What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:39 pm

TheOne wrote: But as far as the UI thing goes, we don’t know which Gods of Destructions know UI or don’t. They have been very careful in saying that it’s not “easily” attained by them and not that none of them have attained it.

The fact that Goku obtained it in 40 plus minutes is ridiculous in itself. Are they trying to tell us he wasn’t pushed to his limits with Hit or Merged Zamasu? It’s bad storytelling. I would’ve been completely on board if we at least saw a glimpse of something in a different arc. Not even defeating a villain. Just moments that showed that there’s something bigger brewing. (The moment where Gokus body dodged Beerus in their first encounter doesn’t count).
I was aware of the semantics issue, sadly didn't referred to that back then - it's clear that the Gods of Destruction have stepped into the Ultra Instict, but as you mentioned, they're far from mastering it. And here comes jolly Goku and does that in less than 40 minutes. Also, having him attaining it in the manga after being pummeled by Jiren and run out of all of his tricks would've been FAR better than the Roshi thing they went with. This gimmick ain't working on Westerners, don't know how the Japanese people took it.

sintzu
Banned

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:40 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Independent of this, discussion of upcoming chapters should not occur until their official release within the pages of Shueisha's V-Jump magazine and/or digital release in English on Viz's website.
Whether or not people should wait for the full chapter won't change the fact that they want to talk about it as leaks come out so locking everything down and constantly monitoring other topics seems like more trouble than it's worth when you can simply leave the main manga topic opened. When we didn't know for sure if Broly was the villain of the movie you (or another mod) locked the movie's topic down which resulted in multiple other topics turning into a Broly discussion, something that could've easily been avoided by leaving the movie's topic open.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:53 pm

Bergamo wrote:Jiren eliminates Roshi with a single karate chop. The people who said that Roshi fought toe to toe with Jiren were wrong. Roshi does no damage to Jiren, but dodges a few of his attacks. In the end Jiren beats him without breaking a sweat.

After missing him like, 50 times.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:54 pm

TheOne wrote: What context could you possibly need having Roshi dodge Jirens attacks? Seriously. It’s absurd
Random page you didn't get to see: "Jiren accidentally trips while fighting Goku and a shard of kryptonite jams him in the butt."

Random page you didn't get to see: "The Omni Kings gave Roshi a one-time power boost."

Random page you didn't get to see: "Toribot shows up and fusion dances with Roshi, giving him the biggest power boost ever seen in the series."

Random page you didn't get to see: "Jiren decides to hold back."

There, context. Multiple contexts, even. Those explain everything. Is it so hard to wait 3 days for the chapter to come out officially in full in English before making snap judgments? I'd say this is about as bad as forming your opinions based on clickbait headlines, but it's more like forming your opinions based on random individual words from said clickbait headline.

But manic pandemonium is more fun, I suppose.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:00 pm

dbgtFO wrote:Way too fast paced. TOP just does not fit a manga format.
There's too much stuff and maybe Toyotaro is only allotted a set number of chapters to tell the story before having to move on to promoting the movie.
I liked Hit getting wrecked though!
It’s a battle royale... Having a super-power like Kale eliminate a lot of people makes sense and I give Toyotarou props for doing that.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:04 pm

DHM211 wrote:The TOP arc is 90% spectacle and 10% story so I don’t dont see how the Manga can best the Anime, especially considering how beautiful episodes like 109/110, 130, 131, amongst others, looked.
It’s animated and has colour...

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:05 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
Bergamo wrote:Jiren eliminates Roshi with a single karate chop. The people who said that Roshi fought toe to toe with Jiren were wrong. Roshi does no damage to Jiren, but dodges a few of his attacks. In the end Jiren beats him without breaking a sweat.

After missing him like, 50 times.
This is probably an over exaggeration on your part but the full chapter isn’t out yet

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:15 pm

TheOne wrote:
TKA wrote:You people are so cartoonish. Making judgments even though spoilers are devoid of context. Lol.
What context could you possibly need having Roshi dodge Jirens attacks? Seriously. It’s absurd
Jiren holding back in extreme measures out of respect for the elderly.

And I believe there will be an explanation for why Gohan is able to handle Kefla equally which is also ridiculous.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:48 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:Don't act like the anime were any better. Beerus and the other Gods of Destruction spent MILLIONS of years trying to achieve this legendary technique, the Ultra Instinct, and failed, and yet somehow this random 40-yo-old Saiyan is able to master it in 30 minutes? I don't care if Goku is a prodigy. I don't care if he learned the Kamehameha in five minutes. Ultra Instinct is clearly a much more advanced technique than that stupid ki blast that even fodder characters can do, if it makes even the Gods of Destruction open their mouth in astonishment. Give me a break.
Yeah no. Goku at UI is fine. Goku is a prodigy of a race that is biologically designed for battle. It makes sense that Goku and any Saiyans would have a much greater aptitude for fighting abilities and evolution within fighting styles than the gods who aren't part of a race who exists to fight. Goku was able to learn the Spirit Bomb and Kaio Ken which were techniques that Kaio sama developed over a long period of time. He is one of only two Saiyans to train in god ki and to be trained by Whis who was trying to get them to understand UI.

