Does your enjoyment of Super lead you to not particpate in Discussions?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Does your enjoyment of Super lead you to not particpate in Discussions?

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:02 am

Despite the ovewhemingly negative comments we see online, it's pretty obvious that Super is extremely popular worldwide. From causing Crunchyroll to crash to it's high TV ratings in Japan and, video game ad merchandise sales and just general online excitement and resurgence in the number of people speaking about it online, Super is here to stay and it defintily well liked.
Unfournately the discussions on Dragonanball Super on this forum does not reflect it's popularity it has and are generally quite negative. Now it is true that negative comments are usally the most loud and tend to drown out everything else but the issue I have is that the overwhelmingly negative comments on this board lead many people, myself included, to stay away from discussions on Super. It's not fun discussing something when threads just become negative echo chambers where constructive discussions just can't happen.
Am I the only person who like Super who just avoids commenting most of the time because of toxic "discussions" that take place on this forum?

God Movement

Re: Does your enjoyment of Super lead you to not particpate in Discussions?

Post by God Movement » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:28 am

No, I very much enjoy participating in them, as deconstructing an argument is akin to completing a puzzle for me. If there was a "hivemind", then these forums would have died a long time ago, it is because people disagree that you are even in a position to discuss the series here with a large community.

Now, I don't mind people hating Super per-say, as long as they can objectively explain what's wrong with it, what I do not like seeing is people criticizing stuff when they themselves have not internalized all of the information given in its entirety.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:20 am

I think that you choose to ignore all of the good post and only notice the bad ones. After episodes filled with vague power-scaling that lacks proper exposition you should always expect a backlash. This doesn't mean people hate Super, it means they didn't appreciate a specific part of the script.

The amount of threads reprimanding the forum for not being positive enough is too damn high. You have to remember that we are all individual human beings; and if the culture of the forum shifts on a weekly basis. Remember, this forum was nothing but positive during the weeks of 94/95/98. (47/57/65 etc etc.)

(there shouldn't be a balance of positivity and negativity in the first place, but that's another story for another day.)

Edit: The only people I can never understand, are those who think Super has no redeeming qualities, and the whole thing is garbage. Yet they come back week after week to repeat that sentiment for 100 episodes. People like that who dismiss the entire show and just show up to "see how bad it gets, and laugh at it" probably shouldn't be involved in the conversation.
Last edited by Yomi on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
:clap:

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:24 am

People take the show too seriously. Just enjoy the martial arts spectacle that is Dragon Ball.
Last edited by ClutchBangstrip on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:26 am

Yes, I tend to like things more when I enjoy them for what they are and resist the urge to analyze everything.

I've noticed a similar phenomenon with pro wrestling, which I'm a big fan of. If I watch a show in a vacuum, I tend to enjoy it. If I watch the show along with Twitter/message board commentary, I tend to be more critical and enjoy it far less. For a lot of people, being critical seems to be part of their enjoyment of the show, which is fine I guess.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 am

More than positive or negative, it's whether the episode was interesting to me or not. Subject matter I don't care about is boring to me and so I don't get myself involved in it so no posts.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:52 am

I always give my opinion and if that is contested directly I will gladly engage in discussion, especially if the reply is interesting and the person in question is open-minded. Rarely do I enter on-going conversations, except if I find something objectively wrong.

However, I don't think my slow posting habits have a lot to do with negativity towards Super, but with the fact there aren't really any worthwhile discussions going on and that's not exclusive to this section. Most of the others sections on this forum are uninteresting.

For the old shows, most of what was good to learn, talk about and debate has been done or compiled and the rest are the usual dub/power level/KaivZ stuff that pops up every so often, of which I already have my opinions set.

As for the new material, the criticisms, however viable and true, are the same every time and I don't find it either fun or even healthy to discuss dozens of times. Outside of that, the only thing remaining is talking about the actual content (individual episodes or manga chapters) or spoilers/previews, the latter being the worst of the worst in this forum. Like two people come with their interpretation of them and the conversation shifts to that rather than what those actually say.

You could maybe come to the conclusion the negativity that is apparent and obvious leads to everything interesting being smothered, but I think that, at worst, it only has an indirect impact on my engagement with the forum.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:03 am

Yes. I discuss with a few people on Discord these days, who have some good insight into the show, and that's about it. Most others simply talk in circles, are overwhelmingly negative, don't interpret the show in a way that I find meaningful, are positive merely for the sake of it, have nothing remarkable to say, or have taken the same road I'm traveling.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Yes. Specially pt-BR discussions. I feel bad just reading comments, most of the criticism is void, people dislike the anime and tries to make their own personal opinion and perception like something absolute... it sucks.

Also i don't like the people who create excuses for the shitty people, or to not lose their own enjoyment ("Goku used only 1% of his power against Kale / he wasn't scratched so he didn't suffering anything"). I enjoy the show, i have my own criticism of it, but there are lots of things that are not "incoherent" like some loves to say, and i feel angry when reading comments all over the internet... i try my best to discuss DBS only here, and even here sometimes looks like a place of DBS haters.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Yes and no.

I mainly dislike how after defending the show non stop I often get jumped on when I bring up what I feel is a valid criticism. I love this show and desire to discuss all aspects good and bad.

