Theory - Zeno is the fandom

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

burrito007

Theory - Zeno is the fandom

Post by burrito007 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:32 pm

Think about it - all-powerful god-being who controls which characters exist and which characters are disappeared.

Changes the rules with plot-kai if he thinks something is "cool"

wants the fighters to fight for his enjoyment.

The entire universe is run by the whims of a child. it makes sense. i think Toriyama is taking a jab at all of us and our childish obsession with these characters.

yeah - its us. Zeno is basically the 4th wall.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Theory - Zeno is the fandom

Post by Zephyr » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Yeah, I've been thinking for a while now that the Zenos are basically audience surrogates.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:39 pm

But... if Zen-Oh is the fandom, does it mean that the fandom thinks that Zamasu is very annoying like Zen-Oh does? :(

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:41 pm

I agree with this theory.

Especially in the ways the Zenos react to things in the ToP.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Maybe a stereotype of the fandom.

I feel like there's so many factions of Dragon Ball fans that there's no way the Omni Kings can symbolize them all.

Maybe if you had multiple Omni Kings who aren't twins, but more in the vein of the angels where each one represents a different type of fan then it'd be more accurate.

The Omni Kings we have currently strike me more as the newbie casual fan who just wants to see cool action scenes and doesn't care about plot or backstories or poignant moments. I can't relate to that as a fan.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:27 pm

I've been thinking this for almost a year

And also, the GoD's, Krilin, Piccolo, Tien and others are other stereotypes of fans

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:01 pm

I've heard this one before actually

Now the question remains why are there two Zenos? Does one represent the GT fans and the other one the GT haters?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:52 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Now the question remains why are there two Zenos?
They want to be able to re-sell Zeno plushes in a two-pack. :lol:

Just kidding. I guess it could be a way for the one Zeno to interact with someone who is like him. Just as fans do on group watches or discussions.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:30 am

Maybe that's why I hate him. He represents the very annoying parts of the fanbase. :roll:

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:36 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:But... if Zen-Oh is the fandom, does it mean that the fandom thinks that Zamasu is very annoying like Zen-Oh does? :(
Yes.

A lot of the fandom didn't particular like Future Zamasu and even more despised Zamasu for achieving his goal of becoming a bad CGI effect.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:07 am

I've been on board since his (its?) earliest appearances that Zeno was representative of the audience. The world of Dragon Ball hinges on the amusement and whimsy of a lonesome, imaginative child. Not hard to read into that in terms of the series' history, nor to get mileage out of that for an ending.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:15 am

They do feel like what the executives think the Dragon Ball fandom is like (that is, easily impressed young boys). I guess you can't blame them.

Also, the fact that they're watching everything and keeping score with an iPad feels like some sort of commentary, but I can't be bothered to try and unpack it.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:19 am

Yup, ever since that scene at the start of the TOP, when the ring lit up with several explosions and we had a close up of Zeno's face and eyes as he watched the mayhem with child-like fascination. I remember thinking it was actually kind of creepy, and that this might be the writers subtly mocking the audience did cross my mind.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:57 am

I agree.After all a certain part of fandom,only cares about cool moments.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

quitered

Post by quitered » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Yes, I've been thinking about this since I've seen Zeno's reaction to the fights in the pre-tournament, and the fact that there's now two Zenos and one of them is from the future is just further evidence.

quick analysis; the Zenos...

1) are little kids that love to see awesome and explosive fights: check;
2) have the power to destroy (matter/lives in the context of the story and the actual story IRL — we, the audience, are the driving force behind the story and could [probably will] be the reason of its demise): check;
3) don't actually care for the non-specific and non-plot-driving characters in the story, just want to see violence and destruction, as long at it's "neat", it's valid: check;
4) at lest half of them love(s) Goku tremendously: check;
5) get easily amused and entertained but also easily bored: check;
6) when bored/bothered could have big temper tantrums that would most likely mean huge problems and a lot of destruction, possibly the destruction of the whole multiverse (the whole story): check;
7) (this one if the clincher for me): there are two Zenos from different timelines, one possibly younger (you could argue that the one from the present is at least chronologically younger, although he has been known to us for longer), and he would be the representation of the younger generation of DB fans, I'd say 24-year-olds or younger, the ones that grew up with Kai and now the ones that are growing up with DBS, and then there's one that's older (from the future) and has seen a lot, has traveled, has learned, has destroyed and, translated as an audience, has grown even more critical of the shows flaws... each of them represents two different generations of DB fans...