DB Super Character arcs and Characterization thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

DB Super Character arcs and Characterization thread

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:48 am

This thread has been created for people to discuss and debate how Super handles characterization and character arcs.

Do people believe that Vegeta has actually regressed as a character in Super, is he poorly characterized, or is he just fine?

Is Goku characterized differently in Super than in previous installments?

Has Gohan been repeating the same character arcs in Super?

Do you believe that any of the characters from other universes have compelling characterization?

Do you think Super is doing a bad job with its characterization?

Do you feel that character arcs in the show have been poorly handled or executed?

Also feel free to discuss characterization as episodes came out and if you believe that it was handled well or poorly, you could even discuss how you believe different script writers handle characterization.

Discuss all those juicy character related questions and more in this thread.
Last edited by JazzMazz on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

MaskedRider
Banned

Re: DB Super Character arcs and Characterization thread

Post by MaskedRider » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:28 am

JazzMazz wrote:Do people believe that Vegeta has actually regressed as a character in Super, is he poorly characterized, or is he just fine?
I thought hes been stagnant. For me that doesn't really mean its bad or good, of course he has grown considering his little nods toward Goku being a step further than him, him mentoring Cabba and being a father - as much as a Saiyan can - to Future Trunks while being a husband - as much as a Saiyan can - to Bulma.
JazzMazz wrote:Is Goku characterized differently in Super than in previous installments?
I don't think so, I think its the way he chooses to express himself that has changed and its not like its being ignored which is the weird part. Hes been called out by other characters for how he behaved or what he said such as about chomping down an endless supply of senzu beans to become immortal and Bulma calling him out for it. Other than that its the same Goku to me who pushes himself and gets excited about the difficulty of a fight, at least from what I'm seeing from my recent re-reading of DB / Z and re-watch of GT.
JazzMazz wrote:Has Gohan been repeating the same character arcs in Super?
Gohan is about that he said she said bs. I don't know if he has been training or not because they show him training a bit and then hes not but then it turns out he was! but then it turned out not really :/
JazzMazz wrote:Do you believe that any of the characters from other universes have compelling characterization?
I like Cabba. Hes an innocent boy scout and that is funny but also makes me want to see him break from that. I like Ribrianne's love shtick, Dyspo's cockiness and Maji Kyo's willing to be brutal.
JazzMazz wrote:Do you think Super is doing a bad job with its characterization?
I don't mind it but I can see why it would be considered done poorly.
JazzMazz wrote:Do you feel that character arcs in the show have been poorly handled or executed?
I could be forgetting some, its 3 AM but what comes to mind the most is Tenshinhan.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:30 am

Vegeta has been handled excellently in the series, up to a point. Up until very recently -like since arriving in the World of Void in episode 96- he's shown off his growth through interactions with the likes of Bulma, Future Trunks, Cabba and even Goku. However, since the Tournament of Power began it feels like a switch has been flipped and he's gone back to being a cocky pseudo-badass only looking out for number one. This has made me retroactively leery of all the great moments up to then.

Like, was his being uncomfortable with spending three years in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, tough but fair mentoring of Cabba and Future Trunks and attentiveness to Bulma during her pregnancy actually a sign of character development that has been temporarily pushed to the background while he's fighting in the tournament? Or was that all just giving the illusion of development to make it look like he's improved, but can switch back to the default marketable Vegeta at a moments notice? Because you know how it goes, Super gives Vegeta a moment of being a good husband, fans say "oh wow, Vegeta's got the best development, he's a way better father than Goku," but then go right back to cheering for "IMMA BEAT KAKAROT" in the ToP without considering that those two personalities are kind of...contradictory. I don't know. Episode 107 and 112 gave me hope, but they could just be the exception that proves the rule.

