Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:35 pm

The worst case scenario is that Yamamuro continues to be the character designer of the TV series while Shintani only works on the films, like Hisada Kazuya and Satou Masayuki currently do for One Piece.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:59 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The worst case scenario is that Yamamuro continues to be the character designer of the TV series while Shintani only works on the films, like Hisada Kazuya and Satou Masayuki currently do for One Piece.
Its a shame that Japanese businesses tend to run on seniority rather than merit. If they ran on the later, Yamamuro would have been fired after the first arc of GT.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:03 pm

Yamamuro didn't do GT's designs, that was Nakatsuru, whose traits he adopted and exacerbated later on.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:16 am

zarmack wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:The worst case scenario is that Yamamuro continues to be the character designer of the TV series while Shintani only works on the films, like Hisada Kazuya and Satou Masayuki currently do for One Piece.
Its a shame that Japanese businesses tend to run on seniority rather than merit. If they ran on the later, Yamamuro would have been fired after the first arc of GT.
It typically depends on the project but Dragon Ball is unfortunately a project where the senior member gets an undue skip to the beginning of the line.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:49 am

PFM18 wrote:
Noah wrote:Other than his pointless redesign? Not really willing to know.
...yeah that was a Freeza from 40+ years ago. It isn't particularly unreasonable to think Freeza looked different such a long time ago. In fact, it would be stupid if he DIDN'T look different.
What? Why it would be stupid? We don't know jack about Freeza's race than they were mutant people that has tons of transformations to hold their power. If it was dropped before that's an actual trait of young "Frost demons", I would be fine with that, but no, it was just out of nowhere.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:53 am

Noah wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Noah wrote:Other than his pointless redesign? Not really willing to know.
...yeah that was a Freeza from 40+ years ago. It isn't particularly unreasonable to think Freeza looked different such a long time ago. In fact, it would be stupid if he DIDN'T look different.
What? Why it would be stupid? We don't know jack about Freeza's race than they were mutant people that has tons of transformations to hold their power. If it was dropped before that's an actual trait of young "Frost demons", I would be fine with that, but no, it was just out of nowhere.
we have no indication that they are these ageless beings that are impervious to natural aging like everyone else. Therefore, we assume that they age normally like everyone else, and 40+ years is a long time to be aging. I don't see any issue with a much younger Freeza looking different. I mean, we don't have much indication either way, so it doesn't contradict anything that he has brighter colors and looks younger. Besides, we literally only have 1 panel of that flashback in the original manga where we see this Freeza blowing up Vegeta so we can barely even draw any conclusions about what he looked back then in the original work too.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:48 am

Apologies if this was posted before but I saw lots of lovely images from the Dragon Ball Skytree event and in addition to those images (where we also got all those new design) there was a little bit of animation shown as well. It looked beautiful to me :)

https://youtu.be/V92deZdy_yY

Super Saiyan God
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Saiyan God » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:23 am

Looks like this month we will have new dragon ball super arc according to geekdom Image

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:18 am

Shaddy wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:The fact that he doesn't have it shows it's not necessary.
No it doesn't. A lack of consistency or synchronization is part of why modern Dragon Ball's colors are so fucking awful.
Yes, Goku should have all the colors in his attire that his hair can turn into...

...nice logic.
Shaddy wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:Who says it's so important?

You take it as something important that has to be on an argument apparently, I'm here just expressing my opinion, you're the one that wants me to defend my every point of view.
Because this is a place of discussion? When you basically just go "Y'ALL WRONG I SAY IT'S SHIT", I'm not sure what exactly you expected in response.
Oh, so, that's how your mind works, interesting to say the least.

My opinion doesn't mean "everyone else's wrong" and it's not to be taking so ridiculously personal, but if you can't control it, I can't expect anything else I guess.
Shaddy wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:The promotional coloring book example is in the oranges and apples area of comparisons.

The art of Broly movie DBH cards have the art of the movie, coloring books are too different to Infinity War.
The art on the cards is drawn by separate artists, it's only as tangentially related to the movie as Heroes itself is promotional game material for Dragon Ball in general.
It's as the Broly movie's art, which is why it looks inferior.

You don't need to agree, and I'm not trying to convince you, but since you see all of this as me attacking everyone else's opinion on this movie, yeah, let's make it an infinite argument.
Shaddy wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:You're the one avoiding the fact that I put there that this movie isn't going to explore anything I'm interested in.
I've responded to what you've said to me.
YOU responded to a post where that was already in it, might as well read the whole thing if you're responding to it.
Shaddy wrote:
Melkaniator wrote: And still claiming I'm trying to give a "false sense of superiority" and evidently I'm not, thus it's all on your head.
Do you really not see the hypocrisy in claiming that you're not deflecting or condescending to anyone at all and then immediately trying to make everything the other person's fault?
If it's not there, then it's only on your head, It's beyond obvious.
Shaddy wrote:
Melkaniator wrote: Feeling inferior?

Not my problem.
Are you deliberately misunderstanding me? Nobody condescending that hard actually succeeds in looking superior. They just look desperate.
As there's no such intention from my part, it can only be you feeling inferior, thus again, I inform you, it's on you, not my problem.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Furiza

Post by Furiza » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:25 am

Are you finished with your problems?

If not go make them out via PM

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:39 am

DainIronfoot wrote:Apologies if this was posted before but I saw lots of lovely images from the Dragon Ball Skytree event and in addition to those images (where we also got all those new design) there was a little bit of animation shown as well. It looked beautiful to me :)

https://youtu.be/V92deZdy_yY
Damn i missed that music!! It reminds me of the best era the dragon ball fandom has ever known.. The Battle Of Gods movie with Lord Beerus! 2012, 2013 was the most hyped i’ve ever been. And Sumitomo was at his very best in the BoG movie!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 am

PFM18 wrote:we have no indication that they are these ageless beings that are impervious to natural aging like everyone else. Therefore, we assume that they age normally like everyone else, and 40+ years is a long time to be aging. I don't see any issue with a much younger Freeza looking different. I mean, we don't have much indication either way, so it doesn't contradict anything that he has brighter colors and looks younger. Besides, we literally only have 1 panel of that flashback in the original manga where we see this Freeza blowing up Vegeta so we can barely even draw any conclusions about what he looked back then in the original work too.
We know the arms are wrong and so is the lack of Freeza force armor on him. He's also got a scouter on when he blows up planet Vegeta which also wasn't a thing in the manga, therefore its an inconsistency. I don't get why this is an issue to admit.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:53 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Noah wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
we have no indication that they are these ageless beings that are impervious to natural aging like everyone else. Therefore, we assume that they age normally like everyone else, and 40+ years is a long time to be aging. I don't see any issue with a much younger Freeza looking different. I mean, we don't have much indication either way, so it doesn't contradict anything that he has brighter colors and looks younger. Besides, we literally only have 1 panel of that flashback in the original manga where we see this Freeza blowing up Vegeta so we can barely even draw any conclusions about what he looked back then in the original work too.
Both that one panel from the original manga and Minus as a whole show Freeza looking the same way as he looks now, and while I'm not gonna say he's ageless, he could just age much better than humans, kinda like saiyans stay on their prime until around 80 years, so Freeza looking the same from the Minus era and now isn't far fetched, and it's a weird retcon to suddenly decide that Freeza needs to look younger in that era when, again, Minus didn't do so.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Keep Shintani in the movies and replace Yamamuro with Takahashi for TV series would be a dream to me. Or just let Takahashi take over everything. :P
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SuperVirginGod

Post by SuperVirginGod » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:35 pm

Is there any official announcement or confirmation regarding Home release in japan? I searched quite a bit but couldn't find anything. Both BOG and Fukkatsu F had 7 month gap between theatrical and Home release so it must be June i guess.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:36 pm

