Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:33 pm

zarmack wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Broly will probably be more than a hulking psycho but I don't trust them to not make DBS Broly anything but vomit inducingly modern Shonen when he's not a screaming retard.

M8 Paragus is a fantastic character already and much like with Broly, I don't trust them not to destroy whatever subtlety there was so we can make pouw wittle Bwoly look more sympathetic.

They'll probably look more visually bombastic, that's for sure but the 8th film actually has a lot of quiet moments in it, lots of atmosphere to the proceedings which I'm finding more appreciation for over big, sakuga bombast.

The flashback content of Super Broly is Dragon Ball Minus + extra shit, that alone makes it worse than testicular electrocution, much less M8s flashbacks.

Freeza's motive is the stupidest thing Toriyama's shat out since Resurrection F, Paragus has the same motive as before and Broly's not a generic psycho so you're a third of the way right?
I mean, Nagamine is a director that is known for using silence in his films.
Judging by his direction of Film Z, I wouldn’t really be worried about that film lacking those subtle moments or specific atmosphere.

Also, Freeza’s motive is good. Like, it’s perfectly in character, while allowing them to do something fresh with him beyond his typical “unlimited power” routine.
Since when has Freeza ever been interested in his height? Since when was Freeza a gag character in general? It's a stupid, out-of-character motive.
Freeza's always been petutlant and petty, especially in relation to appearances.

Besides, he also has an assistant this movie, that will probably goad him on to make those changes and is critical of him.

Being petutlant and petty is hardly out of character.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:35 pm

So apparently after they successfully fuse, Piccolo asks them to go immediately but gogeta spends time thinking about a name. Poor Freeza :lol:

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Boy this Broly sounds sweet and I like the sympathetic touch. Here is my gripe.

Full Power Broly being (or seemingly) weak against SSB Gogeta. I would like the two to exchange some back and forth and not just a "curb stomp" fight. Maybe it is that and in that case, cool. The summary made it seem like Gogeta Blue wins from beginning to end.

Also Paragus harms Broly's dog friend. He may love his son but he's still a dick. (At least he gets killed. That is what you get for hurting a dog.)
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Does this new Broly even talk? he only talks about his past to Cheelai and Lemo and that's it, nothing more? I mean like in the first Broly movie, when he goes LSSJ and actually speaks. Because in this movie, once he goes Ikari, SSJ or SSJ Full Power he is out of control and seems like a second Kale who goes Berserker and won't say much...
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:07 pm

BrolyKale wrote:Does this new Broly even talk? he only talks about his past to Cheelai and Lemo and that's it, nothing more? I mean like in the first Broly movie, when he goes LSSJ and actually speaks. Because in this movie, once he goes Ikari, SSJ or SSJ Full Power he is out of control and seems like a second Kale who goes Berserker and won't say much...
Apparently he dose, just not a lot.

At one point he tells Cheelai about were he got the green fur cloth he wears. Appreantly there are dog/wolf like beasts on Vampa along witht he spider monsters. Broly met one and it attacked him, but instead of killing it he turned it's attacks into a game. Eventually the beast became friendly toward the boy but when Paragus found out he attacked it, cutting of one of it's ears. After that the beast never came near him again, so Broly made that cloth from it's ear so he could always be close to his lost friend.

Edit: I miss understood. Yes he apparently talks a little bit, primarily after he's back on Vampa.
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:08 pm

BrolyKale wrote:Does this new Broly even talk? he only talks about his past to Cheelai and Lemo and that's it, nothing more? I mean like in the first Broly movie, when he goes LSSJ and actually speaks. Because in this movie, once he goes Ikari, SSJ or SSJ Full Power he is out of control and seems like a second Kale who goes Berserker and won't say much...
I've been wondering the same thing. Old Broly may have had poor motivations but he played the overpowered psychopath very well when he transformed. New Broly is out of control but not evil, so where does his character go when transformed? I'm trying to imagine what his dialogue, if any, could be.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:13 pm

TysonWine wrote:
I've been wondering the same thing. Old Broly may have had poor motivations but he played the overpowered psychopath very well when he transformed. New Broly is out of control but not evil, so where does his character go when transformed? I'm trying to imagine what his dialogue, if any, could be.
While calm he's not overly talkative at first but is pure and uneducated, unlike Goku. Unlike Goku he has a deep inner rage he cannot seem to control which is why Paragus built his colar. Interestingly he seems to understand that he's being used but cannot bring himself to turn of his father despite the fact he could kill him.

While fighting Goku and Vegeta he just gets angrier and angrier, nothing Goku or anyone else says can get through to him. When he see's his father has been killed he goes Super Saiyan for the first time and goes completely berserk.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Doctor. wrote:I'm not saying Paragus is less loving. I'm saying they're excessively presenting him as an evil bastard to make us sympathize with Broly. I don't need characters telling me in my face that Broly is being controlled by Paragus and that's a bad thing and poor little Broly he's such a tragic creature, I can see that very clearly.
Doctor. wrote:Whether you believe the story was well presented or not, both the visuals and Paragus' monologues present a very clear story: the story of a man who loved his son, or at least was concerned for his well-being, and changed to see him as nothing more than a tool for revenge after witnessing his barbarism firsthand. The shot of Paragus holding Broly's hand as they're both about to die is more than enough to lay to rest this claim that Paragus didn't have any "revealing qualities of him being inherently kind to Broly."
Actually, from the summary, both versions of Paragus don't seem that different. Your rant just sounds like "old is good, new is bad", which isn't surprising considering your general attitude towards Super, which does question how much weight your opinion actually has. If the narutoforum guy's summary is to be trusted, I fail to see how you can say that movie 8's versions of the characters are better since in this movie they're either the same or more fleshed out.

