People are getting tired of Goku and here is why

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Re: People are getting tired of Goku and here is why

Post by Jigurashi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:23 pm

TBMx wrote:DBZ Goku - Looks shocked at Vegeta's tearful confession of his past with Frieza, ignores his enemy and respectfully buries the Saiyan Prince, saying how he understands his past mistakes and how it wasnt all his fault. Kneels before the burial mound, asks to share his fiery will with him and says he'll do his best to carry out his wish of destroying Frieza.

Dbz Super Goku would have cut him off after the first sentence: He's strong enough to beat Vegeta!! That's interestin!! Fight me Frieza!!! *Charges at Frieza and leaves Vegeta to the crows*.
Super's Goku definitely would do this that is if Vegeta wasn't on the verge of death.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:51 pm

TBMx wrote:DBZ Goku - Looks shocked at Vegeta's tearful confession of his past with Frieza, ignores his enemy and respectfully buries the Saiyan Prince, saying how he understands his past mistakes and how it wasnt all his fault. Kneels before the burial mound, asks to share his fiery will with him and says he'll do his best to carry out his wish of destroying Frieza.

Dbz Super Goku would have cut him off after the first sentence: He's strong enough to beat Vegeta!! That's interestin!! Fight me Frieza!!! *Charges at Frieza and leaves Vegeta to the crows*.
Except for the fact in Japanese that "tearful confession of his past" and Goku's forgiveness never happened. Vegeta tells Goku that Freeza killed the Saiyans and for that reason Freeza must die at the hands of a Saiyan, Goku dosen't forgive Vegeta's actions but he respects his pride and how Freeza used Vegeta, used the Saiyans. Goku doesn't carry out Vegeta's wish of destroying Freeza, he accepts that for all his fellow Saiyans, as the last Saiyan left he must defeat Freeza. Goku's OWN pride is what makes him fight Freeza.

And must I mention how the very next episode Goku was simply smiling, chatting and toying with Freeza in their fight. If Goku wanted to truly destroy Freeza, why did he not go all out from the start? Also Goku never even did kill Freeza, so he didn't do his best to destroy Freeza. He spared Freeza, TWICE. Goku was always in it for the fight more to avenge Vegeta and later Kuririn. If he really was doing it for them, why did he never kill Freeza? Cause Goku had won the fight, to Goku the fight was done.

If you're gonna compare DBZ Goku to Super Goku, at least make sure they're both constant. You can't compare Season 3 Dub Goku to Japanese Super Goku.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:52 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:

Except for the fact in Japanese that "tearful confession of his past" and Goku's forgiveness never happened.
You can't compare Season 3 Dub Goku to Japanese Super Goku.
Why would I care? I'm not Japanese. The Japanese dub means nothing to me. If you're talking about canon, look how mature Goku acts here, and here:
(scanlation links removed by administrator)

Goku says "For all the Saiyans and Nameks you killed...as if he actually cares about life! In the manga, Vegeta says how Frieza killed and enslaved the Saiyans and Goku actually listened and cared. If this were Super he wouldn't even hear it. He'd be trembling with thrills at how "interestin" the prospect of fighting Frieza is and how he can't hold it in anymore. Like the Flanderized caricature he is. I don't see how that can be up for debate at this point.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:59 pm

TBMx wrote:
Why would I care? I'm not Japanese. The Japanese dub means nothing to me. If you're talking about canon, look how mature Goku acts here, and here:
(scanlation links removed by administrator)

Goku says "For all the Saiyans and Nameks you killed...as if he actually cares about life! In the manga, Vegeta says how Frieza killed and enslaved the Saiyans and Goku actually listened and cared. If this were Super he wouldn't even hear it. He'd be trembling with thrills at how "interestin" the prospect of fighting Frieza is and how he can't hold it in anymore. Like the Flanderized caricature he is. I don't see how that can be up for debate at this point.
Well if you're trying to make a point then you'd want to be as accurate as possible. Thus using the lines and phrases used in it's original run, in japanese.

You don't see how Goku would or wouldn't act in a hypothetical you created (Super Goku in Z namek Saga) can be up for debate?
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Meshack wrote:How do you remove the main character from the series? Especially someone who fits the role better than everyone else! Dragon Ball is a martial arts based manga/anime series. Son Gokuh is the perfect fit for this type of series. Gokuh loves to fight strong opponents even if it puts his family and friends in danger. He loves fighting more than anything else because he's a Saiyan. Vegeta's a Saiyan too but he needs Gokuh to get stronger. So why would you remove someone who makes others stronger in the end? Everyone participating as one of the 7th Universe Representatives got stronger because of Son Gokuh.

