Which did it better, GT or Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:16 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I agree, but apart from that awful opening, the Funimation dub of GT wasn’t really any worse than the majority of their dub of Z. That’s why I don’t think you can really say that the dub specifically was what factored into people’s dislike of the series.
I would disagree.

Funimation went all-in on the "HARDCORE!!" approach, which was only partially present in Z. GT is a very lighthearted show, and Funi tried to ram an "INTENSE" atmosphere into it, and basically ended up with the most jarring thing you can imagine.
All their usual "EXTREME"isms were dialled up to eleven for GT, the replacement score stopped being decent synth rock, and became totally crap hip-hop/metal, and basically the result is something that isn't even a good version of the goofy weird TV dub Funi were making at the time. It's total crap.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Fri May 04, 2018 11:53 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: The failings of Funi's dub go well beyond the crap opening.
I agree, but apart from that awful opening, the Funimation dub of GT wasn’t really any worse than the majority of their dub of Z. That’s why I don’t think you can really say that the dub specifically was what factored into people’s dislike of the series.
I agree with the point about GT's dub not being much "different" to DBZ's dub, but there's a reason for the awful opening. A large portion of the DBZ demographic in America intersected with the hip hop community and many of the hip hop artists today were inspired in one way or another by Dragonball. Here's a video that briefly explains it ("Hip-Hop's Love For 'Dragon Ball'" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41zctFibZnU). Funimation were well aware of them and marketed it towards them.

Disliking the GT opening is almost entirely based on your music preference. You probably prefer the more orchestral/classical music and there's nothing wrong with that. I like to compare it to those old folk who grew up in the 1940's bebop era or the 19060's Beatles era and don't understand this "hip hop" genre we have today. I'm no music expert but I do listen to a lot of hip-hop. Lyrically, the GT rap opening flowed well and had some decent rhyme.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:09 am

Bullza wrote:So you're saying it's not as terrible with the sub? Hmmm I'll give it a try.
The characterizations can be completely different from the dub to the sub or vice versa. Sean Schemmel's Goku vs Nozawa's Goku are COMPLETELY different people. That said, regardless of dub or sub, GT is absolute trash and doesn't deserve to have the name "Dragon Ball" in it. You still probably won't like it, maybe it'll be somewhat tolerable with the sub though

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat May 05, 2018 12:26 am

PFM18 wrote:GT is absolute trash and doesn't deserve to have the name "Dragon Ball" in it.
C'mon, it ain't THAT bad!

That treatment is for Dragon Ball Evolution...and Dragon Ball Minus.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat May 05, 2018 12:42 am

I suppose it would be better to watch the series with the original Japanese score as well right?

I've just noticed I've been watching it with the American score which isn't awful but it ain't very good either

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sat May 05, 2018 3:15 am

Logania wrote:
PFM18 wrote:GT is absolute trash and doesn't deserve to have the name "Dragon Ball" in it.

It's his shtick. He thinks saying GT is trash somehow validates his opinion that Super is good". Repeating the same thing over and over again with arguments like "I hate this so it sucks". It's this kind of elitist mentality within the fandom that gave GT and the dub a bad rep in the first place due to the hive-minded nature of these early DB forums. It's improved a lot over the years though (especially on Kanzenshuu) and it's great to see more diverse, less biased opinions.

The dragonball franchise has attracted many new fans since Super came out and I encourage anyone to watch all the shows (DB-->GT even evolution) and form your own thoughts on them. You might not like something but that doesn't mean it's trash. Criticism is great but low effort statements like those don't really add much to the discussion imo. Not gonna lie, I've probably done it too.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat May 05, 2018 3:34 am

