Kale or Broly - the worse motivation

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

aravinthan
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Kale or Broly - the worse motivation

Post by aravinthan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:24 am

RedHeat wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
aravinthan wrote:Kale, she had a valid and reasonable cause for hulking out and hit others. She is totally shy and introvert and I think Caulifa is the only person who she can talk with.
Broly, his mentality, ptsd (kind of), his races last hope, a stupid king, blah blah blah everything was ok. Broly still remembers the fact that Goku cried when he was days older after coming out of incubator. Thats where I don't like Broly. If he had that taruma and stuff when he is mature, it will be better than Kales reason
So if your friend talks to another friend without you, you question your self worth and rage out?

Childhood trauma is much more likely to screw a person up actually so I dont know what else to say about that. Of course we dont know why Kale is how sahe is though.
Already mentioned this in a different thread but she has all the symptoms associated with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPS). There's numerous things that can cause it, but most of 'em being too mature-themed for Super.

What kind of logic is that?

The question is about whose motivation is worse and I stated that kale is not worst but Broly is worse motivated. I'm not telling that I'm ok if I have that kind of personality. By your logic, is it Ok to shout a person's name and recklessly hit them if they are similar to a kid who stole your candy when you are 30 MONTHS OLD??

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:24 am

aravinthan wrote:
RedHeat wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
So if your friend talks to another friend without you, you question your self worth and rage out?

Childhood trauma is much more likely to screw a person up actually so I dont know what else to say about that. Of course we dont know why Kale is how sahe is though.
Already mentioned this in a different thread but she has all the symptoms associated with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPS). There's numerous things that can cause it, but most of 'em being too mature-themed for Super.

What kind of logic is that?

The question is about whose motivation is worse and I stated that kale is not worst but Broly is worse motivated. I'm not telling that I'm ok if I have that kind of personality. By your logic, is it Ok to shout a person's name and recklessly hit them if they are similar to a kid who stole your candy when you are 30 MONTHS OLD??
You dont have to be so defensive I'm not trying to rip your thoughts apart I just wanted to add another perdpective to the discussion.

Both are bad as I've said.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:23 pm

They're both really bad but I give it to Broly for being angry at the baby that cried by his bed rather than the ruthless man that tried to stab him to death

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:46 pm

They're both understandable from a certain viewpoint. Broli was just traumatized by the (apparently) constant crying from Gokū he heard at so young an age. Kale seems to have an emotional attachment to Caulifla, the one person she trusts, that caused her to flip out when she thought Gokū was taking her away.

Personally, I'd say Broli was worse if only because, as was pointed out in this thread, he didn't additionally direct his anger at anyone else - only Gokū. I don't remember his backstory that well, though, so I may be misguided.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:27 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Well, Kale clearly has a severe inferiority complex, easily crippled by insults like Magetta; though she seems to have developed a dislike of people in general. She's extremely close to Caulifla, with their interactions and the value she places on Caulifla's word is very telling. It makes perfect sense that she becomes so fearful when anybody comes close to Caulifla, since to someone with such a low opinion of themselves will easily see anybody getting along with their loved one as someone who'll make said loved one realise how worthless they are.

In this instance, not only did Goku take a shot at her only trace of self-worth by telling her to stop 'bothering' him and Caulifla (With Caulifla saying nothing in Kale's defence), what happens when Kale asks Caulifla (Who so far has given us the impression of being so close to Kale that Kale calls her 'Sis) if she really is a burden? Caulifla brushes her off with a look that says it all. All at once, Kale's inferiority complex is yelling that her greatest fears have come true, all because of Goku's involvement. If only she had accessed that form Caulifla wanted her to use earlier.

But then after Jiren punches the Super Saiyan out of her, Caulifla is instantly there to reassure Kale and calm her fears.

Pretty solid motivation.

