Is Jiren really "using" the Pride Troopers?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Is Jiren really "using" the Pride Troopers?

Post by Asura » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:53 am

17 (Kami rest his soul) brought up the point that Jiren is just using the Pride Troopers for his own gain. Is this really the case though? Clearly he cares about justice, and is very much beloved by everyone, even the Kai and GoD of U11. We still don't know a lot about Jiren, but I really don't see how he was duping the Pride Troopers or something.

Kataphrut

Re: Is Jiren really "using" the Pride Troopers?

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:30 am

I was browsing TV Tropes and noticed since the last episode, Jiren's character page (yes he has his own page...) has blown up with examples citing him as a jerk at best or a borderline villain at worst based on that implication. I don't know quite how I feel about that, since it's implied at the very least that Belmod and the others care about him and consider him a friend. Plus, it deviates him further and further from his manga counterpart who does seem to genuinely care about justice and do-goodery. Makes you wonder what the hell was in Toriyama's notes that could produce such drastically different interpretations between Toei and Toyotaro. My theory is still that someone showed him Screw Attack's Goku vs Superman video and he based his entire summary on that.

There are still some things that aren't clear yet. Did the others besides Belmod know his backstory before? Is what they're learning about his personality new? Toppo considered him a sworn friend, apparently. Between the insult last week (which now looks like he was just mocking Toppo for losing as opposed to caring about his principles) and his behaviour this week, we could be watching them learn that their so-called friend is actually a selfish bastard. It's almost sad when you think about it.

If this is the direction they're going with him, I have no doubt the manga will do it better, since that would actually feel like a betrayal. Having the good-guy hero turn out to be a secret jerk is far more impactful than having the bland stoic guy do it.
Last edited by Kataphrut on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:32 am

Sometimes using someone else to your own ends doesn't entail anything that would be to their detriment, you know.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:32 am

Asura wrote:17 (Kami rest his soul) brought up the point that Jiren is just using the Pride Troopers for his own gain. Is this really the case though? Clearly he cares about justice, and is very much beloved by everyone, even the Kai and GoD of U11. We still don't know a lot about Jiren, but I really don't see how he was duping the Pride Troopers or something.
I think he definitely is in the anime interpretation of Jirens character, as we never really got see Jirens sense of Justice enforced. He certainly comes off far more as a guy that would use people to achieve his own ends.

I will say that the anime interpretation does indeed appear to be far different. His highest ideal isn't strength, or strength is justice. In the manga upholding justice, law and order, and protecting the innocent really is Jirens highest held value. Of course, this could all lead to a heel turn, but right now, the manga has shown he truly holds justice as his first priority, something the anime neglected to do.

That's kind of why I think Jiren in the manga wasn't really using his allies as fodder, hell, he didn't even want to enter the tournament in the first place.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:53 am

He is obsessed with justice and by continuing to win he makes sure the Pride Troopers always follow him and help him bring justice to the world. In a sense he is using them, but in a good way.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 am

Jiren might see the Pride Troopers as the perfect apparatus needed to quash the refuse that murdered his parents. To him, they're a means to an end. Does this mean that he doesn't share in the general ideology of justice as his leader? No, not necessarily, I think on some level he may appreciate what it is the Pride Troopers stand for. Don't forget he chastised Toppo last episode while praising Vegeta for holding onto his principles. Maybe in his mind he finds the notion of losing sight of what it is you're supposed to represent detestable.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 am

They might be both. Toppo considers Jiren his friend (or sworn friend, whatever the difference there is) and he and Dyspo seemed taken aback by Jiren's harsh words. I got the impression that he's not usually as callous and blunt with them. It might be a side-effect of his 'strenght is justice, strength is absolute' mindset. The Pride Troopers seem to be the dominant power in their home universe but here they're not and they're failing to live up to Jiren's expectations.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:05 pm

Saturnine wrote:Sometimes using someone else to your own ends doesn't entail anything that would be to their detriment, you know.
Yes, but it seems like it's framed to make Jiren out to be a dick because of it, as if he's been manipulating his friends and allies or something and doesn't care about them at all.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 pm

Double post
Last edited by Kenneth La Torre on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:51 pm

I doubt it. Belmod corrected 17 after he said those words. Maybe it’s more complicated.