Criticism/complaining about super.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Criticism/complaining about super.

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:37 am

The Buu arc really did pave the way for what new Dragon Ball material has become. The gag manga and fighting manga has come full circle and merged for better or worse.

I don't think we'll ever see the series reach the level of taking it's self as seriously as the Cell arc ever again, and to be honest I'm fine with that.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Attitudes in this thread, specifically Shinda Forever and bilby, are unacceptable (including a few deleted posts were downright disgustingly childish with the name calling). You are expected to act like adults when partaking in discussions. If you can't have a civil conversation with your fellow forum members without the need of a mod or admin to babysit you, then perhaps you don't need to be part of the community.

Account Strikes have been issued for now. As always, they will eventually add up to site-wide bans. So you need to decide if you can follow the forum's rules, of if there's someplace else that's better suited for the types of interactions you desire.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Super wouldn't have so many complaints if it would just deliver epic fights, score and animation like classic TOEI DBZ.

It is very mediocre in that regard compared to it's predecessor.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:36 pm

It's the internet in 2017. If the original series at it's peak were coming out you'd have people complaining about that too.

-"Omg can you believe they just made Nappa destroy all the fighters"
-"Omg can you believe they just let Goku destroy Nappa after he took on all his friends single handidly"
-"Omg can you believe the main bad guy was defeated because someone fell on him after his own stupid mistake".

It's par for the course.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:40 pm

^Yeah, that's true. So petty...

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:57 pm

Miracles wrote:Super wouldn't have so many complaints if it would just deliver epic fights, score and animation like classic TOEI DBZ.
One of many examples where Super delivers great music, fighting, and animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2BofNOFLCc

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:16 pm

I think I have a valid critique. The lack of angst.

everyone is in a genocidal tournament, and there is no one freaking out, or even attempting to attack Zeno is weird. In most media, when God starts screwing with mortals, the mortals fight back. When the mortals can't fight back, the mood of the series becomes dour. But in the tournament survival arc everyone talks and acts like this is a normal occurrence as fighters, right up until they get ko'd off a ledge and later watch in horror as Zeno wipes out their universe. But where's the angst before that?

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:20 pm

FoolsGil wrote:I think I have a valid critique. The lack of angst.

everyone is in a genocidal tournament, and there is no one freaking out, or even attempting to attack Zeno is weird. In most media, when God starts screwing with mortals, the mortals fight back. When the mortals can't fight back, the mood of the series becomes dour. But in the tournament survival arc everyone talks and acts like this is a normal occurrence as fighters, right up until they get ko'd off a ledge and later watch in horror as Zeno wipes out their universe. But where's the angst before that?
I think it's because a lot of the high level of fighters in the tournament have experienced threats to their own planets many times, such as how Buu, Cell, and probably Frieza could have erased Earth if they got the chance. Still, I agree with your main point that it's strange that no one really seems stressed or angst, even the weaker fighters don't really seem that scared or adrenaline filled or anything that they should be with this level of threat. You would expect Goku,Vegeta, Hit, Jiren, etc to be relatively relaxed in the fight like this, but some of the weaker fighters could be KO'd instantly at any time.

I kind of expect it to build up later on in the tournament though, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the gods of destruction goes after Grand Priest or Zeno or tries to intervene in the tournament ring when his universe is close to being erased.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:35 pm

I don't think there's much time for ansgt, they just witnessed a universe get wiped out. Most of these fighters I assume are relatively seasoned. You suck it up and fight for survival, unless you wanna see a bunch of Gohans in the arena.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:06 am

MR.Mark wrote:I don't think there's much time for ansgt, they just witnessed a universe get wiped out. Most of these fighters I assume are relatively seasoned. You suck it up and fight for survival, unless you wanna see a bunch of Gohans in the arena.
A bunch of Gohans is the right call in a story about multiversal genocide

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:13 am

lancerman wrote:It's the internet in 2017. If the original series at it's peak were coming out you'd have people complaining about that too.

-"Omg can you believe they just made Nappa destroy all the fighters"
-"Omg can you believe they just let Goku destroy Nappa after he took on all his friends single handidly"
-"Omg can you believe the main bad guy was defeated because someone fell on him after his own stupid mistake".

It's par for the course.
It's not even close to the same thing.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:44 am

FoolsGil wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:I don't think there's much time for ansgt, they just witnessed a universe get wiped out. Most of these fighters I assume are relatively seasoned. You suck it up and fight for survival, unless you wanna see a bunch of Gohans in the arena.
A bunch of Gohans is the right call in a story about multiversal genocide
But would it make for better story telling in anyway? I guess we'll have to see how this arc plays out.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:12 am

MR.Mark wrote:I don't think we'll ever see the series reach the level of taking it's self as seriously as the Cell arc ever again.
We kind of got close with the Zamasu arc but you're right, something that serious is probably not going to happen again. Other than DB being more kid friendly today, the stories aren't as long so there's no time to build things up like before.

