Future Trunks In The Super Manga

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ssjprodigy
Beyond Newbie

Future Trunks In The Super Manga

Post by ssjprodigy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:50 pm

This question is for Future Trunks Fans what is your opinion of his backseat role and lower power in the manga compared to the anime? do you think he shold have gotten the "kill" or power boost or are you satisfied he was in the story in the first place. I didn't really care either way cause I wasn't interested in the arc in the first place reply what you think and be respectful

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Future Trunks In The Super Manga

Post by Zephyr » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:45 pm

There's nothing wrong with having a backseat role, or not being the strongest. I thoroughly enjoyed the stuff that he did. His fight with Dabura was badass, and seeing a Saiyan take on this kind of a support role was unexpected and cool.

His role in the finale wasn't as thematically poignant with the whole theme of "Hope", but I was plenty satisfied regardless.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:36 pm

Okay, Future Trunks is second favorite character in Dragon Ball (Caulifla being my absolute favorite), so as a fan, I was extremely disappointed that he just took a backseat role in the manga. As people would complain about his role in the anime, to me, it made sense. The arc was all about him, it was literally called the Future Trunks Arc. And as much of an (I hate it when people say this word nowadays) "asspull" it was, I was incredibly satisfied with the Genki Dama Sword scene, that is until Episode 67 came out and ruined it. But his role in the manga was such a bummer and actually made that "Zeno blowing up the Future timeline" scene even worse. I really wish Toriyama wrote in his outline of the arc saying something like, "Trunks kills Zamasu, and saves the day" or something. It would've really made that arc much more great in my opinion. Or maybe even steal from Xenoverse and Supreme Kai of Time appears and makes Trunks a time patroller or something. Anything but "Zeno blows up the Future timeline". So yeah, Trunks in the manga, huge disappointment. The Trunks in the anime was much better.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:17 pm

Future trunks was among my top 3 before anime's take on him, getting the kill but it being as forced as it was breaks the story and the character..
The manga version is actually more along the lines of his true personality and his powers make sense, backseat role or not, not only did his involvement not break vital parts but also helped further helped establish his image as hope...
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Trunks is a great character and I was overjoyed just to see him come back for another arc. From the get-go, I assumed that he would not end up being a "major combatant" compared to Goku and Vegeta, so it was pretty surprising when the anime found a way to shove him to the forefront. The manga, however, maintained a more proper relationship with the original manga. I don't know how the blessing of seeing more of this character could be so twisted by fans into being a bad thing because he didn't "get the kill" in one version of the story. For what it's worth, he's actually characterized more consistently and effectively despite the loss of being a big old badass.

Also, has it been forgotten that he generally played just a supporting role through most of his time in Z? Or the fact he was literally dead during the climax of the Cell arc? I really don't see how he "got the shaft" compared to having a baseball sized hole in the chest.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:02 pm

I like both versions of Trunks from the Anime and Manga.

But I also appreciate that Trunks was able to be awesome in his own way in the manga that didn't just involve punching really hard. The 2 stand out moments for me in the manga were his "sacrifice" so Goku and Vegeta could go back to the present and escape being killed by Black. And Trunks using his sick ass healing powers. I thought giving him healing power was a really neat way to keep him in the game, and I'm kinda bummed that they imply that he is going to give them up.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:53 pm

Trunks and the lore were taken seriously and in order to do that he had to take a back seat. Toyotarou went out of his way to show a difference in power between everyone and all the forms so it only made sense for Trunks to be handled that way. In the manga, SsjB and villains of that power>>>>>>>Ssj3 power which was Trunks' level.

The anime on the other hand doesn't care about any of that, everyone is more or less on the same level regardless of their form or who they are. Merged Zamasu can fight Blue Goku but so can #17 who when we saw him last was barely putting up a fight with Piccolo.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:07 am

I absolutely love what Toyo did with Trunks.He had one awesome fight with Black at the start of the arc and he had a lot of moments too[killing Dabura and getting SS2 in the flashback,being a meat shield for Goku and Vegeta to escape,healing Goku,cutting Zamasu in half etc.]

Toyo made his absolute best to keep Trunks relevant while also trying to keep hia power leve faithful to the original manga.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:14 am

sintzu wrote:Trunks and the lore were taken seriously and in order to do that he had to take a back seat. Toyotarou went out of his way to show a difference in power between everyone and all the forms so it only made sense for Trunks to be handled that way. In the manga, SsjB and villains of that power>>>>>>>Ssj3 power which was Trunks' level.

