The False Hype of ToP

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Duo
I Live Here

Re: The False Hype of ToP

Post by Duo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:09 pm

sintzu wrote:They announced it's ending in Novemebr and when you take inot account the breaks we'll get (I think 2), that doesn't leave much time left.
Was your source on this reputable? I retract and apologize for my statements if that is true, but I find it pretty odd that I've heard nothing about this.
sintzu wrote:When you're half way or close to that much through an arc, you've pretty much seen what it has to offer. I highly doubt there's going to be a huge jump in quality at this point.
To me, this sounds like watching the Majin Buu arc until the fight between Goten and Trunks at the tournament and saying "Eh, I think I've seen everything I need to here."

Plus, you're going to keep watching anyway in all likelihood, so what's the point in deciding the whole thing was "false hype"? Nothing so far has contradicted what the tournament said it was going to be in promotional materials.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:23 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:It is not confirmed to be ending in November.
I'm pretty sure it was announced in a magazeen. If not then there might be time to change things around a bit but I'm not expecting anything major.
Duo wrote:Was your source on this reputable ? I retract and apologize for my statements if that is true, but I find it pretty odd that I've heard nothing about this.

This sounds like watching the Majin Buu arc until the fight between Goten and Trunks at the tournament and saying "Eh, I think I've seen everything I need to here."

You're going to keep watching anyway in all likelihood, so what's the point in deciding the whole thing was "false hype"?

Nothing so far has contradicted what the tournament said it was going to be in promotional materials.
Everyone was talking about it in Super's main topic with a scan from a magazeen showing it. It could've been false cause this franchise is known for having countless rumors left and right. I don't know where it is off the top of my head but if it's uncorrect then like I said above, there might be time to change things.

No, the Buu arc is 92 episodes so of course it wouldn't be fair to judge it early. Now after watching 50 or so episodes then you pretty much know where things are going.

Of course I am, I plan on watching Super till the very end, regardless of how bad things might get but that doesn't mean I'm going to look the other way when it is bad.

We are getting what we were told we would, it's just not living up to what it could've been. When we were told in BOG that there were beings in those 12 universes that were even stronger than Beerus, fans were going to expect them to deliver and so far they haven't. We've gotten 70 new fighters across 7 universes and so far all of them apart from a handfull are nothing compared to Goku let alone Beerus. I think Toriyama brought that up in BOG as a way of saying "there's always someone stronger out there" and not as something meant to be used later. As far as I know, Toriyama wrote BOG as a one time story and I think if he knew he'd be doing more he wouldn't have brought that concept up.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:29 pm

I recall seeing photos of that magazine page, but because it was cut off at the bottom Herms said something along the lines of being unable to really confirm anything since the important information was located where that cut off line was.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Chuquita wrote:I recall seeing photos of that magazine page, but because it was cut off at the bottom Herms said something along the lines of being unable to really confirm anything since the important information was located where that cut off line was.
Yup people namely gojitaaf jumped the gun and declared that and then the folks that actually read and understand Japanese said otherwise. So we don't know when the arc is ending.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I recall seeing photos of that magazine page, but because it was cut off at the bottom Herms said something along the lines of being unable to really confirm anything since the important information was located where that cut off line was.
Yup people namely gojitaaf jumped the gun and declared that and then the folks that actually read and understand Japanese said otherwise. So we don't know when the arc is ending.
I don't think it's completely unlikely to see it end in November cause half the fighters are out so it should take that same amount to get rid of the rest.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:13 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I don't think it's completely unlikely to see it end in November cause half the fighters are out so it should take that same amount to get rid of the rest.
I'd hate that, the recruitment episodes started a slow pace and then one episode boom a lot of hours passed, I hope the same happens here don't think I can keep interest if it drags until November...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:20 pm

November would be a harsh wait, but if Toei's mimicking their own "yearly" thing like how last year ended, I could see it. End in November, do filler for December and January partly because holiday season and travel, start up the next arc in February.

It wasn't as punishing last year because the Zamasu arc started in June, not February. (Also there were more things to theorize about and a mystery to solve with that arc which we don't have in this one.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:32 pm

I can't fault anyone for feeling the hype didn't pay off. It's not like the unreasonable expectations some people had came out of nowhere:
- the early stuff with Goku and Beerus promised a more dramatic turn of events than what we got up to this point;
- the Exhibition Matches and the Recruitment Arc showcased some great fights, for a long stretch of episodes, yet for the main event the show slowed down on that front;
- the Battle Royale setting with 8 Universes going at it also set-up a much grander event, but outside of a couple fighters, most of the new guys were very underdeveloped in both personality and fighting skills and actually, even a couple of those who got built up prior to the Tournament ended up taken out off screen.

Nothing is bad per se. The individual episodes work well and some are actually great, but the event as a whole doesn't deliver much excitment to see things unfold.