That said I continue to post because there are some quality guys/gals here.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:20 pm

Well define "negative comments" sometimes, (and it usually is the case with DB Super) the criticisms are well deserved, we wouldn't be criticising this show if we didn't care about it. So it's definitely not a bad thing, in fact, it's a very good thing at times! As long as we'll do it in a healthy and respectfull matter and follow the community guidelines which we agreed to (twice) prior to regristration.

That said, to get back on track, the criticisms (and not just on Kanzenshuu, but all over the web) are definitely needed and well deserved, given Super's huge reputation of powerscaling issues and inconsistencies in general, and we all know at this point that Super's inconsistencies have been quite huge.. there's no denying that. It's a story ofcourse, and a story we as die hard fans greatly care about, and when that story has certain holes in it, (and BIG ones in this case) than we have the right (and in my opinion as a fan) maybe even an obligation to complain! But this is all with the right heart and the best intentions in mind. Now obviously this isn't always the case, especially on sites such as Youtube and Facebook, where some people just hate for the sake of hating, but in general, i have a positive picture about Kanzenshuu!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Absolutely not.

I joined this Kanenshuu to express how much I like Dragon Ball, as well as discuss with others who also like Dragon Ball, the many aspects of the franchise, whether it the manga, animes, guidebooks, video games and all the rest. And as long as the discussions are made in a productive manner, I will keep coming back to this forum. And my personal opinion of Super, as well as the personal opinion of Super shared with others in the Dragon Ball community, has no bearing whatsoever as to how much I get involved in this forum. There much more to discuss within the world of Dragon Ball beyond one anime. Which, yes, is on-going and as long it as it will be will instigate many topics of in the forum. But what some random people that I have no attachment to on the internet say about one anime will not result in me getting hesitant in engaging in discussions in this forum or holding my tongue when I want to express myself.

aravinthan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aravinthan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:14 pm

Absolutely not.......I'm a kind of person who can enjoy when the community is in choas, upto some extent. For example, when Goku got struk in Hakai energy but freeza didnt, or recently when Kale did broly things I posted lots of answers in threads, but if I receive some dumb reply over and over again I will ignore it and participate in a clever argument not with a arrogant BS guy. Anyhow I have my limit, if I reach it I will go offline for couple of days

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:21 pm

No it doesn't, what does make me not participate in (DBS)Discussions are the abundance of (cancerous) power level posts drowning the episode threads.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:37 pm

I've been outright avoiding posting in Super discussions on this forum for months now, because the place is unfortunately flooded with strength discussions and repetitive complaints about nearly every aspect of the show (art, plot, consistency, etc), primarily from those who continue to watch anyway after 100 episodes. I wish I knew why.

Yeah, I love Super, I'd even go so far as to say I'm a fanboy of it, but I cannot bring myself to discuss when there seems to be so few people that are interested in the positive aspects of the show. I wish I could elaborate on this more, but I really don't have anything else to contribute.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:58 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:I've been outright avoiding posting in Super discussions on this forum for months now, because the place is unfortunately flooded with strength discussions and repetitive complaints about nearly every aspect of the show (art, plot, consistency, etc), primarily from those who continue to watch anyway after 100 episodes. I wish I knew why.

Yeah, I love Super, I'd even go so far as to say I'm a fanboy of it, but I cannot bring myself to discuss when there seems to be so few people that are interested in the positive aspects of the show. I wish I could elaborate on this more, but I really don't have anything else to contribute.
Not everything is sunshine and flowers. There are positive aspects of Super elaborated on these forums by numerous folks. It's just that the negative is a loud minority, and it sticks out. I'm guilty of this at times, but most of us mean well. We only point out ways that the show can improve on. And as for the strength discussion debates, there is a forum specifically for that, and most of it is on there, not really spread to other threads.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:36 pm

omaro34 wrote:
I agree with this, but I do have to point out that the discussions about the positive aspects of the show seem really overshadowed by the negative equivalents - namely, it's hard to discuss the positive without the negative coming up, though the reverse isn't really true (unless it's just been too long).

I don't know, maybe I should give the Super section another chance. I know there are some interesting discussions to be had, and I honestly don't think I can leave this place so easily.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:20 pm

It's obvious people post on forums to enforce their opinions onto others. Everyone already knows what they individually like in their minds. They post on forums to say what they like and to see if others share the same viewpoints.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:52 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:I've been outright avoiding posting in Super discussions on this forum for months now, because the place is unfortunately flooded with strength discussions and repetitive complaints about nearly every aspect of the show (art, plot, consistency, etc), primarily from those who continue to watch anyway after 100 episodes. I wish I knew why.

I enjoy your posts Anime Kitten, and I've wondered why I haven't see your posts that much in Super related topics and it's shame that the somewhat overbearing resent some users have towards to Super in general is making you hesitant to posting in Super related topics. But trust me, there more people who bring up the positive aspects of Super. You shouldn't feel concerned about what other think about Super. Just express your opinion of how much you like Super.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:

I enjoy your posts Anime Kitten, and I've wondered why I haven't see your posts that much in Super related topics and it's shame that the somewhat overbearing resent some users have towards to Super in general is making you hesitant to posting in Super related topics. But trust me, there more people who bring up the positive aspects of Super. You shouldn't feel concerned about what other think about Super. Just express your opinion of how much you like Super.
Exactly. You're more than welcome to post your opinions on the Super forums Anime Kitten . Don't ever let others dictate your decision to talk about the positives that come out of Super. Don't feel discouraged just because someone else has a polar opposite opinion of you. Try coming back into these part of the forums if you want, don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl