Magic and Reality Warpers are a MUST now

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Magic and Reality Warpers are a MUST now

Post by Professor Freeza » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:48 am

If they want to continue the franchise this way, its time for some now changes.

DC and Marvel has it perfect. SO many Reality Warpers and Haxers that Bricks much stronger than them have a real fight to even stay put. Imagine someone like Anti Monitor or even an Evil Scarlet Witch. Maybe a DB equivalent of Infinity Gauntlet or straight up Lucifer Morningstar

If they want to continue the Series without making it god awful, this must happen, becuase no one will see a Spin off prequel with Yamoshi and shit. Otherwise just put DB to rest already

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Magic and Reality Warpers are a MUST now

Post by Saturnine » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:29 am

Or we could just tone the feats back a bit, while implying that the actual powers have grown still. Like, acting impressed when someone blows up a city, like Nappa in the Saiyan arc.

Oh wait :lol:

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:32 am

I agree with the general idea of a need for change. Dragon Ball is running out of plateaus to climb. Sure, they could make some more but how far can they push this fantastical notion of some never before hinted class of hyper-beings existing before it becomes hackneyed and desensitised? I think to some degree the people over Toei realise that shonen enthusiasts' standards have changed over the years -- they want more out of the system than just macho fist pummeling with the person boasting the higher power level taking it all. The Tournament of Power, in spite of its name, tried to branch out some with the mechanics system by putting some greater emphasis on teamwork and strategy, however shallow and uninspiring it may have been. Dragon Ball does have the tools to do something in respect to revamping the system. Heck! It's existed since the original Dragon Ball with characters like Chaozu and most of Baba's warriors -- that's magic and technique in a very superficially one-dimensional context, though.

Sadly, I don't think a man like Toriyama has the creative capacity or willingness to innovate this series. He's a pretty lethargic individual who has moved on from a full commitment to Dragon Ball. Its formula is already in place, it's making money, and it's not in his nature to do something elaborate like that. Why should he feel obligated to revamp a system that he's not even fully part of anymore?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:06 am

So.. you mean like the Buu saga (magic) and Fusion Reborn (reality warp)? That's nothing new to the franchise.