Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by dragon boss z » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Melkaniator wrote: We'll, while I'm not sure SSBE is from TOEI (I bet it is, it felt that way) Toei is still in this, and they will deal with the action in the movie most likely.
The original design of SSBE has been shown and it was from one of the anime stalf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy7TC4WyB68

And ya Toei will definitely be doing the action scenes, I'm just wondering if Toriyama doesn't say "Goku goes kaioken" or "Vegeta goes ascended Blue" in his script if they will add it in there. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:00 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:Nah, seeing someone stomp Vegeta and Freeza is getting tiresome, I want Broly to do that with Caulifla, Kale or maybe Ribrianne (God, I would love his character for that)

Truly, Reverse that Thought Right their, I would LOVE to see the Girls(Kale, Caulifla & Ribrianne, along with others like Kakunsa & Rozie) Be Special Guess in the Movie and Help Bring Down some Pain on Broly and help with the Fighting! :wink:

Bring out this New Generation of DB Ladies Warriors, that Make the Movie worth it! 8)
Yeah that also could be cool, but love won't help against Broly, a creature moved by pure hatred :twisted:
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Oh good, it looks like Broly will be our proxy vengeance character this time around. :roll:

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
Dragono wrote: Youre being intellectually dishonest
Says the person is looking for excuse like ignoring I'm talking about recycling characters, and using Beerus job as an excuse to pass him as a villain.
Charlie_1981 wrote: If Dragon Ball super is back, I have the feeling that in the first episodes we are going to have the same story as this movie being retold like what happened with Battle of the Gods and Resurrection of F.
I wouldn't be surprised, Toei knows that anything DB will be accepted by most regardless.
SuperVirginGod wrote:
And some are too late with the complaints of unoriginality and future of DB. They should have reacted the same to Super saiyan Cyan and GOLD frieza, i still hate these two "transformation s" to this day.
Me too, my opinion on those haven't changed since day 1, I have a friend that did abandoned DB after RoF.

I tried to tell him to watch it anyway, just to laughter at it, it's not like we're supporting it anyway.

But, everytime he sees the blue hair, or hear someone speaking about it, he's like "nah thanks".
Miracles wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:Overused and recycled, that's more the issue with me.
Not really. It's the first time Broly is in the canon story.
Overused and recycled, canon is irrelevant in this matter.

This is Broly's 4th movie, that is his 1st canon one doesn't change that.
sintzu wrote:
emperior wrote:I was wondering if maybe he would think of giving Gohan the outfit from the second movie. That fits Gohan so well, and it would be a nod to that movie!
Gohan has that outfit in the manga right now.
Incorrect, that's not the same one.

Gohan is using Piccolo's right now, same he used while fighting Cell.
Beerus did not want to destroy Earth because it was his job, he wanted to do it because he didn't get pudding.

This is all i need to know, you know very little about what you are talking about.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Funny hearing some people opinions insisting that Broly again is almost like getting another antagonist like Jiren.

Really? Jiren is stoic and has a bland personality, Broly is a bloodlusted manic who suffers with schizophrenia. Also Broly is a Saiyan which is a plus (since the series is long time about this great warrior race), so you have more interest about him than Jiren whatever race or such.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:23 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:
HeroR wrote:
The bad animation wasn’t because of a lack of care. It was a lack of time.
They didn't care to make this when things were ready, they should've prepared everything before doing this.
You know, I never got this point presented by those who defended the animation in Super. Saying "b-but the production schedule!" is just another excuse for the piss poor animation (and even stills). Like, Toei couldn't have been bothered to give a fuck about the franchise's revival enough to give the team a proper production schedule and people act like this is ok?
It isn't an excuse at all. It's a fact and Ajay did a whole thing about it. And the franchise revival being rushed wouldn't even be on Toei. That would be Shueisha.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:29 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:
HeroR wrote:
The bad animation wasn’t because of a lack of care. It was a lack of time.
They didn't care to make this when things were ready, they should've prepared everything before doing this.
You know, I never got this point presented by those who defended the animation in Super. Saying "b-but the production schedule!" is just another excuse for the piss poor animation (and even stills). Like, Toei couldn't have been bothered to give a fuck about the franchise's revival enough to give the team a proper production schedule and people act like this is ok?
Because the spot super took was going to be gone after kai ended and they couldn't extend kai because it has little filler, not to mnetion toei has a bunch of other projects including one piece so making a proper schedule for a tv show was not going to happen for an original anime with no manga material.

