How do you feel about the reveal that Android 17 is still alive?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Re: How do you feel about the reveal that Android 17 is still alive?

Post by Master Xar » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:48 am

I’m pretty much fine with it, because really... I never really considered him dead in the first place, on another forum I had already theorized 17 wasn’t dead and was ignored despite evidence that he was alive and we were being baited.
1.) we never saw his picture blinked out by Zeno.
2.) it was foreshadowed by Vegeta surviving his own explosion.
3.) Grand Priest’s wording “ASSUME he self detonated”

But I agree that they definitely should have paced that better, either have 17 help out as Jiren takes another shot at Goku after the Freeza save as he blasts at him BOOM smoke clears, 17 is over Goku with his barrier up. Easily could’ve done that with the time they had instead of the fucking peanut gallery talking AGAIN.

Or they could have done it in the next episode if keeping both reveals too close was a behind the scenes problem he’ll they could’ve added more suspense with it if Freeza went one on one with Jiren and as he is on the losing side THEN 17 comes in to help. Either way they could’ve easily made it better, I have no idea why they felt the need throw him into the fray so fast.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:09 am

I predicted it,so I was like"knew it."
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 am

Death is DB is meaningless.

People are like it takes away from his "sacrifice" but even then everyone already assumed he'd get wished back so really what's the difference? So I'm fine with it.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:51 am

Except nearly every time someone did die in DBZ, the Z fighters often had to jump through most ridiculous hoops just to bring them back. Like, oh I dunno, dealing with several terrifyingly strong people on a foreign planet who also are looking for the dragonballs. So while, yeah, there's a good chance that a character is coming back alive--Toriyama made them work for it.

In any fiction, a sacrifice is a heavily emotional moment because not only does it mean that a likable characters bites it, but it also makes it that much more satisfying when the hero finally wins. It just came at a big price.

17's reappearance and the way it was done absolutely negates whatever emotion was wrung from 17 "blowing himself up"--thinking about it now, what exactly did he do? I get this feeling that 17 coming back was done at the last second because no one gives a shit abymore-- it'd be like if Vegeta during the Buu saga made his whOle speech that he was fighting for everyone, "blows himself up" and then later on Piccolo finds him underneath some rubble perfectly fine. That scene is emotion because Vegeta dies not for himself but for other people, finally taking steps to be a good person. Having him survive would absolutely take away from that.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:20 am

Disappointed. He became my favorite tournament player due to his achievements and team play. He served enough. With the reveal that he was alive, now I think he's getting into overused territory.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:48 pm

I liked it. He was never one of my favourite characters in Z but he's been much better in Super and when he showed up alive it's one of the closest I've been to being giddy with this series.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:31 pm

I cried when i thought he died. So my tears were in vain.

But i screamed and almost lost my voice when i saw #17 back in episode 130.He is the supreme MVP, From a character which i thought it would be eliminated after Krilin, Tien and Roshi, to someone who outlasted VEGETA and is fighting the boss of the arc... this still surprises me.

I really hope to see he being MVP in episode 131.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:40 pm

Yeah it's cycled back round in to overuse territory in and of itself but it's weird because it's still a case of “anyone but the 2 saiyans please (although Vegeta gets less time than Goku he's far far more unlikeable)” I'd rather it was a Tenshinhan clone lol but such is life.

Because of all this I've actually come round to the idea of Hit time bubble thing. Jirens probably wounded to below his level now.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:09 pm

If someone catches a bullet for you and is ready to die but the doctors manage to rescue him are you less moved by his act of sacrifice and the symbol that it stands for? I am not. Also I expected it to be a possibility.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:11 pm

It doesn't take anything away from his sacrifice and if his return is handled well, there's nothing to cry about. I too felt it was dumb. But let's see how it all pans out. Plus, it's one of the most interesting and refreshing dynamics in the story. Freeza, 17, and Goku.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:44 pm

Nero<>Akira wrote:It doesn't take anything away from his sacrifice and if his return is handled well, there's nothing to cry about. I too felt it was dumb. But let's see how it all pans out. Plus, it's one of the most interesting and refreshing dynamics in the story. Freeza, 17, and Goku.
17 never met Goku prior to this arc, and was originally created/modified to kill Goku, while Freeza is probably the most iconic villain of Dragon Ball and has a long history with not only Goku and his friends and family, but the Saiyans of U7 in general.

Quite the interesting way for these three to team up. One does have to wonder if Jiren has been weakened enough for the similarly weakened Goku, Freeza, and 17 to be able to handle.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:59 pm

I'd be okay if he was still alive. My biggest problem was how casually they went about it last week. I think if during the finale he jumped in and saved Goku or Frieza or jumped into help at the last few seconds. With how big of an impact his "death" had on the community, I was very disappointed how casually they pulled the twist off. Like a casual "oh hey"

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:07 pm

I'm OK with it. I'm guessing him and Freeza will end up giving their energy to Goku and he'll resume his fight with Jiren.

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:16 pm

I don't think he should've "died" in the first place, but the fact that they still brought him back is absurd. The reason he's even in this arc is to generate hype, which he's done in spades, but it's too late in the game to keep hyping him up without it looking like a blatant attempt at marketing. You've served your purpose #17, now let one of the characters that's been continually given the shaft for years now have a shot (if they hadn't already been knocked out, of course).
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:51 pm

Considering that death and sacrifice bear little to no weight in Dragon Ball, I surprised by how much I gave a shit that #17 was still alive, so I guess that says something. I did find it quite funny how #17 just casually emerged from the rubble like, "Hey, guys! I'm still here."

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:54 pm

It bothers me that apparently no one, not even the Grand Priest, noticed that he was still alive. I like 17, but it really makes me mad that he just showed up out of nowhere like this. It didn't feel organic, like most things in this show.
Favorite Dragon Ball Characters
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Dislikes: Playing by the rules

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:06 pm

I didn't like it in its execution and I liked it even less in concept. Literally anyone could have predicted that 17 wasn't actually dead/eliminated, but it's pretty damn grating after several instances of this already happening in the tournament with characters like Frieza and Vegeta beforehand. It completely reduces any impact that could be had with his character and to make matters worse, the anime is flat-out terrible at translating this kind of stuff to the audience.

For me, it's pretty much up there with Vegeta's oft-repeated "speech" (if you can call it that) during the multiple weeks preceding his elimination in terms of the level of quality I'd expect from Toei's writing staff.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 pm

dragon boss z wrote:I didn't like it. It takes away from episode 127 with his "death" scene, and it also takes away from Frieza being the guy who was still in. If 17 was just going to be back too then why wasn't Frieza apart of the big fight against Jiren in 127? 17 fought the whole episode and Frieza showed up for 10 seconds to get his lights knocked out. 17 then fought Jiren for an extended period of time and saved everyone. He also fought Toppo longer than Frieza and was the ki person in taking down Anilaza. When he died I was like, OK they gave him all of that because he was going to die, but now that he is back it not only makes Frieza look bad, but Vegeta as well since 17 did better than him in 127 and now he outlasted him as well. The writers seem to really love 17. I wonder if he will get as much shine in the manga or if he will just fight tactically using his unlimited stamina.
wolflonnie wrote:It's too much. I like his characterization as per Super, but him dealing with Jiren was already enough. Now he's alive and in the final battle? No, that's too much.
Not to mention, I would've preferred if it was just Goku and Frieza against Jiren. Now that there's like twenty seconds left (=10 minutes), the fact that there are STILL three partecipants for U7 ruins the tension.
Torturephile wrote:Disappointed. He became my favorite tournament player due to his achievements and team play. He served enough. With the reveal that he was alive, now I think he's getting into overused territory.
KinguKurimuzon wrote:I don't think he should've "died" in the first place, but the fact that they still brought him back is absurd. The reason he's even in this arc is to generate hype, which he's done in spades, but it's too late in the game to keep hyping him up without it looking like a blatant attempt at marketing. You've served your purpose #17, now let one of the characters that's been continually given the shaft for years now have a shot (if they hadn't already been knocked out, of course).
These opinions right here pretty much sum up my own.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:52 pm

Shaqazooloo wrote:It bothers me that apparently no one, not even the Grand Priest, noticed that he was still alive. I like 17, but it really makes me mad that he just showed up out of nowhere like this. It didn't feel organic, like most things in this show.
17 doesn't have ki, so they wouldn't sense his presence if he were hidden under rubble

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:22 pm

I'm mixed, on one hand, it takes away a bit from his sacrifice in 127, on the other hand I'm glad he survived and I am interested on how he will fight alongside Goku and Freeza in the last seconds of this tournament.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy