1st Kanzenshuu Short Story - Tenkaichi Budokai

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

1st Kanzenshuu Short Story - Tenkaichi Budokai

Post by LightBing » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:32 pm

I had this idea from reading supercat's answers in the versus thread. A short story's tournament! Hear me out...

Objectives:
-Have fun!
-Train and improve writing skills and English.
-Expand the Dragon Ball Universe.

How it would work:
- Everyone is free to enter, even if you're average at English. I hope this helps you improve with everyone's support.
- Elimination Tournament: During the round each contestant writes a short story, that's pitted against each other, about a theme. The theme is generalized to everyone participating in said round.
The theme of each round is suggested by each contested and then draw. One new theme every round.
Ex:If the theme is "fight" you could write about: a fight that happened in the series, or about a character you created in the Dragon World fighting, what-if fights, Oolong and Muten Roshi fighting about the value of panties, someone imagining a fight,... Endless possibilities.
- Draw to determine matches.
- The story has to the be about Dragon Ball (obviously), apart from that freedom is total.
- The winner of each round is determined by user's votes. (Contestants can vote in matches they're not in)
- Between 150 and 750 words per story.(This is flexible but try not to abuse it)
- Minimum 8 contestants, maximum to be defined.
- Five days to write the story , five days for voting.
- A round begins 12 hours after I announce it here.(I'll give at least day notice in this thread)
- I'll create a thread after all story's are finalized.
- The winner get's bragging rights in his signature!
-Post the story here or PM it to me.

This is a rough draft of a rule set. I'm open to suggestions regarding anything, especially from participants.

I hope this takes off!

Contestants:
-LightBing - 1st Round Suggestion Theme "Survival"
-SSJ God Gogeta - 2nd Round Suggestion Theme "Food"
-Gyt Kaliba - 1st Round Suggestion Theme "Pairings"
-Sun-Wukong - 1st Round Suggestion Theme "Training"
-jcogginsa - 1st Round Suggestion Theme "Name" - 2nd Round Suggestion Theme "Name"
-Rocketman
-Kamiccolo9 - 1st Round Suggestion Theme "Food" - 2nd Round Suggestion Theme "Food"
-dae428 - 1st Round Suggestion Theme "Frustration"
-DragonDuck - 1st Round Suggestion Theme "Artifacts"
-supercat - 2nd Round Suggestion Theme "Battle"

Quarter-Finals: Completed
Thread: Vote here!
Theme: Artifacts

Match 1
SSJ God Gogeta vs LighBing
Winner:SSJ God Gogeta-71,42%

Match 2
Sun-Wukong vs Kamiccolo9
Winner:Kamiccolo9-87,50%

Match 3
jcogginsa vs dae428
Winner:jcogginsa-66,66%

Match 4
Gyt Kaliba vs Rocketman vs supercat*
Winner:supercat by default

*supercat replaced DragonDuck

**The Semi-finals turned into Final.

Finals: Completed
Thread: Vote here!
Theme: Food

Match 5
Kamiccolo9 vs jcogginsa vs supercat
Winner:Kamiccolo9-71,42%

Champion:Kamiccolo9

Thank you to all the participants and voters. It was fun reading all these Dragon Ball story's.

Last Update:10/08/15 - 21:15 UTC
Last edited by LightBing on Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 25 times in total.

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Re: 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story - Tenkaichi Budokai

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:52 pm

This sounds like fun! Count me in.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:43 pm

I'd join but I hate it when my writing is bound by a schedule.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:32 pm

Huh. I'd actually just been thinking about making my DB fic (my ongoing one) officially 'shelved' for the forseeable future (due to Super and all), and switch to writing something else...