Its not an excuse, its an explanation of why something went wrong. No one is ok with bad animation but its important to know why so you don't sound like a dumbass when you say shit like "toei didn't put money in it or the animators don't care."

People will write you off that way.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Dragono wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:They didn't care to make this when things were ready, they should've prepared everything before doing this.
Because the spot super took was going to be gone after kai ended and they couldn't extend kai because it has little filler, not to mnetion toei has a bunch of other projects including one piece so making a proper schedule for a tv show was not going to happen for an original anime with no manga material.

Its not an excuse, its an explanation of why something went wrong. No one is ok with bad animation but its important to know why so you don't sound like a dumbass when you say shit like "toei didn't put money in it or the animators don't care."

People will write you off that way.
That and because of the lousy pre-production, Super was Toei's most expensive show. So it wasn't like they didn't pumped money into it, but money can't buy time.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:Nah, seeing someone stomp Vegeta and Freeza is getting tiresome, I want Broly to do that with Caulifla, Kale or maybe Ribrianne (God, I would love his character for that)

Truly, Reverse that Thought Right their, I would LOVE to see the Girls(Kale, Caulifla & Ribrianne, along with others like Kakunsa & Rozie) Be Special Guess in the Movie and Help Bring Down some Pain on Broly and help with the Fighting! :wink:

Bring out this New Generation of DB Ladies Warriors, that Make the Movie worth it! 8)
Yeah that also could be cool, but love won't help against Broly, a creature moved by pure hatred :twisted:
No better force of power then the Opposite , Pure Love vs. Pure Hate! :wink:

But really when it comes to Broly it is always a team fight against one, It be Cool to see Kefla in this and in the move she achieves SSJ-3 in Fused form like Gotenks did and combine that with the Good Character development that Brianne got after episode 117 to find even more powerful forms of love Ribrianne can achieve a New level as well, be EPIC to see either both or one, be great!

Beyond Longshot this would even happen to any of them to be in this, but it is fun to talk about to see how they might work in this movie. :wink:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:53 pm

I’m betting that the Universe 6 saiyans won’t factor into this movie’s plot.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:56 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I’m betting that the Universe 6 saiyans won’t factor into this movie’s plot.
I honestly and sadly don't think ANY of the other Universes will factor in this plot, it feels like strictly a U7 thing and mostly a Goku and Vegeta thing taking up most of the time.

I find that sad since I rather have more of the other universes in this, I be pleasantly suprised to see that, but not expect any of them at this point to factor in, sadly, Especially U6 and U2. :(
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:59 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I’m betting that the Universe 6 saiyans won’t factor into this movie’s plot.
Going by Toriyama's notes I guess the best they and Gohan/Goten/Trunks can get is an apparence during the "History of the Saiyans" portion, or some slice of life scenes
Either that or jobbing as usual in movies

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:05 am

Its gonna be Super's version of Broly (basically watered-down, kid-friendly, nakama, Saiyajin version of Z's Broly)

Wonder why he looks likw Yamcha in poster though. Lets hope Akira Toriyama gave proper storyline for Broly though

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:16 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:Wow. The current state of this franchise and the fans it currently panders to is a travesty.
It’s the west’s fault for liking Broly too much.
Broly's ki is not the only green he generates:

How else do you explain Super Saiyan 4 Broly, exclusive to a game that is only played in Japan?
Face it, Broly is more popular than previous expectations (WORLDWIDE, not just the West) that even Toriyama was alerted to it!

I just realized something:
If Bardock appears in the film, then the film will be the first time Toriyama-Bardock will be animated as well and appear in a Super-branded product.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:34 am

Anyone noticed how Broly on the poster and Broly(?) in the teaser trailer are wearing different clothes?
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
On the poster, Broly is wearing his usual red cloth around his waist, but in the teaser it's green. What's more curious is that he seems to be wearing armour that resembles the Freeza force if we take a look at the new characters.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Freeza's new soldiers are wearing clothes with a green and purple colour scheme, just like what Broly is wearing in the teaser.

My theory is that Freeza discovers Broly and ends up recruiting him for his own personal goals. Or, for all we know, that character from the teaser trailer might not even be Broly and is just another Saiyan that Toei's hiding from us.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:11 am

It would be an excellent fakeout to have Broly be a complete misdirection and he's not actually in the villain role. Hell, maybe that's Paragus working for Frieza and Broly just got roped into this.