It'll be interesting to see how DB will be if they eventually go back to having it be a weekly manga that can go up to 100 chapters per arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:42 am

I don't see modern DB being more kid friendly, maybe more international markets friendly.

Content wise a lot of Super to me feels like the Buu arc tone wise, lots of gags but when shit get's serious it's pretty cool, like the Zamasu arc.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:24 pm

One complaint I have is the insufficient attempts made to counterpoise the overdosage of Saiyan centricity with substantive meaningful alternate characters who aren't Saiyans. I don't mean in the sense of bequeathing fleeting scraps of air time like we received last week. What they're offering the cast of characters who were once discarded this arc is appreciated, but I would prefer for developments in the long-term context to take place. Offer what was given to Vegeta to another Z-member who isn't a Saiyan, I feel. The incessant rehashing of Saiyan transformations, Saiyan development, Saiyan this and Saiyan that has just become wearisome. I find Gohan's Mystic state more interesting at this time than Goku potentially unlocking yet another transformation exclusive to his species -- even still, I would prefer for the studio and Toyotaro to pour their respective talents together and devise a creatively feasible means for another Z-fighter who isn't a Saiyan to resume a stable consistent position of importance alongside Goku and Vegeta. It could happen through some off-screen training with Whis. Give them Kaioken, have Piccolo inquire on the Namekian Book of Legends, something!

Another complaint I have is the lack of more creative dexterous exhibitions of hand-to-hand combat. Aren't these characters supposed to be martial arts masters? I don't really get that impression. The fights have devolved into stick wielding contests for the most part with the occasional flurry of limbs used to indicate high speed combat. Instead of recycling these scenes, show us more intricacy. Give us more grapples, joint-locks, holds, pivots, ect. It can come from any number of inspirational sources like Jujutsu, Aikido, Muay Thai, Taijiquan, ect. Just have it so where these characters can actually appear like they deserve the moniker of "genius" for more than just having the largest power level.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Lionel wrote:One complaint I have is the insufficient attempts made to counterpoise the overdosage of Saiyan centricity with substantive meaningful alternate characters who aren't Saiyans. I don't mean in the sense of bequeathing fleeting scraps of air time like we received last week. What they're offering the cast of characters who were once discarded this arc is appreciated, but I would prefer for developments in the long-term context to take place. Offer what was given to Vegeta to another Z-member who isn't a Saiyan, I feel. The incessant rehashing of Saiyan transformations, Saiyan development, Saiyan this and Saiyan that has just become wearisome. I find Gohan's Mystic state more interesting at this time than Goku potentially unlocking yet another transformation exclusive to his species -- even still, I would prefer for the studio and Toyotaro to pour their respective talents together and devise a creatively feasible means for another Z-fighter who isn't a Saiyan to resume a stable consistent position of importance alongside Goku and Vegeta. It could happen through some off-screen training with Whis. Give them Kaioken, have Piccolo inquire on the Namekian Book of Legends, something!

Another complaint I have is the lack of more creative dexterous exhibitions of hand-to-hand combat. Aren't these characters supposed to be martial arts masters? I don't really get that impression. The fights have devolved into stick wielding contests for the most part with the occasional flurry of limbs used to indicate high speed combat. Instead of recycling these scenes, show us more intricacy. Give us more grapples, joint-locks, holds, pivots, ect. It can come from any number of inspirational sources like Jujutsu, Aikido, Muay Thai, Taijiquan, ect. Just have it so where these characters can actually appear like they deserve the moniker of "genius" for more than just having the largest power level.
I subscribe everything you said except the part about Gohan.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:40 pm

Lionel wrote:Another complaint I have is the lack of more creative dexterous exhibitions of hand-to-hand combat. Aren't these characters supposed to be martial arts masters? I don't really get that impression. The fights have devolved into stick wielding contests for the most part with the occasional flurry of limbs used to indicate high speed combat. Instead of recycling these scenes, show us more intricacy. Give us more grapples, joint-locks, holds, pivots, ect. It can come from any number of inspirational sources like Jujutsu, Aikido, Muay Thai, Taijiquan, ect. Just have it so where these characters can actually appear like they deserve the moniker of "genius" for more than just having the largest power level.
Like the Goku vs Uub fight at EOZ? I'd describe their fight to be one of the best in the series, despite it not lasting that long.