Anyone can embellish anything with pretty words and that's what you're doing with Paragus. Sure, it's a nice drawing of him holding Broli's hand and looking all worried but saying he loved his son and then got emotionally numb and turned into an asshole is pretty much reaching. He can care about his son all he wants but it's clear Broli is first and foremost a tool for him to use - which is expected behavior of a Saiyajin, by the way - and the movie shows this when Paragus happily leaves Broli to die on the planet when he thinks he can't calm him down again.

Also, I might be misremembering but weren't you the one complaining about Toriyama's modern "trend" of introducing kind Saiyajin? Because your version of Paragus is very much like that...

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:21 pm

In case none's mentioned it yet, for you power levels lovers Paragus is about 4200. Making him slightly stronger then Nappa.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Miracles wrote:Well done fellas. You were right about Gogeta being in the movie. :clap:
Komodo is the one you should be congratulating actually.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:29 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:So apparently after they successfully fuse, Piccolo asks them to go immediately but gogeta spends time thinking about a name. Poor Freeza :lol:
"I am your ruler Lord Fre...!?" SMASH

(A few moments later) "You fealthy MonkAAHH!?" CRUSH

(A Half Hour Later) "This is my ultimate form Golden FreOOF!!!" BANG

(Another Half Hour Later) Were...gasp…are...those...lowlife...gasp...saiyAAAAHH!!!" BREAK

(A few more painful moments later) "Whimper...daddy I don't want to be on Earth anymore."

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:In case none's mentioned it yet, for you power levels lovers Paragus is about 4200. Making him slightly stronger then Nappa.
Not bad considering the guy is old as dirt

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:33 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Miracles wrote:Well done fellas. You were right about Gogeta being in the movie. :clap:
Na. U should be congratulating the people who called Gogeta as soon as the 3 movies that were being re-released in theaters were announced and saw Fusion Reborn. I’m proud to say i was one of them.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:35 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
Na. U should be congratulating the people who called Gogeta as soon as the 3 movies that were being re-released in theaters were announced and saw Fusion Reborn. I’m proud to say i was one of them.
And who is gonna congratulate me for calling Broly in 2015? Granted, one movie too early BUT!
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:37 pm

Cetra wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
And who is gonna congratulate me for calling Broly in 2015? Granted, one movie too early BUT!
If we look at the guidelines of “Calling Something”...

ahem
*pulls out list of rules*

You only qualify for congratulations if you called Broly being in this specific movie BEFORE he was officially revealed.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Yo, the way the voice actors were introduced like WWE fighters at the World premiere was awesome. And that announce was straight fire! :clap:

As for the spoilers, besides that DB Minus exists and Freeza's stupid gag, I like everything. It's funny because I like everything new about the Saiyans past, except what was covered in DB Minus. That trash is really a lost cause.

BrolyxChiraixLemo interactions seems like it will live up to my expectations.

UI not being in the movie makes me glad. I thought they would overuse it like they always do with new stuff, but this still isn't the case.

I'm actually surprised how the "Goku finally" thing is actually good. I was expecting something disappointing, but Goku calling himself Kakarrot for the first time will be a cool moment.

I'm glad Freeza surived, but I would wish he would actually starting to gather strong allies to accomplish his goals. The evil ones, not this height bullshit.
I'm tired of his infinite army and I would like something more in line with what Blackbeard (One Piece) and Shigaraki (Boku No Hero Academia) are doing.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:43 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Cetra wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Na. U should be congratulating the people who called Gogeta as soon as the 3 movies that were being re-released in theaters were announced and saw Fusion Reborn. I’m proud to say i was one of them.

ahem

You only qualify for congratulations if you called Broly being in this specific movie BEFORE he was officially revealed.
Offical Answer: Upon reviewing your clame, we the Kanzenshuu Board Members of the "Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"" thread, after much scrutiny, cross examination and double checking, have come to the conclusions that we cannot award you with the recondition you desire.

If you feel that our ruling is inaccurate please go to our complaints department. You can find it at our office, on the basement level, in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Cetra wrote:

ahem

Offical Answer: Upon reviewing your clame, we the Kanzenshuu Board Members of the "Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"" thread, after much scrutiny, cross examination and double checking, have come to the conclusions that we cannot award you with the recondition you desire.

If you feel that our ruling is inaccurate please got to our complaints department. You can find it at our office, on the basement level, in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'.
Me or Cetra? Because if its me, I'm more than ready to file a complaint about the madness that is this system of “Who gets Congratulated for Calling It”.

You’ll be hearing from my lawyers soon enough!
Last edited by AnimeNation101 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Na. U should be congratulating the people who called Gogeta as soon as the 3 movies that were being re-released in theaters were announced and saw Fusion Reborn. I’m proud to say i was one of them.
I don't live in United States so I don't know actually which one came first: those re-release or Komodo.

Either way, I have already congratulated Komodo ever since he revealed Gogeta to be in XV2 back in July or August.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:49 pm

Is Chirai a love interest for Broly?