Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Simere » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:37 pm

sintzu wrote:
Simere wrote:It's not hard to maintain as he showed throughout the original DB run, and trying to avoid getting too strong just for its own sake will only result in lesser stories. There's no inherent value in it and it's not what DB built itself on.
Beerus was very strong in BOG but we had to wait all the way to jiren to get someone like that again.
I don't dispute DBS has been slower. I've long argued the ever shifting goal post that is Beerus is a major flaw of the series because it hinders a sense of progression. The ToP was my favorite arc in large part because things finally felt like they were moving forward. I know you want to take it slow and not even go past the angels before we both die, but I'm already ready to see what's beyond them.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:07 pm

WittyUsername wrote:The fact that angels are supposed to be neutral only serves to make me question why exactly Toei depicted Mojito the way they did. His manga counterpart simply sighed in response to Universe 9 getting erased, while his anime counterpart gave a weirdly ominous smirk that made many people believe he was evil.
Being neutral in taking action is not the same as being neutral in having an opinion. Just like how a judge has to be impartial in their veredicts but can have an alignment with certain political views.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:The fact that angels are supposed to be neutral only serves to make me question why exactly Toei depicted Mojito the way they did. His manga counterpart simply sighed in response to Universe 9 getting erased, while his anime counterpart gave a weirdly ominous smirk that made many people believe he was evil.
Being neutral in taking action is not the same as being neutral in having an opinion. Just like how a judge has to be impartial in their veredicts but can have an alignment with certain political views.
I just kind of figured that when they say the angels are neutral, they mean that they’re beings who not only don’t get involved in the business of others, but who also have no real sense of right or wrong. It just seems weird to have a character like that display such strong emotions.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:09 pm

Simere wrote: I've long argued the ever shifting goal post that is Beerus is a major flaw of the series because it hinders a sense of progression.
Is not like they couldn't make Broly stronger than Beerus either, man
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:22 pm

sintzu wrote:Wouldn't that just result in Beerus dying ?
As explained by Whis in the Future Trunks Arc (paraphrasing):

"When a Hakaishin that we attend dies, we ceases to function until another Hakaishin is appointed to us"
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:17 pm

Does anyone think that Vic Mignogna will come back to play Broly? The poor guy has said on several occasions that playing Broly destroys his voice and he never looks forward to playing the character in the movies and video games. They're doing a different approach of the character in this film, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do a recast. But even still, I think he's great as Broly and do hope that he's in this movie.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:35 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:People already building expectations for Gogeta based off the most flimsy reasoning the U.S screenings. If it's a movie/special to depict Saiyans those are probably the three I would have chosen anyway, hell when Toei announced them nobody was like the villain is Broly, but know people acting like Gogeta is semi confirmed? Come on now.

I'm just glad in a few weeks all this fusion talk will (hopefully) be put to bed.
There’s also Vegetto fighting Cumber (a powerful Saiyan) in the DBH promotional anime and Goku needing to fuse with the audience to beat Broly God (another powerful Saiyan) in the 4D movie that fuels the speculation of a fusion between Goku and Vegeta appearing in this movie.

However, I acknowledge that’s a legitimate point you present about the selection of movies chosen for the US screenings having the most relation to the depiction of Saiyans being the central focus of this movie given one movie depicts the “Legendary Super Saiyan” that is the antagonist of the upcoming film, another movie depicts the history of the Saiyans, and the third movie depicts the strongest Saiyan (a fusion between Goku and Vegeta). You’re right, there is no guarantee a fusion will appear in this movie. Which honestly in my opinion would make the most sense, given:
  • 1. The existence of UI Goku and SSGSSE Vegeta

2. Goku and Vegeta’s personalities (noted by Toriyama himself), not being fond of working together (though they’ve done that a ton since the Future Trunks arc), and being even less fond of fusing together

