear up misconceptions it seems like you've added even more misconceptions based on mostly nothing. But at least you put in a good effort.

Weird picture though.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Caulifla's personality reminds me of the blonde Launch. Aggressive and a rebel.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:24 pm

I think you took way too many liberties in trying to nail down her age.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 pm

TheOne wrote:There are waaayyyyy too many assumptions in that statement. Especially since we don't know anything about her.. She's barely had that many lines

But it is impressive you have an analytical point of view. Not sure if that kind of analysis works with a simple show like dragon ball, but it's still good to be a deep thinker.
i know it's a long shot, but most if not all of what i typed was based on what we've seen from her. i've taken one of the most logical conclusions in my explanation on her personality. i make a lot of top tier theories and predictions for dragon ball super but they have all turned out wrong. i like when they are wrong because it is replaced by something different that i didn't expect. that's one of the reasons i put a lot of thought into these posts because it makes the show more enjoyable for me. i also just like writing out my ideas.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:33 pm

Simere wrote:I think you took way too many liberties in trying to nail down her age.
yes. after some more consideration i made some adjustments to the minimum age caulifla most likely is.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Kastex wrote:
Simere wrote:I think you took way too many liberties in trying to nail down her age.
yes. after some more consideration i made some adjustments to the minimum age caulifla most likely is.

Dude Gohan isn't even 30 yet, and he looks and acts way more mature than Caulifla. I seriously doubt she's 30. You can tell the girl is in her TEENS! Hell Goku is what mid 40ish? LOL

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Kastex wrote:
TheOne wrote:There are waaayyyyy too many assumptions in that statement. Especially since we don't know anything about her.. She's barely had that many lines

i know it's a long shot, but most if not all of what i typed was based on what we've seen from her. i've taken one of the most logical conclusions in my explanation on her personality. i make a lot of top tier theories and predictions for dragon ball super but they have all turned out wrong. i like when they are wrong because it is replaced by something different that i didn't expect. that's one of the reasons i put a lot of thought into these posts because it makes the show more enjoyable for me. i also just like writing out my ideas.
Getting it wrong all the time doesn't sound like much fun, but I think I see what you're saying. It's new things that you would have never thought of. Sometimes you're pleasantly surprised when your expectations are passed in favor of something better. But what happens if you're disappointed instead? That surely sucks.
MagmonKai wrote:Dude Gohan isn't even 30 yet, and he looks and acts way more mature than Caulifla. I seriously doubt she's 30. You can tell the girl is in her TEENS! Hell Goku is what mid 40ish? LOL
I have to agree with this. Caulifla definitely acts more like a rebellious teen that's probably a lot closer to around 18. There's absolutely no way she's in the 30 - 45 age range.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Wait... I think I know how you're aging them. It's the Legendary Super Saiyan isn't it? Every 1,000 years, a Saiyan with power beyond others appears. If both universes work on a similar "clock", then Kale should have been born about the same general time as Broly, which was about... 37/38 years prior (someone would have to check me on this) so therefore, if Kale is about 37/38 yrs. old, thenn Caulifla could be measured to be 40+.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:51 pm

cheddarsword wrote:Wait... I think I know how you're aging them. It's the Legendary Super Saiyan isn't it? Every 1,000 years, a Saiyan with power beyond others appears. If both universes work on a similar "clock", then Kale should have been born about the same general time as Broly, which was about... 37/38 years prior (someone would have to check me on this) so therefore, if Kale is about 37/38 yrs. old, thenn Caulifla could be measured to be 40+.

Nothing has been indicated that the Legendary Super Saiyan (Broly) thing is canon. Kale is just an odd ball Super Saiyan, not the LSSJ. That was in the movies only, until otherwise noted.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:00 pm

MagmonKai wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:Wait... I think I know how you're aging them. It's the Legendary Super Saiyan isn't it? Every 1,000 years, a Saiyan with power beyond others appears. If both universes work on a similar "clock", then Kale should have been born about the same general time as Broly, which was about... 37/38 years prior (someone would have to check me on this) so therefore, if Kale is about 37/38 yrs. old, thenn Caulifla could be measured to be 40+.

Nothing has been indicated that the Legendary Super Saiyan (Broly) thing is canon. Kale is just an odd ball Super Saiyan, not the LSSJ. That was in the movies only, until otherwise noted.
I know. I'm just saying, it's an idea. It's also possible that Kastex was using that as his base for their age. Besides, there is a theory that Broly did exist, but was killed along with Planet Vegeta.

"Tis an interesting theory though. The fact that if Kale is the U6 LSS, then there was/is/will be one for U7, and it may have been Broly. But this is a discussion for another thread.