Is Trunks' advanced SSJ2 form in the manga the equivalence towards his SSJ Rage form in the anime?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Is Trunks' advanced SSJ2 form in the manga the equivalence towards his SSJ Rage form in the anime?

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:56 pm

I have a feeling that Trunks' advanced SSJ2 form in the manga (that made him as strong as a SSJ3) is the equivalence towards the anime's SSJ Rage form because in the anime, when SSJ2 Trunks first sparred with Goku in SSJ3, Trunks lost, but in the manga, Trunks was just as strong as Goku's SSJ3 that Goku had to go SSJG (red form) in order to beat Trunks. Later in the anime, when Trunks becomes SSJ Rage, his power increases way more than it once was, but we obviously know that he couldn't have reached at a God level yet. Our highest assumption is that his power is just below a SSJG (red form), but above or right around a SSJ3, just like the manga.

This is what i'm assuming because the anime didn't explain anything about the transformation other than Trunks just being angry.

If what i'm saying is actually true, then I would've preferred if SSJ Rage didn't have a blue aura because that just makes things very confusing as it makes some viewers think that Trunks could've went or had some God ki, but like I said before, that is impossible for him to obtain. SSJ Rage should've just kept the extra spiky hair without any blue aura.

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Re: Is Trunks' advanced SSJ2 form in the manga the equivalence towards his SSJ Rage form in the anime?

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:57 pm

Probably but super saiyan rage basically made trunks exactly useful in that arc the manga however

pacz360
I Live Here

Re: Is Trunks' advanced SSJ2 form in the manga the equivalence towards his SSJ Rage form in the anime?

Post by pacz360 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:15 pm

superfan2024 wrote:I have a feeling that Trunks' advanced SSJ2 form in the manga (that made him as strong as a SSJ3) is the equivalence towards the anime's SSJ Rage form because in the anime, when SSJ2 Trunks first sparred with Goku in SSJ3, Trunks lost, but in the manga, Trunks was just as strong as Goku's SSJ3 that Goku had to go SSJG (red form) in order to beat Trunks. Later in the anime, when Trunks becomes SSJ Rage, his power increases way more than it once was, but we obviously know that he couldn't have reached at a God level yet. Our highest assumption is that his power is just below a SSJG (red form), but above or right around a SSJ3, just like the manga.

This is what i'm assuming because the anime didn't explain anything about the transformation other than Trunks just being angry.

If what i'm saying is actually true, then I would've preferred if SSJ Rage didn't have a blue aura because that just makes things very confusing as it makes some viewers think that Trunks could've went or had some God ki, but like I said before, that is impossible for him to obtain. SSJ Rage should've just kept the extra spiky hair without any blue aura.
What are you talking about Ssj rage is as strong ssjb it allowed him to fight ssjr black and f.zamasu not to mention knocking black out for a moment how the hell could the form be weaker than Ssjg let alone ssj3 :yawn:
Plus he was able to sense vegito Power so yeah he has god ki

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:54 am

I do not believe so. This "Super Saiyan Rage" form, however exciting to watch, was just an invention to give a popular character more screen time during a few episodes (did he even really accomplish anything?). He had more than enough to do throughout the story without being involved with every single fight, so I'm grateful the manga took the more sensible route by comparison.
Last edited by Duo on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:16 am

Dragonballgod19 wrote:Probably but super saiyan rage basically made trunks exactly useful in that arc the manga however
He wasn't useful though. He got a new form and accomplished nothing with it until the Light Sword at the very end.
Distracting Black so the heroes could escape was also done in the manga. Most of his fights with Black afterwards were meaningless filler where he accomplished nothing but getting his ass kicked so Goku and Vegeta could save him
And the Light Sword moment led to something else he also did in the manga

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:18 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Dragonballgod19 wrote:Probably but super saiyan rage basically made trunks exactly useful in that arc the manga however
He wasn't useful though. He got a new form and accomplished nothing with it until the Light Sword at the very end.
Distracting Black so the heroes could escape was also done in the manga. Most of his fights with Black afterwards were meaningless filler where he accomplished nothing but getting his ass kicked so Goku and Vegeta could save him
That ending was bad obviously bad he was actually pretty useful without him goku and vegeta would have died in that arc and in manga seriously he did nothing besides heal goku he was literally Sakura in that arc

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:35 am

Dragonballgod19 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
That ending was bad obviously bad he was actually pretty useful without him goku and vegeta would have died in that arc and in manga seriously he did nothing besides heal goku he was literally Sakura in that arc
This is a nonsense. He was as useful in the anime as in the manga. He didn't win a single battle, he failed the Mafuba and that's it. Ignoring the bullshit Gendikama, what did he did? How on hell would Vegeta and Goku be dead wthout him? He got a new form for nothing. Literally everything he did he could have done it without that form. Also in the manga he saved Gowasu and just like in the anime, he allowed Goku and Vegeta to go back to the past.

