Do you feel that my boy Piccolo is being screwed?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Whatever
Regular

Re: Do you feel that my boy Piccolo is being screwed?

Post by Whatever » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:53 am

Michsi wrote:
Whatever wrote:Piccolo has been going downhill since the buu arc.
....the anime version of the ROF arc.
I still think this is the biggest offender when it comes his treatment in Super. I'm honestly curious to know how and why they went with this. The bitter pragmatist in me thinks they did this to cut costs. No need to animate another fight sequence, just have him die. And that wasn't well animated either. I mean, I seriously hope it wasn't because they thought fans would react better to watch him sacrifice himself again. Yes, Piccolo and Gohan's bond is well loved in this franchise, yes, people like seeing how much they care for each other, but this scene did a disservice to both of them imho.

As for U6 arc, that went a tiny bit better for him. Vegeta not letting him get his turn might be interpreted as him believing Piccolo might actually stand a chance of winning, and he really wanted a go at Frost. Yes? No? Maybe? Still bad, but not ROF bad.
Look at what happened to him in GT,he got owned and then died for no reason(yes i know the whole blackstar dragonballs thing but it came out of nowhere and it honestly seems to me he died only for them to fill out 1 episode).
Then look at the rof arc,he got owned and then died for no reason.
Both GT and Super were both made by Toei,so somebody on the writing staff must really not like Piccolo,or they just did it for fake tension and to fill out episodes.
I doubt its a animation thing,if you ask me Piccolo vs Rubalt seems to me like a case of them not wanting to animate Piccolo fighting.

As for the U6 arc,thats just a case of giving him his win to somebody else.
HeroR wrote: Piccolo died in Resurrection 'F' so Gohan's lack of training had far more dire consequences and get his ass back in training. That is literally it.
Yeah he gave up training again anyways by the FT trunks arc,they most likely killed him for fake tension and to give Gohan some screentime by having him react to it just like in GT.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:54 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
That initial training came to nothing and Piccolo was back to mocking him in the Future Trunks arc. After arc is done Gohan will probably end up going back to what he was like before.
Not true. It was just a slow burn since Gohan is clearly stronger at the start of the Universal Survival Saga than he was in Resurrection 'F'. And Piccolo didn't mock Gohan. All he said was that Gohan wasn't a warrior anymore. There is a different between getting back in shape and being in 'warrior mindset' as Piccolo explained in 88.

And Piccolo will got back to being useless.
Whatever wrote: Yeah he gave up training again anyways by the FT trunks arc,they most likely killed him for fake tension and to give Gohan some screentime by having him react to it just like in GT.
No he didn't. It was never said he gave up training the Future Trunks Saga. Piccolo only said he wasn't a warrior anymore, which isn't the same as not training.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:06 am

HeroR wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
That initial training came to nothing and Piccolo was back to mocking him in the Future Trunks arc. After arc is done Gohan will probably end up going back to what he was like before.
Not true. It was just a slow burn since Gohan is clearly stronger at the start of the Universal Survival Saga than he was in Resurrection 'F'. And Piccolo didn't mock Gohan. All he said was that Gohan wasn't a warrior anymore. There is a different between getting back in shape and being in 'warrior mindset' as Piccolo explained in 88.

And Piccolo will got back to being useless.
Whatever wrote: Yeah he gave up training again anyways by the FT trunks arc,they most likely killed him for fake tension and to give Gohan some screentime by having him react to it just like in GT.
No he didn't. It was never said he gave up training the Future Trunks Saga. Piccolo only said he wasn't a warrior anymore, which isn't the same as not training.
Piccolo said that he is not a warrior in a way that mocked him for not being a fighter. His initial training cane to nothing and everyone can see that and you actually think Gohan is going to train enough to not go backwards again?

According to you Piccolo is already useless so how can he possibly go back to being useless.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:17 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Piccolo said that he is not a warrior in a way that mocked him for not being a fighter. His initial training cane to nothing and everyone can see that and you actually think Gohan is going to train enough to not go backwards again?

According to you Piccolo is already useless so how can he possibly go back to being useless.
Again, he didn't. You're making that up. And his initial training did come to something since he was clearly stronger in Zen'o matches than he was in Resurrection 'F' and gave a good performance, both power and skill-wise. And maybe, maybe not. That's up to Toriyama.

Here, he's at least a babysitter. Without Gohan, he's literally nothing but a low-end joke.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:24 am

HeroR wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

Again, he didn't. You're making that up. And his initial training did come to something since he was clearly stronger in Zen'o matches than he was in Resurrection 'F' and gave a good performance, both power and skill-wise. And maybe, maybe not. That's up to Toriyama.

Here, he's at least a babysitter. Without Gohan, he's literally nothing but a low-end joke.
I still don't how Piccolo is a joke and Goku showed more respect to Piccolo than anyone else when recruiting the team.

Gohan showed a lot of power against Lavenda did he? That is the same Gohan who got completely owned by Piccolo but you call Piccolo weak. That is a complete contradiction and basically proves my point that people like you will try all you can to make Piccolo seem like a joke compared to other characters.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:55 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Because him getting beaten within an inch of his life wouldn't be enough to get that point across? :)
Or at least let him have his fight with Shisami before killing them both off so unceremoniously.
In the movie, Gohan is only one-shotted by Freeza, who he couldn't beat anyway even if he did trained.
Does it matter who he loses horribly to? Whether it was Freeza, Tagoma, or Ginyu, we would still have gotten the message loud and clear even without Piccolo dying. The point was that he shouldn't have gotten one-shotted by anyone.

And the message about Gohan finding his determination to train so he could protect kinda evaporates after the end of that arc anyway, so there's that too.
Without Gohan, he's literally nothing but a low-end joke.

Ah great, this again....
Piccolo said that he is not a warrior in a way that mocked him for not being a fighter
I don't remember Piccolo mocking him though.
Look at what happened to him in GT,he got owned and then died for no reason(yes i know the whole blackstar dragonballs thing but it came out of nowhere and it honestly seems to me he died only for them to fill out 1 episode).
Then look at the rof arc,he got owned and then died for no reason.
Both GT and Super were both made by Toei,so somebody on the writing staff must really not like Piccolo,or they just did it for fake tension and to fill out episodes.
I doubt its a animation thing,if you ask me Piccolo vs Rubalt seems to me like a case of them not wanting to animate Piccolo fighting.

As for the U6 arc,thats just a case of giving him his win to somebody else.
I don't know what to say about GT. It had a number of questionable decisions, so it wasn't him alone that got the short end of the stick. It felt like they didn't know what to do with him so they found a way to write him out of the story but in a dramatic fashion. The ending scene of GT at least suggested they acknowledged his importance.

So who knows, maybe there really is someone on the write staff doesn't like him.
Last edited by Michsi on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:04 am

Michsi wrote:
HeroR wrote:Without Gohan, he's literally nothing but a low-end joke.

Ah great, this again....
Doesn't Gohan need Piccolo more than Piccolo needs Gohan since Piccolo has trained and protected Gohan whereas Piccolo has not needed Gohan at all.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:23 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:
HeroR wrote:Without Gohan, he's literally nothing but a low-end joke.

Ah great, this again....
Doesn't Gohan need Piccolo more than Piccolo needs Gohan since Piccolo has trained and protected Gohan whereas Piccolo has not needed Gohan at all.
I was mostly expressing exasperation at this type of comment. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion regarding a character or anything like that, or dissuade anyone from participating in threads about characters they themselves don't like or even care about, but is it really necessary to be so demeaning?

From a story perspective, it could be argued that Piccolo needs Gohan more. Gohan's the more popular one with a strong tie to the protagonist whereas Piccolo needs his bond with him to get more scenes. As I said, I think they wouldn't know what to do with him otherwise. But from a in-universe perspective, yes, they made it seem like he needs Piccolo.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:24 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
I still don't how Piccolo is a joke and Goku showed more respect to Piccolo than anyone else when recruiting the team.

Gohan showed a lot of power against Lavenda did he? That is the same Gohan who got completely owned by Piccolo but you call Piccolo weak. That is a complete contradiction and basically proves my point that people like you will try all you can to make Piccolo seem like a joke compared to other characters.
The only time Goku showed respect towards Piccolo is training Gohan. Every other time he's either ignoring him, blowing him off, or using him as a low-end measure stick. And Goku showing more respect towards Piccolo during the recruiting doesn't say much since no one outside of 17 and Gohan pretends Piccolo exists.

Yes he did, he crap on Lavenda even when poisoned. Yes, Piccolo was stronger than Gohan because he kept training harder. Then Gohan surpassed him to the point that Gohan doesn't even need to go Ultimate against him.

