Why Does Goku Abuse King Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Amerigo
Not-So-Newbie

Why Does Goku Abuse King Kai?

Post by Amerigo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:01 pm

On Episode 87 of Dragon Ball Super, there is a scene where Goku believed that King Kai was going to be erased from existence, and laughs at him for it. Thankfully, it was a false alarm and no harm came, yet it was still quite disturbing.

Here is the scene: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nGOrBJFAuUY

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why Does Goku Abuse King Kai?

Post by Asura » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:16 pm

I don't see where in that scene that Goku believed King Kai was going to be erased from existence, nor do I see him laughing at him for it.

It was a throwback joke to the Cell saga, nothing more nothing less really. A shit episode all around so...

Amerigo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Amerigo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:24 pm

Asura wrote:I don't see where in that scene that Goku believed King Kai was going to be erased from existence, nor do I see him laughing at him for it.

It was a throwback joke to the Cell saga, nothing more nothing less really. A shit episode all around so...
Well, according to what Goku told Vegeta during the Buu Saga, if someone dies while already being dead, they cease to exist.

In the video I posted, Goku believed he brought another bomb to King Kai's planet, and seemed to be amused by the entire situation. Thankfully, as Goku was about to teleport back home, he was informed that it was a false alarm.

But still, it seemed too callous for Goku. Why would he take amusement in a situation he believed would cause permanent harm to a friend?

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:03 am

Amerigo wrote:
Asura wrote:I don't see where in that scene that Goku believed King Kai was going to be erased from existence, nor do I see him laughing at him for it.

Well, according to what Goku told Vegeta during the Buu Saga, if someone dies while already being dead, they cease to exist.

In the video I posted, Goku believed he brought another bomb to King Kai's planet, and seemed to be amused by the entire situation. Thankfully, as Goku was about to teleport back home, he was informed that it was a false alarm.

But still, it seemed too callous for Goku. Why would he take amusement in a situation he believed would cause permanent harm to a friend?
I can see it hearkening back to the Cell Saga, but I'm not sure I could give a good answer to this. :/

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:14 am

Because he's thoughtless. Goku often does stuff that upsets people because he still has very limited social skills.

He didn't get why Krillin would be terrified of facing the monsters who murdered him again.
He didn't get why it is unacceptable to visit Bulma at all hours to see if Whis had arrived, including when she's in the shower.
He never understands why Chi Chi gets mad at him for constantly disrupting the kids childhoods by getting them to fight monsters.
He doesn't get why it's rude to demand a fight with complete strangers upon meeting them(Beerus and Zamasu).

It's peculiar that Goku, raised on Earth by Grandpa Gohan and taught by Master Roshi(and with Bulma, Krillin, Yamcha and others guiding him in prior social situations) has adapted less well than Vegeta who's entire upbringing taught him to be a murderous savage.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:17 am

Akyon wrote:Because he's thoughtless. Goku often does stuff that upsets people because he still has very limited social skills.

He didn't get why Krillin would be terrified of facing the monsters who murdered him again.
He didn't get why it is unacceptable to visit Bulma at all hours to see if Whis had arrived, including when she's in the shower.
He never understands why Chi Chi gets mad at him for constantly disrupting the kids childhoods by getting them to fight monsters.
He doesn't get why it's rude to demand a fight with complete strangers upon meeting them(Beerus and Zamasu).

It's peculiar that Goku, raised on Earth by Grandpa Gohan and taught by Master Roshi(and with Bulma, Krillin, Yamcha and others guiding him in prior social situations) has adapted less well than Vegeta who's entire upbringing taught him to be a murderous savage.
Vegeta always knew he was serving the will of another IMO. Of course he was raised to kill and enjoyed it but I think once another path was open he decided to walk it as his own man. It took time too.

With Goku...not only was he young when Grandpa Gohan died but Roshi isnt exactly the best role model. Aside from these things though, Goku has never intentionally hurt a friend or innocent. Hes of the mentality that if something wouldnt bother him it shouldnt bother others.

Example: Bulma and I are friends....I dont care if she appears at 2 AM when I'm naked so why would she care?
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:35 pm

Bad writing. That's pretty much your only answer. King Kai abuse has been used as a "joke" in filler type episodes, but it's just not funny.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:20 pm

I don't think Goku does abuse King Kai.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.