Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:12 pm

Noah wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I'm so happy that Broly lives by the end of the film. I hope they get more mileage out of him in future storylines.
Wasn't you the guy who hated the concept of Kale and despises the whole 'Broly' thing among this franchise? You don't really seem like yourself today, mate :)
Kale got a decent character arc and became a tolerable character in the end.

And with Broly, as much I hated his characterisation, the pure premise of his character alone is wonderful. And something that was terribly squandered back in the 90s. And I really hoped that if they were going to reboot Broly as whole, they would utilize him better in storylines and flesh out his character out more to be more than just a generic doomsday villain.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Just so I know going into the next coming months, what is the policy regarding spoilers for the movies? I know for the series when we got updates and TV guide leaks it was regularly discussed. But with the movie not do out for another month and already some heavy details being leaked from the YouTube community, I just wanna know so I know what to avoid posting or viewing content wise

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:28 pm

zarmack wrote:Having Whis be around to distract Broly just kills most of the film's tension. We all know that Whis could one-shot Broly easily with a chop to his neck, so it begs the question of why does Goku & Vegeta even bother fighting Broly if Whis is there to handle it for them.

What is it with Toriyama and tension-less storytelling? Even absurd comedies need some sort of meaningful conflict in order for them to work, and Toryiama can't even seem to do that nowadays smh. Both Toei and Toyotaro (when they are not bound by Toriyama's outline) are better at creating dramatic and high-stakes storylines than modern Toriyama.
Because Whis isn't handling anything. He's interesed in Goku, Vegeeta and Earth's food but, otherwise, he just doesn't care. I'm pretty sure if they got killed somehow in a way he couldn't do anything about it, he'd end up shrugging it off.

Toriyama doesn't seem so fond of violence and "gore" like before. It isn't a case of him not being able to do it but rather not wanting to do it and there's nothing wrong about that.

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheNingen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:29 pm

zarmack wrote:Having Whis be around to distract Broly just kills most of the film's tension. We all know that Whis could one-shot Broly easily with a chop to his neck, so it begs the question of why does Goku & Vegeta even bother fighting Broly if Whis is there to handle it for them.

This is why I posted earlier that Broly should kill Beerus in an all out battle early in the film. This would immediately establish Broly's threat level to Goku & Vegeta (as well as the audience) and it would prevent Whis from doing anything at all since Angels get "deactivated" when their Hakaishin dies. Golden Freeza instead of Whis could have been used to distract Broly while Goku & Vegeta fuse.

Also, the fact that the cast is unlikely to find out Beerus' secret of being responsible for the destruction of Planet Vegeta is another disappointment. This would have been a great reason for Broly & Paragus to target Beerus (with Freeza being the one who lets the secret out) and it would increase the friction between Vegeta and Beerus. After all, one of the reasons Vegeta started training under Whis was to surpass the GoDs along with Goku, so him finding out that Beerus is responsible for the U7 Saiyan's genocide would definitely be a huge motivator for him wanting to surpass and kill Beerus.

What is it with Toriyama and tension-less storytelling? Even absurd comedies need some sort of meaningful conflict in order for them to work, and Toryiama can't even seem to do that nowadays smh. Both Toei and Toyotaro (when they are not bound by Toriyama's outline) are better at creating dramatic and high-stakes storylines than modern Toriyama.

Yes, we do know Whis could. But we also know he won't. Why is everyone forgetting the point that Whis said angels don't fight? It's been said several times Whis only 'fought' when he was training somebody. In a real fight, he's to remain neutral. It's also been shown many times he purposely doesn't intervene or help just to let Goku and Vegeta figure out things on their own. I do not understand why this concept and plot element gets ignored so frequently because it's genuinely baffling.

Vegeta's constantly shown he's moved on. He doesn't care as much about the genocide of his race because he knows they were awful people. Vegeta cares about what it means to be a Saiyan and he cared about ruling over them. He's rarely shown thinking about his father or anyone of the past. Vegeta wouldn't target Beerus over that. Vegeta cares more about the power the Saiyans had moreso than them as a people.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:31 pm

alakazam^ wrote:

Because Whis isn't handling anything. He's interesed in Goku, Vegeeta and Earth's food but, otherwise, he just doesn't care. I'm pretty sure if they got killed somehow in a way he couldn't do anything about it, he'd end up shrugging it off.