Who cares if Gokuh is shoved down our throats everyone episode? He's the main character! Find me a series that doesn't focus on the main character because there isn't one.
One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Tokyo Ghoul
Shingeki no Kyojin

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:09 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Meshack wrote:How do you remove the main character from the series? Especially someone who fits the role better than everyone else! Dragon Ball is a martial arts based manga/anime series. Son Gokuh is the perfect fit for this type of series. Gokuh loves to fight strong opponents even if it puts his family and friends in danger. He loves fighting more than anything else because he's a Saiyan. Vegeta's a Saiyan too but he needs Gokuh to get stronger. So why would you remove someone who makes others stronger in the end? Everyone participating as one of the 7th Universe Representatives got stronger because of Son Gokuh.

Who cares if Gokuh is shoved down our throats everyone episode? He's the main character! Find me a series that doesn't focus on the main character because there isn't one.
One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Tokyo Ghoul
Shingeki no Kyojin
I can't speak for the last 2 because I haven't seen or read them, but I'm pretty sure One Punch and Hero Aca heavily focuses on Saitama and Deku.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:13 pm

TBMx wrote:Why would I care? I'm not Japanese.
Kanzenshuu's mission, "...continues to be to spread our love and enjoyment of the original Japanese version of the Dragon Ball franchise — the single version that can be and is enjoyed across the entire planet by all types of fans — with the most accuracy and cited documentation that we can, all wrapped up in an entertaining package. We do this through our global news coverage, extensive guides, our podcast, expert commentary, and our community collaboration."

Our forum rules (which you agreed to twice prior to registration) state:
Kanzenshuu Forum Rules wrote:Additionally, it must be recognized that fans can and will be familiar with all sorts of different versions (or “re-versionings”, if you will) of the franchise. However, emphasis will be placed on the original Japanese version, as it is the single “global” version that can be enjoyed by all, and is the primary focus of Kanzenshuu as a whole.
Furthermore, your post contains a link to an illegal scanlation hosting site.

None of what you are experiencing in terms of responses from your peers and in this warning here should come as a surprise. Your tone is unwarranted and your content is in clear violation of the spirit of our community rules. A strike has been lodged against your account. These add up to temporary/permanent bans, which revoke access to the entirely of the Kanzenshuu website.

I would ask that you and all others reading this message re-evaluate what it is you may be looking to get out of your time here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:28 am

Boo Machine wrote:
You don't see how Goku would or wouldn't act in a hypothetical you created (Super Goku in Z namek Saga) can be up for debate?
I don't. Because the Goku caricature's reaction to hearing that 7 universes were going to be erased as a result of this tournament was to smile and say "I just have to win!" You can't take that character and then made a decent argument that he'd care about the fall of planet Vegeta, or anything prince Vegeta had to say there.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:11 am

I can understand why people would get tired of a character if they don't change, though the idea that a main character hogs the spotlight or that it's an unusual or bad thing that the main character gets the bulk of the focus is ridiculous. Goku doesn't hog the spotlight. That makes him sound like a diva who threw a hissy fit to get more screen time. Toriyama and Toei chose to focus on the main character.
I don't. Because the Goku caricature's reaction to hearing that 7 universes were going to be erased as a result of this tournament was to smile and say "I just have to win!" You can't take that character and then made a decent argument that he'd care about the fall of planet Vegeta, or anything prince Vegeta had to say there.
Goku has always been eager for a fight... ALWAYS. It's the reason he let Piccolo and Vegeta go. It's the reason he allowed Dr. Gero to create the cyborgs despite advanced warning, and it's the reason Goku and Vegeta crushed the Potara.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:15 am

Boo Machine wrote:I can't speak for the last 2 because I haven't seen or read them, but I'm pretty sure One Punch and Hero Aca heavily focuses on Saitama and Deku.
Nope, OPM doesn't heavily focus on Saitama. He's the last resort most of the times, or casually used to finish up opponents. There's a lot of focus on the worldbuilding and heroes.

I mean, Saitama doesn't need to train anymore and "get experience" like normal shonen heroes do, since he's the most powerful human already.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:17 am

Xeogran wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:I can't speak for the last 2 because I haven't seen or read them, but I'm pretty sure One Punch and Hero Aca heavily focuses on Saitama and Deku.
Nope, OPM doesn't heavily focus on Saitama. He's the last resort most of the times, or casually used to finish up opponents. But there's a lot of focus on the worldbuilding and heroes.

