Kai Episode 115 (03 August 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Kai Episode 115 (03 August 2014)

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:36 pm

Puto wrote:I actually didn't mind the ‘disco’ song being played when Gokū broke out of the rock, but the heroic song for Boo's revival is just ridiculous.
For me it's the other way around. The disco-song was completely absurd, but I can at least detect a little bit of tension in the Boo revival tune. I mean it still sounds way too triumphant, but at least I can kinda detect the tiniest bit of dramatic-ness in it.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:41 pm

kei17 wrote:Speaking of the digitally traced shots, they reduced the flashing effect in this shot:

Episode 96

Episode 115
Actually, the shot's identical to the shot in regular Kai (which was redrawn and had no flashing), it just seems the first image was from a YouTube video. :P

Q-Tec remastering VS Toei Digital Lab remastering (Source : untouched HDTV versions)
Yikes! Kai's sky was already quite green in that fight, and now it outright looks like Namek. :shock:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:16 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Actually, the shot's identical to the shot in regular Kai (which was redrawn and had no flashing), it just seems the first image was from a YouTube video. :P
They still seem different in motion to me. The first image is from a TV rip, and it's blurred by Fuji TV because it was still too bright for them to air as-is despite the effect already being reduced by Toei. They seem to have reduced it even more this time and it aired without any additional blurring effects.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 pm

I see.

It's amazing anyone could consider the untouched, redrawn shot to be seizure inducing.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Here's a shot from my HDTV rips, it looks identical compared to Kei17's one :
So as Kei17 says, this blurring effect seems exclusive to Fuji TV & its affiliates.
And for (totally useless) comparison's sake, the HDTV version from Hong-Kong:
Metalwario64 wrote:
kei17 wrote:Speaking of the digitally traced shots, they reduced the flashing effect in this shot:
Yikes! Kai's sky was already quite green in that fight, and now it outright looks like Namek. :shock:
Yes, especially when compared to older masters, it's completely denatured! (FUNi single discs) :

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:08 pm

I really have no way of defending this episode, does this not go through a quality check or Toei's standards are so low?
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:36 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:So I put together a very sarcastic video showcasing the points I made in my initial post about the music placement being totally haphazard - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFgEKGqwRV0
Call me crazy, but based solely on your video, I honestly don't think the placement is as bad or ill-fitting as you make it out to be. One could argue the scene with Goku bashing Vegeta with rocks warrants an upbeat piece, as it shows our hero getting a second wind and taking control of the fight.

Was the Buu hatching scene played right at the end of the episode? The track sounds like the kind of anticipatory music commonly placed before a show's ending credits kick in. It sounds more dramatic than celebratory to me. At least it fits Babidi and Dabura's state of mind. :lol:

I do agree that the shifting between serious and upbeat tracks sounds a bit jarring.
Last edited by ParkerAL on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:39 pm

The disco part almost felt like a parody.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:47 pm

I actually like the BGM used for Boo's arrival. It's great bulid up music and doesn't sound heroic. Gives more of a "something big is about to happen" type of feeling.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:55 pm

I went into this episode after reading some of the comments on here expecting a mess, but in my opinion it wasn't nearly as bad as it's being made out to be. The only thing that I completely agree with was that the sudden upbeat to serious music shift in the fight was a bit weird but the "disco" track itself didn't bother me because, as ParkerAL said, it sort of fit Goku getting himself back into the fight. I'm not hearing heroic at all on that last piece with Buu's ball. I thought it was a more serious, tension building track that worked fine.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:08 pm

I fail to see how 2:45 in my video is anything but heroic or celebratory. It sounds like the theme for the end of a goddamn tournament. It's something that Mr. Satan would walk out to! It has absolutely no semblance of something to be feared. None whatsoever.

As for the disco track, yeah, don't get me wrong, I get what they're going for there. Woo, Goku is back in action! It's just not appropriate whatsoever. This is a clash of two titans in the series and that track has absolutely no business being there. That's the type of crap you use for comebacks during a non-serious moment in a tournament. Heck, I'm fairly sure it was used in such a manner previously.

If you take a look at the original again, you can hear them using anticipatory or 'heroic' music in Boo's pre-awakening but it's actually done well. It begins sinister and establishes the intended tone before then transitioning into the lead up to the end of the episode and credits. Kai just hops straight in there with a totally absurd track that makes Kaioshin look like a madman. He's stood their panicking about Boo and there's this huge victorious track in background. It's verging on contrapuntal!

