Are Spoilers and Leaks Ruining the Dragonball Super Experience?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: Are Spoilers and Leaks Ruining the Dragonball Super Experience?

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Kastex wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Kastex wrote:one million times yes. for the record, i was going to make a similar thread about spoilers, but it would be more of a vent than a discussion. i'm glad i can still talk about it here though. i was pretty big into DBS spoilers until about episode 60 or so. it took me over a month to finally get beyond my spoiler knowledge. ever since then the series has been even more of a blessing. also ever since then i've clicked the "not interested" button on any DBS youtube video that seemed even slightly spoilish in the title or thumbnail. even so, frieza's resurrection was spoiled for me like 2 or 3 episodes prior, because some asshole youtuber wanted to make a spoiler video about it under the guise of a theory. if i had been exposed to frieza's return organically in the series then the quality of the experience would have been many times better for me.

now just fucking yesterday i'm on youtube watching a good DBS discussion video (because i still like watching good quality DBS discussion videos based on things that have already happened), and in the related videos that show on the video after the video ends, two potentially very important things coming up over the next 4-5 episodes have probably been spoiled for me. apparently one thing dealing with caulifla and another dealing with kale (i don't actually know the spoiler, so don't talk with me about it. just the click bait title and thumbnails are enough to give me a great general idea). i've been waiting for this tournament for over a year (since the u7 vs u6 tournament) and it's about to be ruined for me because these stupid youtubers can't get a fucking side job to offset lost revenue for their click bait spoiler bullshit.

like they will literally do the dumbest shit and then play it off as if they are in the right or straight up not give a damn. imagine like 7 weeks ago you check youtube and see "OMFG!? FRIEZA'S RETURN CONFIRMED!!! spoiler alert" in a title of some dumbass video with golden frieza on the tournament of power arena (this is not what spoiled frieza's return for me, but this is pretty much the nature of the click bait title and thumbnail spoilers i saw yesterday).

so once again i absolutely believe spoilers ruin DBS. i understand why spoilers were kinda important for like the first half of DBS because i guess they wanted to see how people would react to certain news over a period of time, but it's ruining the damn show now.
None of this post explained why you dont like them or how they are ruining the series though. I'm confused.
"if i had been exposed to frieza's return organically in the series then the quality of the experience would have been many times better for me"

taking that apart further, i'm just the type of viewer that prefers to watch the series organically through the actual series, rather than being told what's going to happen in the series before watching it happen. like for example being told before hand that goku and gohan are going to have an eating contest and gohan will win, then a few days later you sit down to watch goku and gohan having a eating contest then gohan wins. what's the point of watching it if you were already told, right? in reality there is much more detail in watching it rather than reading the highlights, but it still takes a lot from the organic experience.
Okay ruin it for you, thats fair. I thought you were saying they ruin the entire franchise.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Most of the time it doesn't really ruin it for me, but sometimes the 'next episode' previews show WAY too much, where I can pretty much tell exactly what's going to happen next episode. I do wish they were more vague in the spoilers though, instead of outright saying 'X will be eliminated' they could just say someone from universe 7.

Sometimes I also feel like the previews were showing the 'best' part of the episodes are shown in the preview to make it look way better than it actually is while the rest of the episode doesn't have much content. For example I'll see the preview, and then next week I'll watch the episode and barely anything significant will have happened except the stuff they already had shown in the preview. This really does annoy me and kind of ruins the episode for me, but it's been a little while since they did this.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:55 pm

I treat it like any movie honestly. Just don't go looking for it. Most people tag their posts and videos with spoilers so as to avoid them. And even if I do watch or read spoilers they're vague enough that I still am pleasantly surprised by how the episode goes.

For example, back toward the end of the Future Trunks arc, I remember the spoilers that came out didn't even mention Vegito. It just mentioned a "life risking attack" which everyone guessed would be the Kaioken. That all happened in the first 5 minutes of the episode, and we still had plenty of substance unknown to us

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Chuquita wrote:I love spoilers. I go out of my way to find them. They don't hinder my enjoyment of a show. If the information is out there and if I know it's out there, I'm going to find and read it.
Holy shit..... I'm not alone..... there is another out there who simply has to have new information immediately.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:08 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I love spoilers. I go out of my way to find them. They don't hinder my enjoyment of a show. If the information is out there and if I know it's out there, I'm going to find and read it.
Holy shit..... I'm not alone..... there is another out there who simply has to have new information immediately.
That make us three then. I also love spoilers. :D

Although, these days I have just been reading them without knowing in what episode we are in :o ,
Knew about the U9 elimination but didn't know when will it happen. :lol:
Must keep track on that now that things are getting interesting again :P
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:08 pm

No, they make me hyped for what's gonna unfold in the next episode.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:11 pm

I like to have time to digest the news and prepare my body for whats to come. In some ways the spoilers are like watching the episodes themselves.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:18 am

I agree, spoilers are stupid and Toei are foolish to release them publicly
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Shinomori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinomori » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:28 am

I'm usually a spoiler type of guy in two conditions. One, you have an anime that goes years between series such as Attack on Titan. I'm not going to wait 4-5 years to watch a new episode if I know information is out there concerning the story. The second condition is if the series is really good, where again I can't wait for the next episode to find out what happens, even if a new ep airs on a weekly basis.

Dragon Ball Super doesn't meet the first condition, and it doesn't really meet the second one for me either. In this case, I actually whether watch the series as it unfolds weekly to have enjoyment.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:06 am

Yes, they completely ruin the experience.

But the most important part is realizing that lots of people feel the same way, so while someone might not care about spoilers, they should be considerate of others who do. I mean, there's a few posts on this thread basically saying "deal with it" when it comes to spoilers, and that is one really shitty and inconsiderate opinion to have.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:09 am

I think people really should be banned or at least warned for nonchalantly posting spoilers outside of designated threads.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:14 am

Funnily enough, not that long ago I asked in the YouTubers thread whether the YouTubers who post spoilers find it hinders their enjoyment of the series.

Personally, it does for me. If I'm watching something like a TV show, movie or anime, the big, shocking reveals tend to evoke the biggest reactions from me. They are among the moments that stand out the most, and stay in memory the longest. If I know what happens well in advance, like a new transformation or massive plot twist, then I'll still enjoy it when it happens, but the impact just won't be as great.

Honestly, Dragon Ball is by far the most spoiler-heavy series I've ever been a fan of. And from what I've seen, even the fandom is far more receptive to spoilers than any other fandom I've been a part of.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:33 am

I'm a really impatient person sometimes, so I'm proactive about looking for spoilers :lol:

I'm one of those guys who comes to an end of an anime season and looks for the manga since i don't want to wait for the next season to be released.

Sometimes spoilers are inevitable being on the internet, but it's all up to personal preference. Nobody makes up look them up.

I was actually wanting to binge watch the survival arc, but don't think I'd be able to avoid spoilers for 5-10 weeks.
How i predict the tournament will end: