Worst possible episode you've seen in Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Worst possible episode you've seen in Super?

Post by Nero<>Akira » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:10 am

to say the arale episode was bad is just...... wrong lol that episode was awesome and hilarious. it's a downtime episode and it utilized the Dr. Slump characters pretty well.

Anyway, worst episodes are in the F arc once Freeza lands up until the end excluding the training scenes. They could have made it so much better. I just do not for the life of me know how they could have fucked it up.

Didn't have an issue with the copy Vegeta arc. Thought it was very entertaining, interesting, and fun. Though looking back on it, I do think they should have focused more on Goten, Trunks, & Jaco. Hopefully they do another mini arc with them. Think all of them together have good potential.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:42 am

Nero<>Akira wrote: Didn't have an issue with the copy Vegeta arc. Thought it was very entertaining, interesting, and fun. Though looking back on it, I do think they should have focused more on Goten, Trunks, & Jaco. Hopefully they do another mini arc with them. Think all of them together have good potential.
Well that's kinda the biggest issue with it for me. Goku being shoehorned into episodes he doesn't belong in even in filler. Gotenks appears, which is exciting, but than he does nothing. Not only is he completely trashed in the fight, but he doesn't even use a single one of his interesting and unique moves. Not even a single kamikaze ghost or galactic donut.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Vados_chan wrote:Episode 109 and 110
110 was definitely one of the best episodes in Super, if not the best.

109 however though can be considered one of the worst. They hyped a "One Hour Special" for a month at least, and then 109, half of the hour, is a complete waste. Because of this it doesn't even feel like an hour special.. Yeah we're shown how overpowered Jiren is against SSB for a brief moment at the very end, but other than that absolutely nothing happened. It feels like a filler episode followed by one of the best episodes in Dragon Ball, but to me not at all like an hour special. I would give 110 a 10/10, but 109 is like a 3/10 considering it was supposed to be part of an hour special. Android 17 facerolling Ribrianne's universe was more exciting.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:44 pm

The premise and execution of Episode 87, the one with the interstellar poachers, is the only one that bothered me enough to think it not worth the time.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:08 am

Simere wrote:The premise and execution of Episode 87, the one with the interstellar poachers, is the only one that bothered me enough to think it not worth the time.
Yeah, that episode was pretty boring. The only really redeemable thing about it was Goku and 17's ending dialogue after the fiasco. I though that was some nice introspection into the characters.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:52 pm

Too many to name, there's a reason people dislike Super. It lacks consistency
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:29 am

I don't know about the worst but the most disappointing thing to me was just the Frieza fight in general in the RoF arc. Bad animation, choreography, art, pacing, but it did have some good dialog at least in the english dub, I liked how Frieza kept calling Goku "god monkey".

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:30 am

The only one I'd call bad in the sense that I have no desire to ever rewatch it is the second half of the 17 two-parter with the space poachers. Boring premise coming on the heels of the excellent first part and just a chore to watch.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:25 am

You do know people are going to disagree with you on that one right?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:33 am

keyz05 wrote:For this topic, I'm going for the final episode of Ressurection F's retelling saga. It was so bland, cringeworthy, and downright anti-climatic to say the least. Because of some character design errors, lazy writing, and plotholes that other DB YouTubers that I agree on.

Which episode(s) do you think is the worst possible one of all time in your opinion?
Think I'm gonna have to say the infamous episode 5.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:54 pm

I think these are terrible eps, but I wouldn't say the worst. They are bad tho, I agree, from Toshio having Goku use a Genki Dama on someone who is good when he obviously knows its useless, to Ultra Instinct's reason for being a form, to the nonsensical Genki Dama/ki replenisher "explanation", to Jiren vs UI Goku being only 3 min in a 48 min TV special, just a terrible batch of eps.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:09 pm

The majority of the Resurrection F arc and the half of the SSJG v. Beerus fight are probably the strong contenders of Super at it's utmost worst and tediousness.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:51 pm

SaiyanZ wrote:
I think these are terrible eps, but I wouldn't say the worst. They are bad tho, I agree, from Toshio having Goku use a Genki Dama on someone who is good when he obviously knows its useless, to Ultra Instinct's reason for being a form, to the nonsensical Genki Dama/ki replenisher "explanation", to Jiren vs UI Goku being only 3 min in a 48 min TV special, just a terrible batch of eps.
Yamaguchi wrote episode 109.

Akira Kushida song pretty much carried the TV Special.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:59 pm

perucho1990 wrote: Yamaguchi wrote episode 109.

Akira Kushida song pretty much carried the TV Special.
Oh wow, he did. My mistake, I think early leaks had it as Toshio which is why I thought it was.

I didn't even like the insert song either lol, thought it was totally inappropriate, maybe if it was instrumental only and no lyrics I might have more positive things to say about it.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:49 pm

Episode 119. I was expecting more from the U4, and the episode felt rushed. Episode 120 and 118 are close in worst [Gohan had more screentime than i can tolerate and the writers still makes Gohan look like a weakling]

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:12 pm

The re-cap episode.
The most recent one that I thought was pretty bad was probaly the space aliens pochers vs Goku/17. It was just nonsense, and 17 is one of my favorite characters in the entire series. Good thing that was the only dumb moment he had throughout this arc. yet he along with 18 had plenty of great moments in this arc.

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:04 pm

SaiyanZ wrote:
I honestly don't understand how anyone could call the special "terrible". It is easily some of the most quality work to ever come out of the entire FRANCHISE. Not just Super, but DB, Z, Super, and GT combined. While there are definitely a lot of criticisms you can make on it (such as the Spirit Bomb scene lasting too long or too much side talking during the fight) I don't think it's possible to call these episodes terrible.

In terms of 119, I think it was a bad episode, easily the worst paced episode in the entire franchise, but I don't think it's the worst episode in Super. It was at least somewhat enjoyable and had some interesting concepts which is more than I could say about the likes of 89, 102, and 106. Plus, from a quality stand point it still vastly outshines a lot of Super's earlier episodes in the BoG and RoF sagas.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:10 pm

I don't have a key episode per say but I do view every episode of the later part of the F arc as being guilty of the sin of wastefulness.

They had a chance to change or build on stuff from the movie like they did with Beerus but instead they just gave us a cheap version that was less then its original counterpart.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Tien's recruitment episode is probably the only one I've double taken at in the sheer poor handling of both Roshi and Tenshinhan as characters. Hell, even Chiaoutzu deserved better writing than he got in that episode.

Yurin herself is okay(although doesn't really fit what we know about Tien and Chiaoutzu's backstory) but Roshi crosses the line using the very worst aspects of his character exclusively with both Goku and Tien seemingly complicite in Roshi just attacking a random woman, Tien is unimpressive in every moment, his apprentices are all background character fodder, he doesn't teach them ki control at all, Chiaoutzu fumbles at every hurdle to look vaguely helpful during the talisman zombies, Tien is recruited as an afterthought, and unlike every other character doesn't seem to be given a reason for his inclusion by Goku(like say his ridiculously extensive list of skills).

Just bad all around. I'd take any of the silly Copy Vegeta nonsense over seeing such poor handling of staple characters again.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:52 pm

The episodes that stood out to me is the movie retellings, like episode 12 and I think episode 24/25 just weren't the best in the animation.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy