Is episode 105 one of the best episodes in the series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Is episode 105 one of the best episodes in the series?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:42 pm

Out of all the episodes in Super or at least in this arc, episode 105 stands out the most to me. (I'm not just saying that because thats the same weekend as my brother's wedding) The character arc Roshi went through and the animation was really good. The rare times we have Goku actually crying because he thought one of his closest friends may have died was really touching. Does anyone else feel the same way?
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Is episode 105 one of the best episodes in the series?

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 am

Take out the Caway vs Roshi fight entirely or at least just rewrite it and yeah it would be one of the best episodes of the series.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:26 am

I honestly don't even remember what happened in the episode...

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:45 am

sangofe wrote:I honestly don't even remember what happened in the episode...
The first Roshi episode. He scared away Caway (some gorgeous fighter), did the mafuba against Dercori (a female dark warrior), and fought Ganos.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:31 am

Torturephile wrote:
sangofe wrote:I honestly don't even remember what happened in the episode...
The first Roshi episode. He scared away Caway (some gorgeous fighter), did the mafuba against Dercori (a female dark warrior), and fought Ganos.
It was nice but certainly not the best of the entire series.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:03 am

There have been better episodes since then but it's still one of the best episodes of Super and I've gone in detail in the past about why I love the episode:
[spoiler]What I really loved the most is how Roshi was respected in-universe. When he seemed to collapse and die, Krillin was in tears and was going to rush back to the arena to help him, even when that wasn't allowed to. And Goku became incredibly distressed, turned SSJB to instantly break free from Maji Kayo and rushed over to revive him and then helped him back onto his feet. The whole sequence was just beautiful and wonderfully played into Roshi previous monologue of what he taught Goku and Krillin under his tutelage. The cherry, or cherry's, on the top was that even Beerus wanted to know his name and while everyone from Universe 7 was concerned was thrilled that Roshi wasn't dead, Roshi reminds Goku that the battle isn’t over yet, even when Goku has to help him back on his feet.

The whole episode felt like it was leaning so heavily on the fourth wall with Ganos reiterating and rephrasing some the complaints that some of the fandom had about Roshi's inclusion into the team. "He's old", "He needs to retire", "He needs to accept his limits and give up" etc. And the episode masterfully addressed this, to not only bring coherency to the plot, but to also seamlessly tie into and further develop the subtle and more outward meanings of his training and his teachings to Goku and Krillin when they were his students as children.

The episode justified Roshi's reintroduction into the main plot, and in such a high stakes arc like this specifically, in such a good way. And made everything about Roshi's relationship with Goku and Krillin come full circle, with how Roshi inspired Goku and Krillin to become better than what he wanted them to be and Goku and Krillin did the same for him as the years went by and they've all become much better people in terms of personality and power because of that wonderful and inspirational cycle.

They handled Roshi's character so well in that episode that it kinda took me by surprise how much I enjoyed it and was invested into what was going on. It was one the best character driven episodes in the franchise.[/spoiler]

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:40 pm

it was a good episode, for me it was impressive, as i thought that a Roshi episode would be boring and wasn't expecting nothing good from that episode...

but for me there are way better episodes, like the Caulifla & Kale vs Goku ones.

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:34 pm

The fights were pretty boring, and it would have been better Roshi died at the end.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:46 pm

It was a good episode, but there are a lot better episodes from this arc like 110, 116, and 125 for example.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:36 pm

It's one of my personal favorites. I love old school Dragonball and the scene where Roshi was charging the Kamehameha got me all in my feels and brought a flood of nostalgia back

Wish Tien and Piccolo got the same respect, but Roshi was the surprise hit of the arc for me.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 pm

I don't know about best but it's my favourite episode out of all of Super. An anthem to Muten-Roshi while giving the character a bit of development which justified his return to action. It was really, really good. :D

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:00 pm

I wouldn't call it the best, only the second half was truly memorable, but it was still a fantastic episode and probably the first episode of the tournament that really impressed me. I would put 107 above it, as well as the special, 114, 116 and 118.

