Goku always using the same fighting stance

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Goku always using the same fighting stance

Post by emperior » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:58 am

Am I the only one who's annoyed by the fact Goku always uses the same stance in Super? Can't storyboarders/animators get more creative, or at least re-use some fighting stance Goku used in the past?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Goku always using the same fighting stance

Post by MainJPW » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:13 pm

And it's not just Goku; everyone does it now:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:14 pm

That's said to be the best fighting stance that leaves no openings.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:19 pm

What do you expect from a franchise that puts its weight in power levels, transformations and flashy projectile based attacks? The combat system is greatly homogenised. Punch and kick flurries are the rule of thumb for hand-to-hand exchanges nowadays. The few exceptions like with Jackie Chun's Zui Quan stance, Hit's Kyushojutsu, and Zamasu's defencive parry martial arts (not sure what it's called) are exactly that, exceptions. They often don't impart the kind of effect that's to be expected from them. For example, Hit striking Vegeta in the temple region or his trachea should have very likely induced unconsciousness or respiratory difficulty. But it's physically interpreted by the animators as just being an uncomfortable sensation. Vegeta doesn't note anything really significant until Hit alters his tactics and attacks him with a hard hitting punch to the abdomen. It's all largely the same. You'll find more distinction in things like Piccolo or Tenshinhan's racially exclusive techniques

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Nowadays? There hasn't been an emphasis on actual martial arts skill since the original Dragon Ball.

Actually Super has done more to showcase their actual martial arts skill than Dragon Ball Z. Even then it was only shown in two fights.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:30 pm

The original Dragon Ball neglected to really distinguish the fighting styles also. It just happened to pay better attention to the hand-to-hand choreography instead of compromising it with accelerated shock-wave collisions and appendage flurries. Next to the characters already mentioned, there's Napapa being an obvious reference to Sumo wrestlers and perhaps a few other mismatched faces in this tournament. I can't say there's been all too many examples of raw skill on display, though.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:40 pm

MainJPW wrote:And it's not just Goku; everyone does it now:

turtle hermit style???
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:43 pm

precita wrote:That's said to be the best fighting stance that leaves no openings.
I don't see why, honestly. The fingers in that claw-like shape would be right open to getting grabbed and twisted.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Doctor. wrote:
precita wrote:That's said to be the best fighting stance that leaves no openings.
I don't see why, honestly. The fingers in that claw-like shape would be right open to getting grabbed and twisted.
Those fingers like that make no sense, though the position of the body should avoid getting hit in vital parts as much as possible, while providing a good opportunity of quickly switch to a more offensive stance to strike from the right.
Although that stance from Goku makes no sense considering he flies and rushes to attack 90% of the times. If they had Goku quickly moving with his feet towards his enemy it would look a lot better.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:44 pm

Didn't Nappa also use a stance similar to that once?

aravinthan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aravinthan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:53 pm

Guys it can be simply explained from the PoV of the person who draws the Genga. It may be just easy for them........

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Lionel wrote:The original Dragon Ball neglected to really distinguish the fighting styles also. It just happened to pay better attention to the hand-to-hand choreography instead of compromising it with accelerated shock-wave collisions and appendage flurries. Next to the characters already mentioned, there's Napapa being an obvious reference to Sumo wrestlers and perhaps a few other mismatched faces in this tournament. I can't say there's been all too many examples of raw skill on display, though.
I agree 100% with you. DB never had any of that martial arts people try to shove on our throats. As much as Z never lost the "adventure" people say the original had. Half of the original was just tournaments, how is this any more adventure-like than protecting Earth from aliens, demons and androids? Wow, wait... we had a demon back then, remember Piccolo Daimaoh? I don't know when such trend started, but it's really untrue. I have seen people say Yamcha was a badass back than but got shafted on Z, and that's not true either. He never won an on-screen fight in the manga without receiving any help, except for the Saibaiman one (and even then he died afterwards).

On topic, though, I think they're trying to relate this stance with Turtle Hermit Style students. Notice that in that screenshot someone posted above, Piccolo does not use the same stance as all others. As for Gohan, while he hasn't trained under Roshi, I think we can say he got it from Goku, perhaps...
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:59 am

The action in DB can be considered as basic, but exciting. Lots of speed and power, but not too much of varied powers (it's generally energy blasts) or strategic thinking.

A lot of current shonen (let's say from the 90s and onwards) has people using different powers and so needing to think strategically (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Certain Magical Index, etc). DB doesn't really go into that, because of Toriyama keeping it simple and because it's a martial arts story and not a superhero story; the techniques are basic hand-to-hand combat.

At times it can perhaps feel limited, but it can also be seen as part of DB's charm.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

lunaticthegame

Post by lunaticthegame » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:46 am

Didn't he use it when he was a kid?