So Super Saiyan Blue was for nothing? What was it even for?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Re: So Super Saiyan Blue was for nothing? What was it even for?

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:18 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:What was Super Saiyan for? or any other form for that matter then? They all seem like the ultimate power when they first show up.
SSJB did not seem like the ultimate power even when it was introduced. Golden Frieza still beat Goku's ass, and would have finished the job if it wasn't for his stamina issue.

SSJB has been the absolute worst SSJ transformation in the franchise, and I hated SSJG before it, but at least the radical increase of power there was evident.
We'll that's like just your opinion man. Same as mine and anyone elses.

Don't change the fact the forms are powerful, far more powerful then anything in Z. As I've said befor Supers theme is that it sets the heroes against foes who's power is so great, transformations are no longer an instant fix. Which is a nice change and has no bearing on power.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:33 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:What was Super Saiyan for? or any other form for that matter then? They all seem like the ultimate power when they first show up.
SSJB did not seem like the ultimate power even when it was introduced. Golden Frieza still beat Goku's ass, and would have finished the job if it wasn't for his stamina issue.

SSJB has been the absolute worst SSJ transformation in the franchise, and I hated SSJG before it, but at least the radical increase of power there was evident.

Don't change the fact the forms are powerful, far more powerful then anything in Z. As I've said befor Supers theme is that it sets the heroes against foes who's power is so great, transformations are no longer an instant fix. Which is a nice change and has no bearing on power.
Disregarding designs, what other transformation (excluding grades) has made less of an impact than SSJB? You can literally replace the transformation with regular SSJ and continue the plot point of Goku having "absorbed" SSJG's power into it. This happened and was stealthily retconned by the Champa arc.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:10 am

Boo Machine wrote:
precita wrote:The difference is these were Saiyan forms with God like power. These shouldn't be surpassed or tossed aside this easily.
The original SSJ was a legendary form that only comes around every 1000 years and is supposed to be powerful enough to stop a mad tyrant that destroys planets with his finger.

What happened to that form in the very next arc?

Also, Tossed aside easily? They've been around for 3 arcs and are still currently being used in it's 4th. This has to be the longest a form has lasted before just tossing it aside for the next one.
Nope. SSJ was relevant as late as the Buu Saga when Vegito used it. SSJ2 were both used in the Buu Saga as well. SSJ3 didnt last very long its probably the least used SSJ transformation. The arcs in Super are not as long as the 'sagas' in DBZ btw.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:24 am

gofishus wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
The original SSJ was a legendary form that only comes around every 1000 years and is supposed to be powerful enough to stop a mad tyrant that destroys planets with his finger.

What happened to that form in the very next arc?

Also, Tossed aside easily? They've been around for 3 arcs and are still currently being used in it's 4th. This has to be the longest a form has lasted before just tossing it aside for the next one.
Nope. SSJ was relevant as late as the Buu Saga when Vegito used it. SSJ2 were both used in the Buu Saga as well. SSJ3 didnt last very long its probably the least used SSJ transformation. The arcs in Super are not as long as the 'sagas' in DBZ btw.
What I meant was that SSJ got defeated by the next enemy and they had to use a new one. SSJ2. Which is also nothing to the very next villain. The point is that the Transformation get replaced with new ones when the next villain rolls around. I didn't say the old ones don't get used.

The Sagas in Super may not be as long, but the episode count is hardly the point. Especially when certain parts of the story drag and take place over a short period of time. The point is that once they achieved Blue, they didn't toss out it once the next antagonist showed up because they still used it as their go to ultimate form and instead figured out other ways to use it, whether that be the Anime's Kaioken or the mangas Perfected Blue form.

My point is it's ridiculous to say that Blue served no purpose and had no point when it has gotten plenty of mileage.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:51 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Disregarding designs, what other transformation (excluding grades) has made less of an impact than SSJB? You can literally replace the transformation with regular SSJ and continue the plot point of Goku having "absorbed" SSJG's power into it. This happened and was stealthily retconned by the Champa arc.
Well I'll grant you that but it has made up for that in the very next arc. But then it all makes Golden Frieza look wonderful so it dont bother me that much.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:26 am

Blue has gotten more screen time than the majority of other Super Saiyan forms and maintained as the best Saiyan transformation for three story arcs. It won't be going away if there is more story after the Tournament of Power, as well. Absolutely nothing is known about what's coming for Goku other than a key visual.

Didn't a lot of people just regard it as a boring palette swap transformation anyway?

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:40 am

Super Saiyajin Blue remained as the most powerful transformation of the Saiyans by 3 whole arcs. And it will continue being until the end of the tournament, when the new transformation appears (which may even be based on OWN Blue).
No transformation did that.

I do not know why people complain when that form is defeated. Does she have to be invincible and beat all the villains? What's the point of creating a continuation of DB then? That was exactly what happened to all the others.
The SSG was exceeded in less than one arc, and no one complains about it?

SSB has defeated 3 enemies so far. Considering the history of SSJ forms, this is one of the best.
SSJ also defeated 3 enemies.
SSJ2 only defeated one.
SSJ3 defeated NOBODY
SSG defeated NOBODY

Not to mention that Goku and Vegeta with the SSB surpassed the power of all the previous villains that gave problems to the Blue