Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Sora Saiyan wrote:Thinking this new ‘villain’ might be Yamoshi.
Yamoshi is a pure hearted Saiyan, there's no reason for he to be the villain.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:26 pm

I like it. The animation style is old school, but quality old school.

I got some serious Super Saiyan 4 vibes from Goku's opponent.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:30 pm

The animation looks like something out of the Digimon movie. I like the look but it doesn't feel like "Dragon Ball style animation" to me personally. Also Goku's transition into his fighting pose looked very awkward. Like he meant to look cool, screwed it up but just rolled with it. OmG it's SS4 Radtiz!... I kid, I kid.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:33 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Yeah, that’s why I used inverted commas, I don’t think he is a villain, but it was just the way he appeared to be a villain. Need wait to see if the guy is actually evil before I can truly make up my mind on if it is him.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:36 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Btw, can’t we move this thread to the Super section of this website? Considering it is now confirmed to be a Dragon Ball “Super” Movie.
This. But I guess the mods thought the discussions would be to hectic.
Feels over Reals.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:36 pm

Sora Saiyan wrote:Yeah, that’s why I used inverted commas, I don’t think he is a villain, but it was just the way he appeared to be a villain. Need wait to see if the guy is actually evil before I can truly make up my mind on if it is him.
Also isn't he dead? I hope the new villain is actually someone fresh (though still a Saiyan) and never foreshadowed before.
Last edited by jeffbr92 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:37 pm

I was here from the beginning saying how this movie should be released worldwide, and it seems like they are really doing it!
A movie about Saiyans, with new awesome designs and colors, releasing worldwide, written by Toriyama - this is everything I could have asked for, really.

I'm very curious about that new villain, he is definitely a Saiyan. Maybe he is an ancient Saiyan from the past? Could he be the ancestor to all the Saiyans, or the one who blew up Sadala and somehow survived/was sealed away? This is all very dope and I'm so happy we will get a new Saiyan villain, and it seems like Toriyama has been saving him for this occasion for a long time!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:39 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote:Yeah, that’s why I used inverted commas, I don’t think he is a villain, but it was just the way he appeared to be a villain. Need wait to see if the guy is actually evil before I can truly make up my mind on if it is him.
Also isn't he dead? I hope the new villain is actually someone fresh (though still a Saiyan) and new never foreshadowed before.
Yeah, according to Toriyama's interview, Yamoshi fell in battle after becoming a Super Saiyan because he was outnumbered and exhausted himself. After that his spirit wandered. If he was able to be taken down by normal Saiyans like that it doesn't seem like he'd pose any sort of challenge to Goku.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:41 pm

emperior wrote:I'm very curious about that new villain, he is definitely a Saiyan. Maybe he is an ancient Saiyan from the past?
He doesn't seem to be wearing what you'd expect a "modern day" saiyan to so he could be someone who's just been alive for hundreds of years, was sealed away like king piccolo or and hopefully not, brought back to life by someone.

I hope we get his full design next week.
Sora Saiyan wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Yeah, that’s why I used inverted commas, I don’t think he is a villain, but it was just the way he appeared to be a villain. Need wait to see if the guy is actually evil before I can truly make up my mind on if it is him.
Pure hearted by saiyan standards. for all we know he's a piece of sh*t when compared to what we consider as "pure hearted".

Another interesting idea is he could be who Yamoshi was fighting and I think lost to so it's up to Goku and Vegeta to put an end to him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 pm

sintzu wrote:
emperior wrote:I'm very curious about that new villain, he is definitely a Saiyan. Maybe he is an ancient Saiyan from the past?
He doesn't seem to be wearing what you'd expect a "modern day" saiyan to so he could be someone who's just been alive for hundreds of years, was sealed away like king piccolo or and hopefully not, brought back to life by someone.