As for Goku, I like what they've done with him in Super, barring certain issues. He's back to being the main focus after Z couldn't make up it's mind and his actions drive most of the plot. The two big missteps they've made with him are firstly overusing the plot device of him being an idiot in the Future Trunks arc to cause problems (oh, he forgot the seal, etc) and second is dodging responsibility for his role in the Tournament of Power. The first half of that arc was so interesting because it looked like they were finally going to deconstruct his personality and trigger some actual character development. Blatantly defying Beerus to talk to Zeno, Bergamo and Toppo declaring vendettas against him, bringing Freeza in to the fold against all sense. These are the sort of things that lead to a fall, but so far everything's been going swimmingly. Bergamo and Toppo's threats have been rendered empty thanks to them suffering humiliating losses early on. Freeza has been nothing but beneficial to the Universe 7 team, even if it's clear he has plans brewing for after. Goku's loss to Jiren should have been the moment it all goes wrong and he has to start learning, but he hasn't yet. He's just trying to psyche himself up for round two and Jiren is such a wanker he'll let him get away with it. The beginning of the arc made me think they were doing something interesting with Goku, but the further we get into the tournament, the more I feel like that just isn't going to happen. Hey, at least Ultra Instinct is cool.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:38 am

The problem with characters like Goku, Gohan, and Vegeta is they largely had their character arcs previously in Dragon Ball and Z.

It’s not like they can’t go anywhere from here. Well maybe not Goku besides getting stronger I think Goku will always be Goku.

* I mean in Super Gohan did come to the realization that he wants to train not because he wants to be a fighter like his dad but because he loves & wants to protect his family.

* Vegeta has had a lot of great character moments that never would have been possibly previously: The stuff with Cabba, Asking to train with Whis, Refusing to train or fight until his daughter is born. Vegeta’s characterization in Super is a direct result of the end of Z & what a “good” Vegeta would become. He still doesn’t like anyone to think he’s soft though but well it is obvious he has changed from how he was in Z.

As for the new characters well no one is as 3 dimensional yet as the above 3 characters. In the case of Goku and Gohan you watch them grow up, gain friends and family. In the case of Vegeta you watch him start out as a villain and gradually become one of the good guys and also gain a family. In the course of the series we have also seen them grown stronger.,

No character in Super really has that depth and development yet. That doesn’t mean they aren’t interesting characters and at least some are two dimensional and maybe eventually they will become more developed but well they aren’t there yet.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:46 am

he's a way better father than Goku," but then go right back to cheering for "IMMA BEAT KAKAROT" in the ToP without considering that those two personalities are kind of...contradictory. I do

I don’t actually think Vegeta is a better father than Goku. Neither will get a father of the year award lol.

But if you are saying Vegeta caring about his family are contradictory to wanting to surpass Goku. Than no they are not. And Vegeta has said he was going to surpass Goku throughout Super it has not started in the TOP. Nor has Vegeta sometimes being a bit arrogant started in the TOP. I don’t always like every moment of the series of how Vegeta is written. So of course the writers can get him wrong at times. But I think this is true for every character. Especially when you have multiple writers

But I don’t really see how Vegeta has regressed in the Super or suddenly in the TOP.

Edit: Also episode 107 and 112 of the TOP actually focus on Vegeta. So those are the episodes where you are going to see more sides of Vegeta’s personality and see yes he does still definitely care. In other episodes Vegeta just has a quick scene here and there of him fighting and in those scenes his arrogant side may come out more.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:22 am

Though Caulifla had some decent character moments, the rest of the main casts characterization wasn't handled particularly well.

They made a big dramatic moment about Kale finally being on equal grounds as Caulifla as a fighter and accepting there partnership, but she acts kind of childish throughout the episode as is evidenced in really stupid lines like "Why did you dodges sis' attack!?", um, you do know his your opponent right?

Caulifla on the other hand was decently done, with a lot more solemn character moments in this episode, espicially springing from her uselessness against Godku, and her solemn resolution to use the Potara.

Freeza's characterization in relation to the Universe 6 Saiyans was fine but his interactions were weird since his made it expressly clear that he needs Goku to defeat Jiren for him. So why are they trying to make it appear that his going to betray Goku and even wishes for Goku to lose, I think it would have been far more in-character to offer his assistance to Goku(in a condescending manner) when he sees him on the ropes. That would be a good continuation of their interaction back in 111.

