Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:21 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:we don't know how long Kitaro would air for, could be maybe even little as a cour.
I wouldn't mind as that's how long we'd probably have to wait for the next main arc.
I could be wrong, but didn't the last series run for just one cour?.
I have no idea about it but I highly doubt it'll be some 200 plus episode show.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:01 am

HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Yeah, everything that could be marketable hasn't been marketed at all. It's just an excuse that people throw when they don't like something. "Oh, it's all about the toys and they don't care about the show other than a toy commercial." It just shows their inability to be open-minded.
Kinda of like how everything is fan service. My favorite is that Cali and Kale are SJW pander, because that's obviously the only reason female Saiyans exist.
Eh, the problem is the application. The manga is how people would have preferred it where they are already established threats in their own rite before getting fast-tracked to SSJ status just to make them relevant.
Its hard to argue their presentation in poor in the anime when Kale's sole source of strength is to become emotionally unstable and go berserk rather than being a highly competent figure without needs for a berserk handicap.
They should have been presented as capable from the start and my personal opinion has swung from despise to love these characters just from giving them the development they deserved.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:47 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:we don't know how long Kitaro would air for, could be maybe even little as a cour.
I wouldn't mind as that's how long we'd probably have to wait for the next main arc.
I could be wrong, but didn't the last series run for just one cour?.
There's one from 08 called Hakaba Kitaro that ran for a cour.

There's also one from 07 called Kitaro TV series 5 that ran for 2 years. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... hp?id=7616

Looks like they both aired on FujiTV. One interrupted the other?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:29 am

Judging by the times of their tweets looks like we'll find out the news in just under 12 hours.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:57 am

Hakaba was noitaminA. Fuji late night anime block. A new show is already announced for that block which will air April onwards. It is not Kitaro.

If Kitaro comes back as a TV series, it is taking its original slot which is Sundays 9am. And, yes it will most likely be long running. A year or two should be safe guess.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Hakaba was noitaminA. Fuji late night anime block. A new show is already announced for that block which will air April onwards. It is not Kitaro.

If Kitaro comes back as a TV series, it is taking its original slot which is Sundays 9am. And, yes it will most likely be long running. A year or two should be safe guess.
No way they will take Super off air for 2 years for some vanity show.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:22 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Hakaba was noitaminA. Fuji late night anime block. A new show is already announced for that block which will air April onwards. It is not Kitaro.

DB is making too much $$$ in Japan and internatilnally to be replaced by something that small.

Couldn't DB get moved to another slot ?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:36 pm

There is still the 8.30am slot of Monster Hunter, it was odd that the show ended up getting renewed perhaps they were filling for time? I can't seem to find any info on how long it was renewed for and the second season has had licensing issues.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:42 pm

But, then it would clash with Precure. Toei wouldn't do that. Anyways, it is still an "if". So, people relax. For all we know Kitaro could end up being a movie or a web series.

O and please stop underselling Kitaro. It is an iconic series in Japan and that's what matters to the producers.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:43 pm

sintzu wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:

DB is making too much $$$ in Japan and internatilnally to be replaced by something that small.

Couldn't DB get moved to another slot ?
Other than literally changing dates, i dont see Kitaro and Super airing together

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:But, then it would clash with Precure. Toei wouldn't do that. Anyways, it is still an "if". So, people relax. For all we know Kitaro could end up being a movie or a web series.
But it's equally weird that they would put on break their biggest anime next to One Piece (in Japan), especially for a year or two.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:It is an iconic series in Japan and that's what matters to the producers.
The producers and everyone above them care about $$$ and there's no way it's anywhere close to DB, especially internationally.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:56 pm

DBS ending won't suddenly stop the money train. The manga is going, video games are going, a movie by Toriyama is coming. Ain't no money is being lost.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:DBS ending won't suddenly stop the money train. The manga is going, video games are going, a movie by Toriyama is coming. Ain't no money is being lost.
Movie isn't coming out to the end of the year, the Super manga is nowhere near as big as the anime even in Japan, and lot of the video games get focused thanks to new characters introduced in Super, (see Black, Hit, Jiren, ect). So the money isn't stopping, but it's kinda cutting off some of the money flow.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:00 pm

Yes, that still means money is being made. And, before it loses steam you can damn well be sure they will come up with something.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Yes, that still means money is being made.
But nearly as much, especially if we're taking a year or two.
Kanassa wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:DBS ending won't suddenly stop the money train. The manga is going, video games are going, a movie by Toriyama is coming. Ain't no money is being lost.
There is no guarantee the Manga will continue, it is supposed to be promotion for the anime remember, no anime what is it supposed to promote?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: There is no guarantee the Manga will continue, it is supposed to be promotion for the anime remember, no anime what is it supposed to promote?
The manga is kinda of its own thing now of days, so I can see it still going even without an anime. I just can't imagine much interest in it since it's already pretty niche.
Kanassa wrote:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:29 pm

I'll wait until if it's confirmed later today to write a longer post, but man I wish we'd gotten one more Goku and friends vs a villain arc if this is the end. Tournaments are fine and all, but I wanted to see if they could top Rosé, imo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:35 pm

HeroR wrote:
Movie isn't coming out to the end of the year, the Super manga is nowhere near as big as the anime even in Japan, and lot of the video games get focused thanks to new characters introduced in Super, (see Black, Hit, Jiren, ect). So the money isn't stopping, but it's kinda cutting off some of the money flow.
It just can't be ignored that having a tv anime "advertising" your franchise in a weekly basis traditionally boosts movies, manga sales, games, everything. There's a reason publishers and authors dream with anime adaptations, it's pretty much the holy grail.

The movie is gonna be a hit, no doubt, but it's highly doubtful that a no-anime year would be enough to keep the same huge level of popularity and interest DB is experiencing right now. And the Super manga, as it's not the original work, will become even more irrelevant in Japan if the anime ends. It's just gonna rush to the end of the ToP in a few months and that's it. Other things just don't have the same reach compared to the animation.