How's the subs for the Blu Ray releases?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

How's the subs for the Blu Ray releases?

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:06 pm

Crunchyroll has been bugging me with all the "Tien"s, "Master" Roshis, "Special Beam Cannons", and etc. I grew up with and appreciate the dub and think it sounds great overall these days (aside from poor Magetta's dialogue) but when I'm watching the Japanese version I'd like accurate subtitles. I'm assuming Funimation's subs are pretty accurate when watching Japanese as per usual? If so I plan on picking the show up in its entirety someday

Ajay

Re: How's the subs for the Blu Ray releases?

Post by Ajay » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:40 pm

Yup, they're by longtime series translator Steve Simmons. They're about as good as his Kai translation; very accurate, though a little stiff, and the puns left unadapted.

Significantly better than the Toeilations, so no worries there. Enjoy~!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:11 pm

Ajay wrote:Yup, they're by longtime series translator Steve Simmons. They're about as good as his Kai translation; very accurate, though a little stiff, and the puns left unadapted.

What do you mean by unadapted? Was that tweet you posted a few months ago about Kaio an example of this? If so tbh I didn't quite understand what you were getting at.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Ajay wrote:Yup, they're by longtime series translator Steve Simmons. They're about as good as his Kai translation; very accurate, though a little stiff, and the puns left unadapted.

Ok great, thank you!