Tai Lung wrote:
Rakurai wrote: Why doesn't the GT page has this type of treatment? Dan Dan Kokoro is leaps and bounds way better than the first DBS opening, and I can guarantee you that most fans prefer GT's opening over Super's first opening. In addition, the first episode of GT by TV ratings was quite good too.
It is a very cute song but it does not have to do anything with a series like DB as an ending .. it can be
had a good start to be the return of dragon ball but then had problems with the rating
Rakurai wrote: Not to mention, Dragon Ball franchise has a much wider fanbase than it did in 1996. If it were entirely up to Japan only, the outcome would've certainly been different. Saying GT killed the franchise is not false but its also a painfully ignorant approach that ignores a lot of factors and advantages that Super enjoys today like an international fanbase, online streaming access, and (this is my biggest pet peeve) a script from Toriyama or canonicity as a lot of fans like to put out. Because canon means superiority to a lot of people and no matter how shitty it gets they'll keep watching because it's canon. If Super were written the exact same way but it didn't have the Toriyama sticker attached, fans would not be so keen to continue watching it.
assuming that all the fans think alike, it's not really an advantage
that is also false the majority did not know if it was canon or not when it came out GT or the movies of Z so to say that help really is not a reason there is the case DB minus that not many know and ignore and it is the canon
You're here.

But the point is all the way over here.

I referenced why GT didn't get that treatment in the Wikipedia because the title sequence of Super has nothing to do with the quality of the series either. Yet Wikipedia still used this as reception.

Anyways I rest my case. Wikipedia can be edited by literally anyone and should not be used as hard proof for anything.

For GT it might not have mattered in the past, but for Super it matters a lot and is central to its appeal towards fans. The fandom's usage of 'canon' has become so widespread that even for a film to be made, Toriyama has to be the one writing it. Toei recognizes the allure of Toriyama's brand and they capitalize on that. Hell, even video games see this, they go out of their way to have Toriyama create an original character so as to boost the market appeal of their game. In the end, Toei may not care about what's canon or not but by including Toriyama it helps meets fans' expectations for a "proper continuation" of a story anyways.
Bullza wrote:I suppose it would be better to watch the series with the original Japanese score as well right?

I've just noticed I've been watching it with the American score which isn't awful but it ain't very good either
100%. As Robo4900 explained, Funimation tried to spin GT into something that it wasn't meant to be in the first place. You don't have to look further than the openings as they are totally different in tone.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat May 05, 2018 3:59 am

PFM18 wrote:maybe it'll be somewhat tolerable with the sub though
To me it's not tolerable even with the sub lol
Wikipedia can be edited by literally anyone and should not be used as hard proof for anything.
Go ahead and edit it, change GT reception and say everyone loved it, we'll see how that goes lol
Timetraveller wrote: I encourage anyone to watch all the shows (DB-->GT even evolution)
Dude please have mercy lol

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sat May 05, 2018 11:15 am

If Super had shown the kind of art and animation from eps 130-131 to the entire series, then yeah. Super would have been far more enjoyable, and maybe even greater than Z.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat May 05, 2018 12:10 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
PFM18 wrote:maybe it'll be somewhat tolerable with the sub though
To me it's not tolerable even with the sub lol
Wikipedia can be edited by literally anyone and should not be used as hard proof for anything.
Go ahead and edit it, change GT reception and say everyone loved it, we'll see how that goes lol
Timetraveller wrote: I encourage anyone to watch all the shows (DB-->GT even evolution)
Dude please have mercy lol
I dont give a shit about Wikipedia reception unless it's factual. And hey look guess what.

"The average audience TV rating in Japan was 5.6% (Kanto region). The maximum audience rating was 8.4% (Episode 47) and the lowest rating was 3.5% (Episodes 109-110).[59] These are the lowest TV ratings on average, maximum, and minimum per series that the franchise has ever received.

In the Dragon Ball 30th Anniversary book, Akira Toriyama criticized the quality of series, stating "...and now I’m complaining about the quality of the new TV anime."[76]"

These things have been added to the DBS reception. I'm okay with these things because they're not just some randomass critics.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:59 pm

Timetraveller wrote:Disliking the GT opening is almost entirely based on your music preference. You probably prefer the more orchestral/classical music and there's nothing wrong with that. I like to compare it to those old folk who grew up in the 1940's bebop era or the 19060's Beatles era and don't understand this "hip hop" genre we have today. I'm no music expert but I do listen to a lot of hip-hop. Lyrically, the GT rap opening flowed well and had some decent rhyme.
I have very broad musical taste. I listen to jazz and blues and such dating back to the '20s, I listen to classical stuff, I listen to progressive rock and metal, I listen to pop, I listen to hip-hop... Basically, I'll listen to almost anything. I generally tend to mostly go for progressive rock at the moment, and I don't listen to all that much hip-hop/rap stuff, but as long as it's good, I'll basically give anything a try.

Thing is, I don't think the GT replacement score works in GT at all. And the lyrics to the opening rap are really cheesy, and the actual in-series score is a little generic-sounding, and massively unfitting to the tone of the show.
Mark Menza isn't a bad musician, but his music simply doesn't fit in GT.

Honestly, the idea of a Dragon Ball series deliberately designed to have hip-hop music in its score, and thus one designed with a tone that would benefit that sounds pretty kick-ass to me. But retrofitting GT to do that didn't work, was never going to work, and was just a poorly-conceived idea thought up to try to pander to a specific part of their audience while massively disrespecting the show they were doing this to.

Thing is, Tokunaga's score for GT was already in place, and is already IMO the best score a piece of Dragon Ball media has ever had. So in addition to the replacement score being unfitting and a bit of a mixed bag to begin with, it's in place of some truly incredible stuff composed for the Japanese version, so... I'm in a similar position in this regard to people like KaiserNeko, who holds a massive grudge(Well, perhaps grudge isn't the right word, but you know what I mean) against the Faulconer score for replacing the Kikuchi score, which he has a great love for.
Bullza wrote:I suppose it would be better to watch the series with the original Japanese score as well right?

Honestly, watching the Funi dub with the Japanese score makes it worse, becuase it becomes even more jarring, despite the fact it's astounding music that's leaps and bounds ahead of the crap Funi put together for the replacement score.

But, watching it with the actually good Blue Water dub, or the proper, original Japanese audio track, it really works, and you get to hear some of the best music in the Dragon Ball franchise.
Rakurai wrote:I dont give a shit about Wikipedia reception unless it's factual. And hey look guess what.

"The average audience TV rating in Japan was 5.6% (Kanto region). The maximum audience rating was 8.4% (Episode 47) and the lowest rating was 3.5% (Episodes 109-110).[59] These are the lowest TV ratings on average, maximum, and minimum per series that the franchise has ever received.
Star Trek: The Original Series consistently received some of the worst ratings of the channel it originally aired in. However, it was very well liked. Plus, while I hesitate to pull this card, ratings numbers are often highly inaccurate. The reason Star Trek came back with its movies, and the animated series is because later evidence showed the viewership was actually rather enormous.

I'm not saying GT is as good as Star Trek, or that there was a secret undercurrent of GT lovers in Japan who were wronged by its cancellation, I'm just saying... Ratings aren't all that meaningful to the actual quality of the show, especially when the ratings in Z had already been dropping off at a tremendous rate, with it all coming to a head when GT episode 1 aired, with massively reduced ratings from even the drop-off point of Z. That doesn't speak to the quality of the show, it speaks to the franchise fatigue people were having. If no one watched the show, no one would know how good it was, so saying the maximum and average ratings were low actually kind of aids the idea that maybe the reason it was cancelled wasn't because people didn't like it...
Rakurai wrote:In the Dragon Ball 30th Anniversary book, Akira Toriyama criticized the quality of series, stating "...and now I’m complaining about the quality of the new TV anime."[76]"
Nice complete lack of context there.

Besides, Toriyama has gone on record previously stating the fact he likes GT. That famous "gt is a side-story so its non canon lol" quote is often taken entirely out of context from the original writing, which was clearly intended to show an appreciation of it.
Rakurai wrote:These things have been added to the DBS reception. I'm okay with these things because they're not just some randomass critics.
A critic is someone who understands the medium they're discussing, and is able to go in-depth into why and how various things do or do not work. A critic is far more qualified to tell you whether something has artistic merit than some inaccurate ratings numbers, or some nonsensical out of context quote from the guy who created the comics the show was based on.

Geekdom did a pretty great breakdown of GT and its history, which goes into the ratings stuff in rather great detail, and explains the real reasons why GT was cancelled. I suggest watching that before spreading further misinformation.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat May 05, 2018 2:08 pm

and the lowest rating was 3.5% (Episodes 109-110)
does not compute lol
109-110 are allegedly some of the best episodes Super has ever produced, and here I thought the people editing the wiki were responsible lads, mea culpa lol

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat May 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Rakurai wrote: I referenced why GT didn't get that treatment in the Wikipedia because the title sequence of Super has nothing to do with the quality of the series either. Yet Wikipedia still used this as reception.

Anyways I rest my case. Wikipedia can be edited by literally anyone and should not be used as hard proof for anything.

For GT it might not have mattered in the past, but for Super it matters a lot and is central to its appeal towards fans. The fandom's usage of 'canon' has become so widespread that even for a film to be made, Toriyama has to be the one writing it. Toei recognizes the allure of Toriyama's brand and they capitalize on that. Hell, even video games see this, they go out of their way to have Toriyama create an original character so as to boost the market appeal of their game. In the end, Toei may not care about what's canon or not but by including Toriyama it helps meets fans' expectations for a "proper continuation" of a story anyways.
I think it can be used as support.
and dragon ball gt had designs of toriyama something that toei was in charge of letting know in guides and others means,.that nobody cares neither nowadays with dragon ball minus (canon) which currently everyone ignores it again has nothing to do

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat May 05, 2018 5:24 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Rakurai wrote:In the Dragon Ball 30th Anniversary book, Akira Toriyama criticized the quality of series, stating "...and now I’m complaining about the quality of the new TV anime."[76]"
Nice complete lack of context there.

Besides, Toriyama has gone on record previously stating the fact he likes GT. That famous "gt is a side-story so its non canon lol" quote is often taken entirely out of context from the original writing, which was clearly intended to show an appreciation of it.
Rakurai wrote:These things have been added to the DBS reception. I'm okay with these things because they're not just some randomass critics.
A critic is someone who understands the medium they're discussing, and is able to go in-depth into why and how various things do or do not work. A critic is far more qualified to tell you whether something has artistic merit than some inaccurate ratings numbers, or some nonsensical out of context quote from the guy who created the comics the show was based on.

Geekdom did a pretty great breakdown of GT and its history, which goes into the ratings stuff in rather great detail, and explains the real reasons why GT was cancelled. I suggest watching that before spreading further misinformation.
Dude, I'm one of those who advocate strongly against citing Wikipedia. Yes, Wikipedia often takes quotes out of context which is why I don't like it when people use to cite it as 'fact.'

I understand, and am actually of the belief, that GT killed the franchise primarily due to franchise fatigue. I normally don't like to watch YouTubers especially Geekdom but that video he put out explaining GT was actually pretty darn good.

Super enjoys advantages that GT didn't have which is why it helped bring back DB into mainstream. Doesnt help with the fact that English viewers watch it in English dub which is horribly worse. Latin America doesnt have this problem whatsoever, there's no real hate for GT in countries like Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador, etc. Super anime's story-telling and execution isn't any better than GT's as much as I would've liked it to be.
PsionicWarrior wrote:
does not compute lol
109-110 are allegedly some of the best episodes Super has ever produced, and here I thought the people editing the wiki were responsible lads, mea culpa lol
Glad you finally realize this.
Tai Lung wrote:I think it can be used as support.
and dragon ball gt had designs of toriyama something that toei was in charge of letting know in guides and others means,.that nobody cares neither nowadays with dragon ball minus (canon) which currently everyone ignores it again has nothing to do
No. Title sequences are nice but they have no relevance towards the overall quality of a series. The BGM alone is more important to the show than the title sequence.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat May 05, 2018 5:40 pm

Rakurai wrote: No. Title sequences are nice but they have no relevance towards the overall quality of a series. The BGM alone is more important to the show than the title sequence.
I was referring to wikis in general

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:03 pm

Rakurai wrote:Dude, I'm one of those who advocate strongly against citing Wikipedia. Yes, Wikipedia often takes quotes out of context which is why I don't like it when people use to cite it as 'fact.'
Oh sorry. I didn't realise you were quoting Wikipedia there. Apologies for getting the complete wrong end of the stick there, and prying your post apart unjustly.

But yes, you're absolutely right, Wikipedia is useless for citing anything. It'll give you a decent start to researching something, but... Well... Look at a Wikipedia article for something you're unfamiliar with, and it'll seem highly informative and interesting. Look at the Wikipedia article for something you're familiar with, and you'll find it often gets the broad strokes decently accurate, but all the details are consistently totally wrong.
I remember I once looked at the Dream Theater(American progressive metal band) article, and found there was a useful infographic at the bottom displaying the band members by year, with lines representing each album and live album... Except there were about 2 extra lines in the '80s that mark albums, even though no albums were released by the band there, half the live albums were missing, two band members' vocal contributions were incorrectly represented, people who were only guests at shows when they were still searching for singers in the '90s were listed, and IIRC one guy was straight-up missing from the listing. :lol:
Rakurai wrote:I understand, and am actually of the belief, that GT killed the franchise primarily due to franchise fatigue. I normally don't like to watch YouTubers especially Geekdom but that video he put out explaining GT was actually pretty darn good.
Yeah, it's a great video... Wish some of the GT hate crowd would watch it and realise a loudly and seemingly commonly-shared opinion isn't a fact. :lol:
Rakurai wrote:Super enjoys advantages that GT didn't have which is why it helped bring back DB into mainstream. Doesnt help with the fact that English viewers watch it in English dub which is horribly worse. Latin America doesnt have this problem whatsoever, there's no real hate for GT in countries like Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador, etc. Super anime's story-telling and execution isn't any better than GT's as much as I would've liked it to be.
Thought so.

Honestly, I've always considered Super's storytelling and such to be far worse(I actually like GT. Super, not so much...), and along with its rather poor animation and music, I've ended up basically having no interest in the Super anime anymore.
Rakurai wrote:No. Title sequences are nice but they have no relevance towards the overall quality of a series. The BGM alone is more important to the show than the title sequence.
Indeed, couldn't agree more.

Much as the rap intro to Funimation's GT is symbolic of everything wrong with that dub, I hardly think that even begins to cover the flaws of the dub itself, or the BGM in general. Somewhat similar to how while Super's opening and ending songs have consistently been excellent, while the BGM for Super has been pretty much meh across the board, with a couple of decent tracks popping up from time to time.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat May 05, 2018 9:12 pm

I think the Super anime is disappointing and frustrating. I think GT has those problems as well, but its biggest issue is that it's irredeemably boring. I have tried on four separate occasions to marathon GT, and it is just not possible. No matter what state of mind I'm in when I try, I end up falling asleep. The concepts range from dull to idiotic (I really don't get the "GT has good ideas" sentiment), the consistency issues are on par with Super, the characters lack chemistry for far-too-great of a portion of the series, the action on an episode-to-episode basis is completely unengaging, and the promises made at the end of Z are totally unfulfilled.

An example of my last point: Oob. Oob is totally useless in GT. He was presented as Goku's successor, but he doesn't even come close to living up to that in GT...not in spirit, not in accomplishment, and certainly not in relevance. I don't mind if characters don't live up to their potential; I have no problem with how Gohan has been treated post-Cell. The difference is that Gohan doesn't want to fight while Oob does. GT's Oob is not recognizable as a pupil of Goku, and we're not given any information that justifies that.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:47 am

Timetraveller wrote:
Logania wrote:

It's his shtick. He thinks saying GT is trash somehow validates his opinion that Super is good". Repeating the same thing over and over again with arguments like "I hate this so it sucks". It's this kind of elitist mentality within the fandom that gave GT and the dub a bad rep in the first place due to the hive-minded nature of these early DB forums. It's improved a lot over the years though (especially on Kanzenshuu) and it's great to see more diverse, less biased opinions.

The dragonball franchise has attracted many new fans since Super came out and I encourage anyone to watch all the shows (DB-->GT even evolution) and form your own thoughts on them. You might not like something but that doesn't mean it's trash. Criticism is great but low effort statements like those don't really add much to the discussion imo. Not gonna lie, I've probably done it too.
No my "schtick" is not to just say GT is bad just for the sake of validation of Super. Nor do I criticize GT without any reasoning behind it. I don't have to explain the reasoning behind my thoughts in every single post. I have explained my reasoning and so has everybody else, nobody is going to change each other's minds on the topic so I am not making it a priority to constantly repeat my criticism of GT. But to reiterate:

In GT Goku si the only character that literally does anything of importance throughout the entire series. It becomes extremely predictable because you always knew Goku was just gonna beat the baddie and that was going to be it. Absolutely No wrinkles in the story, nothing interesting or unpredictable, guy shows up, Goku has some trouble and then wins.