Toriyama doesn't seem so fond of violence and "gore" like before. It isn't a case of him not being able to do it but rather not wanting to do it and there's nothing wrong about that.
Poor argument when he basically saved them from dying by rewinding time in ROF, don't see a reason why he wouldn't do it again.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:42 pm

TheNingen wrote:

This is why I posted earlier that Broly should kill Beerus in an all out battle early in the film. This would immediately establish Broly's threat level to Goku & Vegeta (as well as the audience) and it would prevent Whis from doing anything at all since Angels get "deactivated" when their Hakaishin dies. Golden Freeza instead of Whis could have been used to distract Broly while Goku & Vegeta fuse.

Also, the fact that the cast is unlikely to find out Beerus' secret of being responsible for the destruction of Planet Vegeta is another disappointment. This would have been a great reason for Broly & Paragus to target Beerus (with Freeza being the one who lets the secret out) and it would increase the friction between Vegeta and Beerus. After all, one of the reasons Vegeta started training under Whis was to surpass the GoDs along with Goku, so him finding out that Beerus is responsible for the U7 Saiyan's genocide would definitely be a huge motivator for him wanting to surpass and kill Beerus.

Yes, we do know Whis could. But we also know he won't. Why is everyone forgetting the point that Whis said angels don't fight? It's been said several times Whis only 'fought' when he was training somebody. In a real fight, he's to remain neutral. It's also been shown many times he purposely doesn't intervene or help just to let Goku and Vegeta figure out things on their own. I do not understand why this concept and plot element gets ignored so frequently because it's genuinely baffling.

Vegeta's constantly shown he's moved on. He doesn't care as much about the genocide of his race because he knows they were awful people. Vegeta cares about what it means to be a Saiyan and he cared about ruling over them. He's rarely shown thinking about his father or anyone of the past. Vegeta wouldn't target Beerus over that. Vegeta cares more about the power the Saiyans had moreso than them as a people.
1. The whole "Vegeta doesn't care about his race" claim has been debunked multiple times already:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=43021&p=1551129#p1551129

2. Whis has personally intervened in the show's main conflicts. Remember RoF when Whis turned back time so that Goku could kill Freeza before he blows up the Earth? That removes any tension and consequence for the story, and lets not forget the fact that Whis can bring people back to life on the spot (like he did to Freeza after the ToP). So yes, having Whis around at all in the Broly film is a big problem.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:50 pm

We have seen Whis helping the Z warriors in different situations, but never seen him fighting nor defeating an ennemy, so it doesn't really kill the film's tension. Whis is just there as a support who won't fight and it's better having him around than Beerus who can hakai anything.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Whis is a great character but his powers are absolutely deus ex machina. There is no realm or reason why he gets involved and why he doesn’t it’s just whatever the story demands something from him.

Dragon Ball already had a lot of things to reverse consequences like Senzu Beans, Healing from Dende, even the Dragon Balls but at least I feel there were more limitations to these things. With Whis it’s more abitrary what he will do and what he wont. But the issue for me is we know he can do a whole lot.
Last edited by Kinokima on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:53 pm

BrolyKale wrote:We have seen Whis helping the Z warriors in different situations, but never seen him fighting nor defeating an ennemy, so it doesn't really kill the film's tension. Whis is just there as a support who won't fight and it's better having him around than Beerus who can hakai anything.
Hakai only works on targets weaker than its user. Its a no limits fallacy to assume Beerus can Hakai anyone.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:07 pm

Bullza wrote:
Rakurai wrote:If people don't want to be spoiled, then they are welcome to stay out of this thread.
It doesn't work that way. Spoilers shouldn't be posted in this thread really especially without the tags but they are. Stay out this thread? I just saw someone drop spoilers in the strength thread.

Can't go on YouTube either because all these Dragon Ball YouTube Channels feed you these spoilers for nothing more than to get views. Don't watch the videos? Doesn't matter, I saw the movie trailer so I'll get a bunch of recommended videos of "Dragon Ball Super: Broly *Spoilers"" but then they'll still show a fan made image of Gogeta anyway.

It spoils it for everyone else so a handful of people can get some ad revenue.
So when the movie drops in Japan in Dec., are those who've watched it not allowed to discuss it on this thread either?

