General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:31 pm

Broly right now, is little more than a plot device, because his character is just a big, mean, screaming, death machine (prior to Super Broly).

And all too often, I see Broly reborn to be redeemed or something in most fanfics. And then there's the disturbing ones that are best left unsaid.

The last couple of years, I've toyed around with Broly going on a rampage, generally in a crossover. But you can only do so much with mindless destruction. He's basically Doomsday, but can talk. Without the distinction of actually killing Goku though. Doomsday premiered in 1992, and was the catalyst for Death of Superman. Doomsday never talked, screamed, or anything. Just went on a rampage, bulldozed the Justice League, and fought Superman to a lethal draw.

So, trying to get more out characterizing Broly is not easy right now, with him as a central character. Though over the next few months, I'm fully expecting a bunch of fanfics with Broly to drop.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:So, trying to get more out characterizing Broly is not easy right now, with him as a central character.
Broly has a decent backstory and the stories surrounding him all have a great supporting figure in Paragus. it's definitely possible.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:01 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:So, trying to get more out characterizing Broly is not easy right now, with him as a central character.
Broly has a decent backstory and the stories surrounding him all have a great supporting figure in Paragus. it's definitely possible.
I think Broly's problem with regards to fic writers is that they're not good at portraying the psychological aspects of him and are caught too much in the trappings of DB where him being an action set piece is mandatory.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:21 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
I think Broly's problem with regards to fic writers is that they're not good at portraying the psychological aspects of him and are caught too much in the trappings of DB where him being an action set piece is mandatory.
The other half, they turn him into a completely different character, like being reincarnated or something. Really, just an OC with the name "Broly" slapped on.

Vertical
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vertical » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:17 pm

I would have to disagree with this. I find writing a decent version of Broly relatively simple...

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:46 pm

Vertical wrote:
I would have to disagree with this. I find writing a decent version of Broly relatively simple...
Making a good story with him as the central character? Not plot device, but character?

Can only have him smash so many people before it just becomes tedious.

Unless you mean inserting a personality that is essentially Vegeta when he was redeeming himself.

Vertical
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vertical » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
Vertical wrote:
Making a good story with him as the central character? Not plot device, but character?

Unless you mean inserting a personality that is essentially Vegeta when he was redeeming himself.
What I mean is that rewriting Broly with justified mental instability, strength, and anger/hatred (directed towards the main character of the series) isn't incredibly difficult to do well.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:12 pm

Vertical wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:
Vertical wrote: I would have to disagree with this. I find writing a decent version of Broly relatively simple...

What I mean is that rewriting Broly with justified mental instability, strength, and anger/hatred (directed towards the main character of the series) isn't incredibly difficult to do well.
That much? Yeah. But try and stretch it out for a story, and it just doesn't work for a number of reasons, with him as the central character. He's easy to characterize, but hard to make a good, compelling story with him as the main character without becoming a plot device.

Vertical
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vertical » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:13 am

Jackalope89 wrote:
Vertical wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote: Making a good story with him as the central character? Not plot device, but character?

That much? Yeah. But try and stretch it out for a story, and it just doesn't work for a number of reasons, with him as the central character. He's easy to characterize, but hard to make a good, compelling story with him as the main character without becoming a plot device.
That depends on what you're defining as a story.

A short manga run? Easy. A single movie? Easy. Follow up reappearance? Easy. A long running series with him as the central character? A bit harder... but honestly, still quite doable.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:50 am

Since the topic of Broly is all the rage these days, I can't help but wonder, is there any character you simply refuse to write about?

It's Broly for me, because I absolutely loathe almost everything about his character, and what he represents. The only good thing I'll say about him is that he has a cool design, but that's it.

I don't have much faith in Broly v2 from the new movie either. The fact that they brought Broly back yet again is concerning, but not surprising. I can just imagine Toei execs showing Toriyama charts and figures about how absurdly popular Broly is, particularly in the west, all the while whispering subtle hints in his ear that he should do his own take on Broly, and watch the money roll in.

While I have a great deal of respect for Toriyama, and have no doubt he can do a better version of Broly, not everything the man shits out is solid gold. Just look at the travesty that was Dragon Ball Minus.