I don't make Piccolo a joke. He has been a joke since the Buu Saga.
Kanassa wrote:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:26 am

supercat wrote:I would hate to see Piccolo fighting the new Namekians, as it would mean they are basically as weak and pathetic as he is. The only time they should fight is if one of the new Namekians just flick him out of the ring and scoff him off as a weakling before facing off against Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, or Frieza. Having opponents that are SSB-tier would also show they are quite powerful themselves.

Fighting Piccolo, using ugly attacks, running away, playing more hide and seek will only devalue these potentially awesome characters. Piccolo is basically nothing at this point, and I would hate to see the new Namekians tossed into the same pile of trash as him.

And to answer your question, both Piccolo and Tien have similar fighting styles. The kind of battle I find to be a waste of time to even watch. I would much rather see one of the four universe 7 fighters I mentioned above (Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, and Frieza). The four of them have so much to offer compared to insignificant weaklings like Tien, who basically was showcased in the most humiliating fashion and Piccolo, a weakling who makes very little progress despite all that training. Maybe he actually would have learned a thing or two if he actually had more confidence to train with Goku and Vegeta. Then perhaps, he wouldn't have been humiliated like that against Frost. So pride-less, just like Tien, who also decided not to use the RoSaT back in the Cell saga. But then again, Piccolo smiling about a fodder like Tien saving him instead of criticizing himself for his own weakness just shows how little he thinks of himself.
Is power the only aspect of a character that you care about? Seems like a pretty restrictive and superficial way of looking at the series, especially since power dynamics can change whenever the staff wants to, as proven by characters like Freeza and #17, who not too long ago were "weaklings" as you call it.

And Piccolo did use the ROSAT in the Cell arc.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:57 am

HeroR wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

The only time Goku showed respect towards Piccolo is training Gohan. Every other time he's either ignoring him, blowing him off, or using him as a low-end measure stick. And Goku showing more respect towards Piccolo during the recruiting doesn't say much since no one outside of 17 and Gohan pretends Piccolo exists.

Yes he did, he crap on Lavenda even when poisoned. Yes, Piccolo was stronger than Gohan because he kept training harder. Then Gohan surpassed him to the point that Gohan doesn't even need to go Ultimate against him.

He went to Piccolo becuase Goku knows he would want to fight strong opponents just like him and he actually told Piccolo straight away about the consequences of the tournament whereas he did not do you anyone else so don't give me nonsense he does not respect Piccolo. You actually believe no one notices Piccolo?

Where is your evidence that Gohan does not need Ultimate to beat Piccolo? This is just a lie.

What makes him a joke? I fail to see where he is a joke. Gohan is the joke since he is the one who still needs Piccolo's help all the time.
Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:

Ah great, this again....
I was mostly expressing exasperation at this type of comment. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion regarding a character or anything like that, or dissuade anyone from participating in threads about characters they themselves don't like or even care about, but is it really necessary to be so demeaning?

From a story perspective, it could be argued that Piccolo needs Gohan more. Gohan's the more popular one with a strong tie to the protagonist whereas Piccolo needs his bond with him to get more scenes. As I said, I think they wouldn't know what to do with him otherwise. But from a in-universe perspective, yes, they made it seem like he needs Piccolo.
What has popularity got to do with it. Gohan went missing for a long time so can't be that popular and it is only Goku who is way more popular than everyone else. You also believe that Piccolo needs Gohan for scenes? The first tournament gets rid of Dragon Ball super of that completely.

Many of you fail to realise how big a character Piccolo is and many of you have convinced yourselves that 17 is now a more bigger character than Piccolo. I have realised that talking about Piccolo on here is pointless as people only ever think about what joke they can make about him instead of what actually happens in the show itself. This applies to many characters in the show.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:22 am

namekiansaiyan wrote: What has popularity got to do with it. Gohan went missing for a long time so can't be that popular and it is only Goku who is way more popular than everyone else. You also believe that Piccolo needs Gohan for scenes? The first tournament gets rid of Dragon Ball super of that completely.

Many of you fail to realise how big a character Piccolo is and many of you have convinced yourselves that 17 is now a more bigger character than Piccolo. I have realised that talking about Piccolo on here is pointless as people only ever think about what joke they can make about him instead of what actually happens in the show itself. This applies to many characters in the show.
Objectively speaking, popularity has often got a lot to do with story decision making. It's not everything, and there are certainly artists out there who don't care about this type of ranking, but it does play an important part most of the time. I imagine it's the reason Vegeta got his secondary protagonist status.