I don't think either motivation is bad, just that Broly's is incredibly awkward. Like, out of all the things in his past to trigger him, it's the one aspect of his backstory that has nothing to do with his trauma.
People tend to forget that Kale already transformed once, because she was angry at Cabba. This kind of reasoning is flimsy at best.
Yeah, seems like you forgot that she snapped when she thought Cabba was going to basically replace her due to "how close" Caulifla and Cabba was getting in her mind.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:36 pm

Kales was jeously over Caulifa and Broly was a tormented soul of pure rage that's had his past haunt him from birth and manipulated by his father. Neither may not have the best story but Broly was definately a lot scarier and intemidating. I just want to scream at my Tv and tell Kale to get over her girl crush :roll:

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:01 am

One was a man with little self-control whose father had to keep him in check all the time, whose power fueled his deranged antics, and whose power was stimulated presence of a strong warrior of his own kind.

The other is a young girl with self-confidence and inferiority complex issues who has to be taken under the wing of a gang leader, has a very affectionate attachment to said gang leader to the point of committing acts of insanity just to get others away from her, and is also fueled by her own power, which appears to swing her personality into opposite of what she normally is.

Broly was always insane; Kale is a bipolar on steroids.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:36 pm

Broly, by far. All of the shit that went down when he was born - the stabbing, the planet destruction, etc...that's all Paragus' motivation, not Broly's. Broly is simply his tool, whose destructive power is driven by insanity caused by...a baby crying next to him. If Paragus didn't control his power he would freely rampage the galaxy regardless, so there's no angst over that, either.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Have to say I really don't care for either of them.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Well, Kale clearly has a severe inferiority complex, easily crippled by insults like Magetta; though she seems to have developed a dislike of people in general. She's extremely close to Caulifla, with their interactions and the value she places on Caulifla's word is very telling. It makes perfect sense that she becomes so fearful when anybody comes close to Caulifla, since to someone with such a low opinion of themselves will easily see anybody getting along with their loved one as someone who'll make said loved one realise how worthless they are.

In this instance, not only did Goku take a shot at her only trace of self-worth by telling her to stop 'bothering' him and Caulifla (With Caulifla saying nothing in Kale's defence), what happens when Kale asks Caulifla (Who so far has given us the impression of being so close to Kale that Kale calls her 'Sis) if she really is a burden? Caulifla brushes her off with a look that says it all. All at once, Kale's inferiority complex is yelling that her greatest fears have come true, all because of Goku's involvement. If only she had accessed that form Caulifla wanted her to use earlier.

But then after Jiren punches the Super Saiyan out of her, Caulifla is instantly there to reassure Kale and calm her fears.

Pretty solid motivation.

I don't think either motivation is bad, just that Broly's is incredibly awkward. Like, out of all the things in his past to trigger him, it's the one aspect of his backstory that has nothing to do with his trauma.
People tend to forget that Kale already transformed once, because she was angry at Cabba. This kind of reasoning is flimsy at best.
Yeah, seems like you forgot that she snapped when she thought Cabba was going to basically replace her due to "how close" Caulifla and Cabba was getting in her mind.
Exactly. Why did this never come out before other than convenient plot timing.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Nano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nano » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:03 am

Kale is an attention whore. Broly is literally insane. As for motivation, they're both retarded.
I love Dragon Ball so much that I'm constantly complaining about how horrible Super is.

Black Goku / Future Trunks saga... was/is garbage.

Top 5 Favorite DBS Characters = Beerus, Whis, still waiting on the last 3 lol...

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:47 am

Both have shitty 'motivation'. However I enjoyed Broly for being original. Kale is a poor ripoff and I do not enjoy lame tributes. Fanservice is a cringy and has plagued the anime industry for decades
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Broly was so utterly one dimensional and never developed

Kale's issues stem from her low self worth and she has genuinely developed thanks to being tested through the tournament and in a matter of perhaps 30 minutes of screen time done more than Broly did in 2 movies and all his game what if scenarios.

While Kale was bloody unbearable at first, the direction shes gone in since the whole pride troopers vs kale/caulifla scene makes me confident shes done with that, and will continue to develop

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:37 pm

Eh...They're both plausible but pretty awkward. I can understand them both.

Off topic: I really don't understand why people think Vegeta should be Broly's trigger. "Your father was a huge tool but because he's already dead we're going to plot revenge on you for what he did!" It's just as bad as the "crying as a baby" thing. It was very poor and unoriginal writing on Paragus' part.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time