POLL: How do you feel about Kale and Caulifla?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Re: POLL: How do you feel about Kale and Caulifla?

Post by Kanious » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:27 pm

I love both Kale and Caulifla, specially Caulifla, and also Kefla.

They are the best characters DBS introduced [IMO], and now these girls are two of my favorite characters from the entire franchise, just only after Goku and Vegeta.

Also these characters gave me hope that in the future of Dragon Ball, at least Pan, and maybe even Bulla, can be like Kale and Caulifla

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:29 pm

They're OK.

I liked Caulifla at first but not so much anymore. I grew irritated of her arrogant personality after a while, plus the odd writing decision of her getting two forms out of nowhere instead of having them already.

Kale I hated at first but warmed up to her due to her development. She suffered from a horrible start as a Broly tribute character, but now she's a nice foil to Caulifla and she's slowly losing her satellite character status.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:31 pm

Kanious wrote:I love both Kale and Caulifla, specially Caulifla, and also Kefla.

They are the best characters DBS introduced [IMO], and now these girls are two of my favorite characters from the entire franchise, just only after Goku and Vegeta.

Also these characters gave me hope that in the future of Dragon Ball, at least Pan, and maybe even Bulla, can be like Kale and Caulifla
I imagine Pans character would be like Kagura from Gintama, would be an upgrade over her GT counterpart.

As for Bulla goes, depends who will voice her after what happened to Hiromi Tsuru

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:57 pm

I'm ok with them. I've grown to like Kale as she grew into her own character. Caulifla I like about the same as I did at the start; I like her character type. I enjoyed their red and green combo attacks as Kalefla. That's about it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:10 pm

I like them both. Caulilfa is literally a female Goku, and i liked how Kale has developed into being something more than Broly and having personality (plus her interactions with Caulifla).

But i think they should be separated, it may not be the case with Caulifla, but Kale depends too much on their relationship, and i think the next thing left to do with this character is allowing her to be something more than a protegee and stand up on her own (a Goku/Kale or Cabba/Kale episode would be nice).

They still need a backstory thought.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:44 pm

You guys keep saying that Kale is her own character "now"... why? just because she is confident when she is in SSJ isn't that interesting, she is still that shy girl who keeps following Caulifla in her base form and she still looks like Broly and more importantly she is pretty dumb once she transforms like when she asked "why did you dodge sis's attack?" lol
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:23 pm

BrolyKale wrote:You guys keep saying that Kale is her own character "now"... why? just because she is confident when she is in SSJ isn't that interesting, she is still that shy girl who keeps following Caulifla in her base form and she still looks like Broly and more importantly she is pretty dumb once she transforms like when she asked "why did you dodge sis's attack?" lol
To be honest just her not being Broly anymore is enough to me :lol: thank god she has that new controlled form.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Daaamn, I thought for sure I was gonna wake up with the vast majority hating them but damn, almost 50% for liking them both and only 21% hates them both? 72 votes isn't too bad a sample size either, at least for just the Super subforum of the website. I guess it does go to show that negative voices speak the loudest!

But that being said I do emphasize and understand the reasons presented by people who don't like them, I think they're perfectly valid. If you dislike strong, overconfident, cocky, arrogant, and sassy women you'll hate Caulifla no matter what, and if you don't care about the shy girl anime trope/all the Broly shit has ruined Kale for you, I totally get that too. I think by design these characters were meant to be polarizing regardless of the transformation controversies. Their personalities alone are very off-putting to some people.
BrolyKale wrote:You guys keep saying that Kale is her own character "now"... why? just because she is confident when she is in SSJ isn't that interesting, she is still that shy girl who keeps following Caulifla in her base form and she still looks like Broly and more importantly she is pretty dumb once she transforms like when she asked "why did you dodge sis's attack?" lol
I don't think it's fair to say that she's still the shy girl who follows Caulifla around as we haven't even had a chance to separate them since her character developed. Whereas before she would literally hide behind Caulifla as if not wanting to be seen now she can stand for herself and even encourages Caulifla to fight instead of the other way around.

I thought her asking why he would dodge Caulifla's attack was funny and cute.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:21 pm

I like Caulifa, except her power jumps, but that has little to do with the character herself, and more with the bad writing and execution in general. I hate Kale. I hate everything about Kale except her base character design, which does not fit her voice or personality at all.

Kefla is also terrible because her personality is no different than Gotenks and Vegito. Why is every fusion, besides Movie Gogeta, so unbearably cocky?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:29 pm

I thought her asking why he would dodge Caulifla's attack was funny and cute.
Yes and no, even if its "cute" its still dumb haha.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:38 pm

That quote by Kale felt like i was watching Gintama with someone attempting to take a shot on a Shounen trope. :D

Glad that she wont be a yandere anymore after seeing how Caulifla enjoyed fighting vs Goku in episode 113.

Next step would be making Caulifla and Cabba rivals, a proper rivalry unlike Goku and Vegeta which has been mostly one-sided.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:41 pm

I've also wondered what the consensus is, so I've conducted my own poll. It should be noted that Facebook's polling system only allows for two options, so those had to be "I like them" and "I dislike them". With one hour elapsed and 100 votes collected, the standings are 57 % dislike and 43 % like. Of course, there's 23 hours left to vote, so I'll give you an update on the final results tomorrow.
The point I'm trying to make here is that the consensus will change depending on where you make your poll. What's true for this subforum won't necessarily be true for other parts of the internet. In light of that, it's a shame that there hasn't been any official character popularity polls recently.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Alruneia wrote:I've also wondered what the consensus is, so I've conducted my own poll. It should be noted that Facebook's polling system only allows for two options, so those had to be "I like them" and "I dislike them". With one hour elapsed and 100 votes collected, the standings are 57 % dislike and 43 % like. Of course, there's 23 hours left to vote, so I'll give you an update on the final results tomorrow.
The point I'm trying to make here is that the consensus will change depending on where you make your poll. What's true for this subforum won't necessarily be true for other parts of the internet. In light of that, it's a shame that there hasn't been any official character popularity polls recently.
Very true, but at the same time it's indicative of what the majority of people say versus what the majority of people feel. I think looking around at this subforum you'll see A LOT of hate for Caulifla and Kale, so much so that it seems like the entirety of Kanzenshuu hates them, but if you look at the poll right now, 64% of people either like them or just think they're OK, and only 23% of people actually hate both of them, which is a great disparity from what you see being said on the forums about them.

One hour is quite a small amount of time, but I look forward to the updates on your poll as the hours pass on by.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Asura wrote:
Alruneia wrote:I've also wondered what the consensus is, so I've conducted my own poll. It should be noted that Facebook's polling system only allows for two options, so those had to be "I like them" and "I dislike them". With one hour elapsed and 100 votes collected, the standings are 57 % dislike and 43 % like. Of course, there's 23 hours left to vote, so I'll give you an update on the final results tomorrow.
Very true, but at the same time it's indicative of what the majority of people say versus what the majority of people feel. I think looking around at this subforum you'll see A LOT of hate for Caulifla and Kale, so much so that it seems like the entirety of Kanzenshuu hates them, but if you look at the poll right now, 64% of people either like them or just think they're OK, and only 23% of people actually hate both of them, which is a great disparity from what you see being said on the forums about them.

One hour is quite a small amount of time, but I look forward to the updates on your poll as the hours pass on by.
Unhappy people are more likely to voice their opinion on a subject generally. In terms of posts or threads and whatnot as well as other things in life so it's not shocking.

I voted like Caulifla but dislike Kale personally.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:35 pm

More or less female versions of Goten and Trunks.. I like em.. and would love for them to be in FighterZ. Kefla is Gotenks w/o the wacky moveset.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:55 pm

I loved Caulifla from day one and still do. She's awesome.

I had a rough start with Kale and it got even worse in Episode 100. But thankfully character development kicked in and I liked her a lot in the end.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:56 pm

MajinMan wrote:Caulifla is alright, but Kale sucks because she's Broly..
She's Broly without the pretty good backstory he originally had. Broly was pretty good in his first movie.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
MajinMan wrote:Caulifla is alright, but Kale sucks because she's Broly..
She's Broly without the pretty good backstory he originally had. Broly was pretty good in his first movie.
If we learned something about their past in episode 93 before the TOP, it'd have been much muuuuuch better. Just a little flashback where we see Caulifla and Kale and how they became best friends etc ... but now its too late, we have to wait I don't know how many episodes to discover their "story".
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:12 pm

I like them, but hopefully if/when we see them again after the TOP arc they increase up the shipping and make it obvious they're lesbian lovers. Their popularity will skyrocket if it happens. It's already heavily implied anyway to the Japanese, it's only that westerners don't understand yuri undertones in anime. The subs translating Kale calling her, "Sis" also makes it hard to understand they're not related.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:18 pm

^They are just best friends, like "sisters". I feel like some people never saw two girls being this close so when they see one they call them "lesbians" because... no reason. I'm also a girl and let me tell you that the way they are acting is pretty normal.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu