How much more polarizing can Super get?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How much more polarizing can Super get?

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:41 pm

I think replacing Goku as the main character would do the trick. I know a lot of people are tired of Goku, but a lot of other people also feel that Dragonball IS Goku and without him the series is pretty much dead.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:09 pm

Alruneia wrote:(A lot of people are happy Super doesn't use GT's concepts and would like it to stay that way.)
But that's what everyone likes about GT, its concepts. Execution, well no. But it had some really good concepts.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:16 pm

Boo Machine wrote:I think replacing Goku as the main character would do the trick. I know a lot of people are tired of Goku, but a lot of other people also feel that Dragonball IS Goku and without him the series is pretty much dead.
Yeah, this would do it for me. I'd drop Super if they replaced Goku. He's the biggest reason I'm still watching this show despite having very little interest in the current arc.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:42 pm

the whole franchise is polarizing.

Since the old days of DB, i saw lots of positive and negative reviews for DB/DBZ. At the same time as it was said to be one of the greatest shounen ever, there were lots of people who also considered the series as complete trash.

Everything that comes from this franchise is polarizing, and DBS just follows the flow of the previous series.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Boo Machine wrote:I think replacing Goku as the main character would do the trick. I know a lot of people are tired of Goku, but a lot of other people also feel that Dragonball IS Goku and without him the series is pretty much dead.
They don't need to replace Goku, just have him take a backseat again like he did for the majority of the Cell and Buu arc. Hell he was gone for most of the Namek saga as well.

I think people easily forget how little Goku did back in DBZ. He was actually barely even in the series outside of certain points.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:10 pm

precita wrote:
They don't need to replace Goku, just have him take a backseat again like he did for the majority of the Cell and Buu arc. Hell he was gone for most of the Namek saga as well.

I think people easily forget how little Goku did back in DBZ. He was actually barely even in the series outside of certain points.
I know what you mean, but it's not like Goku is gone and forgotten about in those instances. The Saiyans attack because of Goku. When they go to Namek they're waiting for Goku. The Androids attack because of Goku. Goku is who Cell wants to fight. And in the Buu arc, he may not have been front and center for most of it, he was still very much a part of it almost from the start, almost like being dead was just kind of a pit stop. I'd say the Cell arc is when he just flat out doesn't do much. It might be the reason that I find most of that arc boring. Just hard to imagine someone else taking the drivers seat.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:51 pm

If they drop Super from the title I'm done with Super.

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:06 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Who says those moments are polarising? The Trunks moment in #66 has 1,091,760 views on YT the the like to dislike ratio is 4094:197. Does not seem much polarising to me, a lot of people seem to overwhelmingly love it! That is the closest thing we have to gauging whether something is well received or not and it seems it is.
Are we really citing Youtube views at this point?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:09 am

This mostly works..
There are two opinions I have seen for this, one of people ready to leave Dragonball behind after it, and other excitedly waiting for new generation to take over..
It's plenty polarizing to be considered a big risky move for the show..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Snakeway Skywalker
Beyond Newbie

Post by Snakeway Skywalker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:25 am

PeanutSaiyan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Who says those moments are polarising? The Trunks moment in #66 has 1,091,760 views on YT the the like to dislike ratio is 4094:197. Does not seem much polarising to me, a lot of people seem to overwhelmingly love it! That is the closest thing we have to gauging whether something is well received or not and it seems it is.
Views and stats for one YouTube video might speak for one scene, but not for Super at a whole. That's what the creator of this thread is meaning.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:02 pm

PeanutSaiyan wrote:
Like I said it's the only current way of gauging whether something it liked or not. Unless you got time to scour the entire internet to all the reactions to #66 then like it not this is the only method.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
PeanutSaiyan wrote:
Like I said it's the only current way of gauging whether something it liked or not. Unless you got time to scour the entire internet to all the reactions to #66 then like it not this is the only method.
Not everyone who views a YT video will click the like or dislike button, (myself included) what you offered was a poor example. Just as well as saying a YT video is well received because of the amount of views it has. It would be similar to saying since Transformers: Age of Extinction made over $1 billion at box office it was a well received movie.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Gohan being shoot and killed by a normal earthling bullet.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:49 pm

So polarizing that westerners will stop talking about it on the internet, and nobody actually in charge of the series will care.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:15 pm

There are so many great fanfictions about the next generation grabbing the torch and moving on. I do understand the logic, and I'm sure they tried it before with Goku getting killed at the Cell games and Gohan becoming the focal point, but at the end of the day Goku is simply more marketable. And you're right, to a lot of people, Dragonball without Goku is like playing a Super Mario bros game without Mario. Just doesn't work.

Goku is more marketable than Trunks, Goten, Gohan, or any of the other young bucks. They are giving Goku a new form at the ToP and I guarantee you it will sell very successfully. This is partly why Goten and Trunks haven't aged and have been placed in the back burner, the focus is on Goku and would always be.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:22 pm

I fear that Goku has become the, "Ash Ketchum" or "Bart Simpson" of anime, where they can never move on from him or age him or replace him because he's too defined in the franchise. Even though Dragonball already tried to move on from Goku several times.

Shame because Dragonball is a series with a continuous storyline, time skips and continuity.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:36 pm

precita wrote:I fear that Goku has become the, "Ash Ketchum" or "Bart Simpson" of anime
You do know Pokemon is an anime too, right?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:42 pm

precita wrote:I fear that Goku has become the, "Ash Ketchum" or "Bart Simpson" of anime, where they can never move on from him or age him or replace him because he's too defined in the franchise. Even though Dragonball already tried to move on from Goku several times.

Shame because Dragonball is a series with a continuous storyline, time skips and continuity.
Ash Ketchum is the Ash Ketchum of anime, as Pokémon is an anime (the games don't apply here).
Your point is still valid, though, and it's why I wrote it in my list ("or dare I say Goku himself") earlier. He's the mascot of the franchise to such a degree that many can't imagine Dragon Ball without him. He and the franchise are inseparable in a way. This isn't too unusual, and I'd say it's the author's responsibility to suggest relatively early on (in real world time, on the scale of years) that main character replacement will be happening (like with JoJo), because people will by default assume that the main character will remain in that role throughout the series. As it's been over 30 years now, Dragon Ball has long since passed the point where it's too late to pull that off, and that makes the idea controversial.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:59 pm

Alruneia wrote:
precita wrote:I fear that Goku has become the, "Ash Ketchum" or "Bart Simpson" of anime, where they can never move on from him or age him or replace him because he's too defined in the franchise. Even though Dragonball already tried to move on from Goku several times.

Ash Ketchum is the Ash Ketchum of anime, as Pokémon is an anime (the games don't apply here).
Your point is still valid, though, and it's why I wrote it in my list ("or dare I say Goku himself") earlier. He's the mascot of the franchise to such a degree that many can't imagine Dragon Ball without him. He and the franchise are inseparable in a way. This isn't too unusual, and I'd say it's the author's responsibility to suggest relatively early on (in real world time, on the scale of years) that main character replacement will be happening (like with JoJo), because people will by default assume that the main character will remain in that role throughout the series. As it's been over 30 years now, Dragon Ball has long since passed the point where it's too late to pull that off, and that makes the idea controversial.
Or better yet, say it with me everyone,

POLARIZING!

Yes, there will be a lot of fans who would be upset if this happens, but I've see a lot of people that would love to see this happen.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:15 pm

I'd be very saddened, but it'd free up the time I spend on Super for other stuff. I'd stop following Super, but I might still do general Dragon Ball related fanart. I wouldn't have to worry about the week to week and would do freestyle db stuff instead.

I think Gokû's safe for now though. As long as Nozawa and Toriyama are both in good health I think Gokû's safe from being replaced.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!