As for fanfiction, the vast majority of times I've seen Broly portrayed has been as a mindless brute who serves as a giant obstacle to for the heroes to overcome, and nothing else. The only fanfics I've read that had a different take on Broly were Honor Trip and Bringer of Death, and Honor Trip almost made him too OOC. Granted, I haven't read a single fic in which Broly is the main character, as I just can't put myself through that, so my knowledge on the subject isn't that great.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:21 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:Since the topic of Broly is all the rage these days, I can't help but wonder, is there any character you simply refuse to write about
Bardock, not gonna touch that with a ten-foot pole. Well, unless that challenge from a while back about making Episode of Bardock, not shit gets taken up by me.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:18 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:Since the topic of Broly is all the rage these days, I can't help but wonder, is there any character you simply refuse to write about?
Not in the Dragon Ball Universe, no I think every character and concept could find an interesting avenue on the execution. Though I dislike spite fics and Fix-it Fics on principle, I usually only refuse to write about a character I dislike as I fear turning it into a spite fic.
ekrolo2 wrote:Bardock, not gonna touch that with a ten-foot pole. Well, unless that challenge from a while back about making Episode of Bardock, not shit gets taken up by me.
His existence in my fic is rather funny, mostly consisting of him either being in a dick measuring contest with Cooler or being a 'Bad Influence' on Pan while ignoring Raditz.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:54 pm

Outside of being used as throwaway/minor characters, OCs.

Though it generally goes with most fanfics, I don't like writing about OCs. And most of the time, reading about them. Male or female, they have a bad tendency of turning into a Mary Sue/Gary Stu kind of character.

Granted, that happens with established characters at times, but far more so with OCs.

I like reading about character interactions and the situations that they find themselves in, hence why I mostly read crossovers.

The only time I ever consider an OC (reading or writing), is if that OC subverts the norm.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:27 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:I can't help but wonder, is there any character you simply refuse to write about?
I'll touch Broly if I'm given a ten-foot pole of memes. But I will absolutely not touch the time travel aspect of the series due to how messy it tends to get, so due to that, I'm never going to write about Future Trunks (except maybe in flashbacks, I guess, or maybe if I have that ten-foot meme pole). I think that counts.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:39 am

Kanassa wrote:
TheGodfather93 wrote:Since the topic of Broly is all the rage these days, I can't help but wonder, is there any character you simply refuse to write about?
Though I dislike spite fics
Ahh. Those things. I've had to drop several Gohan-centric fics that had interesting premises because they quickly devolved into ruthlessly bashing on Chi-Chi.

I get why those kinds of stories are popular, but I don't like them, and I often find that the writer goes overboard with the character bashing. There's also the matter of making the character too OOC so there's more fuel for the bashing.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:49 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Though I dislike spite fics
Ahh. Those things. I've had to drop several Gohan-centric fics that had interesting premises because they quickly devolved into ruthlessly bashing on Chi-Chi.

I get why those kinds of stories are popular, but I don't like them, and I often find that the writer goes overboard with the character bashing. There's also the matter of making the character too OOC so there's more fuel for the bashing.
Yeah, as soon as I see character bashing in a fic, which tends to show up fairly early on, I drop said fics immediately.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:54 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:Yeah, as soon as I see character bashing in a fic, which tends to show up fairly early on, I drop said fics immediately.
I did one of those with Broly a couple years ago, mostly comedic in nature where he's pitted against Golden Freeza, Beerus, Whis,...all those characters and gets basically one-shotted in increasingly ridiculous ways to poke fun at him being "the strongest DB character!"-

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:59 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:Yeah, as soon as I see character bashing in a fic, which tends to show up fairly early on, I drop said fics immediately.
I did one of those with Broly a couple years ago, mostly comedic in nature where he's pitted against Golden Freeza, Beerus, Whis,...all those characters and gets basically one-shotted in increasingly ridiculous ways to poke fun at him being "the strongest DB character!"-
Crack fics are one thing. Those are meant to be ridiculous. I'm talking about the ones that aren't crack fics.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Crack fics are one thing. Those are meant to be ridiculous. I'm talking about the ones that aren't crack fics.
Does it really count as a crack fic when the spite was the motivation and the comedic aspect just something that happened almost by accident :P

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:05 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: I did one of those with Broly a couple years ago, mostly comedic in nature where he's pitted against Golden Freeza, Beerus, Whis,...all those characters and gets basically one-shotted in increasingly ridiculous ways to poke fun at him being "the strongest DB character!"-
Does it really count as a crack fic when the spite was the motivation and the comedic aspect just something that happened almost by accident :P
Yep.