I'm happy that the last 3 fighters were not all saiyans

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: I'm happy that the last 3 fighters were not all saiyans

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:43 am

I certainly like probably many others expected Goku/Vegeta/Gohan to be the remaining U7 fighters but I did appreciate what they've done 17. But damn, they really did some unexpected digging there lol

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:55 am

Agreed. It was exciting and appreciated for the final stand of the heroes to not all be just Saiyan characters. If the series continues, hopefully it continues going that direction and giving the non Saiyan race protagonist characters some shine along with the Saiyans.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:22 am

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:Agreed. It was exciting and appreciated for the final stand of the heroes to not all be just Saiyan characters. If the series continues, hopefully it continues going that direction and giving the non Saiyan race protagonist characters some shine along with the Saiyans.
The main reason I think 17 and Frieza were the last 2 is because this is the first time they have been on Goku's side for anything.

Since Toriyama doesn't really repeat himself with these kind of things I wouldn't expect these 2 to be at the end against an antagonist again. Frieza might becasue he is Frieza but I doubt it.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:13 pm

precita wrote:I don't see what the big deal would be, the Buu saga had 5 Saiyans as the leads and it didn't matter.
You're sure it wasn't extremely boring and (considering the narrative) wasteful given the potential cast and the crazy asspulls Toriyama was coming up with anyway?

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Gohan should have gotten to at least participate in the battles against Toppo and Jiren. Gohan was useless and weak in this arc.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Puaru wrote:Gohan should have gotten to at least participate in the battles against Toppo and Jiren. Gohan was useless and weak in this arc.
He did fight Toppo though. He wasn't useless or weak as you keep claiming either. Being in the same realm as Blue Goku doesn't make him weak.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:12 am

Kagari wrote:
Puaru wrote:Gohan should have gotten to at least participate in the battles against Toppo and Jiren. Gohan was useless and weak in this arc.
He did fight Toppo though. He wasn't useless or weak as you keep claiming either. Being in the same realm as Blue Goku doesn't make him weak.
He never managed to as much as slightly discomfort Toppo. When 17 hit Toppo he at least budged and went "mpf!" like if he felt it, even agianst his regular projectile attacks. Meanwhile, when weak ass Gohan hit Toppo (which he by the way only managed to do ONCE, he missed with every single other attack he tried) with a full-powered ultimate kamehameha, Toppo, despite not having time to even guard himself against it, just shrugged it of as nothing and taunted Gohan with "So that's all you've got?".

17 fought Toppo, Gohan was just there failing to even land any hits on his opponent except for that one hit that the opponent obviously barely even felt.

Gohan was just downright embarassing against regular Toppo, and he went out in an unspectacular boring manner before the fight against the REAL Toppo even began.

Gohan was terrible during the entire tournament, he never did one single solitary impressive thing, not even once.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:55 am

Puaru wrote:
Kagari wrote:
He never managed to as much as slightly discomfort Toppo. When 17 hit Toppo he at least budged and went "mpf!" like if he felt it, even agianst his regular projectile attacks. Meanwhile, when weak ass Gohan hit Toppo (which he by the way only managed to do ONCE, he missed with every single other attack he tried) with a full-powered ultimate kamehameha, Toppo, despite not having time to even guard himself against it, just shrugged it of as nothing and taunted Gohan with "So that's all you've got?".

17 fought Toppo, Gohan was just there failing to even land any hits on his opponent except for that one hit that the opponent obviously barely even felt.

Gohan was just downright embarassing against regular Toppo, and he went out in an unspectacular boring manner before the fight against the REAL Toppo even began.

Gohan was terrible during the entire tournament, he never did one single solitary impressive thing, not even once.
The point was that both 17 and Gohan's attacks were useless.

That's why 17 kept running and tried to waste Toppo's time and stamina. 17 was annoying him but not because of his strength.

Gohan and 17 are in the exact same ball park but 17's stamina and abilities allowed him to last longer.

It was really just to get rid of Gohan because if they were smart they would have had Toppo vs Freeza and Gohan/17 vs Dyspo and the outcome would be a lot different.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:09 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
Torturephile wrote: It was quite annoying to see Piccolo be turned into a babysitter.
They should just write him off the show now. It's much better at this point. Humiliated by a bug, destroyed by chopsticks, one shotted by Tagoma, fodder in the U6 arc, background for Gohan, etc.

Have him go to Namek and become its protector and let him stay there in obscurity, if Super does come back in 2019.
I'd rather him getting a cool moment/fight/role. They managed to make 17 relevant and popular, it shouldn't really be hard to do so with Piccolo, a character that most of the fandom likes.
I think he had a few good moments in Super. His fight against Frost in the U6 tournament was pretty clever, and would have won if Frost hadn't cheated. When he and Gohan fight the two U6 Namekians was also pretty cool.

But yeah, I wish he'd get more "fight against 17 in Android Saga" moments, where he fights the main enemy alone and does really well either by sheer power or strategy.