Since this isn't going to get explained ...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Since this isn't going to get explained ...

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:44 am

Okay, since I feel Super Saiyan God's return is not going to be explained at all ... sigh ... what are your guys' thoughts on how he has reattained this new form?

Has he had it this whole time? Did he just recently unlock it? Something else?

The_Destroyer
Regular

Re: Since this isn't going to get explained ...

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:46 am

Super can explain strategies that fighters like Dyspo and Hit use, but yet cant be bothered to explain stuff like ss rage and now ssg. I don't get it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:51 am

He always had it. The ritual was performed successfully and he absorbed its power, no logical reason to think Super Saiyan God became unattainable.

No explanation in-universe as to why he never used it before, but there are many out-universe. No further explanation is necessary beyond that. It's a transformation he always had access to, in Movie 14 he transformed in order to repel Beerus' technique, confirming it was available to him since that period. There are no interviews implying Super Saiyan God couldn't appear again. Toriyama just said that there wouldn't be a reason for it to appear again since Goku had absorbed its power, but we know Toriyama very well at this point.

The same will/would be said for Vegeta if he happens to transform in the anime. Now that he saw Goku's strategy against Dyspo, he might do the same later on.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:59 am

Grimlock wrote:He always had it. The ritual was performed successfully and he absorbed its power, no logical reason to think Super Saiyan God became unattainable.

No explanation in-universe as to why he never used it before, but there are many out-universe. No further explanation is necessary beyond that. It's a transformation he always had access to, in Movie 14 he transformed in order to repel Beerus' technique, confirming it was available to him since that period.

The same will/would be for Vegeta if he happens to transform in the anime. It was implied in Movie 14 that Vegeta passed through the ritual but never used since then. Now that he saw Goku's strategy against Dyspo, he might do the same later on.
I think that is the easiest explanation, but then how does Base Goku vs. Monaka-Beerus get explained? Because Goku was crazy strong and Beerus seemed to put some effort into this. Is his Base really strong too? I just get confused by the way this is shown.
The_Destroyer wrote:Super can explain strategies that fighters like Dyspo and Hit use, but yet cant be bothered to explain stuff like ss rage and now ssg. I don't get it.
Yep, I agree with you. It really is unfortunate that we have no idea what any new form ACTUALLY is.

Unclear
SSG - ritual form with time limit, but disappeared, and is now back. But then is there no SBG as was thought during RoF?
SSB - Is this even "Super Saiyan version of a Saiyan with the power of Super Saiyan God" anymore?
SSRage - Ummmm, huh? Is this just the "true version of SS3" because that would make sense?

Known
SSRose - At least we know this is the version of SSB when a supreme kai's ki is involved.
SSBerserker - A primal form of saiyans that can't be controlled easily.
SSBerserker Controlled (Kale's SS) - Basically a controlled version of the broly-looking form. It is also closer to SS1 in power.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:16 am

ChiefWamsutta wrote:I think that is the easiest explanation, but then how does Base Goku vs. Monaka-Beerus get explained? Because Goku was crazy strong and Beerus seemed to put some effort into this. Is his Base really strong too? I just get confused by the way this is shown.
Well, I suggest you to ignore some content you see in Dragon Ball Super. You know, this show is not exempt from having filler scenes or even actual sagas, just like Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z had. I think it's pretty clear that what happens between the sagas that we know Toriyama is involved (Universe 6 saga, Future Trunks saga and Universe Survival saga only) are not meant to be taken seriously. If you do, you'll just end up confused as you already are. Also, try not to put too much thought on the power level subject.

But yes, Universe Survival's saga base Goku is strong, obviously. That's the ultimate law in Dragon Ball, keep getting stronger as time passes/sagas start and end. He's stronger now than he was in Future Trunks saga (as Future Trunks' saga base Goku was stronger than Universe 6's saga base Goku and etc).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:45 am

Does anything in Super ever get explained ? the writers thought it was a "cool" idea and did it, just like what they did with Trunks and countless other things. Does it make sense ? no, but they clearly don't care so they think we don't as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:16 am

BTW 2 base is dead an Gotenks a scrub

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:45 am

BTW with this side I have given up trying to explain power levels since Super.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:53 am

If it's not explained how he used it, the obvious conclusion is he had it all along..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:30 am

Ki Breaker wrote:If it's not explained how he used it, the obvious conclusion is he had it all along..
Beerus and Whis didn't seem surprised to see it so that seems to be the case but it still doesn't make sense. Why not have Goku say something like "You've never seen this, it's called SsjG and it could only be used through a special ritual but after fighting someone from another universe I decided to find a way to access it on my own" would something like that be so hard for the writers to do to line it up with previous events ?