The anime on the other hand doesn't care about any of that, everyone is more or less on the same level regardless of their form or who they are. Merged Zamasu can fight Blue Goku but so can #17 who when we saw him last was barely putting up a fight with Piccolo.
Yeah it's not like 17 trained latter on in the series to put him at those levels
Trunks role was much better anime except fore the genki sword and killed the notion of it being the goku and vegeta show.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:18 am

I liked the fight vs Dabura and thats it, that was Trunks only highlight in the manga.

If the anime gave a proper explanation about SSJ Ikari(like the secret being the back tingles which foreshadows Caulifla unlocking SSJ), then it wouldve been perfect despite looking asspullish.

The anime did a great job destroying the notion of DBS being the Goku and Vegeta show. Relegating Goku and Vegeta to support characters during the fight vs Merged Zamasu was the best thing the show has done.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:30 am

pacz360 wrote:Yeah it's not like 17 trained latter on in the series to put him at those levels.

Trunks role killed the notion of it being the goku and vegeta show.
Vegeta with the most advanced training methods of earth barely got to Gohan's level in 7 years, Goku with the most advanced training methods in the universe apart from Whis couldn't even control Ssj3 in those 7 years yet this guy who probably did little to nothing got to SsjB Goku's level ? It's beyond bad writing, yet somehow Toyotarou's the bad writer ?

The problem wasn't him getting a major role, it's how they handled it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:22 pm

sintzu wrote:
pacz360 wrote:Yeah it's not like 17 trained latter on in the series to put him at those levels.

Trunks role killed the notion of it being the goku and vegeta show.
Vegeta with the most advanced training methods of earth barely got to Gohan's level in 7 years, Goku with the most advanced training methods in the universe apart from Whis couldn't even control Ssj3 in those 7 years yet this guy who probably did little to nothing got to SsjB Goku's level ? It's beyond bad writing, yet somehow Toyotarou's the bad writer ?

The problem wasn't him getting a major role, it's how they handled it.
Trunks isn't gohan where he'll fuck around and study the dude had been training for years
Him reaching blue level isn't the problem considering a guy like freeza reach it in four months and a guy like 17 reach it in 13 year's
The problem was how it was handled

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:44 am

Zeno had the kill moment anyway. Genki sword no way. He needed to cut the fusion, no need for fireworks and then he killed Black, or so he thought. Trunks doesn't mess around, he killed Freeza and his father as fast as that too.

I would have liked it if he had had a power up to fight against Black and Zamasu. Two options: one, they call Gohan and Goten before leaving and they make the ritual, so he goes SSG and later SSB. Two, change the flashback, so the Z sword wasn't destroyed, when present Shin and Gowasu escape with him and Mai, they unseal the future elder and he unlocks his power, ultimate Trunks. SS Rage no, I prefer the manga as we had, better a supporting role than that.
Heno heno kappa!

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:08 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Okay, Future Trunks is second favorite character in Dragon Ball (Caulifla being my absolute favorite), so as a fan, I was extremely disappointed that he just took a backseat role in the manga. As people would complain about his role in the anime, to me, it made sense. The arc was all about him, it was literally called the Future Trunks Arc. And as much of an (I hate it when people say this word nowadays) "asspull" it was, I was incredibly satisfied with the Genki Dama Sword scene, that is until Episode 67 came out and ruined it. But his role in the manga was such a bummer and actually made that "Zeno blowing up the Future timeline" scene even worse. I really wish Toriyama wrote in his outline of the arc saying something like, "Trunks kills Zamasu, and saves the day" or something. It would've really made that arc much more great in my opinion. Or maybe even steal from Xenoverse and Supreme Kai of Time appears and makes Trunks a time patroller or something. Anything but "Zeno blows up the Future timeline". So yeah, Trunks in the manga, huge disappointment. The Trunks in the anime was much better.

Nope I didn't like the Manga one bit, The Future Trunks saga is (as you would expect) about Trunks, it's his time to be awesome.
And what do they do In the Manga ?....he sits on the sidelines doing nothing watching the Goku and vegeta show. :evil:

The Anime was sooo much better, and before people go complaining about powerlevels, Trunks was never stronger than Goku and Vegeta.
The fact that he seemed almost on equal footing was because his base forms are more powerful than those of Goku and Vegeta. (blame it on him being a hybrid)
And the fact that he has been fighting his whole life without any help from powerful friends, no sensu beans and no dragonballs has made him incredibly powerful.
So no I don't care about so called "asspulls" non Trunks fans are complaining about, I'm just glad they brought back my favourite character and made him look awesome in the Anime.