Vegeta is characterized really dumbly as well. You know Goku is stronger than you at this point. Why are you pretending that isn't the case?

Goku's characterization was also completely fine and he did have some solemn character moments, like when he blasted the U6 Saiyans off the ring.

Overall, some of the characterization for Caulifla and Goku was decent enough, but Freeza's, Vegeta's and Kale's characterization was more miss than hit for me.

What do people feel about the characterization this episode?

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:28 pm

JazzMazz wrote:#114

Though Caulifla had some decent character moments, the rest of the main casts characterization wasn't handled particularly well.

They made a big dramatic moment about Kale finally being on equal grounds as Caulifla as a fighter and accepting there partnership, but she acts kind of childish throughout the episode as is evidenced in really stupid lines like "Why did you dodges sis' attack!?", um, you do know his your opponent right?

Caulifla on the other hand was decently done, with a lot more solemn character moments in this episode, espicially springing from her uselessness against Godku, and her solemn resolution to use the Potara.

Freeza's characterization in relation to the Universe 6 Saiyans was fine but his interactions were weird since his made it expressly clear that he needs Goku to defeat Jiren for him. So why are they trying to make it appear that his going to betray Goku and even wishes for Goku to lose, I think it would have been far more in-character to offer his assistance to Goku(in a condescending manner) when he sees him on the ropes. That would be a good continuation of their interaction back in 111.

Vegeta is characterized really dumbly as well. You know Goku is stronger than you at this point. Why are you pretending that isn't the case?

Goku's characterization was also completely fine and he did have some solemn character moments, like when he blasted the U6 Saiyans off the ring.

Overall, some of the characterization for Caulifla and Goku was decent enough, but Freeza's, Vegeta's and Kale's characterization was more miss than hit for me.

What do people feel about the characterization this episode?
You pretty much nailed it there, Freeza and Vegeta were pretty weird today, specially Freeza given the fact that he was the one that gave Goku his energy. Even thought i think that when his hand was about to slip, he would bertray Goku by attacking the girls when he asked him not to.

Vegeta's characterization was annoying, i mean, we finally got a reason for why did he want to be number one in the ToP so much and then we get another issue. You could argue that he was comparing himself to the saiyan girls and not Goku, but even then it's stupid because when Kale transformed for the first time, he knew shit was going down, and even told Kakarot to be careful. One would think that after not caring about Goku gaining Ultra instinct (not caring in the sense of not getting mad or jealous ) he would be able to admit in front of Toppo that he was not the strongest saiyan. Furthermore, i was dissapointed with his line because i expected the typical "Never underestimate the saiyan race " like him being proud of Kale for reaching that level of power.

About Kale, well i like how she's more confident now, yeah, she was a bit annoying with her childish behaviour at points But hey at least Broly is 100% gone now.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:49 pm

JazzMazz wrote:Do people believe that Vegeta has actually regressed as a character in Super, is he poorly characterized, or is he just fine?
It's definitely not the direction they should have taken with Vegeta IMO. GT Vegeta was a much more logical evolution of the character following how Vegeta acted at the end of the Buu saga and EoZ. That being said, Vegeta's character has been handled very well for most of Super, the key exception being this arc where he's (at times) reached Cell Saga levels of delusion. The good Vegeta development can be found in his parenting to Bra and his wish to revive Cabba and U6 at the end of the tournament, but his delusion can obviously be seen in all these "I AM VEGETA SAMA I AM THE GREATEST VEGETABLE THAT EVER LIVED, JIREN WILL BE NO MATCH FOR ME." statements he makes

JazzMazz wrote:Is Goku characterized differently in Super than in previous installments?
Yes, he's stupider. People like to put up the roundabout defense of "You're too used to the dub!" as a response to this criticism every single time it comes up, even to people who don't watch the dub or care for the dub. No one is saying that Goku was ever all that smart, but in Super he's just way goofier and too oversimplified. Not to mention they have him saying/doing dumb things like him not knowing what kissing is, and him forgetting the mafuba jar seal, as well as if I remember correctly the mafuba jar itself inside of the time machine.
No, I don't think so. He's been completely useless for all of Super and has been reduced to barely even a side character because of how often he shows up, which is to say almost never. Completely absent from the U6 arc due to some conference call or something, and shows up like a grand total of two times in the FT arc.