3. A SSB fusion between Goku and Vegeta, whether it be Vegetto or Gogeta, would inconveniently time out in just mere minutes due to the exuberant amount power such a fusion would produce
But this movie is stated to have a good proportion of fan service, so anything could happen (including retcons). I would also be satisfied in knowing whether or not a fusion will appear in this movie in the coming weeks rather than having to wait multiple more months for that answer.
Last edited by TheShadowEmperor8055 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:36 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Does anyone think that Vic Mignogna will come back to play Broly? The poor guy has said on several occasions that playing Broly destroys his voice and he never looks forward to playing the character in the movies and video games. They're doing a different approach of the character in this film, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do a recast. But even still, I think he's great as Broly and do hope that he's in this movie.
Instead of a recast they could have Vic just do a different voice. His Qrow for example sounds much different than his Broly.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:19 am

Simere wrote:I know you want to take it slow and not even go past the angels before we both die.
That's not...OK that's true but only because I want to get as much out of Toriyama as possible. Once we go past the angels then we'll be nearing the finish line.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:57 am

sintzu wrote:
Simere wrote:I know you want to take it slow and not even go past the angels before we both die.
That's not...OK that's true but only because I want to get as much out of Toriyama as possible. Once we go past the angels then we'll be nearing the finish line.
Squeeze every last drop of Dragon Ball out of him!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:37 am

PFM18 wrote:Squeeze every last drop of Dragon Ball out of him!
That's the way to do it. :clap: We might as well before Toei completely takes over and puts the franchise 6ft under again. :cry:

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:40 am

Or we could just give it a proper ending and not make more Goku timeline story. That's probably the only un-debatable good thing GT did, you can't really come back from ascending beyond mortality. I'm all for going way beyond, visiting every universe and all, but once Toriyama wants to stop, they should stop.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:34 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Does anyone think that Vic Mignogna will come back to play Broly? The poor guy has said on several occasions that playing Broly destroys his voice and he never looks forward to playing the character in the movies and video games. They're doing a different approach of the character in this film, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do a recast. But even still, I think he's great as Broly and do hope that he's in this movie.
If hes not the screaming idiot this time around maybe?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:38 am

Shaddy wrote:I'm all for going way beyond but once Toriyama wants to stop, they should stop.
I don't mind them continuing after him if they take their time and wait a few years before doing so as that'll give them time to think and plan things out and it'll give us time to take all this new material in and appreciate it. There's no way they established the DB room just to stop so as long as it's done right I'm OK with it.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 am

In movie 8 Broly had a pretty smooth voice in his base form even though he barely used it. If it's so hard on Vic they should just let him use that voice for Broly's normal voice and some vocal effects in post like they do for Cooler to get the angry gravelly voice.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:53 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
In movie 8 Broly had a pretty smooth voice in his base form even though he barely used it. If it's so hard on Vic they should just let him use that voice for Broly's normal voice and some vocal effects in post like they do for Cooler to get the angry gravelly voice.
Yeah hopefully NuBroly doesn't say Kakarot a lot...I expect screaming but I think the constant Kakarotting is what did Vic.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:42 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah hopefully NuBroly doesn't say Kakarot a lot...I expect screaming but I think the constant Kakarotting is what did Vic.
I don't think that was just a Vic thing. In Dragon Ball Fusions, where the voices are all still in Japanese, Broly is constantly screaming, "Kakarotto!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:57 am

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah hopefully NuBroly doesn't say Kakarot a lot...I expect screaming but I think the constant Kakarotting is what did Vic.
I don't think that was just a Vic thing. In Dragon Ball Fusions, where the voices are all still in Japanese, Broly is constantly screaming, "Kakarotto!"
I know I just meant that, screaming Kakarot is what probably did Vic in the most, as screaming someone's name constantly is probably harder then just generic regular screams.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:23 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I know I just meant that, screaming Kakarot is what probably did Vic in the most, as screaming someone's name constantly is probably harder then just generic regular screams.
Oh. I see. I misunderstood you. lol

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:01 pm

sintzu wrote:
Toriyama’s continued involvement and stronger enemies aren’t competing agendas to me. I don’t see surpassing the angels as the finish line, I see it as opening the door to a world we can’t now imagine. Mountains beyond mountains.