Theming and motivation for the new movie saiyan.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Theming and motivation for the new movie saiyan.

Post by Master Xar » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:39 am

Hello, if you’re reading this I encourage you to read to the end.

I was brainstorming myself for a good bit while listening to some music and I thought to myself of what could be a good duality or clash from the movie and what could be an interesting take on the movies intrigue for both the Villain, Goku, and even Vegeta. I know this is going to be a bit of a detriment to a lot of folks, but the saiyan is not going to be a villain out to destroy the world, or at least not some big overpowering force, but please hear me out with these two themes...

Personal Win Vs. Personal Loss

Ambitious Unsatisfaction Vs. Frustrated Unsatisfaction

I ask the question... What would happen to Goku if all his fights were to end in Absolutes every. single. time? One-sided in either/or situation? Where he would either absolutely crush his opponent or get demolished? No way of even suppressing his power to do it either? Where would he end up?
And yes before you point it out yes I’ve seen OPM this is more of a different more varied version of say... Saitama’s life where he both has crushing losses as WELL as wins

And Vegeta, if he had succeeded in killing Freeza and taking over the universe as the strongest around (at the time) and killed Kakarot, his only real rival and other remaining full-blooded saiyan. Would Vegeta and the yearning fighting blood that courses through his veins be truly content?

That’s where our new saiyan comes in. He is similar yet different to Goku in a way. And you can see where I’m going with this. He grew up an extremely weak, but belligerent and violent kid (even by saiyan standards), he would fight older or similar saiyans his age constantly to try to get a good fight, but they were always ahead of him, and even with tactics and tenacity he’d get one-shot or brutally beat down... he is left unsatisfied

Frustrated he trains either alone, or with a bad teacher that doesn’t give him even or close spars or doesn’t hold back thus crushing him in one-sided fights all the time, he’ll introduce way weaker fighters for the saiyan to test how far he has come, but they are all weak (imagine like the one scene with Kid Vegeta vs Saibamen) he grows up bored out of his mind with repetitive training with no one he could call a rival, not one close fight... ever, to a saiyan that’s mind-numbing. He had fought and one-sidedly beat one particular annoyingly “unsaiyan-like” Saiyan in particular that got on his nerves but stuck out to him.

Years later. He hears about the close fight of incredibly powerful saiyans with golden (or green since it’s the original saiyans) hair fighting the royals! and that he and other saiyans had to leave, he goes against this and flies to witness the fight and sees one of the fighters and he looks vaguely familiar... then it hits him that he was the saiyan boy he fought years prior, he goes to confront him, and for a brief, but meaningful conversation. the fight grows too intense and the saiyan finds an emergency escape pod at the last minute similar to Goku, he goes off-course from the other saiyans and never sees them again...

From that point on he grows ever frustrated, with no Saiyans the on-sided fights grew even MORE one-sided everytime he faced someone who crushed him, he’d get inwardly upset, train REALLY hard to fight them again and it would be once again... another one-sided fight only in his favor, he overtrained... this happens CONSTANTLY, he is fueled by frustration and anger, at one point he decides if you aren’t gonna give him an even, close fight you’re as good as dead to him and sought to kill them as he deemed them worthless. He feels you are disrespecting his right and honor as a WARRIOR to give him a good fight, he invents a personal ability for finding a new challenge, but he learns some hard information from an alien he fights, similar to the Kanassans only this time more so clairvoyant than precognitive... that he is done...

to that point that... he became the strongest in the universe at that point in the past. (outside of the gods, but he doesn’t know this) he was beyond pissed his title and rights as a warrior was stolen to him. How could the world and incidentally himself be denied the right to the fight every warrior should have? He wasted his life and an idea strikes him...

Angry he goes to a planet of smart alien creatures and bullies them into giving him a device that cryogenically freezes him to the present Dragonball.

Continuing later... but let me know if you like the backstory!

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Theming and motivation for the new movie saiyan.

Post by emperior » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:52 pm

First of all, thanks for the One Punch Man spoilers... I would suggest you to put a spoiler tag for that, because people who have only seen the anime like me will get spoiled.

As for the Saiyan, I feel like him either stomping or getting stomped would be way too complicated to portray, and it's not something that makes a lot of sense in the DB world, in my opinion.
I would like this new foe to be a Saiyan who used to be pure but was later corrupted by power and an unsatiable will to always fight stronger fighters, which lead to him getting almost insane when he reached a level where he couldn't find anyone capable of giving him the good fight he dreamed of, with each fight being a stomp in his favor. This could actually work, because it would be a nice parallel to Goku, who would in turn be the one to finally give this Saiyan his dream fight.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:20 pm

If he wasn't stronger than the gods back then he's just going to wake up and be stomped again.

I don't see where you're going with this. In what way would this backstory/contrast play out once the story starts? An impetus for a fight to start, okay. But then what? A good fight ensues and he has a cathartic release? How does that impact Goku or Vegeta? Or the story going forward?

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:25 am

emperior wrote:First of all, thanks for the One Punch Man spoilers... I would suggest you to put a spoiler tag for that, because people who have only seen the anime like me will get spoiled.

As for the Saiyan, I feel like him either stomping or getting stomped would be way too complicated to portray, and it's not something that makes a lot of sense in the DB world, in my opinion.
I would like this new foe to be a Saiyan who used to be pure but was later corrupted by power and an unsatiable will to always fight stronger fighters, which lead to him getting almost insane when he reached a level where he couldn't find anyone capable of giving him the good fight he dreamed of, with each fight being a stomp in his favor. This could actually work, because it would be a nice parallel to Goku, who would in turn be the one to finally give this Saiyan his dream fight.
I... didn’t say any spoilers with Saitama I only contrasted him toward the Saiyan. Saitama in general has the one-sided fights in his favor up to that point in the anime, I only saw the anime too, lol.

I expanded on why he does it from his childhood where other Saiyan kids his age were always ahead of him, thus he trains until he is sure he is at their level only to later realize he overtrained, it’s a vicious cycle of absolute win and loss that frustrates him to no end. With what I expanded with him on another forum it adds to him a bit.

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:36 am

Simere wrote:If he wasn't stronger than the gods back then he's just going to wake up and be stomped again.

I don't see where you're going with this. In what way would this backstory/contrast play out once the story starts? An impetus for a fight to start, okay. But then what? A good fight ensues and he has a cathartic release? How does that impact Goku or Vegeta? Or the story going forward?
Depends actually, standards with gods back then could have been higher or lower. The gods back then could be even stronger than our present ones.

This was just theming for the story. I write backwards. It’s a structure, the barebones. I imagine the final fight or scene and you have to wonder “why are these characters fighting? What drives them? Why are they fighting there? Why is the battle setting and character are as battle damaged or messed up as they are? How do they look at each other?”

Btw I scrapped that he’d kill them, seems a bit too far.

As for everything else, that’s depends really, it’s more like Beerus where he served as a catalyst for future events, as he fights Goku and Vegeta and the scenes in-between we learn more of saiyan history, why they are the way they are, then the his arrival has caused an onset of horrible events for the future like how Beerus mentioned the other universes. As far as Goku and Vegeta, their fights with him could teach them or cause them to look inward to how they are and what they can learn from a saiyan of old, not as a teacher, but as a veteran giving advice. This is just an idea though off the top of my head.

I revised him quite a bit if you want to see it. I expanded on his backstory and relation to other saiyans.