I mean, Saitama doesn't need to train anymore and "get experience" like normal shonen heroes do, since he's the most powerful human already.
Interesting trivia, but that doesn't mean it's a better story because of that fact.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:23 am

ABED wrote:
Xeogran wrote:
Nope, OPM doesn't heavily focus on Saitama. He's the last resort most of the times, or casually used to finish up opponents. But there's a lot of focus on the worldbuilding and heroes.

Interesting trivia, but that doesn't mean it's a better story because of that fact.
Well, One-Punch Man is personally my favorite manga. A summary can't describe how interesting it actually can get.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:25 am

Xeogran wrote:
Nope, OPM doesn't heavily focus on Saitama. He's the last resort most of the times, or casually used to finish up opponents. There's a lot of focus on the worldbuilding and heroes.

Yeah, but isn't that the entire point of the story? OPM is based on a gag, meaning that everything (build-up, personal drama, tension, etc.) is pointless because of Saitama always wins. It's a commentary or parody or what will you on shonen action story.

It's actually a fitting parallel to the original DB. We talked how Goku was absent and that gave the other character's time to shine, but from another perspective, it rendered everyone's efforts meaningless in the end because it always fell on Goku to defeat the bad guy.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:32 am

Michsi wrote:
Xeogran wrote:

Yeah, but isn't that the entire point of the story? OPM is based on a gag, meaning that everything (build-up, personal drama, tension, etc.) is pointless because of Saitama always wins. It's a commentary or parody or what will you on shonen action story.

It's actually a fitting parallel to the original DB. We talked how Goku was absent and that gave the other character's time to shine, but from another perspective, it rendered everyone's efforts meaningless in the end because it always fell on Goku to defeat the bad guy.
The entire Sea King story arc in particular was something out of Dragon Ball with all the secondary characters getting their asses kicked and nearly dying after putting up these great fights, only for Saitama come and waste the guy in one-hit. A bystander lampooned this by saying how worthless the other supposed heroes were if it only took one person to take to the sea monster.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:35 am

Xeogran wrote:
ABED wrote:
Xeogran wrote:

Well, One-Punch Man is personally my favorite manga. A summary can't describe how interesting it actually can get.
That's fine but it's one story and it would be reductive to say that it's a good show primarily for that reason or even that it's necessarily better for that reason. I would argue that most stories revolve around one central character.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:39 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Xeogran wrote:

The entire Sea King story arc in particular was something out of Dragon Ball with all the secondary characters getting their asses kicked and nearly dying after putting up these great fights, only for Saitama come and waste the guy in one-hit. A bystander lampooned this by saying how worthless the other supposed heroes were if it only took one person to take to the sea monster.
And do you remember how it ended? [spoiler]Saitama dared to insult himself, in order to make sure the other Heroes get the credit. That's a move not many main characters would be willing to do, and made sure their sacrifice wasn't in vain in the eyes of public.[/spoiler]
Michsi wrote:OPM is based on a gag, meaning that everything (build-up, personal drama, tension, etc.) is pointless because of Saitama always wins.
It's not pointless when majority of the characters in-universe aren't personally aware of Saitama's strength. It's not like they call him to auto-win.
Last edited by Xeogran on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:41 am

Are you against Goku getting so much focus or main characters in general getting the bulk of the spotlight?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:42 am

ABED wrote:Are you against Goku getting so much focus or main characters in general getting the bulk of the spotlight?
I have no problems with how Super is portraying Goku in the center of the action, I was simply replying to perucho's statement.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:45 am

Stories are largely about change, so I can understand if readers get frustrated by a character who hasn't changed in decades. Hell, I don't think he's fundamentally changed at all from DB chapter 1. He's gotten a little smarter, he's physically grown up, and he had a family, but I don't think he's learned much and mentally matured. I don't agree with those claiming he got more merciful after training with Kami.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:47 am

Xeogran wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:

And do you remember how it ended? [spoiler]Saitama dared to insult himself, in order to make sure the other Heroes get the credit. That's a move not many main characters would be willing to do, and made sure their sacrifice wasn't in vain in the eyes of public.[/spoiler]
Michsi wrote:OPM is based on a gag, meaning that everything (build-up, personal drama, tension, etc.) is pointless because of Saitama always wins.
It's not pointless when majority of the characters in-universe aren't personally aware of Saitama's strength. It's not like they call him to auto-win.
I remembered how it ended. Doesn't change the fact that the characters were pointless until Saitama showed up and rendered everything done a punchline. Hence, the joke.

Saitama Is an auto-win, that's the joke. The characters not knowing is also a joke.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.