That wouldn't answer why he decided to get a weaker form but something like "Unlike Blue which is stronger, this somehow has healing abilities that saved me when Beerus almost killed me back on earth" would be more than enough to excuse it.

Someone working on the show said he thinks Vegeta has it as well so we'll probably see it soon without any explanation.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:35 am

iunno. Guess he had it before.

Why didn't he use it before? Because Blue is a cooler color than red thats why. It's important to save the world but sometimes you just gotta go for style points. Can't be on the front page of the newspaper if you don't look fly.

How does he do it? He tingles his back SUPER HARD. Like this is god levels of Tingly's man, you don't even know. There ain't a back scratcher in this existence that can save you from those tinglys and it all just kind of erupts into flames and that's how you get SSJ god.

Obviously I don't have any actual answers, and to be frank I don't think it matters all that much. The only way this could upset me is if it doesn't play a continued role in the tournament and it was just here to show us that it's a thing that exists. That happens and I'll be as mopey as everyone else for like, I don't know, maybe 10, 20 minutes tops.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:46 am

You got three choices

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Goku saying "Well I guess that's just me" right after

Merch but that doesn't add anything to discussion

Despite the manga being its own thing, it would at least give insight on how it could be possible but it doesn't after checking. The BoG movie shows Goku being able to transform into God again despite deforming out of it. Honestly, its whack. Ironically, despite Super being known for not explaining, Super is the only out of the manga and movie that bothers to give some form of explanation that just leads up to why he hasn't bother to transform back to it rather than how.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:01 am