The new characters introduced were unlikable and were handled poorly. Pan is intolerable and all she does is whine and complain throughout the entire series. Uub is wasted, doesn't do anything and has a boring and generic character.

The many plotholes and power scaling shenanigans that ensued in GT break the immersion of the story.

None of the fights are legitimately compelling. Nothing interesting no deep elements within the fights, the fights look like trash and are not dynamic in any way. The only arc with even decent fights was the Baby Arc. Anything not in the Baby Arc is complete garbage.

They make Goku really small for no reason and there is no character development or interesting character moments in the series other than the one thing with Piccolo. Again, Pan is a horrible character, and even though people claimed that she developed in the series, she is still the same whiny girl from beginning to end without any deviation from that character.

Really the only good things that GT introduced were the Baby Arc and SSJ4. And you can't even really count those as two things because they overlap with each other

Super, on the other hand, I have thoroughly enjoyed throughout and I can actually see myself rewatching several times because it is that interesting. GT I watched once and I have no idea how I managed it, and never have any intention of ever watching it again. Super has easily some of the best fights of the series, many great character moments, interesting plots, is completely unpredictable, gives spotlight to several different characters, and has arguably the best transformation sequences between Goku achieving UI Omen for the first time and achieving UI for the first time. It just carried on the nature of the Dragon Ball series. Sure it has problems, but so does DBZ and ODB.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun May 06, 2018 4:00 am

Rakurai wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
does not compute lol
Glad you finally realize this.
Well I mean these wiki pages were more or less accurate before someone hastily edited them following some forum argument, I don't know who that person is but he should think more responsibly for the greater good of community knowledge IMO lol
Robo4900 wrote:I actually like GT. Super, not so much
You have my respect for being civil and interesting to read even if it's seriously impossible for me to understand such sentiment lol
HybridSaiyan wrote:If Super had shown the kind of art and animation from eps 130-131 to the entire series, then yeah. Super would have been far more enjoyable, and maybe even greater than Z.
I agree, the entire series would be impossible (even Z has its share of missed animations) but more than what we got for sure,
I can say without blushing scenes like the 131 fights did make my childhood self so very happy lol

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sun May 06, 2018 9:35 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thing is, I don't think the GT replacement score works in GT at all. And the lyrics to the opening rap are really cheesy, and the actual in-series score is a little generic-sounding, and massively unfitting to the tone of the show.
Mark Menza isn't a bad musician, but his music simply doesn't fit in GT.

Honestly, the idea of a Dragon Ball series deliberately designed to have hip-hop music in its score, and thus one designed with a tone that would benefit that sounds pretty kick-ass to me. But retrofitting GT to do that didn't work, was never going to work, and was just a poorly-conceived idea thought up to try to pander to a specific part of their audience while massively disrespecting the show they were doing this to.

Thing is, Tokunaga's score for GT was already in place, and is already IMO the best score a piece of Dragon Ball media has ever had. So in addition to the replacement score being unfitting and a bit of a mixed bag to begin with, it's in place of some truly incredible stuff composed for the Japanese version, so... I'm in a similar position in this regard to people like KaiserNeko, who holds a massive grudge(Well, perhaps grudge isn't the right word, but you know what I mean) against the Faulconer score for replacing the Kikuchi score, which he has a great love for.
Completely understand the sentiment for the original scores and I agree with it for the most part. For the record, I much preferred the original Japanese GT opening over the rap OP. I have to admit the rap was catchy though since I still remember every word from it more than a decade after I watched it (so it did its job). The falcouner scores imo suited the more sci-fi theme that DBZ went for. It may not have been great composition wise as well as the sub tracks but it gave me those X-files vibes.

No complaints with the Tokunaga GT score from the sub. It was beautifully composed and made the show feel "grand".