...but I don't see any reason why I can't do something different that's Dragon Ball related. I'm definitely up for this!
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:26 am

Yeah, I'm up for this.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:40 am

Added these lines in the opening thread:
- The theme of each round is suggested by each contested and then draw.
Ex:If the theme is "fight" you could write about: a fight that happened in the series, or about a character you created in the Dragon World fighting, what-if fights, Oolong and Muten Roshi fighting about the value of panties, someone imagining a fight,... Endless possibilities.
Polyphase Avatron wrote:I'd join but I hate it when my writing is bound by a schedule.
For this type of format it's essential. Hope you change your mind.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:29 pm

i'll give this a shot

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:44 pm

So I thought of something else while at work that might need addressing - is there going to be a certain format that naming schemes need to be kept too? Certain things are probably obvious, like 'Tenshinhan' and 'Freeza' rather than 'Tien' and 'Frieza' because of the filters if nothing else, but what about like 'Kuririn' versus 'Krillin'? Or, uh...I dunno, 'Gurd' versus 'Guldo', and so on. Basically what I'm asking is will there be a guideline as far as naming schemes goes, or will that more or less be up to the individual writers?

Also, you mention the themes of each round is suggested and then drawn - could you elaborate a bit further? Is it one theme per match/round, or is it one theme per contestant? I'd assume the former, since that would lend more to the competition. And should we post our theme suggestions here, or PM them to you? Sorry for all the questions, just wanna be clear on things, I'm pretty excited for this. :mrgreen:
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:04 pm

I'm interested.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:04 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:So I thought of something else while at work that might need addressing - is there going to be a certain format that naming schemes need to be kept too? Certain things are probably obvious, like 'Tenshinhan' and 'Freeza' rather than 'Tien' and 'Frieza' because of the filters if nothing else, but what about like 'Kuririn' versus 'Krillin'? Or, uh...I dunno, 'Gurd' versus 'Guldo', and so on. Basically what I'm asking is will there be a guideline as far as naming schemes goes, or will that more or less be up to the individual writers?

Also, you mention the themes of each round is suggested and then drawn - could you elaborate a bit further? Is it one theme per match/round, or is it one theme per contestant? I'd assume the former, since that would lend more to the competition. And should we post our theme suggestions here, or PM them to you? Sorry for all the questions, just wanna be clear on things, I'm pretty excited for this. :mrgreen:
It's up to the writers, I don't wanna take away the possibility of meta-jokes or stuff like that. Of course if you name a character after some obscure dub and nobody get's it, it's on the individual.
One theme per round for everyone in the round. Like you said better for competition and fun to see where people's mind wander.
About that last part, you can post it here and I'll put it next to a person's name.

No problem at all, keep them coming. I though of this on the spot so any help is welcomed.

I'm thinking of making specific threads for the rounds; where the Story's are all neatly organized at the top. This thread would be for voting, general talk and displaying the results and miscellaneous with, of course, a bracket because it's a Tenkaichi Budokai!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:13 pm

Looks interesting
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Count me in. I've been needing an excuse to get back into writing my short stories anyway :P
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:41 pm

Added some lines to the opening post. I also suggested "Survival" as a theme for the 1st round. The people already in can suggest theirs. With a person away from the minimum, this might be starting soon. Still waiting to see if we can get new entrants.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:14 pm

I guess I can try my hand at this... I haven't written anything close to a story in ages, but I suppose it'll do me some good.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:56 pm

Thanks for the answers. Glad to see at least the minimum number of people coming together for this so quickly!

'Survival' eh? I might need a bit more clarification on what that theme is whenever it comes up, but my mind is already throwing together a few ideas. As for my own theme suggestion...hmm...how about...you know, I think I'm gonna go simple on this one. 'Pairings'. I'd like to see people try their hands at a pairing fic. Doesn't have to be a 'how they got together' type story, it could just be a cute little moment; doesn't have to be an established pairing, it can be a crack pairing of doom. Let's just see the love, baby.
Twitter

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:58 pm

If we're throwing out themes, I'm putting a word in for "food." Let's encourage some diversity in themes here.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:03 pm

How's about each participant sends a theme to whoever's running this via PM, and each round that person picks a theme from the list.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:05 pm

jcogginsa wrote:How's about each participant sends a theme to whoever's running this via PM, and each round that person picks a theme from the list.
I'd prefer keeping it open. Just because a great theme isn't picked the first time around doesn't mean that someone else couldn't submit it next time. Making the proposed themes public allows people to come up with ideas for themes they may not have initially thought of otherwise.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:08 pm

fair enough

As a theme, i'll suggest "Name"

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:23 pm

So, I'll go ahead and post my story. Gyt, I think you'll like this one :P
Malik_DBNA wrote: