Rank the major tournament antagonists

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Rank the major tournament antagonists

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:43 pm

I've been meaning to create this thread, but was waiting for the ToP arc to be finished. We've had many tournaments throughout Dragon Ball, and each one has come with a main antagonist. See the list below:
Jackie Chun - 21st World Martial Arts Tournament
Tien - 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament
Piccolo - 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament
Pikkon - Other World Tournament
Hit - Tournament of Destroyers
Jiren - Tournament of Power

(No, I am not including Cell)

Out of these, rank them based on the following categories: physical appearance, abilities (as in, techniques unique to them in their arc, and how they're executed/implemented on-screen for visual effect), personality, backstory, first impression (i.e. their first showcase of power in their respective arc), and their overall fights in their arcs. Please base your votes ONLY on their respective tournament arcs, not anything that occurs with these characters afterwards (looking at you, Piccolo fans).

My list, taking the aforementioned categories into consideration:
1. Piccolo - cool design, great over-the-top personality, the best backstory, and had many memorable fights, including one of the best in the franchise with Goku. Very little unique abilities though, besides stretchy arms and going giant, though I guess his ki usage was unique at the time.
2. Hit - Undoubtedly the best designed tournament antagonist. Also, has the best original abilities. His background as an assassin is cool. He's just...cool, though his battles were a bit lackluster due to the shitty animation and art in the first three arcs of Super.
3. Pikkon - Out of all of them, he made the best first impression when he dispatched the past villains. He had some cool abilities, electrifying battles, and had Hit's cool personality first. Absolutely no backstory though.
4. Jackie Chun - Humorous and also respectable when serious. His final battle with Goku is a classic. He also had a plethora of unique abilities.
5. Jiren - Well, he barely had a personality until the very end, in a very rushed character arc. Extremely cliche backstory that was unfitting for such a character, imo. Almost no unique abilities either, besides the eye glares. What redeems him is he made a great first impression with his power, and his fights with Goku are, without a doubt, not only the best out of any of these tournament arcs, but some of the best in the franchise as a whole too.
6. Tien - His backstory was good, and I loved how he developed in his arc, but besides that, he really doesn't stand out much.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Rank the major tournament antagonists

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:28 am

Nobody? ;_;

How does Jiren stack up to the rest? He had the best fights, imo, but all in all, he was probably one of the weakest.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roronoa-pt » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:47 am

1. Piccolo - All the fights were memorable ( even TaoxTen ) and Piccolo Jr is one, if not the best character of all Dragon Ball series ( yes, I'm a Piccolo fanboy )
2. Tenshinhan - I’m also a huge fan of Tenshinhan ( I like Chaozu too ). Goku vs Ten/ Jackie vs Ten were one of the best fights of all series, loved the development of Tenshinhan as a character, too bad TOEI/Toryama dislike him ATM.
3. Hit - Great antagonist. His background as an assassin is pretty nice too bad his fights weren't that great.
4. Jackie Chun - Not a big fan of this tournament altough Jackie was fun and serious when he need to be.
5. Jiren - Jiren barely had a personality until the last eps. His backstory was decent enough but very rushed.
6. Paikuhan - Easily the worst. Altough his techniques were cool.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:12 pm

1. Tenshinhan: Tenshinhan's character arc is one of the more subtle but nuanced character arcs in all of Dragon Ball. Seeing how he slowing changes his resolve and motivations during the tournament was great to witness. And his battle with Goku is an absolute gem.
2. Hit: Great design, surprisingly well fleshed out character, incredibly unique skill-set and abilities, has been majorly involved in some Super more memorable fights, and has a really good seiyuu to boot. Without a doubt the best thing to come out Universe 6 and one of modern Dragon Ball's finest additions.
3. Jiren: Jiren is such a weird character. He's instrumental in some of the most memorable moments of Super and is involved in the best fight in all of Dragon Ball, but he had no real discernible character traits beyond "He's very strong" for 85% of the screen time he got in the Universal Survival arc. That being said, they somehow manged to get a decent character arc out of him in the remaining 15% of screen time he had. The slow-burn approach with Jiren's characterization did not do him any favors at all for, but in the end, he got good character development, so he's fine, for now.
4. Jackie Chun: A wonderfully diverse assortment of techniques, has fantastic bouts against Goku and Krillin, and worked well even as satellite character as his dynamic with Tenshinhan was great and served as an organic catalyst for Tenshinhan wonderfully subtle character growth. Not to mention he bowed out in the most graceful manner possible.
5. Piccolo (Jr): Has one of the best fights in all of Dragon Ball against Goku in the 23rd WMAT but unfortunately has an uninteresting backstory as he is basically King Piccolo 2.0 but with less overall influence on the plot. And I don't like King Piccolo.
6. Paikuhan: His fight with Goku is one the better filler fights in the Z anime, but that's about as good as it gets for this guy. He is a total flat character.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:52 pm

Physical appearance/design: Piccolo > Hit > Tenshinhan = Paikuhan = Jackie Chun > Jiren

Personality/backstory: Jackie Chun = Piccolo > Tenshinhan > Hit > Jiren

Abilities: Piccolo > Tenshinhan = Hit > Jackie Chun

Fights: Picccolo > Tenshinhan > Jackie Chun > Hit

I can't comment on Jiren's fight and abilities since I haven't got to that point of the ToP yet. Same with Paikuhan but in his case that's because it's been more than a decade since I last watched the Other World Tournament arc, so I barely remember his fight with Goku.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:13 pm

Physical Appearance -
Hit > Piccolo > Pikkon > Jiren > Tien > Jackie Chun

Abilities -
Hit > Piccolo > Jiren > Pikkon > Tien > Jackie Chun

Personality -
Piccolo > Hit > Tien > Jackie Chun > Jiren > Pikkon

Backstory -
Tien > Piccolo > Jackie Chun > Jiren > Pikkon > Hit

First Impression -
Hit > Pikkon > Jiren > Piccolo > Tien > Jackie Chun

Overall Fights -
Hit > Jiren > Tien > Piccolo > Jackie Chun > Pikkon
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:10 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Undoubtedly the best designed tournament antagonist.
Weren't you one of the people who first criticized Hit for looking bland? :P

Anyway, I'd say Jackie Chun comes in first out of the original Tenkaichi Budokai. The best fight in any tournament was Piccolo Jr vs Goku, but Piccolo himself is just a worse version of his father at this point in the series. He constantly gets outsmarted not only by Goku, but by Kuririn as well. I think the only time he was smart in the entire thing was when he trapped Kami in the Mafuba. I wasn't a big fan of Tenshinhan's arc in the 22nd TB (and I still feel it's done better in the 3rd DB movie), but I've warmed up to it recently, even if I still find the character meh overall. Still, I think the final fight is plagued by the problem of Goku constantly one-upping Tenshinhan in battle; the final in both the 21nd and 23rd suffer from this problem to a lesser extent as well, but both finalists there are portrayed as more capable than Tenshinhan. I legitimately can't find an instance where I could say Tenshinhan had the upper-hand on Goku.

Grandpa Gohan is also the final antagonist of a tournament, so he probably should be on the list. He's fine, I think. Good for some nice moments with Goku. It's been a long while since I sat through Toei's filler, so I can't really comment on Paikuhan.

Hit is cool, his abilities are great and his background is interesting. Problem is that his growth as a character in the tournament itself was very rushed and poorly executed. I much prefer the way he's been portrayed ever since, but I can't ignore how lackluster his arc is. So I think Jackie Chun has a very clear win over him.

Jiren is garbage. And his fights, though pretty to look at, are lacking both in terms of actual fight choreography and any kind of emotional weight. I hope he improves in the future now that they've gotten past this incredibly tragic (ha!) arc of his (which is literally just Tenshinhan done worse).

1 - Jackie Chun
2 - Hit
3 - Tenshinhan
4 - Piccolo Jr.
5 - Grandpa Gohan
6 - Jiren

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:00 pm

Man, I can't think of a single category that I wouldn't rank Jiren dead last in except for maybe physical appearance. Yikes.

1. Piccolo
2. Jackie Chun
3. Tien/Tenshinhan
4. Hit
5. Pikkon
6. Jiren

Despite ranking him at #4, I like Hit's abilities more than anyone on this list; I'm just not big on his character or actual fights in the U6 tournament in either the anime or manga. He improved drastically in subsequent appearances, though. Pikkon likewise never had much of a presence for me, but at least "bland" is better than "bland at first and actively worse later on" (thanks for that, Jiren).