Why couldn't they do that in the Manga? :thumbdown:

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:28 pm

trunks representation in the manga is better than the anime because his power fits along where he should be except being as strong as ssj3 goku but whatever. There's no way in hell he could be as strong as a god let alone slice one up like he did zamablack

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:47 pm

For me, the whole Zamack arc ruined him forever and badly, but the manga treated him slightly better imo
His fight vs Dabura in that flashback is awesome, the Kai 's apprentice healing power too, and generally I prefer manga version

I don't say I didn't like Ikari Trunks, but...dunno, I pick the manga one

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Oh, and the whole ssj2 rivaling Goku's ssj3 explanation and that fight, I loved it, so another +1 for manga

Answering more specifically to your question, I'm OK with those aspects you pointed this way, as they gone, maybe too much Goku and Vegeta attention but whatever, for me Trunks looked like an useless pussy anyway,

giving him the final kill etc. Could have been too predictable and silly imo, it's better to choose something more original

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:02 pm

It's more than just giving Future Trunks the "main kill". It's how well you develop the story leading up to it from Future Trunks' perceptive and how much you're personally invested in his outcome based on what you know about what Future Trunks has experience and how you witnessed it.

The anime gave me more incentives to get personally invested into and make me attached to Future Trunks story. Whether it be Haru, Maki, Earth's Resistance or Future Yajirobe, the anime gave me a reason to care more what occurs in Future Trunks world because he still had something to fight for and is seen as a beacon of hope that those who still remain on Earth look up to. It makes the Genki Dama Sword, while nonsensical in practice, work extremely well in a thematic and conceptual sense because, from the beginning of the arc to the end of the arc, Future Trunks was fighting valiantly for what remained of humanity in his world, and every step of the way, the humans that remained on Earth supported him every time things looked grim and he was looked up as the hope bringer for the world. So I find the idea of the humans that were left urging Future Trunks on so much that they innately gave him their power to slain an extreme misanthrope like Merged Zamasu very satisfying and cathartic.

The manga also pulled the major narrative fumble of skipping over Future Bulma's death. And robbed the story of one the most emotional moments of the entire arc. I don't understand why would Toyotaro skim over such a detail like that. It goes back to my point of giving me something to personally feel invested into with the story. The anime played up the nature of her death so well that Future Trunks' PTSD influenced nightmares and hallucinations in the anime feel all the more dramatic and genuine because you personally witnessed the horrific nature of Future Bulma's demise as he did and you can sympathize with him on personal level as you can understand much more the mental trauma he is going through with the circumstances he has had to deal with. These are all small things but it makes such a huge different to how much you attach yourself to his character and care more for his journey beyond a surface level.

I know people will bemoan the anime for its shortcoming with how it handles the strength of Future Trunks in the arc. And I can certainly understand those complaints very much so. But having power consistency is one thing, and making me care about the fate of the characters and being personally invested in them is another. And I personally cared much more Future Trunks' story in the anime than I did in the manga. There was more to cling on to in the anime that when it snatched away from you, in the fashion that it was in Episode 67, it resonated with you in some way very strongly. There just wasn't enough for me to personally invest into the manga's interpretation of the the events of the Future Trunks' story in his own arc.

The manga made him feel like a supporting character who ultimately didn't feel needed in the plot 80% of the time. And despite the nature of Merged Zamasu's defeat and his unexplained new SSJ form, Future Trunks felt like the central focus of his arc in the anime for better or for worse and made me care so much more for what he lost or gained.

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:16 am

I don't see how you can be a future trunks fan and be pleased with what toyotaro did with him in the manga. There's no personal protagonist/antagonist dynamic in the manga causing a emotional disconnect. Trunks being a glorified pro wrestling manager in the manga and fighting for no one makes the whole arc feel pointless and empty.

I agree with what lord beerus wrote. My thoughts exactly

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:38 am

Abra kadabra wrote:I don't see how you can be a future trunks fan and be pleased with what toyotaro did with him in the manga. There's no personal protagonist/antagonist dynamic in the manga causing a emotional disconnect. Trunks being a glorified pro wrestling manager in the manga and fighting for no one makes the whole arc feel pointless and empty.

I agree with what lord beerus wrote. My thoughts exactly
I could make some changes, but I'm far more pleased with what Toyotaro did than what Toei. There is protagonist and antagonist dynamic, Trunks, Goku and Vegeta fighting Black and Zamasu. Trunks does fight, with huge power difference, but he does fight Black twice. I always say, a power up, why not, but something that make a minimum sense. A cool technique against merged Zamasu, why not, but the same as before. Toei failed in the how, not in the what. But the how was that bad that it ruined the what. Trunks was fighting to defeat Black anyway, whose intention was to kill all humans, it wasn't pointless to fight him at all. Zeno erasing the timeline and Trunks and Mai going to live with their copies, not big fan of that, that was for both.
Heno heno kappa!