If you think that just fighting=being useful, you have a serious problem of perception. Characters can be as useful as fighting ones in supporting roles. Just look at manga Shin or anime Mai and Bulma. Trunis was pretty much useless in both medias.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:40 am

The question should be asked,
What was Toriyamas intent in the outline?

Basically it looks like Toriyama states that that Trunks gets stronger, possibly gaining a new form. Doesn't care enough to state how or why or what form and basically it was left to Toei and Toyotaro to figure it out.

At least that's my guess based on what we've seen.

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:52 am

MisteryOne wrote:
Dragonballgod19 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: He wasn't useful though. He got a new form and accomplished nothing with it until the Light Sword at the very end.
This is a nonsense. He was as useful in the anime as in the manga. He didn't win a single battle, he failed the Mafuba and that's it. Ignoring the bullshit Gendikama, what did he did? How on hell would Vegeta and Goku be dead wthout him? He got a new form for nothing. Literally everything he did he could have done it without that form. Also in the manga he saved Gowasu and just like in the anime, he allowed Goku and Vegeta to go back to the past.

If you think that just fighting=being useful, you have a serious problem of perception. Characters can be as useful as fighting ones in supporting roles. Just look at manga Shin or anime Mai and Bulma. Trunis was pretty much useless in both medias.
They obviously give trunks a new form for merchandise and sales same why they gave him all of vegeta techniques and goku and vegeta didn't win any fights in that arc either

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:21 am

Dragonballgod19 wrote:
MisteryOne wrote:
Dragonballgod19 wrote: That ending was bad obviously bad he was actually pretty useful without him goku and vegeta would have died in that arc and in manga seriously he did nothing besides heal goku he was literally Sakura in that arc

They obviously give trunks a new form for merchandise and sales same why they gave him all of vegeta techniques and goku and vegeta didn't win any fights in that arc either
You can't be serious. First of all there is barely merchandising of SSIkari. They gave it to him because the anime staff is not able to make a consistent story. Second, Goku defeated Zamasu and Vegeta defeated Goku Black in both versions.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Not really. I mean, the general gist I seem to be getting from how the plot advanced in both mediums is that would get SSJ2 and challenge SSJ3 Goku in a sparring match. Whether Future Trunks would still be able to compete with Goku Black was an element of the plot that left up to Toyotaro and Toei to sort out.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:48 pm

I really cant believe the minds on this board. In the Anime even SS2 Trunks was strong enough to fight Zamasu, SSRage put him on SSB level. SS Rage Trunks was stronger than SSB Vegeta before Vegeta went back in time to train in the hyperbolic time chamber. It allowed Trunks to be just as much in the fight as Goku and Vegeta.

Also Akiras notes probably said. Trunks stalls Goku Black ane Zamasu so Goku and Vegeta can escape. So for Toyotaro Trunks used Taioken, the Anime they gave him a transformation.

Potara_Vegetto

Post by Potara_Vegetto » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:03 am

superfan2024 wrote:I have a feeling that Trunks' advanced SSJ2 form in the manga (that made him as strong as a SSJ3) is the equivalence towards the anime's SSJ Rage form because in the anime, when SSJ2 Trunks first sparred with Goku in SSJ3, Trunks lost, but in the manga, Trunks was just as strong as Goku's SSJ3 that Goku had to go SSJG (red form) in order to beat Trunks. Later in the anime, when Trunks becomes SSJ Rage, his power increases way more than it once was, but we obviously know that he couldn't have reached at a God level yet. Our highest assumption is that his power is just below a SSJG (red form), but above or right around a SSJ3, just like the manga.

The SSRage is stronger than SSGod, and it surpassed SSBlue in the first time. He was the first person capable to keep up a fight with Goku Black SSRosé for a long time, he was capable of fighting Zamasu and Black together, not even Goku and Vegeta SSBlue were capable of it at that moment.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:37 pm

Potara_Vegetto wrote:

The SSRage is stronger than SSGod, and it surpassed SSBlue in the first time. He was the first person capable to keep up a fight with Goku Black SSRosé for a long time, he was capable of fighting Zamasu and Black together, not even Goku and Vegeta SSBlue were capable of it at that moment.
But how is that even possible? That literally makes zero sense. Trunks should not have the powers of a SSJ God, no matter how strong he is. Unless Toei is saying because he trained with a SSJB Vegeta, then somehow Trunks unlocked SSJB ki.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:22 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
Potara_Vegetto wrote:

But how is that even possible? That literally makes zero sense. Trunks should not have the powers of a SSJ God, no matter how strong he is. Unless Toei is saying because he trained with a SSJB Vegeta, then somehow Trunks unlocked SSJB ki.
Yup Trunks got a power up that may be around if not surpassed SSG just by getting really really angry at that exact moment. Also I guess the couple hours training with Vegeta as SSB helped a lot.