I am of the camp that this thread shouldn't remain spoiler-free until then. We've literally been getting spoiled for the movie thanks to trailers, merchandise line-ups, video game datamines, character design reveal sheets, etc. I also have issues with the manga thread being locked until the chapter is officially released every 21st of the month but that's just me.

Maybe open up a thread where spoilers can go. I really do find this notion of hiding movie spoilers in a thread where we should discuss the movie quite ridiculous.
Last edited by Rakurai on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Rakurai wrote:
Bullza wrote:
Rakurai wrote:If people don't want to be spoiled, then they are welcome to stay out of this thread.
It doesn't work that way. Spoilers shouldn't be posted in this thread really especially without the tags but they are. Stay out this thread? I just saw someone drop spoilers in the strength thread.

Can't go on YouTube either because all these Dragon Ball YouTube Channels feed you these spoilers for nothing more than to get views. Don't watch the videos? Doesn't matter, I saw the movie trailer so I'll get a bunch of recommended videos of "Dragon Ball Super: Broly *Spoilers"" but then they'll still show a fan made image of Gogeta anyway.

It spoils it for everyone else so a handful of people can get some ad revenue.
So when the movie drops in Japan in Dec., are those who've watched it not allowed to discuss it on this thread either?

I am of the camp that this thread shouldn't remain spoiler-free until then. We've literally been getting spoiled for the movie thanks to trailers, merchandise line-ups, video game datamines, character design reveal sheets, etc. I also have issues with the manga thread being locked until the chapter is officially released every 21st of the month but that's just me.

Maybe open up a thread where spoilers can go. I really do find this notion of hiding movie spoilers in discussing the movie thread ridiculous.
If you're avoiding spoilers from Dragon Ball then you shouldn't be on ANY Dragon Ball related site any social media where you follow Dragon Ball. It's really not hard guys to stay away from it. The movie is a hot topic so of course it's going to be talked about in the movie thread, strength comparisons, general thread etc.... If people are talking about the new stuff such as Broly, the last thing they are concerned about is Boo's power in the Boo arc or how good the Zamasu arc was. It's like with anything, you get hyped and talk about the new material rather than the old. If you do Dragon Ball related things then I recommend staying off twitter, facebook, youtube, kanzenshuu, what ever you have. It's not that hard to do, though in 2018 I understand how hard it is to remain from these things, since well... That's all people do now a days. I also agree that it's hard to discuss something when all you see is spoiler tags, who's going to go clicking all of those things for 100 pages? In all honesty I think it's silly that the manga thread is locked every month, I agree there shouldn't be piracy links but if someones just talking about it or curious about what's going to happen there's nothing wrong with that. We can't help it that leaks happen, it's the same with movies you get bits of information up until the release no matter if it's an intended leak or not. If arguments break out, issue strikes. I'm sure everyone here curious about the manga finds a way to see those pages one way or another. it kills all the hype and discussion when its finally officially released if everyone talks about it some-wheres else.

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheNingen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:02 pm

zarmack wrote:
TheNingen wrote:

1. The whole "Vegeta doesn't care about his race" claim has been debunked multiple times already:

2. Whis has personally intervened in the show's main conflicts. Remember RoF when Whis turned back time so that Goku could kill Freeza before he blows up the Earth? That removes any tension and consequence for the story, and lets not forget the fact that Whis can bring people back to life on the spot (like he did to Freeza after the ToP). So yes, having Whis around at all in the Broly film is a big problem.
No. It really hasn't been debunked lmao. It hasn't been debunked at all. Super Vegeta has cared about these 3 things over all 1) Not being surpassed by Goku 2)Family 3) The POTENTIAL of his people.

Look at the Battle of Gods arc. Look at every Super Arc. Vegeta cares about the power and potential. He trains Cabba to help him get stronger because he views him as pathetic otherwise. See how easily I can make counterclaims and call your points 'debunked'? There's several in plot clues to show he cares more about the power of the Saiyans more than anything. He cares about superiority.

When has Whis actively fought somebody...? He rewound time to teach Goku a lesson to stop being so non-chalant and he's made it clear he wouldn't do it again. He wants Goku and Vegeta to replace Beerus. It's why he's training them to begin with. THAT is his interest in them, even if they say they don't wish to be GoDs

Burakku

Post by Burakku » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Yup this movie would be perfect for Freeza to spill the truth about Beerus.

