Jimeze and teleporting was a letdown, but maybe deliberately so

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Re: Jimeze and teleporting was a letdown, but maybe deliberately so

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:59 pm

I think that a more precise explanation of why teleporting wasn't effective against Frieza would be most welcome, (other than Plot/Hype armor).

For example, it wouldn't hurt for someone to comment on say, Frieza never bothering with ki sensing and instead possessing superior reflexes, making him react to the teleport as easily as a fly reacts to the swing of a human's fist (unlike Saiyans and humans who have mastered ki control and sensing, having that ki-sense scrambled by the teleport technique).

That's my headcanon, anyway.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:00 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:I think that a more precise explanation of why teleporting wasn't effective against Frieza would be most welcome, (other than Plot/Hype armor).

For example, it wouldn't hurt for someone to comment on say, Frieza never bothering with ki sensing and instead possessing superior reflexes, making him react to the teleport as easily as a fly reacts to the swing of a human's fist (unlike Saiyans and humans who have mastered ki control and sensing, having that ki-sense scrambled by the teleport technique).

Freeza in Super can sense ki.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:00 pm

In my opinion Instant Transmission is just that, Instant Transmission. I don't think it has anything to do with speed, I think that person literally vanishes down to the atoms and is transported instantaneously and appears at the desired location. The technique seems to be created for traveling purposes instead of being used for combat. To get Goku to Kami or Bulma or whoever that he needed to see ASAP. If you have someone like Freeza I doubt disappearing and reappearing is going to bothersome to him as he can now sense ki (going back to that close your eyes and fight by sensing energy thing) and at Freeza's level can probably pick up on the ki as soon as it manifests behind him. In other words Freeza probably senses ki instantly and strikes faster than what the Yardrat can after he pops up behind him. I think Instant Transmission was created to save Toriyama the pain of drawing Goku flying to some location panels. Gohan could have probably hit the Yardrat if he closed his eyes and relied on his senses rather than his vision. Not only that but he was in his base state right? Freeza observed his abilities he knew exactly was Jimeze was doing, but it could be used to catch someone by surprise if they think it can only be used in transportation and not combat or their senses aren't sharp enough to catch the opponent by their ki instantly.

In short I don't think Instant Transmission allows the user to actually move in feet by speed but rather he is transported body and all.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:17 am

HeroR wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:I think that a more precise explanation of why teleporting wasn't effective against Frieza would be most welcome, (other than Plot/Hype armor).

Freeza in Super can sense ki.
I have yet to see the movie-inspired F arc, but was this stated?

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:26 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
HeroR wrote:Freeza in Super can sense ki.
I have yet to see the movie-inspired F arc, but was this stated?
From the Fact Checker thread:
Minute: 9

Freeza: "Judging from the energy I'm sensing, it seems that I will be the victor, does it not?"
Goku: "I think it'll be a close match."
Freeza: "No, I am superior."

Significance: A major plot point on Namek was that Freeza was unable to sense energy without a scouter. It seems that in his training, he not only learned to sense energy, but godly energy as well. Quite an improvement. Some groups mistranslated this as Freeza telling Goku to sense his energy & feel how superior he is.
Some people dispute this, though. I don't remember their reasons except that I found them spurious. Something about how he's only sensing his own energy and judging based on that, I think.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:14 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:If you're faster than the guy using it and you know how it works, like Freeza said, it shouldn't give your opponent any advantage.
I just recalled, Goku had brought up his IT technique to Frieza when he was picking him up at Baba's base.

Now it appears Freeza was keeping his eye on Jimeze, who used teleporting a lot. Frieza is a fast learner, at least in DBS.

Nice going there, Goku. :eh:
Lionel wrote:Freeza had the luxury of being given a first person observation of Jimeze's ability and tactics. Under general circumstances, the Instant Transmission usually catches the opponent off guard; the issue is trying to apply the Instant Transmission to your style after the opponent has observed your fighting abilities. I think with the right measure of unpredictability and craftiness, it could still be to some effect. For example, teleporting underneath the stadium and coming up from below or apply a direct body contact strategy by teleporting directly next to the person and finding some means to remove them from the stadium.
:clap:
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:05 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:If you're faster than the guy using it and you know how it works, like Freeza said, it shouldn't give your opponent any advantage.
I just recalled, Goku had brought up his IT technique to Frieza when he was picking him up at Baba's base.

Now it appears Freeza was keeping his eye on Jimeze, who used teleporting a lot. Frieza is a fast learner, at least in DBS.

Nice going there, Goku. :eh:
Freeza already knew what it was and where it came from when he saw Goku use it in the RoF arc.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:20 pm

I want to know why Gohan was getting stomped all over the place by Jimeze. He's weak asf.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:25 am

this is instant, no speed involved

instant >>>> speed

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:26 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:I want to know why Gohan was getting stomped all over the place by Jimeze. He's weak asf.
because it's awful writing and scripting

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:01 pm

jplaya2023 wrote:
this is instant, no speed involved

instant >>>> speed
But you still have to spend time sensing the target's ki and performing the technique. And it's not like you can change the destination after you start. Against someone far faster than you, by the time you sense their ki and decide to teleport, they're already somewhere else. That's exactly what happened with Jimeze vs. Freeza.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:52 pm

jplaya2023 wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:I want to know why Gohan was getting stomped all over the place by Jimeze. He's weak asf.
Was there anything established about Jimeze strength before he fought Gohan beyond getting caught off guard by Caulifla?

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Its really all a question reaction time.

Speed and reaction in the DB universe is normally tied to power unless that persons body type is slowing them down. Telepotation is a sperate power that funtions universally for everyone reguardless of the power gap. Jimeze and Goku's versions are identical but heres the difference. Goku is far faster and has a fsater reaction time the Jimeze so while both can use the same ability, Goku can in theory perform the action at a faster rate.

Speed an reaction time are how you get round the skill to, if your oppoent can teleport but but you speed is o great they cannot even begin to track you, worse if your able to pick up on were they are as soon as they finished teleporting, their screwed. Because by the time they have looked were you were post teleportation or even noticed your behind them, your already punching them in the face.

Edit: If Jimeze were smart he would have teleported further away from Frieza to try and countrt Frieza's speed advantage as it would give him more time react and make it harder for Frieza to pick up on him.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:50 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
jplaya2023 wrote:
Was there anything established about Jimeze strength before he fought Gohan beyond getting caught off guard by Caulifla?
no as far as we know he's weak ( in terms of fighting someone like gohan)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:18 pm

jplaya2023 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
jplaya2023 wrote:
What evidence do you have of that before he took on Gohan?

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
jplaya2023 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Was there anything established about Jimeze strength before he fought Gohan beyond getting caught off guard by Caulifla?
vegeta

http://mangapark.me/manga/dragon-ball/s1/v28/c142/2

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:41 pm

jplaya2023 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
jplaya2023 wrote:
vegeta

http://mangapark.me/manga/dragon-ball/s1/v28/c142/2
The strength of the Yardrats from one universe is not parallel to the strength of the Yardrats in another universe. We already see with how strong Cabba, Caulifla and Kale are that even if there two of the same races in different universes, they don't operate in the same fashion when it comes to power.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 pm

You people put far more effort into the lore of this series than Toei and Toriyama does

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:37 am

Why can't there be exceptional Yardrats? After all, the typical human is weak, but then you have Krillin, Tenshinhan, etc.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147