They promised something after the latest episode of Super, so hopefully it's an extended version of this teaser or just something else to further hype us up for this movie!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:46 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Also isn't he dead? I hope the new villain is actually someone fresh (though still a Saiyan) and new never foreshadowed before.
Yeah, but with his soul wandering it could work strangely. Maybe he could’ve gained power in that time (possibly whenever a SSJG ritual was attempted/completed), and somebody could allow him to come back for a day, or just some period of time. Anything could happen to get him there if it is him. I’m not saying I want it to be, but with Toriyama mentioning him reasonably recently, and now we have info about the new film being about Freeza and the Saiyans, I couldn’t think of a better link. But a new character could be created that has a link with the two, just tryna speculate off of previous information given.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:55 pm

sintzu wrote:

Might be looking too much into things, but could the ancient Saiyan have been engulfed in ice? Maybe that's not even Earth, but Sadala. When everyone comes back to life after the ToP he gets "reactivated" and that's how he only returns now.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:00 pm

A world wide release,damn that is a smart move from Toei.
    The new art style look fantastic, can't wait to see more footage of this movie.

Super Saiyan Swagger
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:00 pm

I'm sure Goku and Vegeta are going to be the stars of the film, but I'm hoping to see Gohan, Piccolo, Goten, Trunks, Krillin, Hit, Cabba, Kale and Caulifla in on the action. That would be a lot of fun.

I can't even begin to imagine how they'll animate a character like Hit in this kind of film.

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:09 pm

So the worldwide release is legit?

If so, great. :thumbup:

sintzu
    Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:09 pm

Draconic wrote:
    sintzu wrote:

Might be looking too much into things, but could the ancient Saiyan have been engulfed in ice? Maybe that's not even Earth, but Sadala. When everyone comes back to life after the ToP he gets "reactivated" and that's how he only returns now.
    The idea of this being on Sadal has been going around for awhile. With this being their origins, maybe the saiyans came from U6 but some got moved to u7 somehow and started their own saiyan planet there.

Toriyama brought up Freeza in his last comment so I wonder how he fits into all this.
    July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
    Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:16 pm

I guess a worldwide release could mean that maybe Toei and Funimation work out something out. It feels too early to me for the movie to get a English dub so soon since I would imagine Funimation would want to hear the Japanese voices first before they can dub it with a proper script.
    She/Her
    PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
    LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

emperior
    I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:18 pm

Draconic wrote:
    sintzu wrote:

I had the same idea, similar to what happened to Broly in Multiverse this Saiyan could have resisted in space by going into a long hibernation.
    悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

OLKv3
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:20 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
    Grimlock wrote:
    This looks good, though I didn't like it how Goku muscles were on it, but they always can improve and I love how fluid it looks.
    Luso Saiyan wrote:
    kn83 wrote:I'm also mixed on the art design, but the animation itself looks more fluid than BoG and RoF.
    One was sacrificed at the expense of the other. If I had to choose, I'd stick to approach they took to the last two movies.
    [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    Dbzfan94 wrote:It looks like a Saiyan before they had the armor. Maybe Yamoshi?
    Or ancient Broly!
    OLKv3 wrote:Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not
    Don't you remember that the teaser of RoF had a scene of Goku turning into a SSJ with his old gi, something that never happened in the actual movie?
    I wasn't being smart, I legit couldn't tell if he was just being smart to the guy because he said REALLY?!?! lmao.

AnimeNation101
    I Live Here

Re: Official "DB (Super) 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:27 pm

It’s a long shot but what if this new villain was actually a known important ancient Saiyan criminal by the Galactic Patrol and maybe he was captured long ago, never to be seen or heard from again until he breaks out in this movie.

The only problem with all this speculation is we don’t know how any Saiyan could be strong enough to pose a threat.

I also have a theory where someone resurrected Yamoshi’s body with his spirit returning to it put the same person used some kind of magic to turn them savage and evil. Sounds like a Towa situation.

He has SSJ4 eyes but that could just be an art decision to show how savage he is.
    I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"