How would you rate the current arc now? (Episode 111)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

How would you rate the current arc now? (Episode 111)

Post by Master Xar » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:48 am

Curious for opinions on Kanzenshuu, especially after that special...

Bullza
Banned

Re: How would you rate the current arc now? (Episode 111)

Post by Bullza » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:00 am

It's been pretty good, as long as it keeps up as it has been lately it'll probably end up as my favourite arc in Super.

I like it before anyway but ever since some 104 it really picked up.

I'd give it perhaps an 8.5. My main complaint is really with just how many characters are getting eliminated by people from Universe 7. I'd rather it be spread out more.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:10 am

I agree with an 8.5. Above and beyond every other arc in Super IMO. The things that have brought it down are some weak fights, seeing U7 and U6 get every single elimination, and having built-up characters basically get one shotted off the ring.

But it's exciting, it's an interesting concept, it's fun having all these new characters, and hey finally a new transformation that isn't just a literal color palette swap, and it looks damn awesome. The writing is still iffy, but a lot better this arc than the others.

Congratulations Super, you've finally made a pretty consistently good arc. :clap:

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:24 am

It has certainly improved, and it has amazing potential.

Wasn't thrilled with how it began, but it's beginning to show some very interesting match-ups. And I'm beginning to believe the best has yet to come.

I just hope we won't see Jiren eliminating 12 U6-U7 fighters in ten seconds or something. That would suck, imo.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:34 am

I think overall it's been decent. I'm still waiting for a fight on the level of Goku's with Piccolo as what we've gotten so far has been pretty small compared to previous fights. We got 60+ new characters but none of them are interesting and the 2 Saiyan girls and u2's trio are the worst ever written in the franchise.

If I had to give it a numbered score it'd be a 6/10 which is lower than Champa's 7 and Black's 8.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:41 am

Right now a 7.5. I got to see what happens with Piccolo, 17/18, and Gohan before I make my final judgement.

I really wish Goku and Vegeta didn't hog most of the screentime. What they did with Tien was ridiculous, and Krillin should have lasted a lot longer as well. I'm also still bitter about Buu not being used.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:51 am

This arc's boring as hell pacing and structure, failure to establish a tone, terrible characterization for most of the main cast, poor antagonist and most importantly horrendous setting and lack of providing a feeling of a battle royale made me lose interest in the show. I don't follow it as a regular viewer anymore like I used to during the Trunks arc(not saying it was great, it was bad infact, but it wasn't boring). I only stick to the important events now that have good staff involved. That pretty much sums up my thoughts. It is boring for the most part. That is worse than being a bad arc.

Few positives though. 1) Ribrainne and Kale(shy) are entertaining characters. I wouldn't call them "well-written", but they are just way more fun than other characters who fail to leave any impression. Props to both of their respective seiyuus for doing a good job. I like both voices. 2) The show finally after so so long managed to reach an acceptable level of visual consistency. While the action is fairly rudimentary and nothing special outside of a few special moments, it isn't falling to pieces at least. So, well done DBS staff. :clap: It is a shame though that Nagamine and Nakamura were given such poor material to work with. :(
3) The TVSP was a highlight for the franchise cause of its impressive action and deserves mention. Good animators did good work. Tate and Oonishi delivered. Tate was the star and proved his haters wrong once again. Takahashi's part, while I don't find it as good as many others do probably cause it is just a simple rotation cut, his drawings were of the highest quality and give a nostalgic vibe which I appreciate. Overall, it was a satisfying spectacle.

It isn't over yet and given how slow this arc has been, it is very possible it might go on for another cour. But, I don't see my opinion changing much. From what I've heard, the setting has been updated and it looks even worse now so again I can't really be bothered to care much for this so called battle royale that just fails to be a battle royale most of the time cause of the setting.

So, my rating would be 4/10. I guess.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:33 am

When this arc first started, I thought it would be the arc to fix my problems with Super, the main one being relevancy for the "lesser" characters who just happen to be some of my favorites. Sadly only Roshi has had a good showing.

Besides that, the writing and choreography is for the most part more disjointed and lame than it's ever been which is a huge accomplishment in failure. They also happened to make a majority of the universes have weak as fuck fighters, making for boring fights and makes the universe feel small. After all, more universes was the perfect chance to introduce loads of strong fighters and expand the DB universe as a whole, but it still feels as small as ever since most universes are simply irrelevant fodder. Also, unless they all get revived in the end they're all gonna be gone anyway. It just feels like such a waste and for what? A sub-par tournament where Goku and Vegeta are the only ones who matter AGAIN?

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:46 am

The quality of the episodes since the tournament started have been such a line graph it makes it hard to gauge the arc as a whole. In fact, from about 105 onward it almost feels like we've been zig-zagging between good and bad. If you count the special as one episode, it's been good, bad, good, bad, REALLY good, kinda bad.

I'd probably give it a 7.5 out of ten so far. While I may notice flaws week to week, it's still got me hooked in a way previous Super arcs haven't.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:49 am

The anime is bad, unwatchable at worst and meh at best..
As for the special, I do not like Tate's work and it left a bitter taste in my mouth where his odd art was apparent, some might like it, I do not..
All things considered it averages to 5/10..

The manga is the medium I truly follow and it's every bit as amazing as I want Dragonball to be..!
Rating 10/10
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:06 am

Ki Breaker wrote:The manga is the medium I truly follow and it's every bit as amazing as I want Dragonball to be..!
Rating 10/10
Same here, to me Super is the manga and movies and what I've always thought DB would be had it continued post Buu.

If these last 3 chapters are anything to go by then it looks like it'll take care of what the anime did wrong, first being the lackluster fights. I also hope things are more organized as the anime seems to be all over the place.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:15 am

sintzu wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:The manga is the medium I truly follow and it's every bit as amazing as I want Dragonball to be..!
Rating 10/10
Same here, to me Super is the manga and movies and what I've always thought DB would be had it continued post Buu.

If these last 3 chapters are anything to go by then it looks like it'll take care of what the anime did wrong, first being the lackluster fights. I also hope things are more organized as the anime seems to be all over the place.

Unless this arc in the manga is going to go on for years then I doubt the majority of fights will be entertaining and they will be very quick.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:41 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Unless this arc in the manga is going to go on for years then I doubt the majority of fights will be entertaining and they will be very quick.
There's no way we're going to see everyone fight so the majority of fights will take place off screen while the main ones will get the attension. At the end of Goku's fight with the 3 wolves for example, we can get something along the lines of "3 from u9 are out, alongside 5 from u3".

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:41 am

This arc so far?......Meh, 5 out of 10.

It has it's moments but not nearly enough to even out the bads in it.

The goods are;
1) Roshi
2) Freeza
3) 17
And yeah....that's about it.

The bads are:
1)Almost all of the secondary cast with the exception of Freeza, 17 and Roshi,
2) Poor character designs
3) Bad characterisation
3) Goku is god again
$) Piccolo is babysitter again.
6) Gohan is still useless again
7) Not being a battle royale the way I hoped it would be.
8 ) Zeno(s) sucks!

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:43 am

Ki Breaker wrote:The anime is bad, unwatchable at worst and meh at best..
As for the special, I do not like Tate's work and it left a bitter taste in my mouth where his odd art was apparent, some might like it, I do not..
All things considered it averages to 5/10..

The manga is the medium I truly follow and it's every bit as amazing as I want Dragonball to be..!
Rating 10/10
You took the words right out of my mouth, agree'd with almost everything, mostly the special, I was happy with 109 but when 110 kicked in and Tate's work popped out everything went south (thank God a good BGM kicked in to save most of it), luckily the last part stuck out more thanks to Yuya's and Shida's amazing work, but then again if Yuya and Tate's role were reversed it would have been too perfect. I can only hope Yuya,Shida or Karasawa does some crazy work on Goku V Jiren II and get Tate out of there.

But the anime as a whole for me is quite fine, its not that bad for me at least, I liked how they showed Goku as a bad guy but I didnt like how they soon threw that away, I'm glad with what Roshi got as well so theres that.
Anime would be a 6/10 for me while the manga's an 11/10, the manga simply gets better overtime and feels more natural, the only thing that the manga did that I didnt like was with Black's persona, anime handled him better, but other than that I'm manga all the damn way! I hope it gets an adaptation in the near future, his MSSJB Goku V Merged Zamasu was sick af.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:46 am

The arc as presented through episodes 109-111, or the arc as existed before that?

Because the former is something I quite like, that feels like it delivers on the Boo-arc-esque mix of character drama, zany humor, and absolutely dire tension in a way that's totally appropriate, and I think the latter kind of sucks.

This is the opposite, of, say GT, where I apparently cut against fandom grain and think that its somewhat middling concepts were saved by atmosphere and presentation; the concept here should make for something fantastic, but in execution it's been so lethargic and insincerely written; until the last few weeks, it wasn't really selling itself on either style or scripting.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:07 am

It's probably the best arc in Super, at least to me. It's slightly above the Future Trunks arc. It does have some pretty big stinkers here and there (Space Poachers, Buu is asleep AGAIN, Tenshinhan, Girl Broly, and that stupid sniper episode), but overall it's been really consistent with some great moments.

I love the Zen Exhibition matches, Goku and Kuririn sparring on the rooftop, 17's cool reintroducion, Freeza's glorious return that puts 'F' to shame, the ToP setting, and so on. There's a lot that I like in this arc, and honestly the tension has risen now that Jiren has taken out Hit and Goku. And based on the spoilers I can't say I'm too excited for the next 2 or 3 episodes following the Cabba and Vegeta one, but I'm now genuinely curious as to how this arc is going to end. What seemed obvious before does not feel so obvious now after the past 3 episodes, and I love that.

If I were to throw in a random rating, I'd give it a 7.5 or 8 out of 10.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:38 am

ToP: 8.5/10

it introduced two characters that became my favorite of the entire franchise: Kale and Caulifla, we've got Ultra Instinct Goku, the MAJESTIC return of Freeza [not like Return of F bs] and #17, the tournament is not only focused on power, but also on techniques, i'm pretty satisfied. What i don't like too much is the OST. I miss Black's arc OST and preview song, but it's cool when Goku is going SSB it still plays the "birth of god" ost.

For Trunks arc i gave 8.8/10

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:04 am

The animation in the double-episode special and a good collection of scattered character moments are its highlights, but the overarching plot is still boring. There's still too many characters and the setting's really dull to look at. There's a handful of arc-specific characters that I like, but the majority of them I'm indifferent to. I'm used to the filter now since it's been so long since we've had it. I really like UI form Goku; he's very close to tying with ssjg Goku in terms of favorite forms. I'm not as upset at this arc as I was earlier in its story, but I think that's because we're finally on break from all the VegeBul stuff from earlier in the year and even though I still think Vegeta isn't as cohesively written this arc as he was in previous arcs, but I've given up on getting upset since there's nothing I can do about it. I still think Jiren's the most boring antagonist I've ever seen in Super so far, but at least Hit's evolved in personality somewhat. Neutral on the Uni 6 saiyan trio; I like Caulifla the most of the 3 but I think that's only because I like the delinquent character trope in anime. All of Toei's nods to their Precure series and Sailor Moon through the Fireballs is fun, but I feel mileage may vary depending on how familiar with those two franchises viewers are (Ribrianne fights like a precure, but her dialogue is pure 90's sailor senshi). I worry that the ending I've been seeing coming a mile away will still be the way this arc ends (the super db's are used to wish everyone back, no harm no foul).

It looks better than most of the Goku Black arc, but I had so much more fun watching both the Goku Black and Champa arcs than I have the ToP so far. I hope ToP has a better ending than the Goku Black arc had though; that Omni ending left such a bad taste in my mouth on an otherwise fun mystery story.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:35 am

I wish they wouldn't get rid of Maji Kayo from U3 so quickly. He was just the right character this tournament needed (Kid Buu type) and he got sacked to hype up Jiren.

It would be fun if he was going all over the place fighting everyone a bit, winning a few before Jiren inevitably finishes him.

That said, Shantsa of U4 is still in. If they don't waste this great character design and have him do something cool, this arc may get a 10/10 from me.