Gohan has been handled horribly the entire time, and so far while he's been handled a lot better in this arc, the respect for the character is still not really there. Maybe he'll do something later though, we'll see.

JazzMazz wrote:Do you believe that any of the characters from other universes have compelling characterization?
Caulifla, Kale, and Hit have interesting and compelling characterization to me. Despite not knowing anything about their history or their past or backstory or whatever, we've already gotten a lot from Caulifla and Kale just based on how they interact with each other and their personalities. Hit has had really good characterization this arc, going from a cold-blooded assassin who only works on his own to saving his teammates and even sacrificing himself in an attempt to make sure U6 survives.
For the main/older cast, yes. Aside from Vegeta I don't feel like any other character has evolved. They've either regressed and then progressed to where they were before, make absolutely no progress at all, or just flat out regress in the case of Goku.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:58 pm

As with most questions regarding Super's characterization, it depends on the writer. Calling himself "ore-sama/Vegeta-sama" is very reminiscent of Cell arc Vegeta, as well as not giving Ki to the Genkidama, and so on and so forth. But then, there are other things such as mentoring Cabba and showing respect for Roshi which feels like a natural progression of the character.
Yes, he's much more naive and his fighting addiction has been bumped to 11. This wouldn't be such a bad thing if they did anything interesting with these traits, but they don't.
Lose power due to lack of training -> lose against new opponent -> lament over the fact that he can't protect his family -> start training again (usually with Piccolo) -> recover some/all of his strength back -> get some cool victories and moments -> lose power again due to lack of training.

Rinse and repeat, this has been happening ever since the Boo arc.
Goku Black (and present Zamasu/future Zamasu/Merged Zamasu by extension, they're all facets of the same character). Hit too. That's about it, I guess.
I actually like what they did with future Trunks (power-ups aside), #17 and Freeza. I'd even say they're better characters now than they were in the original series. But everyone else has taken a turn for the worse. Main cast is worse, returning characters are improved.
JazzMazz wrote:Do you feel that character arcs in the show have been poorly handled or executed?
Yes, they always forget their lesson and make the same mistakes.
JazzMazz wrote:Also feel free to discuss characterization as episodes came out and if you believe that it was handled well or poorly, you could even discuss how you believe different script writers handle characterization.
Kale is the worst character of all time.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:00 pm

As I said in another thread this episode was written by the same writer who also wrote that Vegeta wouldn’t give his energy to Goku. I am beginning to think not my favorite Vegeta writer.

It is also hard to judge characterization though when a character is only there for two brief scenes. Like I notice that people say Vegeta was better written in 112 but isn’t that obvious that is an entire episode focused on Vegeta where we can see the entire facet of his personality and what is underneath his arrogant facade.

I just get really annoyed whenever Vegeta is a bit arrogant that certain fans automatically yell Cell!Vegeta as though arrogance was Vegeta’s worse fault. It’s just meaningless words after all. If he ends up biting off more than he can chew than he will lose its as simple as that. But just words aren’t going to affect any outcomes.

But yeah ultimately I agree I wish the writers would tone down the arrogance just a bit. If only so every week I don’t have to say no this is not the same as Cell! Vegeta.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Kale and Ribrainne aside, all the new characters from the other universes can burn for all I care. Frost was interesting for that one episode, but they killed him off so ...

Gokuu is awful for reasons already mentioned. I await the day when this guy will learn his lesson. But, I think that may never come. He is as static as a protagonist can possibly get. Shitty jokes(never kissed) don't help either. Staring at a rock is more interesting than Gohan. I never liked the character to begin with so whatever.