I believe #17 is nowhere near as popular as Piccolo, but he did get a boost because he is new and shiny, and apparently has fans among the writing staff.

As I said, many seem to get a kick out of belittling a character they themselves don't like or care about. I subscribe to the idea that Piccolo isn't being treated very well, but I sure don't think he's been downgraded to such an extent that others seem to think. I will always see him as great character, with a lot of potential.

Buu arc wasn't his greatest performance, but I still thought he was mostly great. (I enjoy characters for far more than just their action scenes, even in Dragon Ball, which is why I also liked episode 106 for the most part.) The only thing that really bothered me was him giving up against the Kaioshin.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:05 pm

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: What has popularity got to do with it. Gohan went missing for a long time so can't be that popular and it is only Goku who is way more popular than everyone else. You also believe that Piccolo needs Gohan for scenes? The first tournament gets rid of Dragon Ball super of that completely.

Objectively speaking, popularity has often got a lot to do with story decision making. It's not everything, and there are certainly artists out there who don't care about this type of ranking, but it does play an important part most of the time. I imagine it's the reason Vegeta got his secondary protagonist status.

I believe #17 is nowhere near as popular as Piccolo, but he did get a boost because he is new and shiny, and apparently has fans among the writing staff.

As I said, many seem to get a kick out of belittling a character they themselves don't like or care about. I subscribe to the idea that Piccolo isn't being treated very well, but I sure don't think he's been downgraded to such an extent that others seem to think. I will always see him as great character, with a lot of potential.

Buu arc wasn't his greatest performance, but I still thought he was mostly great. (I enjoy characters for far more than just their action scenes, even in Dragon Ball, which is why I also liked episode 106 for the most part.) The only thing that really bothered me was him giving up against the Kaioshin.
If writers on the team are 17 fans and are deliberately making him look good while leaving others out when it is not even their story then they are a disgrace who don't deserve to write the show in my opinion. Also others do act as if they think 17 is the next Vegeta.

The only reason Vegeta got popular was becuase Toriyama kept using him. Krillin and Tien were very popular but for some reason decided to stop using them.

The Buu arc was just about Saiyans so I don't really care about it anymore since we now have Dragon Ball Super and Toriyama has ditched the kids while Gohan doesn't have his strength advantage anymore.

If we were to go the worst and most stupid route to increase Piccolo's strength in Dragon Ball which is fusion then Piccolo could have 2 big power boosts with the Universe 6 Namekians so in theory no one should be worrying about Piccolo being relevant in the future. These 2 Namekians are not here just for the no reason and I want the Red Eyed form to be official in the show.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:56 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
If writers on the team are 17 fans and are deliberately making him look good while leaving others out when it is not even their story then they are a disgrace who don't deserve to write the show in my opinion. Also others do act as if they think 17 is the next Vegeta.

The only reason Vegeta got popular was becuase Toriyama kept using him. Krillin and Tien were very popular but for some reason decided to stop using them.

The Buu arc was just about Saiyans so I don't really care about it anymore since we now have Dragon Ball Super and Toriyama has ditched the kids while Gohan doesn't have his strength advantage anymore.

If we were to go the worst and most stupid route to increase Piccolo's strength in Dragon Ball which is fusion then Piccolo could have 2 big power boosts with the Universe 6 Namekians so in theory no one should be worrying about Piccolo being relevant in the future. These 2 Namekians are not here just for the no reason and I want the Red Eyed form to be official in the show.

If there was one thing that makes me hopeful, aside from the Saonel and Pirina appearing in the TOP, is that DBO focused heavily on the namekians and Toriyama had a heavy hand in that project. I think he is fond of them, just knows they can't hold a candle to the saiyans in terms of fan appeal.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

If there was one thing that makes me hopeful, aside from the Saonel and Pirina appearing in the TOP, is that DBO focused heavily on the namekians and Toriyama had a heavy hand in that project. I think he is fond of them, just knows they can't hold a candle to the saiyans in terms of fan appeal.
Dragon ball online is exactly why I can see these Namekians having a Red eyed form as Toriyama was involved in it.

Giving Piccolo something or having new Namekians is not going to affect the Saiyans since he has Frost and Frieza from the same race, Hit is popular and he brought back 17 and made him strong so Saiyan appeal has nothing to do with it and the fact he has 6 Saiyans in the tournament already is not going to play a role in Toriyama's thinking.

I like that he included 2 Namekians though instead of 1.

