Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:05 am

We are slowly approaching the movie but we’re also approaching Jump Festa where we will presumably know whats going to happen after. I personally see us getting an announcement that Toyotaro will continue the story in the manga (and will possibly get a chance to write his own stories. Not good). And maybe we’ll get an anime announcement for July. Also, hopefully we get a post credits scene in the movie.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:36 am

The fandom made the god forms in the series way more convoluted than they are presented by trying to shoehorn in movie lore the series clearly was not following, Saiyan Beyond God/two base theory and this bizarre notion that the gold forms couldn't be used anymore and the U6 arc must have retconned it which isn't supported anywhere in the show.

What we do know:
After Goku lost SSG, he retained the same level of power in his Super Saiyan form and fought Beerus for two more episodes. Beerus speculates that he absorbed the form, but Goku isn't shown to have retained any other abilities from god besides the power level. That includes god ki as shown in 22. Whis had to teach him how to use it again. Ultimately it doesn't matter if there was more as Goku doesn't fight again after training with Whis.

Goku and Vegeta train with Whis and increase their power but don't actually learn how to use god ki until ~18/19. During the training Whis notes that he never told them not to use Super Saiyan but they simply chose not to, showing that yes, the gold forms still exist.

Whis trains them to use god ki by increasing their ki while controlling it, showing the first hint of Blue. This is later confirmed to be god ki in 22 while they're training in Whis' hyperbolic time staff. It generates the same kind of pressure Blue is noted to have and the point of containing the ki is so the enemy can't sense it. This also confirms Goku wasn't using god ki up to this point as Goku wasn't able to move in the staff until Vegeta figured out the trick and told him what to do. God ki apparently does not make their base any stronger as they are never shown to fight foes that way and the only time their ki is noted to vanish and the pressure appear is God/Blue. Goku was fighting Frieza with his normal power.

When Goku goes blue he says he's a saiyan with the power of SSG as a Super Saiyan. You can debate what he means here but it's more complicated than just being as strong as SSG since there's a ki control aspect to it and Cabba is as strong as base Vegeta but he can't do it, nor can the stronger Caulifla. Being 'as strong as SSG' is as meaningless criteria as SSG is not a set value, just like the other forms. SSG was growing stronger fighting Beerus and tori said it varies depending on base power. Plus Vegeta has 'the power of Super Saiyan God' despite never doing the ritual for certain in the anime, meaning Whis taught him how to use it.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:40 am

MisteryOne wrote:SSG Vegeta was literally said to be Toyotaro's idea supervised by Toriyama on the interview of the manga volume. I know people love to headcanon things to make sense with how badly the anime version handled forms but we can't just ignore given information for the sake of it.
Vegeta using SSG in battle was Toyotaro's idea, not him having it at all. You guys forgot that even in the RoF movie (before Super) its stated you need SSG to be a SSB, since the later is just an upgrade of the former (hence the name super saiyan god super saiyan). Vegeta got SSG during the 6 months of training with Whis after BoG. Logic 101, not headcanon. You would have to be dumb to believe Vegeta couldn't use SSG in the anime version. He had no reason to use it in the anime because its only advantage in the anime is more speed, and Vegeta didn't fight a Dyspo like character to make him use it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:42 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:The fandom made the god forms in the series way more convoluted than they are presented by trying to shoehorn in movie lore the series clearly was not following, Saiyan Beyond God/two base theory and this bizarre notion that the gold forms couldn't be used anymore and the U6 arc must have retconned it which isn't supported anywhere in the show.

What we do know:
After Goku lost SSG, he retained the same level of power in his Super Saiyan form and fought Beerus for two more episodes. Beerus speculates that he absorbed the form, but Goku isn't shown to have retained any other abilities from god besides the power level. That includes god ki as shown in 22. Whis had to teach him how to use it again. Ultimately it doesn't matter if there was more as Goku doesn't fight again after training with Whis.

Goku and Vegeta train with Whis and increase their power but don't actually learn how to use god ki until ~18/19. During the training Whis notes that he never told them not to use Super Saiyan but they simply chose not to, showing that yes, the gold forms still exist.

Whis trains them to use god ki by increasing their ki while controlling it, showing the first hint of Blue. This is later confirmed to be god ki in 22 while they're training in Whis' hyperbolic time staff. It generates the same kind of pressure Blue is noted to have and the point of containing the ki is so the enemy can't sense it. This also confirms Goku wasn't using god ki up to this point as Goku wasn't able to move in the staff until Vegeta figured out the trick and told him what to do. God ki apparently does not make their base any stronger as they are never shown to fight foes that way and the only time their ki is noted to vanish and the pressure appear is God/Blue. Goku was fighting Frieza with his normal power.

When Goku goes blue he says he's a saiyan with the power of SSG as a Super Saiyan. You can debate what he means here but it's more complicated than just being as strong as SSG since there's a ki control aspect to it and Cabba is as strong as base Vegeta but he can't do it, nor can the stronger Caulifla. Being 'as strong as SSG' is as meaningless criteria as SSG is not a set value, just like the other forms. SSG was growing stronger fighting Beerus and tori said it varies depending on base power. Plus Vegeta has 'the power of Super Saiyan God' despite never doing the ritual for certain in the anime, meaning Whis taught him how to use it.
Finally, someone with common sense. Nice post
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:01 am

Anyone know when at Comic-Con the panel for this movie is? Thursday through Sunday is a large swath and I'd like to know when to be watching my phone for the new trailer.

Edit: nevermind. Found it. I should be back in time for it since it's 6 - 7pm Friday.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:03 am

I hope Broli is still a villain after the movie

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:32 am

CTAkuma wrote:I hope Broli is still a villain after the movie
If that's the case then I hope Broly wins in the movie. He could become the new limit for Goku and Vegeta to break (since Beerus has pretty much been surpassed already).

