It's cool how Super shows Chi-Chi and #18 as best friends

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

It's cool how Super shows Chi-Chi and #18 as best friends

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:33 am

If you've been around this subforum, you would know I am not the biggest fan of Dragon Ball Super but I actually like the slice-of-episodes. While I still have my complaints about them, they are consistently the best offerings from the anime. One of the things I like most about them are the various character interactions.

One interaction is the few between Chi-Chi and #18 which depict them as being best friends. I honestly much more believable than Chi-Chi being besties with Bulma (who has a lot of chasing personality traits and values) and it's much more meaningful too as #18 doesn't seem like the type to make friends but she did. We see their friendship when they hung around each other through Bulma's birthday party, #18 was the first person Chi-Chi told about the "picnic", and they were shopping at the mall together.

The first connection must be that Goku and Krillin are already the best of friends so they must've bonded on that basis. Another may be that they can really relate due to their checkered lives ( warrior princess --> martial artist --> housewife = runaway delinquent --> enslaved fighting machine --> housewife).

But you might asking why the "cool, sarcastic" #18 would hang with someone as obnoxious as the "nagging, overbearing" Chi-Chi? Maybe #18 really appreciates realness and isn't just a.... no... I'm better than that...

Anyways, I would love to see Super expand on their relationship when it comes back.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Re: It's cool how Super shows Chi-Chi and #18 as best friends

Post by Diccolo-420 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:01 am

Honestly if Super was just slice of life episodes it would probably have been even better, Z could have benefited from some of those to break between all the action.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:20 am

It's even cooler to see Goku develop friendships with both 17 and 18 in this current saga.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:39 am

Diccolo-420 wrote:Honestly if Super was just slice of life episodes it would probably have been even better, Z could have benefited from some of those to break between all the action.
Idk about better than Z, but the slice of life stuff were definitely the best parts

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:43 am

It's these little character moments that I always appreciated from the anime over the manga.

Really helps sell how far these fan favourite characters have come, and shows that underneath the power and fighting, they're still people that have their own lives and deal with their own issues. There's a certain charm to the way these characters interact when the universe isn't at stake and nobody's at risk of dying.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:17 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:It's these little character moments that I always appreciated from the anime over the manga.

Really helps sell how far these fan favourite characters have come, and shows that underneath the power and fighting, they're still people that have their own lives and deal with their own issues. There's a certain charm to the way these characters interact when the universe isn't at stake and nobody's at risk of dying.
I'm a fan of Super anyway but I still love the character moments in Super.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Goku and Krillin are best friends from childhood so it's natural, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