What do you guys think of Zamasu?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What do you guys think of Zamasu?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:49 pm

idk how to feel about him. I usually prefer the dub, but dubbed Goku Black sounds so hammy. Like your usual evil counterpart of the main character, only with a mustache and goatee. "I'm you, but evil. MYAH MYAH. *mustache pull*" Zamasu was always worse than that, even in the Japanese version.

Nozawa had an absolutely brilliant performance with Goku Black that, I guess, made the character seem that much better than he really was to me. Additionally, the manga's version is awful. Mind you, I still like him (anime version), but probably slightly less than the other major DB villains.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Most overrated villain in entire DB.
Even more overrated than Broly.

For some reason some people actually consider him to be original character while looking at him i can only see laziness and tons of ripoffs in entire arc.

He was slightly interesting in present timeline when it wasn't revelaed that he is Black.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:03 pm

I'm not as impressed with him as others are.

Aside from the initial mystery surrounding Goku Black's identity, he was ultimately boring to me.

He had cool lines and a good VA though.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:50 pm

I'm sorry fans, but I really despise the character an consider him my least favourite DBS villain.

I dislike Zamasu because I enjoyed Goku Black more than Zamasu himself. I thought Black had some potential where he could have been Goku as a Hakaishin or Goku in as a normal ruthless Saiyan, and I felt Zamasu was a letdown compared to Goku.

I hope people understand my reason, if they don't agree with it.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:05 pm

Nice concept, horrible execution.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Honestly I think he's the best villain the series had outside of MAYBE Frieza(if we get any damn payoff for his ToP inclusion that is, otherwise he's behind the fallen Kaio for me)

The concept alone of a character we see fall from grace rather than just "evil because" is intriguing and whilst it could have been paced far far better there's times where you can see how Zamasu falls off the path of good, which for a show usually full of evil villains who are evil because they're made of evil(Buu, King Piccolo, Cell, Dabura) or evil because being evil feels good(Vegeta, Nappa, Raditz, Frieza, Cell again to some extent, and hell even Tien briefly had aspects of this) the basic storytelling concept of a fall from grace is weirdly refreshing.

He's also one of the few villains who achieved all his goals. He gained immortality, he killed the meddlesome gods in his way(including the GoDs through the Kaio link), he killed Son Goku, he killed EVERYONE bar Trunks, Mai, Shin, Vegeta and current Gowasu and Goku and then became the entire universe briefly before Zen'o hit the big all DEL button. Every opponent he came across he triumphed over, and it took the literally strongest being in the multiverse with hax editing powers over all creation to finally put an end to him.

Comparitively I don't think another villain has been even half as successful in their goals.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:13 am

I don't like him very much. As numerous others have already said, he was a good concept but a lackluster execution. When we originally meet him in the present he's pretty interesting and makes some pretty good points you could agree with, but his future version is just really meh and uninteresting to me. I felt like he could have been explored much more. Like I said, present Zamasu was a good start since we got to start exploring him, but I really never got the feeling of a character that's been corrupted and has fallen from grace. Killing all mortals and all gods is a pretty dumb idea. The only two people left in the entire universe would be Zamasu and... himself.

Black is a great villain though and I really wish he wasn't just Zamasu in Goku's body. He acts quite different than Zamasu though which is part of the reason why he works and Zamasu doesn't.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:30 pm

He's right up there with the best villans to come out of the whole franchise and by far the best thing to come out of SUPER, easily top 5 material. He's among the few that manage to fulfill their goals, if indirectly.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:36 am

I couldn't believe I was watching some real good shit when Zamasu was questioning himself, God's, and their roles in the universe and what they should do, etc. He had an entire episode dedicated to him and more in regards to his characterization and development. I'm sorry but saying He isn't good cause his existence is a time paradox (which isn't if you understood the time stuff) is not a good reason. And I've seen this listed as one many times. He had 3 versions of himself dedicated to him. We were able to see different facets of him from what he's experienced and gone through which helped him become a fully well rounded character and person. He's fantastic. 66 didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth like others but I do wish they toned down the "die mortals" or "mortals are bad" repetition.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:53 am

I definitely liked the idea, though I feel the execution could of been a bit better. Overall I think he was a good addition to dragon ball.