I kinda doubt that though. The armor's definitely the new Frieza force design, but the fur-looking garb he's got going on in the poster is definitely red while the one in the trailer is green or maybe brown, but it's most likely the same thing, and I don't see Paragus or any other saiyan just happening to have adopted the same clothing style. I could be wrong though.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:15 am

IndieBooToo wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
IndieBooToo wrote:
They couldn't. He was the man for the role. Him being in the movie makes sense since it literally takes place after ToP.

By your nonsensical logic Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo etc are in the movie for fanservice as well. Broly is just some random addition who wasn't canon until now.
And is it bad that they bring Broly back as a new character? why are you crying? just because its Broly doesn't mean it will be something bad, he will be a completely new character, new personality (Toriyama said he updated him), new story (obviously they can't use the same story otherwise it wouldn't be canon), new motivation.
I was only arguing about your ridiculous comparison with Broly and Frieza.
This is what you said at first

"You know who else they could do something interesting and exciting?

Someone completely new, and not even saiya-jin, you know, something that shows they can do something besides being stagnant."
and then I explained why Broly could be interesting and why he was completely new.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:28 am

It's been a whole day and I'm still in disbelief over this. I'm not even angry, just flabbergasted.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:52 am

Melkaniator wrote:Suggest Akira to create something completely new, make DB reach new heights, be way more than it is.
Like Beerus, the destroyers, the angles, zeno, & Zamasu to name a few ?
Saiga wrote:If I were in charge, I wouldn't be suggesting concepts to Toriyama based on how popular or marketable they are.

It's not like Toriyama used Broly because he had some burning passion for the character. He was suggested to do it and decided to go along with it.
If you were in charge your #1 priority would be to bring in as much $$$ as possible and Broly, love him or hate him, brings in $$$. I'm not going to say DB is just a cash cow with 0 passion but it is a business and businesses are required to bring in $$$. Look at comics, they've been doing the same things with little to nothing new for the past 80 years so at least DB is still doing new things alongside the old.

He could've easily turned him down but he didn't and his message clearly shows he has ideas worth exploring. The "legendary Ssj" concept has a lot of potential and I think we should be happy to see it being revisited instead of it being left behind because of those 3 "movies".
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:My theory is that Freeza discovers Broly and ends up recruiting him for his own personal goals. Or, for all we know, that character from the teaser trailer might not even be Broly and is just another Saiyan that Toei's hiding from us.
Maybe the differences are just due to things being a work in progress ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:57 am

mecha3000 wrote:Not that anyone cares, but I'm just here to say I'm actually satisfied with the Broly reveal. Once again (like when Kale was revealed), this shows that no matter how much some of you purists think you know or control Dragon Ball, you don't. No one does. Only Toei and Toriyama. I recall so many fans saying, "Broly will never return or shouldn't return. He's not canon, so forget it". Well, he's pretty much canon now depending on your definition of the term, and I'm just relishing it. I don't even love Broly, but I still enjoy his character as part of the DB universe and get annoyed at how he suddenly became the villain to hate on (for good reason, but still it gets annoying. We know his motivation sucks. Get over it and just enjoy him for what he is). And I know this will be a retcon version of Broly so the old one is irrelevant now to much of the fanbase, but the fact remains: So many of you claimed you didn't want to see Broly again. Well, you're not Toriyama.

I'll admit this post is kind of a form of venting for me and I do come off as an asshole, but it's just because I've grown tired of the toxic nature of the fandom in recent years. I know every fandom has a toxic nature to it, but DB especially so due to the PURIST VS CASUAL mentality of the fanbase and how Funimation divided the casuals from Toei's purist fans. However, I find myself connecting more with the casuals because they're less toxic about how they view the fanbase, at least in my encounters. The casuals know how to have fun with DB while CERTAIN purists make it seem like Game of Thrones with their superiority complex in how they view the franchise.

To end on a more positive note, Super has done a good job of uniting the purist and casuals more due to the sub being available during its run and how many fans now understand how DB is supposed to be. Hopefully, we all end up enjoying Tori-Broli. Also, I guess with this movie being revealed to be about Broly - Maybe, I'll actually pay to go see the remastered original Broly movie in theaters this fall. Then again, a fan might yell MY POWER IS MAXIMUM every two seconds in a cringey manner so nevermind (Casuals can get annoying too). I'll definitely watch the other movies to prepare for the new version.
I agree with this so much. A lot of people really have a bad habit of thinking their personal feelings have any authority over reality and given how many times villains claim incrediluity at the heroes accomplishing specific feats in Dragon Ball and other shows only to be proven massively wrong, you'd think the point would be hammered home, but still no.

I'm envious that your cinemas will air the remastered movies and we don't get anything here, but hope it will be great! This really is going to be quite the experience!