I think it's safe to say that Goku always had SSJG but just never bothered to use it because after he discovered SSJB could hit harder, he never felt the need to use SSJG. And to be fair, every major opponent Goku has come across (Golden Freeza, Hit, Zamasu, Goku Black) demonstrated themselves very early on to be at least as strong as SSJB. So using the SSJG in any kind of scenario beyond Battle Of Gods would have been redundant in hindsight. An explanation as to how Goku can power up back into SSJG would have been nice. But given the fact he did absorb the power of Super Saiyan God in the Battle Of Gods arc and made the power his own, I guess it was just a case of Goku's whim on his part as to whether he would use SSJG in its full form again in battle.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:06 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I think it's safe to say that Goku always had SSJG but just never bothered to use it because after he discovered SSJB could hit harder, he never felt the need to use SSJG. And to be fair, every major opponent Goku has come across (Golden Freeza, Hit, Zamasu, Goku Black) demonstrated themselves very early on to be at least as strong as SSJB. So using the SSJG in any kind of scenario beyond Battle Of Gods would have been redundant in hindsight. An explanation as to how Goku can power up back into SSJG would have been nice. But given the fact he did absorb the power of Super Saiyan God in the Battle Of Gods arc and made the power his own, I guess it was just a case of Goku's whim on his part as to whether he would use SSJG in its full form again in battle.
I'd have a much easier time buying this if the absoprtion thing wasn't in the anime, that and Blue having stamina issues (bwahahahahahahahahahahaha) makes his overuse of it earlier in this arc really, really stupid. Seriously, why doesn't he use God to demonstrate God level power with Krillin and 17
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:14 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I think it's safe to say that Goku always had SSJG but just never bothered to use it because after he discovered SSJB could hit harder, he never felt the need to use SSJG. And to be fair, every major opponent Goku has come across (Golden Freeza, Hit, Zamasu, Goku Black) demonstrated themselves very early on to be at least as strong as SSJB. So using the SSJG in any kind of scenario beyond Battle Of Gods would have been redundant in hindsight. An explanation as to how Goku can power up back into SSJG would have been nice. But given the fact he did absorb the power of Super Saiyan God in the Battle Of Gods arc and made the power his own, I guess it was just a case of Goku's whim on his part as to whether he would use SSJG in its full form again in battle.
I'd have a much easier time buying this if the absoprtion thing wasn't in the anime, that and Blue having stamina issues (bwahahahahahahahahahahaha) makes his overuse of it earlier in this arc really, really stupid. Seriously, why doesn't he use God to demonstrate God level power with Krillin and 17
To be fair, time moves incredibly slow in the Tournament Of Power arc. In-universe, Goku has used SSJB about 4 times but only for like 10-15 seconds at the most in each occasion. It's not like SSJB has the crippling power and stamina issue like SSJ3 has. It just drains you stamina over an unspecified period of time.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:22 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
To be fair, time moves incredibly slow in the Tournament Of Power arc. In-universe, Goku has used SSJB about 4 times but only for like 10-15 seconds at the most in each occasion. It's not like SSJB has the crippling power and stamina issue like SSJ3 has. It just drains you stamina over an unspecified period of time.
Doesn't the Hit fight have him refrain from even turning it on because its too costly? Where's Super Saiyan God in that fight, for instance? In fact, if Blue being fine for little bursts is a thing, why does any inferior SS form get used at all? Just have him fart Blue out for a bit to kick someone's ass momentarily then turn it off to conserve power.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:29 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: I'd have a much easier time buying this if the absoprtion thing wasn't in the anime, that and Blue having stamina issues (bwahahahahahahahahahahaha) makes his overuse of it earlier in this arc really, really stupid. Seriously, why doesn't he use God to demonstrate God level power with Krillin and 17
Doesn't the Hit fight have him refrain from even turning it on because its too costly? Where's Super Saiyan God in that fight, for instance? In fact, if Blue being fine for little bursts is a thing, why does any inferior SS form get used at all? Just have him fart Blue out for a bit to kick someone's ass momentarily then turn it off to conserve power.
No. Goku says he doesn't turn into Blue against Hit because it burns him out fast, not because the mere act of turning it on is costly. He didn't want to waste stamina in the time it took for him to figure how to counter Tokitobashi. Why he doesn't go God? Well, that's the question of the day isn't it? :problem:
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:33 am

Draconic wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: To be fair, time moves incredibly slow in the Tournament Of Power arc. In-universe, Goku has used SSJB about 4 times but only for like 10-15 seconds at the most in each occasion. It's not like SSJB has the crippling power and stamina issue like SSJ3 has. It just drains you stamina over an unspecified period of time.
No. Goku says he doesn't turn into Blue against Hit because it burns him out fast, not because the mere act of turning it on is costly. He didn't want to waste stamina in the time it took for him to figure how to counter Tokitobashi. Why he doesn't go God? Well, that's the question of the day isn't it? :problem:
This does make me wonder about the outlines, because Toriyama must've told Toei and Toyotaro they can bring back God well over a year ago if the manga is any indication along with this God-Blue switching strategy and yet the anime's been late on utilizing both of these.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:40 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Draconic wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Doesn't the Hit fight have him refrain from even turning it on because its too costly? Where's Super Saiyan God in that fight, for instance? In fact, if Blue being fine for little bursts is a thing, why does any inferior SS form get used at all? Just have him fart Blue out for a bit to kick someone's ass momentarily then turn it off to conserve power.
This does make me wonder about the outlines, because Toriyama must've told Toei and Toyotaro they can bring back God well over a year ago if the manga is any indication along with this God-Blue switching strategy and yet the anime's been late on utilizing both of these.
I assume for the manga it was just Toyotaro doing his thing and since he said he'll send info to the anime staff, all of this is him as well.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:40 am

Maybe he started to project the form as a more compacted means for acquiring that power? I imagine powering up in base would require some time. Transforming doesn't take very long after awhile. In fact, this recent episode demonstrated that Goku can shift in and out of forms almost instantaneously. Out of universe explanation may have something to do with wanting to try and match up better with the manga; this recent stint of SSJG has Toyotaro's essence all over it.