Still interested in Paragus fate

But on Wednesday we will get our full spoilers after all.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:53 pm

TheNingen wrote:
zarmack wrote:
TheNingen wrote:

No. It really hasn't been debunked lmao. It hasn't been debunked at all. Super Vegeta has cared about these 3 things over all 1) Not being surpassed by Goku 2)Family 3) The POTENTIAL of his people.

Look at the Battle of Gods arc. Look at every Super Arc. Vegeta cares about the power and potential. He trains Cabba to help him get stronger because he views him as pathetic otherwise. See how easily I can make counterclaims and call your points 'debunked'? There's several in plot clues to show he cares more about the power of the Saiyans more than anything. He cares about superiority.

When has Whis actively fought somebody...? He rewound time to teach Goku a lesson to stop being so non-chalant and he's made it clear he wouldn't do it again. He wants Goku and Vegeta to replace Beerus. It's why he's training them to begin with. THAT is his interest in them, even if they say they don't wish to be GoDs
Yes, it has been debunked. You failed to address any of my arguments in the link. Why would Vegeta beg Goku to avenge them in the Namek arc, be so eager to go visit Planet Sadala and wish them back in the ToP arc if he only cared about their "potential"? You are not making any logical sense and are really just projecting you biases on the topic. Even Ryo Horikawa himself thinks that Vegeta would want to kill Beerus if he finds out that Beerus ordered Planet Vegeta's destruction: https://youtu.be/pBHGXBBZeas?t=2034

Whis rewinding time at all is a problem. It negated any conflict and consequences from the RoF story line and made an already bad film even worse. Whis doing anything at all to help Goku & Vegeta fight Broly is a problem for the movie because of his abilities. There is no defending this, its a tension killer.

Burakku

Post by Burakku » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:04 pm

This Vegeta doesn't care about planet Vegeta being blown up is really some sort of ridiculous thoughts.

He cares for sure or his last words wouldn't be begging Goku to avenge them, caring for U6 as he does or in RoF even mentioning that Freeza has blown up his planet.

Not even saying his whole talk about Saiyan pride, still calling himself a prince and wanting to give Bulla a saiyan name

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Xeztin wrote:It's really not hard guys to stay away from it.
We shouldn't have to. You look at the biggest movie of the year, Infinity War, and that was safe to talk about up to the day before it was released.

Yet here we have this movie and we already know what happens over a month beforehand. It's one thing to stay away once the movie releases but it's pretty pathetic that you have to be wary of spoilers this far out. I didn't click on any spoilers tags and still saw them both in and outaide this thread.

Japan are notorious for doing stuff like this. They're terrible for it and it doesn't help that all these clickbait channels will pounce on it now too.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:37 pm

Bullza wrote:
Xeztin wrote:It's really not hard guys to stay away from it.
We shouldn't have to. You look at the biggest movie of the year, Infinity War, and that was safe to talk about up to the day before it was released.

Yet here we have this movie and we already know what happens over a month beforehand. It's one thing to stay away once the movie releases but it's pretty pathetic that you have to be wary of spoilers this far out. I didn't click on any spoilers tags and still saw them both in and outaide this thread.

Japan are notorious for doing stuff like this. They're terrible for it and it doesn't help that all these clickbait channels will pounce on it now too.
I do agree you have the clickbaiters and Japan loves doing it. But as you know anything that comes from Japan with this franchise someone's going to find it, scan it, post it, etc... I'm trying to say your anger should be towards Japan as it is their fault, fans are just being fans when they pick up on it. In this time of age you more or less have to stay away from the internet to keep from being spoiled. Japan loves releasing tidbits, and honestly the United States is doing it too. They announced Rick Grimes "Dying" before the season of Walking Dead even started (And he's still alive in the comics... which would have made it a bigger shock)
Burakku wrote:This Vegeta doesn't care about planet Vegeta being blown up is really some sort of ridiculous thoughts.

He cares for sure or his last words wouldn't be begging Goku to avenge them, caring for U6 as he does or in RoF even mentioning that Freeza has blown up his planet.

Not even saying his whole talk about Saiyan pride, still calling himself a prince and wanting to give Bulla a saiyan name
I think in Vegeta's eyes the Saiyan's were avenged when Goku killed Freeza on Namek, he became at peace with that. Of course he still hates Freeza, but at what point do you let it go? He knows the Saiyan's weren't innocent angels, and probably knows it had to happen sooner or later. You can't go causing havok throughout the universe and not expect some sort of ramification or notification from tyrants and Beerus. I think after the Cell arc Vegeta seemed to realize the way of living like the Saiyan's did isn't a way to live at all. (As far as living to kill). From Earth's point of view, the Saiyan's would have been intergalactic bloodthirsty criminals, perhaps Vegeta adopted this view much like Goku did.

Burakku

Post by Burakku » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:46 pm

And still have not the slightest doubt that he would care that Beerus ordered it.

He mentioned it to Freeza just at ROF. Why if he doesn't care that much anymore
Instead hebcos have mentioned the humiliation of Freeza to him

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:56 pm

PFM18 wrote:He wont dispose of Broly, he wont so much as touch Broly, and he sure as hell isnt going to rewind time again.
Obviously he won't, there wouldn't be a story if he did. The point is that he could, and that's what takes the tension away.
PFM18 wrote:If he is so willing to help why didnt he go to the future with them? why not rewind time when Infinte Zamasu happened?
Because the writing obviously can't allow for Whis to solve all the problems so they put arbitrary restrictions on him like "the Gods can't help" even though it was Whis who rewound time in RoF, it was Whis who helped find Goku Black's real identity and it was Whis who created a new timeline for future Trunks. Whis helps whenever he wants to help, which is whenever Goku & co are in danger (which is why he'll distract Broly so they can perform the fusion dance), the writing is just hypocritical.
Broly could blow up the planet and Whis wouldn't give a shit. He already messed with stuff once when he wasn't supposed to it obviously isnt going to happen again.
You sure? Because he "messed with stuff" more than once. ResF, Zamasu killing Gowasu, Trunks' new timeline. That's 3 times already. 4 with the new movie. Whis obviously cares about the planet; he likes Goku & co and he likes Earth's food.
we just know he'll be avoiding him for distraction purposes
Yes, the fight is immediately tensionless because Whis is on the sidelines and can take care of Broly if the situation gets too out of hand.
But hey, we haven't been objective about modern DB up to this point, so why start now?
Less of this kind of whining, I'm not a nursery.

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheNingen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:18 pm

zarmack wrote:
TheNingen wrote:
zarmack wrote:

Yes, it has been debunked. You failed to address any of my arguments in the link. Why would Vegeta beg Goku to avenge them in the Namek arc, be so eager to go visit Planet Sadala and wish them back in the ToP arc if he only cared about their "potential"? You are not making any logical sense and are really just projecting you biases on the topic. Even Ryo Horikawa himself thinks that Vegeta would want to kill Beerus if he finds out that Beerus ordered Planet Vegeta's destruction: https://youtu.be/pBHGXBBZeas?t=2034

Whis rewinding time at all is a problem. It negated any conflict and consequences from the RoF story line and made an already bad film even worse. Whis doing anything at all to help Goku & Vegeta fight Broly is a problem for the movie because of his abilities. There is no defending this, its a tension killer.
I really didn't. You posted clips from the Freeza arc. Congrats. You ignored the argument that was brought up in that Vegeta has moved on since the Freeza arc. He cares about the pride of the Saiyans. Again, when after the Freeza saga has he mentioned his care for his father? When has he fought for his people? In the Buu Saga it's already shown his main care is his family on Earth now. If he didn't care about the potential and power of the Universe 6 Saiyans, he wouldn't have tried to make Cabba stronger or train him. You using clips from a different continuity and different moment in Vegeta's progress doesn't dismiss anything, especially when there's nothing to support your argument now. The voice actor's opinion holds zero weight because he doesn't decide where the character goes. And right now, the writing of Super has made zero suggestions that Vegeta is interested in avenging his race or that he cares a great deal for them, because he sure as hell hasn't given any thought to them. Talking about 'not being logical' or 'projecting bias' is completely irrelevant and unnecessary. Leave it out of your argument.

He still won't do anything to actually DEAL with Broly. And because I don't want this whole topic to consume a thread that is irrelevant to the movie, I'm leaving it here.