There are great stand out moments: Krillin's fights, Kale's rampage, pretty much everything 17 does, pretty much everything Hit does, the Saiyan girls vs the Pride Troopers; and there are some cool new characters: Basil, Obni, Dyspo, Brianne, Majora. Even some of the fodder had interesting abillities and skills.

Everything feels disconnected, though, because most of those cool moments don't leave a lasting impact on the story. None of this fun stuff actually leaves you wanting to see more of it. I mean, of all the aforementioned moments, only Kale's rampage actually had a consequence (the destroyed arena). Outside of that everybody just went on with their business by the next episode.

To give an example: Universe 9's destruction doesn't accomplish much of anything. No one is taking things more seriously and no one is closer to winning or losing, because all the heavy hitters are still in, basically unharmed.

If those "real time" videos are any indication, I think binge-watching everything once it's over will make the story much more enjoyable, especially since there are still exciting things to look forward to. The serialized format isn't doing the arc any favors. The lack of impact in the story will still be there, but thing will go faster and you don't have to wait a week to get basically the same thing again but with different characters.
The Black arc was handled much better in this aspect: the mystery of Black's identity kept you guessing for a week what would happen and the fights were so hard fought that you were on your toes waiting to see how they pull off a win this time.

Another big problem is Jiren, who is built up as this big bad... By doing nothing. If he were out there taking out hard hitters every episode, you could at least look forward to Goku's fight with him and have everything in between be obstacles to get to that, obstacles that could be cool and affecting both players and their teams. But since we know the fight is coming anyway and yet, Jiren is doing bugger all, there is nothing really to look forward to. The guy has nothing going for him and yet he overshadows every other fighter, leaving you the feeling everything is pointless before he comes into play, so until then you are stuck watching a bunch of pretty irrelevant stuff.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:52 pm

The problem is that all the fights at the beginning are lower tier vs high tier and the few that are high tier vs high tier no one has gone out. So what is the point of the lower tiers then?

In any battle royale you will get absolute chaos with 1vs1, 2 s1, 4vs2, 6vs3, 7 vs 2. The fights would continuously interupt each other.

Dyspo is weakened now so should struggle against someone who is lower tier and would have a good chance of losing. This applies to Kale and Caulifla as well. They should not regain any stamina or strength because of the time limit. This is how battle royales work. In no battle royale would all high tier fighters last to the end in brilliant condition.

There is no reason why any fighter can't win a battle royale due to the way they work.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:10 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:The problem is that all the fights at the beginning are lower tier vs high tier and the few that are high tier vs high tier no one has gone out. So what is the point of the lower tiers then?

In any battle royale you will get absolute chaos with 1vs1, 2 s1, 4vs2, 6vs3, 7 vs 2. The fights would continuously interupt each other.

Dyspo is weakened now so should struggle against someone who is lower tier and would have a good chance of losing. This applies to Kale and Caulifla as well. They should not regain any stamina or strength because of the time limit. This is how battle royales work. In no battle royale would all high tier fighters last to the end in brilliant condition.

There is no reason why any fighter can't win a battle royale due to the way they work.
Which is why I said it feels like they're sacrificing the fights that could be interesting like Trio De Dangers against someone actually close in power by placing them against people like Goku who they have no chance against, just so they can rush to the big fights. Well I think I'm not alone in wanting to see some of the weaker or unknown fighters actually be relevant for more than an episode.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:17 pm

sintzu wrote: I don't think it's completely unlikely to see it end in November cause half the fighters are out so it should take that same amount to get rid of the rest.
If Goku vs Freeza (1v1) could last 10 episodes I don't see why a dozen of fighters fighting each other can't last longer.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:19 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Maybe but as the poster said its unknown where the arc would end so wait and see

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:00 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:If Goku vs Freeza (1v1) could last 10 episodes I don't see why a dozen of fighters fighting each other can't last longer.
Because they don't have the time, budget or staff to do that now. At most the important fights will be 2 episodes each with Goku's final being 3.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:21 am

There is literally no reason for any fight to go on 10 episodes. This isn't the 1990's. This isn't DBZ where they had to stretch things out so they wouldn't catch up to the manga.

The climatic fight of the tournament will probably be 3-4 episodes at most and that's fine. Why on earth would anyone want a 10 episode fight? You do realize in real life that would take 2 and a half months to cover right? If people are complaining now imagine how bad that will be.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:10 am

You know what's going to kill me? If Frieza, after so much hype, badassery, innuendoes and promises to Goku about the two of them not finished, gets KOed like it's nothing and Goku doesn't resurrect him (PSYCHE!!) once this whole brouhaha is done with.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:48 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: If Goku vs Freeza (1v1) could last 10 episodes I don't see why a dozen of fighters fighting each other can't last longer.
Different show, different times mate.