The Roshi stuff was great, I love that it was where we started to see legit emotion from the characters after that hint of it from Gohan at the end of 103. Goku and Krillin freaking out over Roshi was so great to see, especially with so much of the arc spent making it look like Goku doesn't care.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:28 am

It’s one of the best for sure. Hell, I dare say in the entire franchise. It shows that even as an old camper that's been long but surpassed by many fighters, he still proves his martial arts prowess to the point of even gaining a God of Destruction's admiration. Remember, this is the guy that was Goku and Krillin’s first training master and having him brought back to relevance (be it, fighting a bunch of goons) formed a wide smile on my face.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:29 pm

It was pretty well written, I'll give it that.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:32 pm

While the action was weak and the Gag with Caway was dumb, it was one of the best written episode with some memorable moments on top of it, the Roshi episode were the greatest especially 107.Sadly I've never heard from King Ryu after this, I want him to write one more episode after Super ends.
Mostly active on discord.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu May 31, 2018 6:02 am

There is nothing outstanding about 105, why would it be one of the best episodes in the series?

Its certainly not the worst episode ever(even though it is easily one of the weakest of the TOP), however, I fail to see anything really good or redeemable about the episode on rewatch.

Its poorly directed. Poorly storyboarded. Poorly animated with terribly flat art direction and I would say a really weak script that didn't really fully understand Roshi as a character.

Overall, its just an abysmal episode that got a lot of attention because it gave a secondary character some shine.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu May 31, 2018 6:31 am

Not the best in the series but certainly a great one :thumbup:

great mastery of mixing serious and lighthearted moments, the joke lasted 30 secs and then we had a glorious Muten Roshi, this episode was clearly a very well handed homage,
let's not forget who Roshi is and thus all that episode tells us from the narrative,
It was extremely well done as the writers showed they understood this character's legacy and respected it,
Roshi is not as powerful as Z warriors but he showed he still has his place in the DB universe, and that was beautiful,
so not only that,
not only the episode pays homage at Roshi but Roshi also pays homage to his pupils,
we see that he learnt from them "thank you Goku and Krillin you taught me there is no age to stop surpassing one's limits" (or whatever was the exact quote) that was awesome,
the episode was really just, it went straight to the essential, to the emotional of fans, of chars, Roshi was badass and that was great,
him walking around on battlefield looking and analyzing opponents then telling them "so you I know what you do" damn that was cool,
great directing around him all around,
and on top of it all even Beerus acknowledged him "what was that old man's name again?", again that was beautiful,
and chars had their emotional moments and the Kamehameha scene gave me the chills,
I even got caught up by the death scene in the moment, Goku crying man that was intense, how many times does Goku cries in the series,
I was like a kid "wake up wake up" lol

so well all that to say that this was clearly an episode delivering the aspects I love in Dragon Ball and I only wish Super delivered more of it, while I do not consider this episode the best in the series I still rank it very high

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:28 am

just realizing now I misread the thread's title and thought OP asked if it was THE best episode and not ONE OF the best episodes, so then yes I will agree with OP that it's one of the best episodes of Super lol

sorry for double post, would have edited if I could lol

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:49 am

JazzMazz wrote:There is nothing outstanding about 105, why would it be one of the best episodes in the series?

Its certainly not the worst episode ever(even though it is easily one of the weakest of the TOP), however, I fail to see anything really good or redeemable about the episode on rewatch.

Its poorly directed. Poorly storyboarded. Poorly animated with terribly flat art direction and I would say a really weak script that didn't really fully understand Roshi as a character.

Overall, its just an abysmal episode that got a lot of attention because it gave a secondary character some shine.
How was the script regarding Roshi bad and how exactly was the direction bad?

I agree about the animation and storyboard, but I feel like you focus too much on how the episode looks rather than the content.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:10 pm

No it isn't. Why do people think just cause someone making a sacrifice with emotional pleas is so epic? I blame this overly-sensitive culture.
Roshi helping Vegeta against frost was much better and that was all due to Frost!