Goku being a Saiyan makes him much more likely to have his body go into UI than any other race and the fact that he is even a prodigy amongst Saiyans increases that dramatically.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Skar wrote:
ricky84 wrote:Caulifla, Kefla and Kale are surprising really popular nowadays despite initial hate. A lot of people like Toppo as well (many preferring him over Jiren) and think Aniraza is a cool design.
Has there been a recent character poll in Japan? I'm wondering how you came to conclusion. I liked Toppo and thought Aniraza had a cool design but not I'm aware of many people like them outside of this forum.
Well even the writers of the anime's ToP arc pointed out how surprisingly popular Cauilfa and Kale are (at least in Japan). Plus, those 2 already have more fanart out there than most DB characters.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Meshack wrote:
DHM211 wrote:The TOP arc is 90% spectacle and 10% story so I don’t dont see how the Manga can best the Anime, especially considering how beautiful episodes like 109/110, 130, 131, amongst others, looked.
It’s animated and has colour...
So was Toriyama's original manga but it still holds up well and in my opinion much better than Z anime adaptation. So that's not a excuse, a good mangaka can make things work but Toyotaro isn't that. The debut of UI "Omen" had absolutely no weight here at all.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:39 pm

Even DBZ anime surpassed the original manga in some fight scenes with their "filler."

People have to discern that the anime has more power to make the audience feel much more with the ability of movement, sound effects and music. Which is why I always preferred anime over manga in general.

Now as far as structure of the TOP, I feel the manga did better cause it has more of a "free for all" feeling than the anime's one on one focused fights.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:47 pm

TKA wrote:
TheOne wrote: What context could you possibly need having Roshi dodge Jirens attacks? Seriously. It’s absurd
Random page you didn't get to see: "Jiren accidentally trips while fighting Goku and a shard of kryptonite jams him in the butt."

Random page you didn't get to see: "The Omni Kings gave Roshi a one-time power boost."

Random page you didn't get to see: "Toribot shows up and fusion dances with Roshi, giving him the biggest power boost ever seen in the series."

Random page you didn't get to see: "Jiren decides to hold back."

There, context. Multiple contexts, even. Those explain everything. Is it so hard to wait 3 days for the chapter to come out officially in full in English before making snap judgments? I'd say this is about as bad as forming your opinions based on clickbait headlines, but it's more like forming your opinions based on random individual words from said clickbait headline.

But manic pandemonium is more fun, I suppose.
Every single explanation you gave was utter garbage. None of it even remotely relatable and possible. The degree of which Jiren would have to hold back against Roshi is unrealistic. He’d have to go out of his way to not knock him out in a fight that decides the fate of his universe.

There are certain things that could potentially be “explained” like Kefla and Gohan. And there’s certain things that are just pure fan service and ruin the flow of things like Roshi even thinking about facing Jiren. Toriyama could vomit something completely contradictory to everything in the series, and there will be people who will just eat it up. The guy can’t even keep with the details of his own series at times. Completely forgot about the Broly movies. Like I stated earlier, don’t be sheep. Someone stated this earlier. Not sure what he can get away with in Japan, but in the Western side of the world, you can’t get away with crap writing. I whole heartedly agree.
How i predict the tournament will end:

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:56 pm

Green_Goblin wrote:No creativity (show me one NEW character people now love out of the 70 we got there,
People like Caulifa. Katopesla is pretty popular.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:01 pm

theTUN wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:No creativity (show me one NEW character people now love out of the 70 we got there,
People like Caulifa. Katopesla is pretty popular.
Katopesla was mocked for being a joke character who doesn't realize where he stands in terms of power and only posed around with his "Mode Changes". Caulifla was never likeable at any forum/community I've came across.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:18 pm

The Super anime apologists are ridiculous. The whole Roshi vs Jiren thing can be explained by one thing: he wasn't taking him seriously. Period.

Where was the outrage when Cell backhanded Mr.Satan and survived? Or when Mr.Satan dodged kid buu's attacks and survived that encounter?

I find it equally ridiculous that the same people are outraged over Gohan vs Kefla. Gohan, the child prodigy with the most potential out of all the Z fighters. Where was the outrage when Trunks not only fought on par with merged Zamasu, but defeated him? "Oh but it was Trunks' arc it was his moment to shine." What about the constant stamina issues in the anime? "Used up all my energy brb, jk lol" time and time again. A17 being able to go toe to toe with Jiren? What a joke.
Last edited by supersaiyanZero on Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:23 pm

All jokes, memes, hate and vitriol aside …

This, if handled correctly, has the potential to be huge. If there can be an explanation that makes Roshi go toe-to-toe with Jiren (even though he's not at 100%), such as UI being available for the likes of Roshi and the other humans and Piccolo, this could be their ticket to get them back in the game, to make them relevant again. We wanted a transformation for the humans - the UI could be it.

And frankly, I don't care if the humans pull UI out of their asses without the training Goku did - at this point I'm so hungry to see them actually do stuff after so many years, I don't really care how they'll do it.

Some people keep taking Z powerscaling into a ridiculous degree and I blame the accursed scouters for that - which turned out to be the single worst idea in DB history.

I'm so sick and tired of everybody predetermining the outcome of a battle based solely on a number instead of tactics and abilities. My personal hope is that Dragon Ball will stop making the battles so one-sided and will gradually have all the fighters constantly update their repertoire of moves in order to really give us the impression they're evolving … and not all fights between the same characters will go the way they went before.

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:23 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote: Where was the outrage when Trunks not only fought on par with merged Zamasu, but defeated him?
Everywhere. People have been complaining about it non stops since it happened.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Lol, the threads get locked but people still just go somewhere else to discuss it anyway. I'm not sure why they do it.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:25 pm

theTUN wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote: Where was the outrage when Trunks not only fought on par with merged Zamasu, but defeated him?
Everywhere. People have been complaining about it non stops since it happened.
I'm talking about the people who defend this craptastic moment in the anime and on the flipside rage at Toyo for something like Gohan defeating Kefla. Idiotic hypocrisy at it's finest.