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:39 am

Chuquita wrote:Anyone know when at Comic-Con the panel for this movie is? Thursday through Sunday is a large swath and I'd like to know when to be watching my phone for the new trailer.

Edit: nevermind. Found it. I should be back in time for it since it's 6 - 7pm Friday.
I really hope we get something good from the panel, but I'm gonna try not to get my hopes up. Capcom burned me bad this morning with their shitty 'must see' Ace Attorney stream at TGS. :problem:

Related to that, aren't we due for the next behind the scenes interview from the official website tonight? Have they said who it will be this week?
ricky84 wrote:*snip*

Thanks. Ugh, I see so many typos reading back over that. Writing on a 3ds is such a pain. :lol:

I get where the confusion comes from with there being 3 different versions of BoG and RoF with differing takes on things, but if you just look at the BoG and Resurrection F arcs by themselves, particularly the training arc between the end of BoG and the fight with Frieza, it's not really all that complicated. It's true that Vegeta never uses SSG by itself in the anime that we see, but as far as I can recall he never uses SS2 again after MY BULMA either, even though Goku uses it all the damn time. I don't think 'doesn't' should be taken as 'can't.'

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:42 am

After reading the interview of the two freeza henchmen VA's. I'm convinced Broly will beat EVERYONE but will be talked out of killing them by Chirai/Cheyle. Then he will leave with her to go to Planet Vampa or whereever he's from. This is gonna be a BoG type ending where the good guys get spared

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:56 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Anyone know when at Comic-Con the panel for this movie is? Thursday through Sunday is a large swath and I'd like to know when to be watching my phone for the new trailer.

I really hope we get something good from the panel, but I'm gonna try not to get my hopes up. Capcom burned me bad this morning with their shitty 'must see' Ace Attorney stream at TGS. :problem:

Related to that, aren't we due for the next behind the scenes interview from the official website tonight? Have they said who it will be this week?
I won't be too disappointed if we don't get the second trailer at NYCC because I might be traveling that weekend and if I am it would delay any fan art I'd draw related to the theoretical new trailer. I'd rather have a quiet news weekend this time to be honest. That said if we get something I'll squeeze it in best I can.

I want to know how much we're deviating from Movie 8 + Minus featuring guest star Gogeta. The film looks beautiful, but I care about the plot too and my hopes for the plot are kinda low atm.

I haven't heard much about the interview.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:39 pm

MisteryOne wrote:SSG Vegeta was literally said to be Toyotaro's idea supervised by Toriyama on the interview of the manga volume. I know people love to headcanon things to make sense with how badly the anime version handled forms but we can't just ignore given information for the sake of it.
it was Toyotaro's idea to have it used and that was mostly a function of how he wrote SSB to be an absolutely insane stamina waster and so using SSG was naturally deemed necessary. They still existed in the anime continuity there was just no reason to use it.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Wow. WTF. Right after i mention Jump Festa and DBS, this new drops!

https://twitter.com/CX_TLG/status/1043482454038843392
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:45 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Wow. WTF. Right after i mention Jump Festa and DBS, this new drops!

Yea, looks like it's returning. The event is also right after the Broly movie so something is up.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:49 pm

IM21 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Wow. WTF. Right after i mention Jump Festa and DBS, this new drops!

Yea, looks like it's returning. The event is also right after the Broly movie so something is up.
Not 100% convinced yet, but it's a nice sign.

Also, new series would mean new name so I'm expecting 'SuperZ'.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:54 pm

Lol Watch them announce another movie : Fukkatso no F

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:55 pm

Michsi wrote:
IM21 wrote:

They may just decide to continue Super with ep132 instead of renaming it. The only way I see a rename is if it goes beyond the 10 year time skip which doesn't seem likely now.

I do think we should keep our expectations a bit low cause they could just be celebrating the movie as it's 9 days after it opens so Super coming back might not be announced there. I hope I'm wrong though.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:12 pm

sintzu wrote:
Michsi wrote:
IM21 wrote:

They may just decide to continue Super with ep132 instead of renaming it. The only way I see a rename is if it goes beyond the 10 year time skip which doesn't seem likely now.

I do think we should keep our expectations a bit low cause they could just be celebrating the movie as it's 9 days after it opens so Super coming back might not be announced there. I hope I'm wrong though.
There's no way they stay below the 10 year time skip. There's only 3 years left from ToP->EoZ and there's not much else they can really do in that short time and that's not even including what is probably a time skip from ToP->Broly. They will probably keep the "Super name" and go past the 10 year time skip.
IM21 wrote:

I hope so. :think:

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:17 pm

That's interesting. If I recall, Dragon Ball Super wasn't on the main stage last year at all. Wasn't the movie announced at the Super Dragon Ball Heroes stage show?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:25 pm

PFM18 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Michsi wrote:

There's no way they stay below the 10 year time skip. There's only 3 years left from ToP->EoZ and there's not much else they can really do in that short time and that's not even including what is probably a time skip from ToP->Broly. They will probably keep the "Super name" and go past the 10 year time skip.

I agree with the idea of keeping expectations low.
But if they DO announce a new series, guess we'll finally learn whether or not GT is part of Super's continuity or not.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:26 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:That's interesting. If I recall, Dragon Ball Super wasn't on the main stage last year at all. Wasn't the movie announced at the Super Dragon Ball Heroes stage show?
Yeah. All the Super announcements from Jump festa have always been apart of the DBHeroes stage event. The fact that DBS is getting its own stage event means big things.