Finally Vegeta. If his thing with Cabba goes anywhere, that could be interesting, but I have zero faith in DBS. He was enjoyable during his relaxed and laid back self during the recruitment stuff. Family Vegeta is tolerable. But, the moment he reverts back to being rival Vegeta he becomes insufferable.

And, the rest of cast are well nothing. Beers also lost all his charm when he became a food gag joker.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Tbh, Goku's probably more interesting now than he's been in a long time imo. I don't think there's too much wrong with his character this saga that you could apply to others, which at that point stops being a character problem and becomes more of a writing problem.

Vegeta's development has been good most of Super, but I find that they've been making him so boring imo. Don't like how they have him say he's Vegeta sama either.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Most of U7 has no characterisation. Piccolo, Krillin and Tien are exactly the same as they were in DBZ. 17 and 18 are getting spotlight as fighters again but that's it.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:24 pm

precita wrote:Most of U7 has no characterisation. Piccolo, Krillin and Tien are exactly the same as they were in DBZ. 17 and 18 are getting spotlight as fighters again but that's it.
I disagree that Kuririn has remained the same, since his actually gone through a character arc in Super showing him getting back into shape.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:06 pm

He hasn't regressed, but his character seems the most reliant on the writer of a given episode. Some of Super's writers seem to be fixated on the "I'm Vegeta, the strongest Saiyan" characteristic whereas others are more open to showing the more noble side to his character. As an example, Toshio did a good job with his character in relation to Roshi for episode 107. Overall, it's sort of two steps forward, one step back, but that could be remedied with a centralized writer for the show.
Is Goku characterized differently in Super than in previous installments?
In some ways yes, in others no. For most of Super, he wasn't that far off of his Buu arc iteration; a little more absentminded, perhaps, but fairly similar. This most recent arc he definitely feels different, though. While Goku loves fighting, he has always loved his family and placed their well-being as one of his greatest concerns. This tournament, though, he (and many others) seem to have little to no regard for this fact. He appears to care more about having good fights this tournament than actually ensuring the safety of his universe. It's just a bit too out-of-character.
Has Gohan been repeating the same character arcs in Super?
Sort of? He's had such a minor role up to this point, it's difficult to say if he's even had a character arc. This most recent arc of his does seems to be suspiciously similar to his arc in the Cell saga, though.
Do you believe that any of the characters from other universes have compelling characterization?
Yes, but there's not enough of them to make the current arc compelling, if that makes sense. Frost had great characterization, but his role ended when it felt like we were still in the middle of his arc. The Pride Troopers seemed interesting, but most of them were wiped out before they had any chance to leave a real impression. Cabba was sort of compelling with his student/teacher gig with Vegeta, but he also got taken out quickly. Hit had two great showings but a bad ending to his role in this tournament. There's obviously a lot of people that like Caulifla and Kale, so we'll have to see how they end up by the end of this arc. Zamasu from the previous arc also had compelling characterization.
Do you think Super is doing a bad job with its characterization?
In this current arc, yes. Super went for quantity over quality with this tournament. I'd be surprised if most of us could remember even half of the combatants by the end of the arc. Hell, I can't even remember most of the names of Universe 9's fighters already. It has too little focus and too many characters. For every Frost, there's five characters whose names and faces are a blur.
Do you feel that character arcs in the show have been poorly handled or executed?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It's really a case-by-case basis on this one, so discussing each one would be a little too time-consuming. Sometimes they get it right with characters like Roshi, other times they completely fail at handling a character like with Tien.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:09 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Kale and Ribrainne aside, all the new characters from the other universes can burn for all I care. Frost was interesting for that one episode, but they killed him off so ...

Gokuu is awful for reasons already mentioned. I await the day when this guy will learn his lesson. But, I think that may never come. He is as static as a protagonist can possibly get. Shitty jokes(never kissed) don't help either. Staring at a rock is more interesting than Gohan. I never liked the character to begin with so whatever.

Finally Vegeta. If his thing with Cabba goes anywhere, that could be interesting, but I have zero faith in DBS. He was enjoyable during his relaxed and laid back self during the recruitment stuff. Family Vegeta is tolerable. But, the moment he reverts back to being rival Vegeta he becomes insufferable.

And, the rest of cast are well nothing. Beers also lost all his charm when he became a food gag joker.
What about Beerus interested you before?
And what to you makes a good character overall?

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:37 pm

Depends on who writes him. In some episodes, he seems more characterized based on his post-Majin self of the Buu saga, like when he interacted with Roshi showing respect and when he encouraged Cabba to fight relentlessly. Unfortunately, in some other episodes he acts more like his Cell saga self, putting himself on a pedestal while coming off as standoffish.
He appears to have a harder time catching on to what happens around him, even to what is obvious, and is more of a frequent source of gags than in Z. This was reverted in the ToP, now acting closer to his Z self.
It seems to have been a thing since later Z. At this point, it is like a runnigng gag. I will call this the "Ash Ketchum Syndrome".
Zamasu in all his forms and Hit at most. A few characters in the ToP have their own personalities, but the rest have generic fighter personality or are background noise.
Goku had it bad until the ToP started, now it's Vegeta's turn to be so. Gohan and Krillin both swing back and forth. The rest are the same but remain not focused on.
Hit, while not the most colorful rainbow, has been handled well, going from a loner assassin that only exists to get bounties to a borderline team leader. Zamasu was done fine but could have given more expansion on his hatred towards mortals, such as when did he begin to doubt their existence. Krillin and Gohan were given character arcs in the F retelling but amounted to nothing considering they wouldn't get to doing anything about it until their second arcs before the ToP recruitment started.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:31 am

Miracles wrote: What about Beerus interested you before?
Beers fooled around before, but there was a level of superiority in his character that everyone respected and kind of feared. Yamadera's performance itself gave that feeling and that made him so good. That has vanished totally. Part of it is cause the god hierarchy(another big problem) has expanded so much that Beers is just another Hakaishin now, and not that important anymore. But, man I don't like seeing him be a part of repetitive food gags or yelling at people for the smallest of things. It was okay for a while, but it is beyond boring now.

As for what a good character is to me, well it depends on the character. However, generally speaking I like characters who progress with the story which is what I guess most fans do. That makes for compelling characterization. But, I also like characters who are mindless entertainment or just fun to watch.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:43 pm

Is a mixed bag,he is not the same guy from the cell saga,it is annoying how he refer himself as vegeta sama other than that he is ok.
    Not really,he was at the exhibition acting fishy,now it look like he is back doing the same thing

Gohan has been like this in z
      Hit aside,no kale and caulifla are fun but there not compelling characters in my POV,hit is the only one because he actually feel like a character that have changed without having a flashy personality.The problem with the Top is that it lack focus and constanly waste character making it hard to care for the other universe,it doesn't help most of them are jerks or weaklings.Black,zamas and gowasu are also good characters.

At time when they ruined characters like making #18 a jerk as well krillin or buu/tien being really useless or the main cast repeating the same mistake.Freeza,#17 and ft trunks are good character,they are handled pretty well.
        Gohan and krillin character arc in f have been handled badly,with that aside i liked ft trunks and hit character arc
        Mostly active on discord.

Miracles
        I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
        Miracles wrote: What about Beerus interested you before?
        Beers fooled around before, but there was a level of superiority in his character that everyone respected and kind of feared. Yamadera's performance itself gave that feeling and that made him so good. That has vanished totally. Part of it is cause the god hierarchy(another big problem) has expanded so much that Beers is just another Hakaishin now, and not that important anymore. But, man I don't like seeing him be a part of repetitive food gags or yelling at people for the smallest of things. It was okay for a while, but it is beyond boring now.

As for what a good character is to me, well it depends on the character. However, generally speaking I like characters who progress with the story which is what I guess most fans do. That makes for compelling characterization. But, I also like characters who are mindless entertainment or just fun to watch.
        Who would be mindless entertainment or fun to watch to you?
        For example I like Madara. I think he is the best character in Naruto. I also liked Aizen from Bleach the best and Pain from Naruto.