I can't be the only one who's lost some interest w/o Krillin and Tien, can I?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Re: I can't be the only one who's lost some interest w/o Krillin and Tien, can I?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:56 pm

Duo wrote:Kuririn has had enough presence of character in various episodes to where I did not need him to last long in the tournament. His being first out was acceptable to me, and I enjoyed the episode leading up to that point.

Tenshinhan's entire existence in Super has somehow been treated like an outright joke. I can deal with it and move past, considering he's been getting shoved aside for decades, but I do not understand why he got brought in at all with the exception of Resurrection 'F'. It was hard not to expect something more before he decided he didn't want to be in the tournament any longer. He could have at least held down a stronger opponent by repeated firing the Kikoho as a throwback to Cell while Piccolo charged an attack or something. He's like the one exception in the entire cast from managing to do anything notable.
Pretty much this, Krillin had a whole episode dedicated to him and even though he was the first eliminated, it felt like he did his part. Besides they got to keep up the joke that he is the punching bag.

As for Tien, his recruitment episode did nothing for him other then make Roshi look good. I was hoping Tien would get the same treatment like the others however 106 only had half the episode focused on him and even then while a cool moment, he didn't shine as fully as he could have.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Olympian
Regular

Re: I can't be the only one who's lost some interest w/o Krillin and Tien, can I?

Post by Olympian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:47 pm

blackbewhite2k7 wrote:
I've always been in the camp of the Top human fighters not really being that far apart (Barring maybe Yamcha, who stopped caring after 20 put a hole in his chest), no matter who's at top, given all the factors to consider.

Krillin is definitely better off now, but half of Super hardly treated him that well. It was implied up until they came back to Roshi for Training before the ToP that Krillin was WAY out of shape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJSsUbEI8tc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrTls3ulGcY

Prior to coming out of retirement its fair to say Tien (and Roshi) > Krillin.
Now It's the other way around, but the arc could have easily said Krillin trained in the Time Chamber instead of using normal human training equipment in his house...
The 180º is that Yamcha in the 2008 movie "Goku and Friends" was hinted together with Kuririn to still be training since not only they wanted to fight the duo they were using their GI under the civies. Then the F movie comes in and benches Yamcha out and brings Ten in who was left out altogether in the previous movie.

Kuririn will always have his safe spot. He`s clearly more popular than either and he`s best friend with the main character.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:22 am

The episode given to Krillin can be compartmentalised into segments with only a few minutes actually entailing combat screen time for him. It's a paltry amount in the grand scheme of things that arguably fails to measure up to the same level of quality as Goku fighting the Trio de Dangers in the first episode of the tournament. Nothing much amounted from it. It would be foolish to expect anything massive, but if he could have done something to distinguish himself a bit more like, say, take the tip of Frost's tail off or graze the face of one of the stronger characters through cleverness and technique, then the impression he gave might have been more long-lasting.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:27 am

Let's be honest, these guys were just fillers and nostalgia. Tori could have easily made it 5 per team and just kept the strongest. They had their 15mins and I wasn't expecting a whole lot more ever since the beggining when no one was working as a team. Most of them split up for individual fights.

And throughout the increasing power level bullshit thats been going on... Tori should be looking at krilin and tien and scaling every other characters power level the same as them. Fucking claui and kale bullshit. They should have been gone as quickly as krilin and tien, not tingly feeling in the back super saiyan

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:52 am

Main characters, former or otherwise can never be accounted for filler. They`re popular and iconic in their own right to the franchise. Fandom overuses the term way too often.

Plus, with Super pretty much making Kuririn and Roshi useful, any filler comment regarding (as usual) power level is out of the bag, as long writers are willing and they have proven they aren`t that exactly against the notion.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

JustIs

Post by JustIs » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:56 pm

I don't think you're alone in that thinking. At least; my interest in the TOP plummeted massively once Krillin was eliminated (it's still one of my top 2 episodes of the arc thus far). When Tien was eliminated, I lost a little interest as well as the humans and Piccolo were always my favourite characters.