Outside of aesthetic changes (like pink colored skin) how exactly does Freeza look younger in the Minus part of the movie :| ?
FortuneSSJ wrote: Keep Shintani in the movies and replace Yamamuro with Takahashi for TV series would be a dream to me. Or just let Takahashi take over everything. :P
We have had angular designs for over 3 decades now, let's move on to more fresh territories, Shintani designs should be the go to for both TV and movies.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Lukmendes wrote: Both that one panel from the original manga and Minus as a whole show Freeza looking the same way as he looks now, and while I'm not gonna say he's ageless, he could just age much better than humans, kinda like saiyans stay on their prime until around 80 years, so Freeza looking the same from the Minus era and now isn't far fetched, and it's a weird retcon to suddenly decide that Freeza needs to look younger in that era when, again, Minus didn't do so.
The more I think about it the more I feel that pinky boy Frieza is just going to be a fresh new design for his first form in general. He looks like the only Minus-era character to get a revised design with the armor and arm stripes being dropped. Frieza is obviously a few decades younger here but I'm not sure that has anything to do with the design changes since Cold also got a few changes from his traditional look. Now Frieza looks just like him, only tiny and pink (and smaller horns).

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Melkaniator wrote: Yes, Goku should have all the colors in his attire that his hair can turn into...

...nice logic.
Did I say that? You've projected that onto me because it's an idea you view as easier to rebut, but I don't actually believe that, and at no point have I said that would be a good idea. UI needs better color coordination, but you're trying to pin something on me that I haven't said.
Melkaniator wrote:Oh, so, that's how your mind works, interesting to say the least.
Yet again you feel the need to act as if the people who disagree with you are somehow wrong in the head.
Melkaniator wrote: My opinion doesn't mean "everyone else's wrong" and it's not to be taking so ridiculously personal, but if you can't control it, I can't expect anything else I guess.
And you really somehow don't get why I call you condescending. You've moved to gaslighting now just because you don't want to be called out onprevious behavior. You know that if you'd just been like "it looks bad I don't like this" nobody would've cared right? But you took the time to also add a little "man, these fucking people whose taste this appeals to, UGH". You didn't think anyone would take issue with that?
Also "taking this personally", what do you think this is? Discussion and discourse is something I'm constantly a part of, this is just another monday morning.
Melkaniator wrote: It's as the Broly movie's art, which is why it looks inferior.
Yeah but it's not though. The art in the movie isn't drawn by the people who draw the cards. They're based on Shintani's designs, but besides the fact that those would make them better if anything, that's not actually a factor to whether the people drawing that art are actually involved with the film production, nor does it affect the quality of that film.
Melkaniator wrote: You don't need to agree, and I'm not trying to convince you, but since you see all of this as me attacking everyone else's opinion on this movie, yeah, let's make it an infinite argument.
Yet more gaslighting. You know tons of people share your opinions. Notice as well how none of them have fought to say "It's only my opinion so that justifies being disrespectful", because they didn't deride those who disagreed from the start.
Melkaniator wrote:YOU responded to a post where that was already in it, might as well read the whole thing if you're responding to it.
I don't owe you that in the slightest, and it's still irrelevant when in the exact same post you pass the dissenting opinion off as "imagine being this dude lol". The
'it's just my opinion" defense doesn't work when you act like a prick at the same time.
Melkaniator wrote: If it's not there, then it's only on your head, It's beyond obvious.
As there's no such intention from my part, it can only be you feeling inferior, thus again, I inform you, it's on you, not my problem.
Yeah and that'd be real nice except you've pretty fucking obviously condescended to me this whole time. Saying "no I haven't you're lying" like a child isn't going to get you anywhere.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:46 pm

Melkaniator, you're done here. Enough. Pack it up.

And by proxy, Shaddy, you're equally done with them.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:01 pm

What countries has been confirmed for then?

Japan, America, UK....where else?