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:30 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
supercat wrote:I would hate to see Piccolo fighting the new Namekians, as it would mean they are basically as weak and pathetic as he is. The only time they should fight is if one of the new Namekians just flick him out of the ring and scoff him off as a weakling before facing off against Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, or Frieza. Having opponents that are SSB-tier would also show they are quite powerful themselves.

Fighting Piccolo, using ugly attacks, running away, playing more hide and seek will only devalue these potentially awesome characters. Piccolo is basically nothing at this point, and I would hate to see the new Namekians tossed into the same pile of trash as him.

And to answer your question, both Piccolo and Tien have similar fighting styles. The kind of battle I find to be a waste of time to even watch. I would much rather see one of the four universe 7 fighters I mentioned above (Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, and Frieza). The four of them have so much to offer compared to insignificant weaklings like Tien, who basically was showcased in the most humiliating fashion and Piccolo, a weakling who makes very little progress despite all that training. Maybe he actually would have learned a thing or two if he actually had more confidence to train with Goku and Vegeta. Then perhaps, he wouldn't have been humiliated like that against Frost. So pride-less, just like Tien, who also decided not to use the RoSaT back in the Cell saga. But then again, Piccolo smiling about a fodder like Tien saving him instead of criticizing himself for his own weakness just shows how little he thinks of himself.
Yes Piccolo has ugly attacks in comparison to Vegeta amazing techniques such generic ki blasts, and charging at an opponent only to get knocked on his ass, or the best of all, screaming some stupid bullshit about his power and dickriding himself which totally isn't a negative and annoying character trait. It's almost like Vegeta is regressive character thats gone back to his Cell saga self.

Piccolo, at this point, has the potential to have more interesting fights than Vegeta if they write him properly and with some sort of dignity.
Piccolo and dignity don't really go hand in hand. The guy smiles when a weakling like Tien rescues him, when he should have been scoffing and saying he didn't need any help. And he didn't even blame himself for letting such a useless wimp save him. Until Piccolo shows he could be as harsh and prideful as he once was, he's nothing more than a watered down version of his former self, that's basically lost any cool aspect to his personality to that parasitic half of his.

supercat

Post by supercat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Doctor. wrote:

Is power the only aspect of a character that you care about? Seems like a pretty restrictive and superficial way of looking at the series, especially since power dynamics can change whenever the staff wants to, as proven by characters like Freeza and #17, who not too long ago were "weaklings" as you call it.

And Piccolo did use the ROSAT in the Cell arc.
This is a series where power plays a huge role, so of course I prefer to see stronger fighters over a bunch of weaklings running around each other, hiding, and looking petrified every time they get near each other. Frieza and Android 17 came back with major power ups, something Piccolo, despite all his training had not really been able to get. From an in-universe perspective, that's pathetic. He's not nearly as pathetic as Tien, but still pathetic. Ugh why even have him shake hands with Android 17, he's way out of his league. I know they fought and all in the past, but in no way is Piccolo worthy of being Android 17's rival in my opinion.

I was talking about Tien not using the RoSaT and Piccolo rejecting Goku's offer to train. Not only does that show how prideless he's become, it shows he's content with his current level of weakness. He never had a problem training with SSJ Goku in the past, why? Probably because he was ambitious and he cared about power. It's only after merging with Mr. Popo's friend he became all soft.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:41 pm

The Saiyan Royal wrote:

What do you have against Piccolo?
He hates the color green.

But in all honesty, he spews the same nonsense over and over again. Best to ignore him.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:53 pm

It takes me a long time to lose hope, but I really am. He's been severely mishandled but it is what it is. I'm not expecting anything good from Piccolo anymore. And someone else got it right, if his inevitable elimination is similar to Tien's then that should be a nail in the coffin for anybody who still believes that Piccolo will be relevant plot wise and make a good contribution to the story in the future. Just won't happen.

His mistreatment has my interest in Super a bit down, though not fully because I do like other characters. But it's partly why I'm not posting as frequent as I used to.

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:10 pm

HeroR wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

And what non-saiyan Z fighter isn't a joke at this point outside of the Androids who aren't part of the original Z fighter crew? Piccolo was the only non saiyan Z fighter to keep up with the Saiyan protagonists for as long as he did.

At least he had a defined role in the Buu arc which included not being Gohan's bodyguard. The downhill trend started really after the Buu arc because they didn't have a role for Piccolo outside of this annoying one which is attached to Gohan.

I just wish they would get Piccolo to be his own guy and not have his fate consistently attached to Gohan. It drives one crazy sometimes.