Sorry guys, I totally disagree.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:26 am

-bites lip- I liked this week's episode. They kept my favorite animation, the music placement never phased me, and the ending's grown on me.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:53 am

Black_Liger wrote:I really have no way of defending this episode, does this not go through a quality check or Toei's standards are so low?
They don't give a decent budget to freaking One Piece, the king of mangas in Japan.
Do you think they would waste money and effort on something made only for us filthy foreigners? Ha!

This is just too painful for me. I used to be a big Dragon Ball Kai fan...
I even appreciated the show with its shortcomings, like how the redrawn scenes pretty much ruined iconic moments of the series, or how the replacement score was placed.
This, however, is too much.
They are not just doing a terrible job at this point, they are pretty much shitting on my childhood.

And for what? For 20 episodes less of filler?
You know Kai is shit when you can't even rely on it to skip filler anymore.

I stopped watching the JP broadcast, but at this point i don't even think i will bother with the International version.
I'm going back to Z. I throught Kai 1.0 was the definitive version of the show.

How wrong and foolish i was.

Screw you Toei, you're the worst piece of shit company ever. Also congratulations Sumitomo, now i consider you the worst composer in Dragon Ball history. Yes, Faulconer is BETTER THAN YOU!

THAT DISCO TRACK... UGH

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:53 am

Yeah, I also went to see the episode after reading some comments from here so I was expecting something much worse. The episode was overall enjoyable (although I miss the echoed screams :cry: ). Didn't think the music with Goku and the rocks was well-placed but since I don't really like it, it wouldn't really matter if it was placed accordingly. The last music is really good and I understand why some people didn't like it's placement but, to me, it felt like a "fights everywhere"+"too late, there's nothing you can do now"+"end of episode" kind of music.

I know this isn't a proper screenshot but was this scene retraced? The way they are drawn seems a bit different than normal Z animation.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:37 am

Flame Dragon wrote:

I throught Kai 1.0 was the definitive version of the show.
I don't really see it this way. I don't think Kai is there to replace the original by any means. I see it as an alternate version or interpretation.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:06 am

Well, Goku hung off a cliff this week when they easily could of edited it to him just being thrown into the wall...FUCK. Looks like my prediction of this fight being reduced by only one episode will come to pass. I'll give toei some credit though, even with Vegeta's (shortened) flashback being kept, the editors took care to edit out any story contradicting shit. So even with kai buu's bloated run time, I can at the very least say Toei is taking more care with story presentation here than they did when making Z, so that's saying something.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:44 pm

So wait. After TWO iterations of getting stuff chopped off (first from Z to International Kai and then from International Kai to Japan Kai), you still think the show is too bloated and long?
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:58 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Two lengthy flashbacks, disco music during key moments of the Goku vs Vegeta fight, and horribly uplifting music placed during the rumbling of Boo's shell; not to mention the terrible editing in that scene also.

I could not get into this week's episode whatsoever. It's one of the most beloved moments of the arc and it was entirely ruined by utterly amateur work. Who on earth thinks it's acceptable to play that disco music track and then seconds later bring in the 'apocalypse inbound' track?! Who sits there and goes, yeah, you know what?! That works! Entirely talentless decision making. It is infuriating to endure.

I'm starting to get sick of this show. There's only so much up and down I can take before I start to wonder what the fucking point is. I've tried to be optimistic with show but goddamn, this is impossible. I was happy to take Kai if the occasional episode or clip was going to be shoddy but this is ridiculous now.

If I didn't find the audio quality of the Dragon Boxes so unbearable nowadays, I wouldn't even give this another look. One week I'm reminded why I give this show a chance every week and the next I'm questioning why on earth I even bother anymore.

This isn't even close to being the worst its been but it's such a defining and memorable episode that you have to be an absolute moron to fuck it up. So yeah, I'm pretty fucking mad right now. Probably irrationally so because it's a damn TV show but whatever.
Let the weaboo rage flow through you.
Huh, so this week's Kai episode boils down to being part of the Japanese Kai and not the International Kai.

When an episode is good it means that it's the International Edition and then when it's shitty then well, that's because it was made precisely to air in Japan.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:18 pm

Thought this episode was cool, aside from Ebisawa's terrible animation. I also thought whatever BGM that played when Goku freed himself from the wall didn't really fit the scene. Other than that, I think it flowed pretty well.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:44 am

Puto wrote:So wait. After TWO iterations of getting stuff chopped off (first from Z to International Kai and then from International Kai to Japan Kai), you still think the show is too bloated and long?
Seems fairly obvious that only the early TV Buu kai episodes were chopped down while episodes like the one we just got will be close to the international version.