Why have 17 and 18 simply vanished?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Why have 17 and 18 simply vanished?

Post by precita » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:53 pm

I just realized we have not seen 17 or 18 in quite a while. What happened to them? For all the hype 17 got especially for being brought back in the tournament, he only really had maybe an episode and a half of spotlight so far. 18 got some nice wins in, but I still want to see her do more. Especially since there's a great possibility of 18 being the next main character knocked out of the tournament, so I fear she doesn't have much time left.

Since Universe 3 still has a lot of fighters left, I would like to see 17 and 18 "clean house" of all the robot fighters. Would seem fitting.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why have 17 and 18 simply vanished?

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:36 pm

I know I've said this a bunch of times already but...

Goku is fighting other people right now, if you'd like to fight Goku, please take a number and proceed to line A. Do not cut in line, do not attack each other, please proceed in an orderly fashion towards the Goku.

If you'd like to fight someone after Goku fights, please take a number and proceed to line B. Do not cut in line, do not fight, do not move, go sit behind a rock somewhere or turn invisible and we'll call you when you're ready. Depending on the your ticket number, some people will be able to go twice, or even three times before your number is called. Do not complain, be patient, this is simply how we retain structure and order in the Tournament of Power.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Asura wrote:I know I've said this a bunch of times already but...

Goku is fighting other people right now, if you'd like to fight Goku, please take a number and proceed to line A. Do not cut in line, do not attack each other, please proceed in an orderly fashion towards the Goku.

If you'd like to fight someone after Goku fights, please take a number and proceed to line B. Do not cut in line, do not fight, do not move, go sit behind a rock somewhere or turn invisible and we'll call you when you're ready. Depending on the your ticket number, some people will be able to go twice, or even three times before your number is called. Do not complain, be patient, this is simply how we retain structure and order in the Tournament of Power.
I lol'd. This was funny. The twins will probably get more screen time later on, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if their time is running out soon.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:59 pm

i would like to see more of #18. #17 already had badass moments, but #18 not so much. Even if she is going to be the next to be eliminated, i want to see a WHOLE episode dedicated to her being badass before getting out.

Also, i doubt that #17 will be knocked out before Gohan or Piccolo.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:33 pm

I'm a fan of the Android siblings, but I actually want the robots from U3 to at least eliminate #18. It would be a great surprise if they somehow were to defeat #17 too.

Universe 3 really deserves to do something important and this is their best bet.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:45 pm

17 and 18 have done more than Piccolo so far.

The tournament tends to focus on a few characters at a time. I am sure it will get back to 17 & 18.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Kinokima wrote:17 and 18 have done more than Piccolo so far.

The tournament tends to focus on a few characters at a time. I am sure it will get back to 17 & 18.
Piccolo in 12 episodes has had one 15 second fight which was just the Hellzone Grenade and is his only elimination.

This is just ridiculous and 17 and 18 have had a lot more.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:08 pm

They've vanished for the same reason Freeza hasn't been shown for several episodes. Super has to balance several different characters across several different writers this tournament, so instead of intermingling several separate subplots in an episode, they just focus on one or two.

If Ribrianne stays in-bounds after Jiren shows up, we'll probably see a 2v2 match of 17 and 18 vs. Ribrianne and Rozie soon. It's the only reason I can think of to have kept Rozie in the ring, anyway.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:48 pm

precita wrote:I just realized we have not seen 17 or 18 in quite a while. What happened to them? For all the hype 17 got especially for being brought back in the tournament, he only really had maybe an episode and a half of spotlight so far. 18 got some nice wins in, but I still want to see her do more. Especially since there's a great possibility of 18 being the next main character knocked out of the tournament, so I fear she doesn't have much time left.

Since Universe 3 still has a lot of fighters left, I would like to see 17 and 18 "clean house" of all the robot fighters. Would seem fitting.
Be patient. Only Goten and Trunks actually vanished this arc. 17 and 18 will be back.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Wow strike 2 in one day, the cabba joke and this :lol:.I think there hiding like everyone else or there just waiting in line, I'm sure #17 will have another focused episode because he is the shiny hero so be patient
Mostly active on discord.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:00 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
precita wrote:I just realized we have not seen 17 or 18 in quite a while. What happened to them? For all the hype 17 got especially for being brought back in the tournament, he only really had maybe an episode and a half of spotlight so far. 18 got some nice wins in, but I still want to see her do more. Especially since there's a great possibility of 18 being the next main character knocked out of the tournament, so I fear she doesn't have much time left.

Be patient. Only Goten and Trunks actually vanished this arc. 17 and 18 will be back.
They did not vanish,in fact this is the most usefull they have ever been.
Thanks to them protecting the island,17 can join the tournament.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:04 pm

It's weird because it's been a couple episodes/weeks for us but actually like 10 minutes in the tournament

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Whatever wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:

Sir, do you mock me?
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:50 pm

Whatever wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:

I actually demand an episode of Trunks, Goten, and Marron on the Island.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:11 am

Funniest thing I've read on the forum so far. Thank you very much for that!

To the OP: 18 has done quite a lot so far and #17 has gotten a lot of screentime too. I think they'll either take part in another important episode or have their own fairly soon now that so many fighters have been eliminated. It makes sense that not every character can be utilized at once in a battle royale, but I think they've used the two very well so far. Who's not being used very well or very often is Piccolo. Big green has less eliminations than Tien and has spent most of his limited screen time either being ineffectual or getting his ass handed to him.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:57 am

In a tournament this big, I don't understand how this is a question that can be asked. Call upon the power of an attention span and these things will no longer be mysterious.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:51 am

The narrative has been extremely segmented for the last couple of episodes. In the beginning of the TOP we had several U7 members appear and react to something or another, even if they weren't the focus of that episode, but now it sticks exclusively with the characters that have a role to play in that particular episode. I mean, they didn't even spare Piccolo a single scene to explain why he suddenly wasn't with Gohan anymore even though it feels disjointed considering the episode before that.

So tl;dr, we have to wait for them to get their turn again, they had some screen time already.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:33 am

They got a lot of time early compared to others. They are doing something we just haven't seen it. Not that much tournament time has passed since we saw the really.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:28 am

Frieza was also gone for quite a few episodes. Aside from Goku, no other character needs to be on every episode.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:44 am

Why do people keep making threads like this?

Neither Android 17 or 18 have been eliminated, so they're still in the Tournament, so they will rather obviously continue to have something to do eventually. They will have their fight and their moment later.

People brought this up with Frieza and then recently with Cabba. It's like people expect all the significant characters to be involved constantly. The series will get around to them when the story calls for it.